Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      17 (12%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      40 (28.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (4.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (9.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      57 (40.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2016 02:24:10 pm

Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23561 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Oct 02, 2016 10:58:54 am
      You are a lost cause if you think Sturridge was MOTM
      The introduction of Sturrigde change the game for us... Coutinho was moved back behind the front three,allowing him to have more influence on the game, and we started to play more directly instead of trying to play that intricate football we do when Lallana is on the field,(which works on most teams but was not working yesterday) It also bought Firmino and Mane into the fray more...

As I stated earlier. I did not think that any Liverpool player had more than a average game, but it was the mere fact that we had to change the way we were set up with Lallana's substitution and replacement of him with Sturrigde and the change of focal point that allow Liverpool to influence the game more...

That is why I gave Sturrigde MOTM... In all honesty Not one player stood, they where all pretty average for me yes today... My opinion... You are welcome to yours
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #530: Oct 02, 2016 11:18:39 am
      The introduction of Sturrigde change the game for us... Coutinho was moved back behind the front three,allowing him to have more influence on the game, and we started to play more directly instead of trying to play that intricate football we do when Lallana is on the field,(which works on most teams but was not working yesterday) It also bought Firmino and Mane into the fray more...

As I stated earlier. I did not think that any Liverpool player had more than a average game, but it was the mere fact that we had to change the way we were set up with Lallana's substitution and replacement of him with Sturrigde and the change of focal point that allow Liverpool to influence the game more...

That is why I gave Sturrigde MOTM... In all honesty Not one player stood, they where all pretty average for me yes today... My opinion... You are welcome to yours

I don't understand how you can say the important players were Coutinho, Firmino and Mane and yet give MOTM to the man who stood there allowing them to play well.... It's Klopp who should be getting the praise for the tactical change allowing for the different play, not the player who ultimately didn't actually do his role all that well.

Fair enough about your opinion, I just don't understand your thinking at all.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #531: Oct 02, 2016 11:19:38 am
      Anyone else reckon Sturridge played himself down to 3rd choice?

One good showing from Ings and he may drop further.

I've never seen him play so badly. Looked like he's lost 2 yards of pace and had 2 left right feet
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #532: Oct 02, 2016 12:19:28 pm
      I don't understand how you can say the important players were Coutinho, Firmino and Mane and yet give MOTM to the man who stood there allowing them to play well.... It's Klopp who should be getting the praise for the tactical change allowing for the different play, not the player who ultimately didn't actually do his role all that well.

Fair enough about your opinion, I just don't understand your thinking at all.

I just don't understand your thinking at all.
      O.K. I will not hold that against you  ;D

I don't understand how you can say the important players were Coutinho, Firmino and Mane and yet give MOTM to the man who stood there allowing them to play well....

I did not say that Coutinho, Firmino and Mane they were important or not... Nor did i say that Coutinho, Firmino and Mane did  play well or they did not... What I was saying (or trying to say) was that after the introduction of Sturridge and Coutinho being moved to play behind the front three these players had more of a influence on the game (Again:- I am not saying that they played any better merely that they had more of a influence on proceedings) I could not pick out a MOTM on overall play, so I went with who I thought had the most Influence on the game
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #533: Oct 02, 2016 12:35:20 pm

Sturridge MOTM? Boy you trippin! :D.

Milner was quality for the most part and Firmino had a great second half. Sturridge didn't do very much. Also, Sturridge came on part way through the first half and we still didn't play any better. The changing point in the game was whatever team talk Klopp gave at HT.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #534: Oct 02, 2016 07:30:47 pm
      To be honest, I'm worried about the Man Utd game.

As we all know, we seem to struggle against lesser teams.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #535: Oct 03, 2016 10:16:05 am
      Horrible first half from us. We have been guilty of turning up on match day thinking we had already won before a ball was kicked for years and it looked like it was going to be another one of those games. Not one player put any bit of effort in and there were 2-3 players I actually wondered whether they had touched the ball or not.

The goal we conceded was just typical for us as well. A long high corner to the back post that isn't dealt with. The ball is headed across our goal which again isn't dealt with and they have a tap in on the goal line. It was just a shambles, horrible 45 mins from us. Swansea could have easily been 2 or 3 nil up, they missed some sitters.

The second half was very much different, especially for the first 25 mins or so. Jürgen must have bollocked them at half time (and rightly so) and we finally got out of bed and looked up for it. It was just attack after attack and Swansea were holding on.

Great equaliser by Firmino, controlled that header superbly and placed it into the corner. Firmino then made a nuisance of himself to win the penalty as well. For those two reasons, he got my motm. Another solid penalty by Milner.  One or two scares towards the end where we could have thrown the 3 points away but we managed to hold on and see it out.

The first half was alarming and our attitude was all wrong, something you don't associate with a Klopp team. Saying that, we came out a different animal in the second half and finally got a grip of things. Overall I think we just about deserved the 3 points but had Swansea taken a draw then I don't think we could have had too many complaints.

A lesson learnt in my opinion. We need to be up for it from the first whistle. The good thing is we would have lost that game 12 months ago, we would have folded. But we came back fighting and we never gave in. It was just disappointing we gave ourselves a lot of work to do because we let Swansea play us off the park in the first half.

Vital 3 points, our league position is looking very strong. Keep it going reds.

