Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Dalian Atkinson Dead

Read 2854 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Dalian Atkinson Dead
      Aug 15, 2016 03:14:05 pm
      Not sure where this should go, so threw it in the footy forum part.

Dalian Atkinson dies after being Tasered in Telford by police
      Former footballer Dalian Atkinson has died after being shot with a Taser by police in Shropshire.

West Mercia Police said officers responded to a report of concern for the safety of a man at about 01:30 BST in the Trench area of Telford.

A Taser was used on the 48-year-old man and after receiving medical help, he was pronounced dead at about 03:00.

During a 16-year career, the striker played for Aston Villa, Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday.

He is best remembered for scoring the Match of the Day goal of the season in the 1992-93 campaign - the inaugural Premier League season. Memorably, the Villa star dribbled the ball from inside his own half before chipping the Wimbledon keeper from the edge of the area.

Paramedics said he went into cardiac arrest on his way to hospital. The death has been referred to the police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Telford resident Paula Quinn, who lives in a first-floor flat, told the Shropshire Star she had witnessed the Taser being fired after hearing shouting.

"I stuck my head out the window to look out and I saw two police officers shouting at the gentleman and he sort of was stumbling towards them and the police officers warned him they would Taser him, but he just seemed a bit, perhaps, inebriated.

"And because he continued to step forward once or twice - non-threatening - they deployed the Taser," she said.

"As the Taser hit him in the stomach he just went 'doof', down like a lead balloon."

'On his day he was unplayable'

Ipswich Town, where the footballer started his career, tweeted his death was "terribly sad news".

Aston Villa, for whom the striker scored in the club's 3-1 defeat of Manchester United in the 1994 League Cup final, tweeted: "RIP Dalian Atkinson. You'll never be forgotten!"

Villa legend Paul McGrath also tweeted his reaction, describing his former team-mate as a "huge part of the Villa family", while former Villa winger Tony Daley described it as "devastating news".

West Midlands Ambulance Service crews called by police arrived to find a man had been Tasered.

"As he was being conveyed to Princess Royal Hospital, his condition deteriorated and he went into cardiac arrest," a spokesman said.

"Despite the efforts of the crew and hospital staff, it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at hospital, shortly after arrival."

Neighbours Tina and Matthew Bothwell told BBC News their son had heard "a bang and shouting" outside on Sunday night but thought nothing of it.

"We woke up just before seven, and saw all the police outside and police just said it's all cordoned off," Matthew said.

Ms Bothwell said they had been told "someone had been Tasered and passed away".

Police and Crime Commissioner for the West Mercia force John Campion said his thoughts were with the former footballer's family.

He added: "It is an important part of my role to hold the police to account.

"I want to be absolutely clear and reassure our communities that I will be doing that fairly and proportionately with regard to this incident once the full facts are available."

In a statement, the IPCC said "a full and thorough investigation" was taking place.

"At this stage the IPCC is aware a Taser was used on the man before he became ill," it said.
      "IPCC investigators are at the scene gathering the available information and are attending the post-incident procedures to
      supervise the recovery of initial evidence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37082207
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Dalian Atkinson Dead
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2016 01:40:57 pm
      RIP

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2016 08:59:21 am
      What was he doing that he needed to die for,what a sad way to end his life.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2016 11:01:35 am
      Pure speculation here but seeing as he tried to kill his dad and called himself the Messiah I'd say he was probably on spice.

You could very well be right,I don't know the facts that is why I asked.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4: Nov 15, 2019 06:32:38 pm
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Nov 15, 2019 07:02:58 pm
      Whatever about Dalian's state of mind, that's a pretty sad way to go :(
      Will always remember that goal where he ran the length of the pitch [almost] and chipped the keeper - think that got goal of the season that year.
      RIP fella.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #6: Nov 15, 2019 07:10:02 pm

About F***ing time, bizzees get away with far too much and are never held responsible when they F**k up.

Quick Reply