Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      17 (12%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      40 (28.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (4.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (9.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      57 (40.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2016 02:24:10 pm

Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23592 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Oct 01, 2016 07:58:19 pm
      Good result, first time watched reds with dad and brother in years, just a shame about the circumstances but hopefully mum would have been watching somewhere.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #507: Oct 01, 2016 08:15:16 pm
      There's never been a league campaign where the eventual winners didn't have a few nervy moments, a few games where they had to really grind it out and a little bit of luck along the way.

We're gonna blow teams away this season as we've seen but we're also gonna win games 1-0 or 2-1 and of course we are probably going to get beat at some point too.

Looking at the bigger picture I don't think any fan could be much happier with the way things are looking at the minute.

On the match itself I thought Swansea played really well. Hardest team we've had to break down since Burnley. But since the Chelsea and Leicester games everyone who was saying "what about the teams like Watford and swansea" Well we've showed everyone how it's done.

Thought Clyne was pretty sh*t today, Karius  is a bit flappy too which doesn't fill me with confidence but give him time. I thought Matip was solid again, he has a great passing range on him too.

Sturridge looks well off the mark, not sure what's going to happen with him.

3 points is 3 points though, fingers crossed united get dicked this weekend and it's happy days!

Why can't it be a happy weekend regardless? Our happiness isn't controlled by what our rivals do. Only us. We won for god's sake. That's good enough.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #508: Oct 01, 2016 08:38:14 pm
      First half was dire.. just couldn't get the urgency going..
      Losing Lallana after 20 minutes didn't help our shape and flow either.

The boss must have bollocked them in that dressing room at half time. ;D

Swarmed all over them second half and should've scored 3 or 4

Games like this we'd have lost these last few years so 3 points aside I'm more chuffed with the way we fought back and got the win..and deserved to get it.

Tonight we sit 2nd in the league..
      How many of us thought that middle of August?
      Not bad at all eh....

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #509: Oct 01, 2016 08:39:31 pm
      There's never been a league campaign where the eventual winners didn't have a few nervy moments, a few games where they had to really grind it out and a little bit of luck along the way.

We're gonna blow teams away this season as we've seen but we're also gonna win games 1-0 or 2-1 and of course we are probably going to get beat at some point too.

Looking at the bigger picture I don't think any fan could be much happier with the way things are looking at the minute.

On the match itself I thought Swansea played really well. Hardest team we've had to break down since Burnley. But since the Chelsea and Leicester games everyone who was saying "what about the teams like Watford and swansea" Well we've showed everyone how it's done.

Thought Clyne was pretty sh*t today, Karius  is a bit flappy too which doesn't fill me with confidence but give him time. I thought Matip was solid again, he has a great passing range on him too.

Sturridge looks well off the mark, not sure what's going to happen with him.

3 points is 3 points though, fingers crossed united get dicked this weekend and it's happy days!

Clyne pretty sh*t?

What game were you watching??
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #510: Oct 01, 2016 08:41:52 pm
      Clyne pretty sh*t?

What game were you watching??

Thought he was alright, shouldn't have got MOTM though
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #511: Oct 01, 2016 08:58:05 pm
      Great win in the wind and the rain, and an almost perfect performance from the half hour mark, even if the finishing could have been better. But they spent long periods camped in their own half, as we tore into them in the second half, and finally they cracked. Jürgen must have set the Rottweiler on them at half time, and he got the desired response.

The current league position is cosmetic. As everyone has to play again (some twice) before our next game, it will look a bit different at ko time on October 17. But we had to win today, otherwise Mourinho would be ahead of us going into it. Now he won't, so maybe he won't just park the bus,  truck, and trailer in their own box as he did the day Gerrard took that pass from Sakho. It's a long wait until the next game, but hopefully we can deal with whatever we're faced with on the night. So bring it on.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #512: Oct 01, 2016 09:13:23 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #513: Oct 01, 2016 09:52:33 pm
      One thing I really like about the team so far is the attackers seem to be sharing the goals and assists around so that we're not relying on one individual to get us through games. That's going to be huge when Mane goes to the AFCON and when it comes to further in the season when we rotate a bit more (especially at Christmas).

Milner - 4 goals & 1 assist in 6 league games - 4 goals & 2 assists in 7 total games
      Lallana - 3 goals & 3 assists in 7 league games - 3 goals & 3 assists in 8 total games
      Coutinho - 3 goals & 2 assists in 7 league games - 4 goals & 3 assists in 8 total games
      Firmino - 3 goals & 2 assists in 6 league games - 4 goals & 3 assists in 8 total games
      Mane - 3 goals & 1 assist in 6 league games - 3 goals & 3 assists in 7 total games

That's some going so far. Fingers crossed they can maintain this level of end product.

