Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Chinese State Owned Company Everbright

Read 42367 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Chinese State Owned Company Everbright
      Aug 20, 2016 06:28:11 pm
      Sky News yellow ticker tape

"State owned company China Everbright is working on a bid to buy a stake in Liverpool Football club"

State owned? Chinese government?

Apparenlty they spent 2.6b on something a few weeks ago

Let's have it!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Chinese State Owned Company Everbright
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2016 06:29:02 pm
      Sky News yellow ticker tape

"State owned company China Everbright is working on a bid to buy a stake in Liverpool Football club"

State owned? Chinese government?

Apparenlty they spent 2.6b on something a few weeks ago

Let's have it!

we don't need investment we don't spend the money we have now.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2016 06:47:54 pm
      state-owned
      adjective
      belonging to, funded by, and controlled by the government.
      "state-owned energy companies"

I don't believe Governments are allowed to buy sports teams, so obviously, the Chinese government are doing it through an intermediary

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Aug 20, 2016 07:01:55 pm
      state-owned
      adjective
      belonging to, funded by, and controlled by the government.
      "state-owned energy companies"

I don't believe Governments are allowed to buy sports teams, so obviously, the Chinese government are doing it through an intermediary

City is technically owned by the Abu Dhabi Royal Family. Similarly PSG are owned by Qataris. In both cases they are the state. I think it's more complicated than simply state owned business can't invest.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #4: Aug 20, 2016 07:01:56 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #5: Aug 20, 2016 08:16:33 pm
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #6: Aug 20, 2016 08:33:13 pm
      Another loss followed by a Takeover Rumor...

I have had well enough of NESV - they simply don't have the stomach for the Premiership and the money other clubs are spending. I will always be grateful for them helping us get rid of H&G but its time to go and they will make a tidy profit if they decide to sell up now to owners who are going to get us back to the very top.

The way we have balanced the books this summer and expanded the stadium makes me thing this sounds like the real deal.

I could see a Chinese billion pound takeover and some serious spending being a great thing for the club - lets hope there are legs in this story.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Aug 20, 2016 08:38:24 pm
      Another loss followed by a Takeover Rumor...

I have had well enough of NESV - they simply don't have the stomach for the Premiership and the money other clubs are spending. I will always be grateful for them helping us get rid of H&G but its time to go and they will make a tidy profit if they decide to sell up now to owners who are going to get us back to the very top.

The way we have balanced the books this summer and expanded the stadium makes me thing this sounds like the real deal.

I could see a Chinese billion pound takeover and some serious spending being a great thing for the club - lets hope there are legs in this story.

coincidence that we have a virtual nil net spend and take over /investment talks pop up.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Aug 20, 2016 08:39:35 pm
      Do you ever get a sense of deja vu?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #9: Aug 20, 2016 08:43:22 pm
      Apparently City are worth £20b and the Chinese are worth £25b

Sign Reus.

Well, you've got to keep chipper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2016 08:46:40 pm

it stinks doesn't it . The stand is almost complete the spend in this transfer window is virtually nil they can sell up and walk away laughing at us.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #11: Aug 20, 2016 08:53:26 pm
      So that's why Tom Werner came out and said - without prompt - that Liverpool were NOT for sale yesterday. I doubt his position would change in 24 hrs? Or is he playing coy for a big offer? Who knows.

This doesn't interest me in the slightest. They may have more money, but knowing the Chinese dictatorial ways and culture then they will most likely hire seven managers in one league season. Be careful what you wish for....
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #12: Aug 20, 2016 08:57:08 pm
      They can't do that SoG, because FSG will have the major stake. They'll have some say for sure, but they won't be hiring and firing anyone.

They can hire Suarez, Reus, and a LB though
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,982 posts | 513 
      Reply #13: Aug 20, 2016 08:57:26 pm
      So that's why Tom Werner came out and said - without prompt - that Liverpool were NOT for sale yesterday. I doubt his position would change in 24 hrs? Or is he playing coy for a big offer? Who knows.

This doesn't interest me in the slightest. They may have more money, but knowing the Chinese dictatorial ways and culture then they will most likely hire seven managers in one league season. Be careful what you wish for....

Yeah. Better the devil you know in this case, for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Aug 20, 2016 09:11:11 pm
      Don't think anything will come of it but if it does happen and happen quickly then maybe we will see a few more players arrive, it's clear we still need to bolster some areas.

We'll see though, I'd be surprised if anything came of this.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #15: Aug 20, 2016 09:12:16 pm
      They can't do that SoG, because FSG will have the major stake. They'll have some say for sure, but they won't be hiring and firing anyone.

They can hire Suarez, Reus, and a LB though

I'm not adverse to multiple shareholders if that's the idea. I do have concerns over one major shareholder though.

It seems Chinese state companies have a thing for Liverpool and possibly see us as part of their 'football revolution' where vast sums of investment are going towards the game under Xi Jinping.

Arsenal aren't for sale, Chelsea have Abramovich, City have oil tycoons, Man Utd obviously aren't going to sell. That leaves Liverpool as the other lucrative name who could possibly be willing to do a deal with. I really don't know what the idea would be behind it all, and whether there is credibility to this.

The fact is Liverpool will always be attractive to investors. But you just don't want anyone - I remember some of the hysteria that followed Hicks and Gillett's buyout. I don't know, I just think foreign ownership is massively overrated these days - on a quick assessment of all clubs who have been bought out one time or another over the last few years, they seem to have done more harm than good to the national game.

Again, FSG aren't perfect but it's a case of once bitten, twice shy for me with regards to the ownership of Liverpool FC.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #16: Aug 20, 2016 09:13:37 pm
      we don't need investment we don't spend the money we have now.

True.

Fenway will be happy to get their money back for say a 30% stake. Happy days and keep the money flowing in.

Buy low sell high.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #17: Aug 20, 2016 09:15:24 pm

Standard tactic when you want a better offer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Aug 20, 2016 09:16:18 pm
      True.

Fenway will be happy to get their money back for say a 30% stake. Happy days and keep the money flowing in.

Buy low sell high.

Chinese will not want to be a minority partner but could easily buy a stake now with a buyout clause in 12 months or so and the price dependant on the season etc. Quite simply if you are a serious owner you don't take in junior partners unless you are executing your escape plan
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #19: Aug 20, 2016 09:16:34 pm
      I hear you SoG and I share your concerns, but it's obvious that FSG aren't going to spend any of their own cash. I know they're putting the finishing touches to a multi million pound stand, but a new manager with his first real transfer window needs help with acquiring players. I think after selling Benteke, FSG have actually made money this transfer window. They've spent nothing. They might still do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If we want to win stuff, we need more cash.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #20: Aug 20, 2016 09:50:48 pm
      What fabulous timing for FSG, this leaks after a loss and before the end of the window where we'll have a positive net spend...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Aug 20, 2016 10:00:47 pm
      I hear you SoG and I share your concerns, but it's obvious that FSG aren't going to spend any of their own cash. I know they're putting the finishing touches to a multi million pound stand, but a new manager with his first real transfer window needs help with acquiring players. I think after selling Benteke, FSG have actually made money this transfer window. They've spent nothing. They might still do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If we want to win stuff, we need more cash.

but we haven't spent the cash we have mate. Just say they want to take a 20% share that would be approx. £140mil how are we going to spend that we have scoured the planet and cant find a better left back than James Milner. This money will go straight into the shareholders pockets.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #22: Aug 20, 2016 10:30:37 pm
      Stalking horse to bring the Arabs to the table...

Quick Reply