Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Wetherspoons pubs

Read 3234 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Wetherspoons pubs
      Sep 11, 2016 07:49:54 pm
      I am known to my mates as a keen visitor of the chain of Wetherspoons pubs. To date have visited a modest total of around 37 pubs around the country. Including the dozen dotted around North Wales including the Sussex in my home town Rhyl.

I have called in 4 in the city of Liverpool including the impressive North Western by Lime street station, which even though packed seemed to have everything on the menu food wise. I have also visited pubs around the Manchester area, York Leeds and Harrogate where to date my favourite pub of this chain is the Winter gardens in Harrogate.

Ironically the worst Wetherspoons I have visited, is the Sussex in my home town of Rhyl, where they seem to run out of everything including curry on a Thursday which is curry night !  I just wondered if anyone else had the same interest as myself of visiting this chain of pubs and which is you favourite.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Wetherspoons pubs
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2016 08:01:29 pm
      I am known to my mates as a keen visitor of the chain of Wetherspoons pubs. To date have visited a modest total of around 37 pubs around the country. Including the dozen dotted around North Wales including the Sussex in my home town Rhyl.

I have called in 4 in the city of Liverpool including the impressive North Western by Lime street station, which even though packed seemed to have everything on the menu food wise. I have also visited pubs around the Manchester area, York Leeds and Harrogate where to date my favourite pub of this chain is the Winter gardens in Harrogate.

Ironically the worst Wetherspoons I have visited, is the Sussex in my home town of Rhyl, where they seem to run out of everything including curry on a Thursday which is curry night !  I just wondered if anyone else had the same interest as myself of visiting this chain of pubs and which is you favourite.

Being Irish I am fascinated by the idea of Wetherspoons, and pub chains in general. I have actually heard nothing but good things about the one off Lime Street from a few people. However not getting into Liverpool much I try to get around as much as I can when I do get over and that has eluded me so far.

Genuine question here, are they all similarly themed and similar menus etc. basically are they unapologetically a chain or is there more individuality to each one like most other pubs?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2016 08:03:48 pm
      Being Irish I am fascinated by the idea of Wetherspoons, and pub chains in general.

I didn't mean to come across so stereotypically there, not interested because I'm irish and we're all fond of a drink :roll: . I meant not being from the UK I find the idea of a pub chain fascinating! :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2016 02:16:56 pm
      not interested because I'm irish and we're all fond of a drink  . I meant not being from the UK I find the idea of a pub chain fascinating!
      ha ha... you'll be interested to hear that the bloke who founded 'Wetherspoons' [Tim Martin] was born in Belfast TK91. 

I've been in a few down the years and I love 'em - Bristol 'Knights Templar' (behind Temple Meads) being my favourite, for a good scran... the one in Belfast can cut up a bit rough but that's all part of the craic and you can get blootered for £20. You should give it a shout first chance you get.  :drinking:
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2016 03:26:23 pm by bad boy bubby »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Sep 12, 2016 02:34:54 pm
      Genuine question here, are they all similarly themed and similar menus etc. basically are they unapologetically a chain or is there more individuality to each one like most other pubs?

Generally they are all pretty much the same. You'll know when you have been to one because the plates are a depressing floral blue that look out dated and something you'd find in the back of a cupboard at your grans like. Well, all the ones I've been to anyway. Menu's are virtually the same except they don't all offer fried eggs, some just scrambled. Interiors are all pretty much the same too with a fair bit of a tacky gold coloured railings about.

Food is okay though and the drinks aren't massively over priced. Do decent enough offers on meals and drink included. Decent breakfast for about a fiver too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Sep 13, 2016 01:40:36 pm
      The unhealthiest high street breakfasts revealed (and why you should avoid Wetherspoon's 1,500-calorie fry up)

Health experts rated breakfast meals on salt, sugar, calorie and fat content
      Compared options from 11 chains including Starbucks and McDonald's
      GP Dr Wayne Osbourne ranked worst 11 items from each restaurant
      Wetherspoon's Large Breakfast comes top of nearly every category

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3786927/The-unhealthiest-high-street-breakfasts-revealed.html#ixzz4K8gcylka
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Sep 14, 2016 01:12:35 pm
      Decent breakfast for about a fiver too.
      I've only ever had them in Bristol but yeah, copious amounts of scran for £4.95 and although every bit as unhealthy as a greasy kebab; unlike kebabs, they're at least cooked in clean kitchens (from what I've seen anyhow).

F**k it now I'm missing my dirty, greasy kebab... nine months 'clean'.  :'( :laugh:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Sep 15, 2016 08:41:07 pm
      The unhealthiest high street breakfasts revealed (and why you should avoid Wetherspoon's 1,500-calorie fry up)

Health experts rated breakfast meals on salt, sugar, calorie and fat content
      Compared options from 11 chains including Starbucks and McDonald's
      GP Dr Wayne Osbourne ranked worst 11 items from each restaurant
      Wetherspoon's Large Breakfast comes top of nearly every category

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3786927/The-unhealthiest-high-street-breakfasts-revealed.html#ixzz4K8gcylka
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Spot on if you've been on the bevvies the night before.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2016 08:50:30 pm
      Spot on if you've been on the bevvies the night before.

Often go to Frankie and Benny's on a Friday breakfast of champions.

Quick Reply