Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers:

Read 52585 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers:
      Reply #230: Nov 14, 2017 09:32:01 pm
      Haven't seen all of the game but I love Marcelo anyway.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #231: Nov 14, 2017 09:47:46 pm
      Haven't seen all of the game but I love Marcelo anyway.

Just realised I'm in the wrong thread :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #232: Nov 14, 2017 09:59:50 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #233: Nov 14, 2017 10:11:12 pm
      If I was Irish, I'd be embarrassed. That was humiliating after going 1-0 up.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #234: Nov 14, 2017 10:46:53 pm
      Gutted for both The North and ROI. We were absolutely shafted by the referee against the Swiss and couldn't quite recover. Real shame that once again, sub par officiating has cost an entire country, something must be done to stop this rot of incompetence in football today. As for the Republic, stopping Eriksen must have been at the top of O'Neill's list, alas he really is a top talent, Bentner scoring is a bit of a slap in the face.

Wish the two teams would merge like the rugby, think it would be accepted by most (although there'd obviously be issues with those looking for it).
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #235: Nov 14, 2017 11:38:03 pm

Proud of our lads overall. Tonight we froze and uncharacteristically we were defensively sh*te.

In a country with a population less than 5 million playing our 4th favoured sport, we've done okay!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #236: Nov 14, 2017 11:43:54 pm
      Gutted for both The North and ROI. We were absolutely shafted by the referee against the Swiss and couldn't quite recover. Real shame that once again, sub par officiating has cost an entire country, something must be done to stop this rot of incompetence in football today. As for the Republic, stopping Eriksen must have been at the top of O'Neill's list, alas he really is a top talent, Bentner scoring is a bit of a slap in the face.

Wish the two teams would merge like the rugby, think it would be accepted by most (although there'd obviously be issues with those looking for it).

In my opinion, and I have strong political beliefs but this is a forum so I will try and hold back.

To me, Ireland is Ireland. To me, Northern Ireland is the north of Ireland. If you want to represent anyone else then go live there. If you live in our country then represent our 32 counties. Combined we are stronger.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #237: Nov 15, 2017 12:21:38 am

Hmmm. It was bad. Really bad. Did not expect that from Ireland. The Irish always make these dour tournaments a bit livelier because of their supporters (I'll never forget their efforts in Japan and South Korea - superb they were) but there's no excusing the football under Martin O Neill. It really is awful to watch and watching them would destroy the will power of a Buddhist monk (although in fairness you could say that about most international football these days!)

Granted - they can't do much about it due to a desperate lack of quality but that is why they aren't going to the World Cup so in the end Denmark were fully deserving of their place and they'll no doubt offer a lot more in a footballing sense to the tournament.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #238: Nov 15, 2017 08:01:09 am
      The problem was that Ireland were very open and chasing the game doesn't really suit them or o'neill and they were very exposed. Probably means the joys of roy keane as a pundit
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #239: Nov 15, 2017 10:03:30 am
      Gutted after last night :( To beat Wales, draw in Denmark, go 1 up at home ... and loose 5 goals ... not like Ireland to do that.

Don't think it was any one factor.

How to explain that essentially the 'same team/players', and a similar game plan (first half), that got a draw away managed to be so open in the return?! Imho too many players had below par games, Ward, Hendrik, Meyler, Brady didn't play as well as they can. Bigger pitch/more space suited them better maybe. And individual errors obviously - first was o.g.,  2nd Ward gave the ball away, 4 Ward again, 5th ... ah, it was a complete shambles well before McClean brought the guy down for the peno.

Thought O'Neill went too far bringing McGeady on at HT. Would have left Arter and Meyler on, brought off Ward, put Brady back to LB, and had Wes in the middle.
      In saying that, Wes had little impact (McGeady either) as Denmark played the ball round us like a bunch of kids. It was painful. Just had to sit and watch, helpless, like watching a ship sinking.

Shane Long came on later ... maybe should have started - but then again hasn't scored for 29 games or something, and summed his night/campaign up when put thro and HAS to score (think it was 4-1 at that stage), just lift it over the advancing keeper already going to ground, but he puts it over the bar.  I nearly kicked the sh*t out of the chair.

Worrying for the future. No quality coming thro. Players getting older. Not going to criticise the players particularly, thought they were completely outclassed. Eriksen the sh*t was clinical as F**k. Can debate formations etc. but think no matter how we juggled things we don't beat the Danes on the night, they were really up for it, had more quality, played better, and deserved to go thro. Wasn't even close.

The banana has been deflated ...
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #240: Nov 15, 2017 11:04:03 am
      For absolutely the last time this winter I will say well done Australia
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #241: Nov 15, 2017 11:31:02 am
      Gutted after last night :( To beat Wales, draw in Denmark, go 1 up at home ... and loose 5 goals ... not like Ireland to do that.

Don't think it was any one factor.

How to explain that essentially the 'same team/players', and a similar game plan (first half), that got a draw away managed to be so open in the return?! Imho too many players had below par games, Ward, Hendrik, Meyler, Brady didn't play as well as they can. Bigger pitch/more space suited them better maybe. And individual errors obviously - first was o.g.,  2nd Ward gave the ball away, 4 Ward again, 5th ... ah, it was a complete shambles well before McClean brought the guy down for the peno.

