Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Transfer Deadline Day 2016-17

Read 18972 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Transfer Deadline Day 2016-17
      Reply #184: Sep 01, 2016 06:13:53 pm
      Disappointed, and not because we didn't incur positive net spending this summer,
      I disagree. It is the main reason you are dissapointed. If we failed to sell Benteke we would have a much bigger netspend and you and half the forum would have been much more delighted with that while his main responsibility would be warming the bench up.
      but because the money WAS there to address the problem areas that, somehow, still remain at this club. Failing to replace Moreno, failing to find a solid defensive midfielder and failing to find a striker will IMO, prove to be our downfall if a downfall is the case.
      A replacement for Moreno would have been nice but Moreno is not our only LB option and we are not in Europe.
      Klopp is Klopp. He's not going to buy for the sake of buying, sure, and that's a good thing. That said, we've had all summer to find good, adequate replacements for the likes of Moreno. A converted James Milner at LB does not reassure me. The injury records of Sturridge and Ings does not reassure me. Our noticeably weak central midfielder does not reassure me. The problem areas are obvious to all, and the money was there to have that addressed.
      So when did we rely on Sturridge and Ings? We have 5 strikers.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #185: Sep 01, 2016 06:23:42 pm
      Can't wait to sell more players?
      Maybe we can sell all the players out on loan and Henderson, Moreno and Ilori. Sign a couple of first team players. We got rid of a lot of junk but we still have some non Liverpool quality players. Including the on loan players we have 45. We need to trim that to around 35-40. Part of the problem was because of our addiction to buying so many cheap starlets. To quote Fed, some years ago he said I would rather have one Ferrari than a whole load of Fiat Puntos.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #186: Sep 01, 2016 06:26:59 pm
      The negative net spend has bothered people but it is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. There are reasons why this has happened.

1: We don't need a huge squad because we are not in Europe this season.
      2: Got rid of a lot a junk, many players Brendan brought in.
      3: Gives our current team a chance to develop into established Liverpool players.

I want to focus on point 3 more. 
      I heard people say we lack a DM. Nonsese. Here is a list of players who can play DM.

Can
      Grujic
      Matip
      Lucas
      Stewart

I heard we are lacking a LB, I won't put Moreno in this list since I don't class him as a left back. I class him as Sunday league quality, but we do have options there.

Gomez
      Milner
      Klavan
      Matip as a push.

Where exactly are we lacking depth? One more LB would have been nice, but we aren't exactly short on players overall.
      Our attacking is probably the best in the league now. There is no way we need another striker.

Firmino
      Sturridge
      Origi
      Mane
      Ings

The way people complain is like people expected us to finish the transfer season looking like Barcelona.
      Right now, we only know we could do with one more left back. In the winter window we will be more aware of how to strengthen our squad.

Can isn't quite disciplined to be a proper DM, Grujic isn't a DM, Matip is our starting CB, Lucas doesn't quite have the legs to play regularly due to injuries and Stewart isn't good enough to be a regular starter.

Gomez isn't a left back, he was starting to get found out after a few games, Milner isn't a left back, Klavan hasn't played left back in about 6 years and Matip most certainly isn't a left back.

I don't think you quite understand what people have been asking for. They (we) want top quality in those areas, not emergency back ups or squad fillers.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #187: Sep 01, 2016 06:39:54 pm
      Can isn't quite disciplined to be a proper DM, Grujic isn't a DM, Matip is our starting CB, Lucas doesn't quite have the legs to play regularly due to injuries and Stewart isn't good enough to be a regular starter.

Gomez isn't a left back, he was starting to get found out after a few games, Milner isn't a left back, Klavan hasn't played left back in about 6 years and Matip most certainly isn't a left back.

I don't think you quite understand what people have been asking for. They (we) want top quality in those areas, not emergency back ups or squad fillers.
      I find it hard to believe that real quality players can only play in one position. Gomez isn't a natural left back but can play LB in the same way as Gerrard was a natural CM but deployed as a winger or even a striker at times.. he.. he even played as a play maker. Firmino can play striker or winger... so why do you have the distorted idea that defenders can only do one thing? Gomez was doing fine at full back until he has injured, he was our starter there. Matip can play left or right back. it says so on this is anfield, so I wonder who are you to use the terminology he certainly cant?
      Can was a starter in the Euros for Germany and you say he is not established? you are one of those people who believe just because he isn't the name on the back of everybody's tshirt he is not established? I don't think Germany are actually short on talent.
      Milner has been bossing left back. I don't know what he needs to do to fill you with confidence.
      I will tell you, according to ESPN Grujic can be attacking, central or defensive midfielder.
      Also, Klaven was left back until 4 years ago. Most of his career he spent as left back. the 6 years figure is not correct.
      Seems like half the people who are offended by this transfer window are offended because they don't know our squads capabilities.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #188: Sep 04, 2016 12:24:55 am
      Can't wait to sell more players?

:D

Or in Balo's case, give them away for free.  ;D

Quick Reply