Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Derby?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      4 (4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      13 (12.9%)
      Marko Grujić
      2 (2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      25 (24.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      44 (43.6%)
      Divock Origi
      4 (4%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      1 (1%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: Sep 24, 2016 09:43:10 pm

Derby County 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18814 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Derby County 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Sep 22, 2016 09:50:34 am
      Karius is not ready yet. His two footed challenge after Derby played a through ball was utter madness. Some refs would have red card even when he got the ball. Even if it is 1v1 he should never have came out the box and two footed like that. He is brilliant at reading the game though. I honestly would rather have won 3-1 than him make that two footed challenge to win 3-0. On another day he could miss the ball or even break a leg. Karius is a great goalkeeper but at this level he should know what he can and can't do. I am sure his goalkeeping coach and Klopp told him strongly about this. Hopefully he will get another chance against Spurs because we really need somebody to replace Mignolet. I think it will be Karius but just not yet. He needs a bit longer. I suspect the linesmen missed it but when that happened the throughball looked offside and the ball was a bit fast for Derby player to make it. I don't think there was any way Karius could have known that when he started coming out. At 3-0 up there is no pressure to make rash challenges so I am not sure why he did that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2016 10:02:21 am by Ribapuru »
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #231: Sep 22, 2016 10:21:40 am
      Its the instinct of a good sweeper keeper to be ready to come off his line quickly and snuff out danger, which is what Karius did. I dont understand the problem with the challenge since he wouldnt be able to go for it with his hands anyway.
      Any challenge outside the box, whether a handball, trip, tackle whatever...chances are if a foul is called against a keeper, he 90% of the time gets sent off.

I would much rather have a front foot keeper ready to come off his line, instead of one who doesnt even wanna challenge for a ball in his 5yard box ala Mignolet.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #232: Sep 22, 2016 11:30:42 am
      Its the instinct of a good sweeper keeper to be ready to come off his line quickly and snuff out danger, which is what Karius did. I dont understand the problem with the challenge since he wouldnt be able to go for it with his hands anyway.
      Any challenge outside the box, whether a handball, trip, tackle whatever...chances are if a foul is called against a keeper, he 90% of the time gets sent off.

I would much rather have a front foot keeper ready to come off his line, instead of one who doesnt even wanna challenge for a ball in his 5yard box ala Mignolet.
      At 3-0 up in a league cup game against Derby county, does he really need to risk suspension?
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #233: Sep 22, 2016 11:52:44 am
      In every challenge lies a risk. I would much rather have him play his natural game. If that's a flaw then as with every player he has room for improvement.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #234: Sep 22, 2016 02:43:33 pm
      Ooh er Mrs, If thats not a innnuendo/euphemistically loaded statement then I don't know what is Clint lad !

:D Good one
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #235: Sep 22, 2016 10:45:20 pm
      Karius is not ready yet. His two footed challenge after Derby played a through ball was utter madness. Some refs would have red card even when he got the ball. Even if it is 1v1 he should never have came out the box and two footed like that. He is brilliant at reading the game though. I honestly would rather have won 3-1 than him make that two footed challenge to win 3-0. On another day he could miss the ball or even break a leg. Karius is a great goalkeeper but at this level he should know what he can and can't do. I am sure his goalkeeping coach and Klopp told him strongly about this. Hopefully he will get another chance against Spurs because we really need somebody to replace Mignolet. I think it will be Karius but just not yet. He needs a bit longer. I suspect the linesmen missed it but when that happened the throughball looked offside and the ball was a bit fast for Derby player to make it. I don't think there was any way Karius could have known that when he started coming out. At 3-0 up there is no pressure to make rash challenges so I am not sure why he did that.

Give your head a wobble lad. If he stayed on his line like Migs or if it was Migs in goal and didn't go for the ball, he would be getting slated.
      Neuer does it week after week and gets applauded for it. You are trying to pick fault when there is no fault to pick. He anticipated the situation and nailed him with a perfect tackle to prevent a goal, which he is paid to do. Keeper lets in a goal and it can knock their confidence, a clean sheet will do confidence wonders. It wasn't a rash challenge at all.

As for some refs would give a red for that.. they wouldn't because it wasn't a foul and clearly got the ball fairly. If a defender committed to a challenge like that he would be getting praised for it.

Quick Reply