Edit: Just realised in typing this that our left back is our top scorer in the league :D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #514: Oct 01, 2016 10:13:00 pm
      Such a range of differing opinions after that game today. The lads were definitely flat in the first 30 minutes but credit to Swansea because they were superb (if they sack their manager after that effort they are bonkers). If I was setting up a team to play against us (especially with Firmino in the false 9) I would have done the exact same thing. Shorten the pitch, squeeze the play and press us the same as we like to press others. I know that Studge is struggling for some form at the moment but I actually think is was his forced introduction that helped to shift momentum in the game, they suddenly dropped off when they had to respect the pace of both Studge and Mane and in turn they stopped pressing the likes of Karius and Lovren who both looked nervous on the ball. I would prefer a genuine striker up front when we are away at the likes of your Swanseas rather than the false 9 (save that for the big boys). I thought we were superb in the 2nd half, didn't panic, didn't start firing in shots from all angles and distances (something Coutinho has been guilty of in the past). I thought our two full backs were superb, what is everyone going on about with Clyne!? I thought he was excellent, same goes for Milner. I love the way we have become a team that can come back under Jürgen, for so many years were a team that needed to score the first goal to prevail but he has changed the mentality. I'm not getting carried away just yet but it looks good doesn't it? I still think we could struggle if we were to lose a player or two, particularly Mane who was excellent gain today, how frickin hard does he work? But we've made a really promising start, have had the toughest schedule in the league and have played most of our games away from Anfield. We'll know more after the next one, it just so happens to be e biggest game of the season. Onwards and upwards!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #515: Oct 01, 2016 10:50:57 pm
      Happy...that's all I want to be  :)

Another 3 points away from home, can't be bad as we lost here last season, these were the sort of games we struggled with last season, so it's a nice turnaround to see us winning them.

Still having some trouble keeping a clean sheet though, but I'm sure that'll come, as long as we score more than we let in eh  :P

Wish we were playing the scum next week, I just want us to get at them...Maureen will be having kittens thinking about facing us  :holyshit:

Keep it going lads  :scarf:
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #516: Oct 01, 2016 10:59:35 pm
      Klopp and our squad have me extremely excited, though I'm trying to contain myself.

Winning these games in this fashion is what separates the elite teams from everyone else, and we have looked elite.

Our five midfielders have found an excellent shape, balance, and flow - all combined with high energy. Hendo is the true maestro back there and he has been the one setting the beat of the team. While Gini has brought the energy, Coutinho the magic, Lallana the finesse (though not today unfortunately), Firmino the finish and hold up, and Mane has brought just about everything else.

Karius though remains relatively untested, brings so much more confidence and capability than Migs. And he's not afraid of a sweeper-keeper role which is essential to a high-pressing team like us.

Matip, probably one of the most astute signings in the world in a long time. He's easily world class IMO. Lovren has looked right up there with him as well. While Clyne and Milner are two fundamentally flawless footballers if you ask me. They have the basics of the sport and the consistency down to a science.

The saddest part to me of it all is how out of place Sturridge looks. Can't tell if it's frustration or just not being in sync with the system, but Origi looked the part so much more in a shorter period of time. Much more lively and interested in the match. Hopefully he'll come around soon enough.

Looking forward to the rest of the season and couldn't be more pleased with our start. Would love to see Emre Can get a steadier run out, but unfortunately I can't think of who he'd replace at this point.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #517: Oct 01, 2016 11:29:20 pm
      Klopp and our squad have me extremely excited, though I'm trying to contain myself.

Winning these games in this fashion is what separates the elite teams from everyone else, and we have looked elite.

Our five midfielders have found an excellent shape, balance, and flow - all combined with high energy. Hendo is the true maestro back there and he has been the one setting the beat of the team. While Gini has brought the energy, Coutinho the magic, Lallana the finesse (though not today unfortunately), Firmino the finish and hold up, and Mane has brought just about everything else.

Karius though remains relatively untested, brings so much more confidence and capability than Migs. And he's not afraid of a sweeper-keeper role which is essential to a high-pressing team like us.

Matip, probably one of the most astute signings in the world in a long time. He's easily world class IMO. Lovren has looked right up there with him as well. While Clyne and Milner are two fundamentally flawless footballers if you ask me. They have the basics of the sport and the consistency down to a science.

