Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hull?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      49 (35.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (6.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      41 (29.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (6.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      23 (16.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.5%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: Sep 28, 2016 04:53:37 pm

Liverpool 5-1 Hull City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29005 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Liverpool 5-1 Hull City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Sep 24, 2016 10:16:47 pm
      Was trying to avoid finding out the score, but some arsehole in the chippy saw my Liverpool top and said "big win today", so F**k it, here I am!  :D
      Awesome result, to think where we could be by Christmas!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #300: Sep 24, 2016 10:23:03 pm
      Henderson, Milner and Lallana put in an English masterclass didn't they?

Makes you wonder how they'd do on the international stage with a moderately competent manager......

That counts Big Fat Sam out as you could not say he is moderately competent.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #301: Sep 24, 2016 10:42:02 pm
      What a beautiful day, football at it's best on a sunny day on the kop, magical, started where we left off against Leicester and ended up stuffing Hull for 5, could actually have been double that, but we'll save a few for the Swans next weekend  ;D

I tell you what, every team will be fearing playing us at the moment, it's brilliant football from the lads and a pleasure to watch, I was a bit worried that the crowd wouldn't quite be up for it today, because it was 'only Hull' how wrong I was, the Kop and the main stand led the way in getting the ground to it's feet and it was fitting on 27 minutes that Gerry McIver got a minutes applause which concluded in us getting our second goal....that was for you Gerry, may you RIP.

A very satisfactory win, only blip was letting one in, but if you score 5 who cares !!

Onwards and upwards and our next home game is the mancs....be very afraid !! Can't wait  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #302: Sep 24, 2016 11:45:18 pm
      Still buzzing from our performance today. Made the midweek walkover at Derby look like a struggle compared to how we battered Hull.

Swansea up next then unfortunately a break before we play the mancs.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #303: Sep 24, 2016 11:49:20 pm
      Still buzzing from our performance today. Made the midweek walkover at Derby look like a struggle compared to how we battered Hull.

Swansea up next then unfortunately a break before we play the mancs.

Absolutely despise the international break.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #304: Sep 25, 2016 01:13:44 am
      Gotta say that playing James Milner at left back has been a masterstroke
      Cannot recall over the last 10 years when we have had someone play that position that has made me feel as confident and relaxed as he currently does.
      Moreno, Aurelio, JAR, Johnson...even flanno....and so on all made me feel nervous every time they went forward, or had too much time, too little time on the ball, aerial balls, ball watching, holding a line, knowing when to and when not to make runs and so on.
      Finally and ridiculously it falls to a midfielder to play that role and to show how it's done.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #305: Sep 25, 2016 02:18:50 am
      Well I didn't expect it to be that easy, even against ten men, but to be fair we played some of our best stuff before the sending off.  Even though we weren't as fluent in the last 20 (understandably) our work rate and intensity never dropped off.

Some good individual performances, however once more as a unit we look very impressive.  There is so much movement and seemingly so many more options available.  I am hoping that we will see a shift in thinking from "will we be able to break them down" to "will they be able to keep us out".

Went for Lallana as my MOTM - I think he is the player who has improved the most under Klopp. Tireless as always, well taken goal and great set up for Mane.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #306: Sep 25, 2016 03:11:48 am
      I hate Phelan from his Luis v Evra days.
      I hate him as  Manc.
      I hate Hull as a depository for ex Mancs like Steve Bruce.

Agreed with the entirety of your post mate but this bit stuck out for me. I have this hatred of Hull too down to that Manc connection, smashing just has that extra bit of sweetness about it.

Our record has been pretty poor against them recently so it felt so good to finally do to them what we should have do so many times before.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #307: Sep 25, 2016 05:01:02 am
      We rarely play at home at 3pm, but broadcasters don't like showing this fixture live and since it returned in 2008, all our home games against them have been 3pm kos, and there's only been one game in 9 where it's been shown live on local tv. Burnley v Watford is considered a bigger fixture this weekend to them.

As in the 2014 game, I missed the first 40 minutes of it, so by the time I arrived I had missed most of the fun. As for the second half, we added to the tally alright, but as always, I want us to go and score even more. A boxer never lets his opponent off the hook in a bout, and it's not our responsibility to take pity on the opposition. The last 20 minutes were a non event though, instead of using the superiority and the time to boost the goal difference further. Maybe it's nit-picking, but we know from 2014 how important it is at the end of the season, and how difficult it is to be on the wrong side of it in the run-in. Arsenal used it to take third spot off us by the end of the day, while we're several goals behind City atm, so that's worth an extra point, if/when we catch them up.