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Reply #536: Oct 03, 2016 01:42:25 pm

ha ha
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #537: Oct 03, 2016 01:50:14 pm
      So LFC have inadvertently given the Swansea manager position to Bob Bradley. First ever American Premier League manager if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #538: Oct 03, 2016 01:51:28 pm

Brilliant mate ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #539: Oct 03, 2016 02:03:43 pm
      So LFC have inadvertently given the Swansea manager position to Bob Bradley. First ever American Premier League manager if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting.

More like bullshit. Can't stand knee jerk owners that sack managers after a brutal fixture list.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #540: Oct 03, 2016 02:16:37 pm
      More like bullshit. Can't stand knee jerk owners that sack managers after a brutal fixture list.

Exactly mate, said it myself earlier in this thread I think.

Us, City, Chelsea, Leicester and Southampton in your first few games is pretty bad who ever you are.

Put it this way, if someone give me £100 every week and said you have to place a bet on the Swansea match... I'd have bet against them in all of those matches.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #541: Oct 03, 2016 02:23:37 pm
      Exactly mate, said it myself earlier in this thread I think.

Us, City, Chelsea, Leicester and Southampton in your first few games is pretty bad who ever you are.

Put it this way, if someone give me £100 every week and said you have to place a bet on the Swansea match... I'd have bet against them in all of those matches.

Same, yet they still came away with a point against Chelsea. The only match where they should have won but didn't is the Hull game, other than that it's been as expected.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,189 posts | 4404 
      Reply #542: Oct 03, 2016 02:50:13 pm

Fully agree mate.

Hope they get relegated.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #543: Oct 03, 2016 02:57:28 pm
      Another important, hard fought 3 points. Thought we were a little bit fortunate to get them, but that ain't gonna matter come end of season. Great to see us not playing to our full potential, but still grinding out the result.
      Swansea could've had a couple of headed goals in first half, and that miss at the end by the guy 4 yards out, centre of the goal, was unbelievable. But like in other games, we have really good spells, and we capitalise on them.
      First proper look at Karius wasn't impressive, to the point were I'd almost bring Migs back in, but we kinda need to give him a run of games I think, so would expect him to start next one too and hope he settles and dominates a bit more.
      Excellent start to the season so far...
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #544: Oct 03, 2016 03:33:13 pm
      Haven't seen much of Swansea this season but on the back of that display to sack the manager seems Harsh
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #545: Oct 03, 2016 03:45:52 pm
      Fully agree mate.

Hope they get relegated.

Understand what you mean about the owners., but Bradley was always decent to me back in the day so I can't echo the relegation sentiment. I bet you would like him, actually.

But those lower 10 jobs are just sacks in waiting. Wondering what the current tenure length is for the 20 Premier League managers. I know Wenger is the longest and Klopp has been about a year now, but after that....???
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #546: Oct 03, 2016 03:55:14 pm
      He actually thinks he's on par with Klopp, Guardiola, Ancelotti etc. :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #547: Oct 03, 2016 04:09:36 pm

Who does, Bradley?

That would be an odd thing for him to think. Do you have a quote?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #548: Oct 03, 2016 04:13:20 pm

I think that was a misrepresentation of his comments by some journo. He has wanted to manage in England for some time. I think he knew he was working against a perception in Europe (and to some degree in North America) that if he's American, he couldn't possibly be any good at this. As I say, I'm glad he has the chance, but this will be a STEEP, uphill climb.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,189 posts | 4404 
      Reply #549: Oct 03, 2016 04:22:35 pm
      I think that was a misrepresentation of his comments by some journo. He has wanted to manage in England for some time. I think he knew he was working against a perception in Europe (and to some degree in North America) that if he's American, he couldn't possibly be any good at this. As I say, I'm glad he has the chance, but this will be a STEEP, uphill climb.

Whats the odds on his first signing being Michael Bradley?

All stinks of a marketing stunt to me by the American owners.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #550: Oct 03, 2016 04:44:10 pm
      Who does, Bradley?

That would be an odd thing for him to think. Do you have a quote?

‘When I have a chance to observe different managers, the ones that do good work, I mention Pochettino, Klopp, Tuchel,’ the American said.

‘We haven’t even talked about the Guardiolas and the Ancelottis.

‘But I’ll tell you what - maybe I’m stupid - but I think I’m a manager in and around that level.’

I admire his confidence but I think it's best that he doesn't dig himself a hole he can't get out of before he's even managed a game. Again, I hope he does a good job because I quite like Swansea, have nothing against them.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #551: Oct 03, 2016 05:38:17 pm
      ‘When I have a chance to observe different managers, the ones that do good work, I mention Pochettino, Klopp, Tuchel,’ the American said.

‘We haven’t even talked about the Guardiolas and the Ancelottis.

‘But I’ll tell you what - maybe I’m stupid - but I think I’m a manager in and around that level.’

I admire his confidence but I think it's best that he doesn't dig himself a hole he can't get out of before he's even managed a game. Again, I hope he does a good job because I quite like Swansea, have nothing against them.

Eh...yea he probably shouldn't have said that although the way it's worded, I wonder if the context (other questions around that answer) would shed some insight.

I'll be the first to say that I'm not so sure he's going to work.  I was never really impressed with his work with the USMNT to be honest. Thought he gave too much deference to his son who I don't rate AT ALL. I think Michael Bradley is one of the most overrated players on the planet.

That being said, I hope he does well if for no other reason, it might help grow the game even more over here.

Quick Reply