The saddest part to me of it all is how out of place Sturridge looks. Can't tell if it's frustration or just not being in sync with the system, but Origi looked the part so much more in a shorter period of time. Much more lively and interested in the match. Hopefully he'll come around soon enough.

Looking forward to the rest of the season and couldn't be more pleased with our start. Would love to see Emre Can get a steadier run out, but unfortunately I can't think of who he'd replace at this point.

I personally thought Sturridge got himself into a number of great positions and on another day he could of bagged a couple. There were 2 key moments that the ball should of landed at his feet but other options were used.

Just needs that goal to kickstart his season.

I reckon if lallana is injured for Utd then Coutinho should join Henderson and Winjaldum in the middle, Sturridge, Firmino and Mane tearing it up at the front
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #518: Oct 01, 2016 11:53:10 pm
      Why can't it be a happy weekend regardless? Our happiness isn't controlled by what our rivals do. Only us. We won for god's sake. That's good enough.

Why the animosity?  We won, excellent weekend. United lose, even better!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #519: Oct 02, 2016 12:01:01 am
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #520: Oct 02, 2016 12:06:06 am
      Rather than berate our boys you have to give credit to Swansea in that first half who tried to match us in the way they pressed when we were in possession and too be fair that rattled some of our players who maybe we're not exoecting it.

And although taking us on worked in the first half that unfortunately was their downfall because they completely ran out if steam and dropped further back as the second half progressed and girls some sh*t delusion making we should have grabbed another couple of goals.

Lesson for other teams take on LFC at their game at your own peril..........
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #521: Oct 02, 2016 12:28:03 am
      Fair enough Studge did not have a hollywood performance but his introduction did indeed changed Swansea's game plan as said by someone here earlier and I am happy with Studge's contribution eventhough he did not score. Their hands were full where they had to deal with Mane and Studge and they backed off from our defence and  knew that they will concede goals if they don't. On another day Studge would have scored a goal or two. Credit to Swansea's defence that did a good job blocking many of the shots from our lads towards their goal. Firminho scored a good goal and by no means an easy header, a well placed header indeed and a good work rate.

I'm not complaining at all here but just one observation, our final pass inside the opposition box could have been better as there were better options for that to score and we let Swansea off the hook many times.  Most probably more game time together and better awareness of fellow reds position will improve that.

Quite impressed with Cou too, he tried his level best to do something moving forward and won challenges and possession a few times  inspite of his size, and that is improvement for me. Swansea crowding the final third did not make his job easier.

Another observation being that Swansea had at least 2 players to contain Mane and leaving pocket of spaces to exploit and I'm sure Klopp saw that and future opponents will do the same and we need to have a game plan to take full advantage of that.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016 12:38:30 am by redkop63 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #522: Oct 02, 2016 12:32:12 am
      Finally we are able to win when playing badly.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #523: Oct 02, 2016 02:46:52 am
      Come from behind to win in a game where we were never really in that much danger. We seemed to get outworked in the first half and not much came off for us, got there arses in gear second half, got the equaliser and won the game.

Voted Firmino as motm, had a good game today, scored a good header and did well winning the pen.

Not gonna shout my mouth off about winning the league yet, but quietly confident!

Haven't seen you for a while but see you outside the sandon  some time soon  getting up for it ,
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #524: Oct 02, 2016 09:04:38 am
      Anyone else reckon Sturridge played himself down to 3rd choice?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #525: Oct 02, 2016 09:51:44 am
      Anyone else reckon Sturridge played himself down to 3rd choice?

I've got a feeling he is playing himself to a transfer
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #526: Oct 02, 2016 10:00:35 am
      Sturridge still much more of a threat than Origi especially in and around box. Ings is the one who I think should be knocking on the door
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #527: Oct 02, 2016 10:20:05 am
      Sturridge still much more of a threat than Origi especially in and around box. Ings is the one who I think should be knocking on the door

Sorry but on current form I'd much rather play Origi than Studge. As for Ings I'm really not sure but I guess he needs a run of games which he won't get barring some fairly major injuries.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #528: Oct 02, 2016 10:28:50 am
      Sorry but on current form I'd much rather play Origi than Studge. As for Ings I'm really not sure but I guess he needs a run of games which he won't get barring some fairly major injuries.

Current form? Origi has played all of 98 minutes in the league, that's not exactly enough time to create 'form'.

If you're on about overall then Sturridge has 2 more assists and has played an extra 40 minutes.

Quick Reply