While the more successful sides last year prepare to travel across Europe next week, we have a week to prepare for our own trip to Europe, albeit it's off to Wales to face Swansea. But there's a score to settle from May, so hopefully we'll go there and set the record straight.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #308: Sep 25, 2016 05:25:48 am
      Have Lallana as my MOTM. Love how he's using his technique to make space for himself and find teammates in the box.

Before he'd do the same but no one was there to pass to. Now he has about 2, 3 or 4 options in the box and he's using them so well.

He and Gini also bursting forward and trying to score. We haven't had that since Gerrard in his prime.

Credit to Hendo for holding fort in the middle and letting them get forward.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 624 posts | 59 
      Reply #309: Sep 25, 2016 06:49:43 am
      Went for Milner motm,he is starting to make that LB role his own,plus the way he got forward,and helped with the attack,tireless display from him,but the team as a whole are playing as a unit,and looks so well balanced,we really are playing some great football,and no dis-respect to Hull but they got off lightly conceding only 5,so a great afternoon,made even better with Moyes's sunderland going down to a Benteke last minute winner :)))
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #310: Sep 25, 2016 07:18:56 am
      Went for Milner motm,he is starting to make that LB role his own,plus the way he got forward,and helped with the attack,tireless display from him,but the team as a whole are playing as a unit,and looks so well balanced,we really are playing some great football,and no dis-respect to Hull but they got off lightly conceding only 5,so a great afternoon,made even better with Moyes's sunderland going down to a Benteke last minute winner :)))

Also, first loss for bitters. :)
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #311: Sep 25, 2016 08:42:50 am
      While the more successful sides last year prepare to travel across Europe next week, we have a week to prepare for our own trip to Europe, albeit it's off to Wales to face Swansea. But there's a score to settle from May, so hopefully we'll go there and set the record straight.

The way we play gives me pride that looks down on most teams, bar city. I'd say it again, who's Swansea? Hull parks the bus? No problem. We have the ability to make players uncomfortable when on the ball. None of the Hull players could play the ball out of danger properly thanks to our pressure.

We make you uncomfortable so that you can't play your own game. Hopefully you'd succumb to our pressure and when you switch off, thank you very much. If we go on like this, we're headed for the title. I'm that confident.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #312: Sep 25, 2016 10:20:14 am
      I voted for Henderson as MOTM after watching the game, after having watched the highlights think Lallana was possibly a more worthy shout.

Looking at the MOTM poll though isn't it good to see it competitive for a change.  We must have had about 5 or 6 different winners now in our 8 games so far.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #313: Sep 25, 2016 10:30:23 am
      I voted for Henderson as MOTM after watching the game, after having watched the highlights think Lallana was possibly a more worthy shout.

Looking at the MOTM poll though isn't it good to see it competitive for a change.  We must have had about 5 or 6 different winners now in our 8 games so far.

I thought the same myself, and could of made a case for 3 or 4 players on the day.  Long may it continue.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #314: Sep 25, 2016 11:14:24 am

I was impressed by Lallana but thought if you score 2 penos you deserve MOTM for nerve.
      Milner played more like a winger. Ran himself into the ground for the cause.
      Karius playing as sweeper and Matip being so solid seems to have allowed us massive freedom.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #315: Sep 25, 2016 12:36:11 pm
      Anyone else think Wijnaldum was fouled on the Hull goal?

I know Karius could have come off his line, and its a VERy small matter in a 5-1 win, but I thought Gigi gol rolled there, in an illegal way,mind.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #316: Sep 25, 2016 12:47:15 pm
      Anyone else think Wijnaldum was fouled on the Hull goal?

I know Karius could have come off his line, and its a VERy small matter in a 5-1 win, but I thought Gigi gol rolled there, in an illegal way,mind.

Not watched the game yet, just the motd highlights last night but I agree mate.  Said it immediately and didn't change my mind on the replay.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #317: Sep 25, 2016 02:56:20 pm
      I was impressed by Lallana but thought if you score 2 penos you deserve MOTM for nerve.
      Milner played more like a winger. Ran himself into the ground for the cause.
      Karius playing as sweeper and Matip being so solid seems to have allowed us massive freedom.

Yeah. Last night thought I was too hasty to award Milner with MOTM but today I think it was the right choice. Like you said, two penalties requires nerve but his attacking and pressing was something to behold as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #318: Sep 25, 2016 03:12:06 pm
      I voted for Coutinho as m.o.t.m. as I thought he controlled the game as well as creating and scoring goals, but tbh I am more delighted that we had so many options for m.o.tm.