Thought O'Neill went too far bringing McGeady on at HT. Would have left Arter and Meyler on, brought off Ward, put Brady back to LB, and had Wes in the middle.
      In saying that, Wes had little impact (McGeady either) as Denmark played the ball round us like a bunch of kids. It was painful. Just had to sit and watch, helpless, like watching a ship sinking.

Shane Long came on later ... maybe should have started - but then again hasn't scored for 29 games or something, and summed his night/campaign up when put thro and HAS to score (think it was 4-1 at that stage), just lift it over the advancing keeper already going to ground, but he puts it over the bar.  I nearly kicked the sh*t out of the chair.

Worrying for the future. No quality coming thro. Players getting older. Not going to criticise the players particularly, thought they were completely outclassed. Eriksen the sh*t was clinical as f**k. Can debate formations etc. but think no matter how we juggled things we don't beat the Danes on the night, they were really up for it, had more quality, played better, and deserved to go thro. Wasn't even close.

The banana has been deflated ...

I think North and South both did well getting to play-offs.

The North were very unlucky and the Republic just ran outta legs / luck. They were playing a better and more talented team and the boughs just burst eventually.

Both managers massively over-achieving.

Would have either guy for Scotland.......if they’re feeling masochistic ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #242: Nov 15, 2017 12:26:45 pm
      At 1-0 Ireland should have shut it down.

It was terrible to watch, and when the team had to open up to chase a goal it got worse.
      The failings were basic though.

Too many players caught in the headlights.
      I reran the goals with my kid to show him things I try to coach out of him.

- Getting caught in no-mans land. Just marking space. Standing around.
      - Freezing. Not running to the player with the ball, and not marking the players that are in a position to receive it.
      - Players not dropping to the shoulder of an opponent and so allowing other players to push on to somebody else.
      - One player on his own attempting to defend against two.
      - Marking a player but being too far away from them to impact the play when they get it.
      - Getting caught the wrong side of the player when the ball is played in.

Ireland did it all.
      If you wanted to see every defensive part of the game done wrong then last night it was there to be seen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #243: Nov 15, 2017 12:55:40 pm
      At 1-0 Ireland should have shut it down.

I heard the scoreline but only realised this morning that Ireland had taken the lead.  When you see a 5-1 scoreline you don't usually expect that had happened.  Makes it much worse that.

Congratulation to Penaltyalia for winning this morning to make them the 31st side heading to next years World Cup.  I've got no idea who is going to finish runners up to Russia but I'd give Germany a strong chance.  Seem to know when to put the proper shift on.

For absolutely the last time this winter I will say well done Australia

A very bold statement that!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #244: Nov 15, 2017 03:11:37 pm
      I heard the scoreline but only realised this morning that Ireland had taken the lead.  When you see a 5-1 scoreline you don't usually expect that had happened.  Makes it much worse that.

Dream start.
      Would expect Ireland to at least revert to type and defend deep.
      Nope.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #245: Nov 15, 2017 05:19:37 pm
      The problem was that Ireland were very open and chasing the game doesn't really suit them or o'neill and they were very exposed. Probably means the joys of roy keane as a pundit

They were leading, they had no reason to end up having to chase the game, they just had to shut up shop and stick everyone behind the ball and kill all momentum in the game. Some of them goals were such bad defending, the one that crept in at the post was a shocker.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #246: Nov 15, 2017 05:27:39 pm

Congratulation to Penaltyalia for winning this morning to make them the 31st side heading to next years World Cup.  I've got no idea who is going to finish runners up to Russia but I'd give Germany a strong chance.  Seem to know when to put the proper shift on.

A very bold statement that!

Pretty confident that whatever it brings compliments won't be one of them even if they are going to the ashes and rl world cup
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #247: Nov 16, 2017 05:25:14 am
      The last jigsaw is in place. Peru, last team to qualify.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,636 posts | 866 
      Reply #248: Nov 16, 2017 07:57:15 am
      All 32 teams then. Happy with that. My two are in.

Also Peru, so I guess Rip was right then after all.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #249: Nov 17, 2017 06:31:20 pm
      I guess Rip was right then after all

About what? :D

So strange to see the likes of Italy and Netherlands missing out, but great that countries such as Peru, Iceland, Panama, Egypt etc have qualified for the first time if not ever, then in quite a long time.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #250: Nov 17, 2017 10:16:27 pm
      At least in the pub you'll have had some beer. I watched it at home.
      Decent result away from home for TBIG, Denmark maybe deserved to scrap a win, just, but couldn't manage it.
      As a football match, it was carnage, long balls, set pieces, pratically no passages of play ... but guess if you want flowing football, kick a ball into a river.  Its about qualifying, sets it up for a big night on Tuesday...

I stayed home, went out after,dodged a bullet cos the bartender told me there were 30 odd chuckleheads there at 2 p.m doing a pajama pub crawl.Have to say did smile when i saw the 5-1 second leg score, ouch.Bars are gonna take a hit this summer,no irish,yanks,italians.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #251: Nov 18, 2017 12:41:15 am
      About what? :D

So strange to see the likes of Italy and Netherlands missing out, but great that countries such as Peru, Iceland, Panama, Egypt etc have qualified for the first time if not ever, then in quite a long time.

Getting used to seeing Holland miss out, failed to make the last few major tournaments haven't they?

Would have liked to see Malta in there but that was never going to happen.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #252: Nov 30, 2017 02:54:25 pm
      All done & the draw is tomorrow, (Friday).

Qualifiers finished as is this thread.

Quick Reply