Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

PC or Mac?

Read 6200 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      PC or Mac?
      Aug 12, 2016 11:18:00 am
      Seriously considering switching from Windows based PC/laptop to Macbook. Just looking for opinions on the benefits of doing this? I know one or two of you have previously done this yourselves.

I'm mainly looking for something that's going to last and has a really good sound card as well as a good performance rate.

Any one think switching to a Macbook is clearly the way forward?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: PC or Mac?
      Reply #1: Aug 12, 2016 12:19:42 pm
      Seriously considering switching from Windows based PC/laptop to Macbook. Just looking for opinions on the benefits of doing this? I know one or two of you have previously done this yourselves.

I'm mainly looking for something that's going to last and has a really good sound card as well as a good performance rate.

I guess it depends why you want to switch over from using a PC, personally I can't stand Apple Mac's, I think they are overpriced and you don't have the same range of software available. Having said that the computers are beautiful but as said you pay a hefty premium for it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Aug 12, 2016 12:42:38 pm

Had mine since 2011 and love it. Once you use it, you won't go back. Extended the memory on it and it's worked perfectly for me for 5 years.

It'll take you a week or two to really get used to it but i promise, you won't regret it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Aug 13, 2016 01:02:57 pm
      I think they are overpriced and you don't have the same range of software available.

They are expensive agreed - not sure that makes them overpriced.  I've got a imac from 9 years ago and a macbook from 4 years ago that are still going strong.  Don't ever remember having a PC for more than 2/3 years.

As for the range of software - don't think I've ever wished I had something on PC that I haven't been able to get. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4: Aug 14, 2016 03:21:16 am
      My son has a MAC, frustrates the living day lights out if me when I have to use it. And he's actually got malware on it where I never have on any of my pc's. I always thought I'd want one for my personal use but after using my sons's I wouldn't buy one.

That said, you likely won't have to upgrade for awhile and it will hold its value but you will pay a price for it.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Aug 17, 2016 02:55:48 pm
      Thanks for the feedback, folks.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Aug 17, 2016 04:12:11 pm
      I've had the same MacBook Pro since 2010. I've not had a single problem with it. Yes, it was expensive upfront, but the fact I'm still using it 6 years later is proof enough that it's a worthwhile investment. It's the only Mac I've ever bought because I haven't needed another one.

I guess it comes down to what you'll be using it for and what your tech ability is like. Macs can seem super foreign the first few times you use them (some things are named differently than PC terminology), but there's a really quick learning curve on them.

The only PC software I miss is "Age of Empires" :laugh:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2016 09:50:12 am
      I've had the same MacBook Pro since 2010. I've not had a single problem with it. Yes, it was expensive upfront, but the fact I'm still using it 6 years later is proof enough that it's a worthwhile investment. It's the only Mac I've ever bought because I haven't needed another one.

I guess it comes down to what you'll be using it for and what your tech ability is like. Macs can seem super foreign the first few times you use them (some things are named differently than PC terminology), but there's a really quick learning curve on them.

The only PC software I miss is "Age of Empires" :laugh:

Well I'll make your day and tell you you can get AoE 2 on Mac! Installed in on my girlfriend's Mac book pro and it works fine.

Kenny, I'd say go with what you work best with. You can get used to Mac's OS quickly enough. I'm very much in the Windows camp as I think it gives the user much more control (what kind of computer doesn't have a HDMI output these days too!), but really it's down to personal preference.

Don't buy into the macs don't get malware/viruses myth. It used to be that viruses were coded for Windows because it had way more users, but nowadays there's plenty of nasties infecting Apple OS. I cleared my girlfriend's sisters laptop - god knows what she'd been on on the internet but the machine was full of malware.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2016 03:59:17 pm
      Well I'll make your day and tell you you can get AoE 2 on Mac! Installed in on my girlfriend's Mac book pro and it works fine.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Aug 19, 2016 05:46:15 am
      Don't buy into the macs don't get malware/viruses myth. It used to be that viruses were coded for Windows because it had way more users, but nowadays there's plenty of nasties infecting Apple OS. I cleared my girlfriend's sisters laptop - god knows what she'd been on on the internet but the machine was full of malware.

The HDMI port is a good point and this, too.

I never had anti-virus on my Mac until last year. Never had anything happen before but ever since i did, a lot of things have been blocked from infecting my Mac.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2016 06:46:52 pm
      Hardware-wise, you're shelling out a lot more for a Mac than you would be for the Windows/PC equivalent. The problem is that Apple have always charged an arm and a leg for hardware that would have been considered "new" 2+ years ago. Unfortunately, due to the branding, people are willing to pay that and not bat an eyelid because, well... it's Apple, right?

It all comes down to the software, of which Windows supports more of. Software is usually developed for Windows, but not specifically for MacOS. If it works, then it's a port. Consider it kind of like a game that's been developed for PC going to console; it's going to work, but it's not going to give you the full experience that you could have gotten with the original version. There are functions that are going to be lacking due to the software being incomplete ports.

Now, with current prices you'd be looking at a Mac costing around twice that of a Windows PC/Laptop with the same specs - and not just that, but they hold back the features and ports, too. Apple will generally only provide one or two USB ports, one of which will be USB-C (the micro kind, which you'll have to buy a separate adapter if you want to plug in full-sized USB peripherals). Windows laptops will often provide anywhere between 4 and 6 working USB 3.0+ ports. And we all know just how essential USB is. But this only really applies for later laptops (2014 onwards). Before that, Apple were pioneering a new port called Thunderbolt - which nobody to this day utilises, really.

There are advantages to owning a Mac, of course - the high resale values, the not-so-prevalent malware & spyware, the great-looking OS, the retina-display screens. But that is all I can think of at the moment.

The choice is of course yours, but I always advise people to stay away from Apple - both the device brand and the OS brand. They just can't keep up anymore.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2016 11:55:16 pm
      For phones, yes, for computers no. That's my take.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2016 12:06:50 am
      Have had the same iMac for 8 years with no issues compared to my work Windows laptop - what a piece of sh*te - obviously not a conclusive trial but also never had an issue with any of the kids iPads.

Have also never had one issue with my iPhone compared to the Nokia, razor, blackberry!

Quick Reply