Milner ran himself ragged up and down the left, Lallana pressed twisted and turned and got the allimportant first goal that set us on our way.

Mane( who everyone seems to have forgotten about :) ) was a constant threat with his pace and trickery, again scored a good goal.

Henderson who seemed to be on almost everyone's hit list is now showing the form from a couple of years ago and dominated again in midfield.

Not to mention the rest of the team that apart from Karius who could have read a book he had so little to do, did their jobs with ruthless efficiency.

Absolutely delighted with the way we are playing, the confidence the movement and support and the goals.

Jürgen doesn't seem to be doing a bad job at the moment either :)   

Genuinely excited about where this season will take us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #319: Sep 25, 2016 04:06:31 pm
      I voted for Coutinho as m.o.t.m. as I thought he controlled the game as well as creating and scoring goals, but tbh I am more delighted that we had so many options for m.o.tm.

Milner ran himself ragged up and down the left, Lallana pressed twisted and turned and got the allimportant first goal that set us on our way.

Mane( who everyone seems to have forgotten about :) ) was a constant threat with his pace and trickery, again scored a good goal.

Henderson who seemed to be on almost everyone's hit list is now showing the form from a couple of years ago and dominated again in midfield.

Not to mention the rest of the team that apart from Karius who could have read a book he had so little to do, did their jobs with ruthless efficiency.

Absolutely delighted with the way we are playing, the confidence the movement and support and the goals.

Jürgen doesn't seem to be doing a bad job at the moment either :)   

Genuinely excited about where this season will take us.

It's been very interesting how expectations have developed over the transfer window/pre-season to where they are now. I remember you being very optimistic for a long time and then tailing off quite considerably once the window shut. Now I see you're back to near where you were before the window opened, would that be fair?

I know I out started thinking that top 4 should be the goal and that consistency would be our biggest issue, while I still think that's probably going to play out to be an accurate assessment my optimism was increasing towards the end of the window and I can't deny that our current form has me feeling we're going to push everyone very close this season.

Top 2 is now looking well within our reach and only City looking like they may be able to outperform us. One thing that I don't like is the international break coming up, the fewer possible changes to our rhythm right now the better.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #320: Sep 25, 2016 04:15:41 pm
      Top 2 is now looking well within our reach and only City looking like they may be able to outperform us. One thing that I don't like is the international break coming up, the fewer possible changes to our rhythm right now the better.

I had ourselves, Chelsea and City for the top three. Looks like Chelsea will be struggling to keep up already.

We have a nice run coming up and after the performance yesterday, nothing to suggest we can't win them all right through to December.

Just need everyone to stay fit. The competition for places is really pushing some lads to give it their all. Keep this team together and we could have a season to remember.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #321: Sep 25, 2016 04:46:22 pm
      It's been very interesting how expectations have developed over the transfer window/pre-season to where they are now. I remember you being very optimistic for a long time and then tailing off quite considerably once the window shut. Now I see you're back to near where you were before the window opened, would that be fair?

I know I out started thinking that top 4 should be the goal and that consistency would be our biggest issue, while I still think that's probably going to play out to be an accurate assessment my optimism was increasing towards the end of the window and I can't deny that our current form has me feeling we're going to push everyone very close this season.

Yeah, I expected a title challenge and was confident under Jürgen we would bring in the players to achieve it. Once the window closed I didn't think we had done all that we could have to improve the team, so with my disappointments my expectations dropped to just an expectation of top 4.

TBH I expected improvements to our defence to be the major area of improvement this season, I never expected the glut of goals and the attacking prowess we have shown, although TBF I was delighted when we signed Mane because I did think he was ideal and someone who we had lacked since Sterling had left.

My biggest worry was midfield and even with the addition of Gigi it is still the area of biggest concern to me. I think they have done splendidly but I am not sure if they are quite strong enough even now. Hopefully they are!

I think everyone's expectations must surely have risen with the quality of football we have been playing, so naturally my expectations of a title challenge are now becoming a hope that even more than a challenge is entirely possible.

I think Citeh will drop points once the CL starts to get serious and it's whether we can take advantage of that which will prove the key.

I would say my expectations are still limited to a title challenge, but my hope is that finally we can get the monkey off our backs and win the bloody thing.

I still believe our squad is unbalanced and that injuries could kill us, but if we can maintain the core of the team we are in with as good a chance as any (barring Citeh I suppose)

All good for me so far mate...better than expected !!!

Quick Reply