Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (29.7%)
      Simon Mignolet
      3 (2.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (8.1%)
      James Milner
      10 (9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      8 (7.2%)
      Joel Matip
      32 (28.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      12 (10.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (1.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Aug 31, 2016 02:23:36 pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 39990 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Aug 30, 2016 07:28:42 pm
      Think Keyboard warriors may be on about other games ie Burnley were he wasnt employed in his position against a team who parked the bus and not just about starting but coming on with enough time to have an impact ie Spurs . People need to get the rather large Mccain off their shoulder in regards to others opinions about the manager or a certain player

Spot on my friend. There are sections of the forum who consider themselves the thought police, who want to be able to tell you what you are and aren't allowed to discuss.

Firmino is the perfect example. Offer up the opinion that we might be better off playing Sturridge and moving Firmino into one of the other slots, and it's blasphemy. On the other hand, offer up that you think Jürgen might be making a mistake by not signing a left back, and that's perfectly OK. You won't get anyone accusing you of "slagging the manager" on that one, or "not backing the players 100%", because the lads have decided it's OK to say that. Similarly, it's now been decreed that it's OK to say the captain is sh*te, that's not disloyal at all (to him or the manager who keeps picking him). Say you'd play Sturridge though, and that's you saying "you know more about football than the manager".

You've got to pick your battles on this forum right enough  :lmao:.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #668: Aug 30, 2016 08:24:45 pm
      You must have missed where Jürgen said Sturridge was not told to stick to the wing and it was up to him to move and get in the box!

So the bigger question would be why was he so sluggish and lethargic v Burnley, Maybe he is not match fit as I don't think he is lazy.

He looked exactly as he did for England when played out of position dont think sluggish or Lazy more to do with personality but until we sign a better centre forward he has to play no 9 as simply put is better than anyone else. If Firminho is so good at creating chances is it 10 then surely if Sturridge on end of them we would have scored more than 3 goals from open play
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #669: Aug 30, 2016 10:50:40 pm
      Anyone considered the fact there may be very valid reasons why Firmino is starting ahead of Sturridge?

1. Sturridge is just coming back from injury - again - and having missed most of pre season will not be up to speed - very apparent in the Burnley game.

2. He will more than likely be needed against teams who park the bus than those who want to take us on - here Firmino because of his pressing is a better option.

3. Bearing in mind the number of games Sturridge has played in the last 2 season Jürgen may well be managing his game time rather than lose him to another long term injury.

There again I might be talking bollocks and all the keyboard managers on here know better than Jürgen!

Don't think *anyone* knows for sure exactly what Jürgen really thinks about Danny.
      But I agree that if Jürgen is starting Bobby, there is good reason.

1 - I'd agree, think he looked bit rusty when have seen him, and may need time to adjust to the pace/mileage

2 - I also agree Studge might be a better option to get thro the bus parkers ... but in saying that, are we saying he wouldn't start against better teams who might play a bit, and vs them we should play Firmino as per Arse/Spuds ?
      Teams play their main striker week in week out cause he's the best goalscorer and you need him on the pitch, regardless of who you're playing ... Aguero, Kane, Costa, Ibra etc etc. I'd prefer not to have a chop and change strategy. Be interesting to see if Jürgen does that - I'd be surprised if he did, cause he seems to prefer to keep changes to a minimum.
      If Studge really is that main striker, and is fit, then surely he should play ... if not quite fit, we should be taking any opportunity to get him fit - but Klopp doesn't appear to be doing that right now, which is a bit strange.

3 - Bearing in mind how many games he's played in last two seasons might lead you to think more than how his 'returns' can be managed differently. Sure, maybe Klopp has a strategy for bringing him back gently. Or maybe he's saying fuckit Danny, SHOW me that you deserve to start. Personally think it might be the latter,  Jürgen was very patient with him last season, waiting for Studge to repay the faith.

I'm big Danny fan, he's by far our most talented goalscorer. Brilliant on his day. I'd love to see him start every game. But Klopp sees him every day, and knows his form. If he is not starting right now, Jürgen has his reasons. And when Danny gets his chance, he needs to take it.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #670: Aug 31, 2016 02:24:44 am
      Three matches, 284 minutes,no goals, one shot on target.

Stats :)

BTW the Chelsea game you mentioned from last season... 1-1 till Benteke came on ...Benteke made one, scored one. Benteke may not have suited our style, but he wasn't a false 9 (Firmino went off after 75 mins.) 

That's some good stats there. Firminho will come good 1 in 5 games. That's what my monitoring suggests so. Lets watch the next 2 games and see.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #671: Aug 31, 2016 02:29:25 am
      Firmino is like Liverpool, brilliant on their day, but way too inconsistent.

Aha, this is the most precise description of Firminhi with the minimun of words without being mouthful.

Quick Reply