Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Pre Match : Liverpool v West Brom : Saturday 22nd Oct : 5.30pm

Read 9374 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Pre Match : Liverpool v West Brom : Saturday 22nd Oct : 5.30pm
      Oct 19, 2016 03:54:25 pm
      The Utd game should have been great practice for facing the real Pulis although Milner and Clyne did a great job in making sure there was not many crosses faced by our CB's.

Great news that Gini is back in training so fully expect the midfield trio which has run amok to be back and running riot again.

Sturridge has shown he may not be the best striker when facing a West Brom type of set up so I would expect Firmino or Origi to start up front.

Karius
      Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Milner

Hendo
      Gini
      Lallana

Mane
      Coutinho
      Firmino

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2016 12:16:28 pm by JD »
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Re: Pre Match : Liverpool v West Brom : Saturday 22nd Oct : 5.30pm
      Reply #1: Oct 19, 2016 04:06:13 pm
      Strongest possible side for this one, we face Spurs in the cup 3 days after this so we could rest a few in that game.

I'd go with:

Karius

Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Milner

Lallana
      Henderson (c)
      Wijnaldum

Mane
      Firmino
      Coutinho

Subs: Mignolet; Lucas, Moreno; Emre Can, Grujic; Sturridge, Origi.

Expecting a tough game but I think we will win 2-0.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2: Oct 19, 2016 04:58:41 pm
      United's tactics should have been good preparation for this :laugh:
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #3: Oct 19, 2016 05:01:52 pm
      Echo what's been said already in this thread with regards to the starting XI.

Karius

Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Moreno (if Milner isn't fit)

Henderson
      Wijnaldum (if not fit, Emre)
      Lallana

Coutinho
      Mané
      Firmino
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4: Oct 19, 2016 05:22:20 pm
      I'd be tempted to bring Moreno back in for this one, regardless of if Milner is fit or not.

He offers more natural width and we will need that against this bunch who will just sit in.

Think Sturridge should start also despite his recent poor form, can't see us creating too many chances and he is our best finisher despite everything.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #5: Oct 19, 2016 05:36:58 pm
      Important to score an early goal in this game. Then West Brom will not be able to sit back and "park the bus".
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Oct 19, 2016 05:45:31 pm
      Neither Milner or Matip were in the training pics I posted in Ginis thread earlier. 

No idea why but I did hear that Milner went to hospital after Mondays game.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Oct 19, 2016 06:39:41 pm

Not surprised the way he was hacked down at every possibility on Monday Deb  :mad:

I just hope he's ready for Saturday.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Oct 19, 2016 07:15:12 pm
      Not surprised the way he was hacked down at every possibility on Monday Deb  :mad:

I just hope he's ready for Saturday.

Yeah he took a battering Cas so hopefully it was just a precaution and nothing serious.  He's a tough old bird though so should be fine.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Oct 19, 2016 07:27:18 pm
      Yeah he took a battering Cas so hopefully it was just a precaution and nothing serious.  He's a tough old bird though so should be fine.

I think it will take more than that to keep a good man down Deb ;) like you say he's a tough un !!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #10: Oct 19, 2016 09:40:37 pm
      If you're going keep an eye out for any of these on the roads around Anfield before kick off.. :roll:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Oct 19, 2016 10:28:51 pm
      If you're going keep an eye out for any of these on the roads around Anfield before kick off.. :roll:

If those are the buses they are going to park up we should be okay as they are so old they will be stuck in neutral.By the way the buses look look old crash box AEC,s or Leylands to me.How do I know,I learned to drive in them with the L.C.P.T.
      Back on topic I am going for a big win for us but I will not reveal my predicted score as I don't want to jinx it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016 07:59:25 am by Billy1 »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #12: Oct 19, 2016 10:39:45 pm

No doubt Pulis will have been furiously tossing himself off watching Man Utd on Monday!

(Sorry to put that image in your head!)!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #13: Oct 19, 2016 11:27:06 pm

Was that to remove Rashford from his arse pocket ;)

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Oct 19, 2016 11:43:54 pm
      Was that to remove Rashford from his arse pocket ;)

:lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Oct 19, 2016 11:47:29 pm
      Completely forgot this was another TV job this weekend. Think we have/had something like 6 games in a row on TV.

Can't wait for this game, hopefully we get back to winning ways :).
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Oct 20, 2016 08:46:22 am
      If those are the buses they are going to park up we should be okay as they are so old they will be stuck in neutral.By the way the buses look look old crash box AEC,s or Leylands to me.How do I know,I learned to drive in them with the L.C.P.T.
      Back on topic I am going for a big win for us but I will not reveal my predicted score as I don't want to jinx it.

Used to love those green Atlanteans Billy .....  and the old Crossys winding their way out to Widnes and other far flung places.
      When Lancs was Lancs  and men were men.
      Aye .
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016 08:56:54 am by MIRO »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Oct 20, 2016 09:10:43 am
      Used to love those green Atlanteans Billy .....  and the old Crossys winding their way out to Widnes and other far flung places.
      When Lancs was Lancs  and men were men.
      Aye .

As you know Skip I drove for crosville as well,they had a fleet of Bristols and they were also crashboxes and it was satisfying to drive them without crashing the gears.I also drove for Ribble as well.Back on topic,
      We will still beat West Brom with or without buses parked up
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #18: Oct 20, 2016 10:46:26 am
      Gini and Lallana back in for this one.

And back to winning ways. 6-1.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #19: Oct 20, 2016 11:06:16 am
      You can't press against a team that doesn't play football. We will have 70% possession on Saturday, WBA will be more than happy to sit 10 behind the ball and watch us play sideways football again.

Completely gobsmacked at how much criticism Danny has received after United. He wasn't involved no, but we didn't get the ball into him and the nearest team mate was always 25 yards away from him. The opening post is all wrong, this is EXACTLY the type of game we need Danny in. Its ones where we press and play at a high tempo that its best to go with Firmino. In these type of games we need quality and Danny is one of few players we have who has that quality. Energy, tempo, pressing isn't enough. We need top class players on the ball who have the ability to unlock a defence with a pass or who can finish half a chance if given the opportunity. Danny has to play.

We need pace out wide and trickery in the middle. I'd give Milner and well earned rest for this one and go with Moreno. Apart from a few set pieces we won't have much defending to do so get Albert on and tell him to hog that touch line an give us some width. Clyne needs to get forward much more than he did on Monday too.  Mane starts obviously and on the left I'd go with Firmino. He is quicker than Coutinho + Phil is better on the ball than him so for this type of fixture Phil needs to be in the middle. Henderson sits with Lallana the other player - we were far too static with Can in there the other night so have Lallana and Coutinho moving about getting on the ball causing havoc, making forward runs and supporting Danny.

Karius

Clyne       Lovren     Matip     Moreno

Coutinho  Hendo  Lallana

Mane              Sturridge             Firmino
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #20: Oct 20, 2016 11:42:43 am
      United's tactics should have been good preparation for this :laugh:
      Understand what you mean, but being prepared and being able to break down this type of defense are two very different things... For me; it is hard to understand why we find it so difficult... Playing with Firmino, Coutinho, and Lallana Three of our (one would argue) most creative players on the pitch, we struggle to break these types of team down...Liverpool FC has a strange feel about them this season... They do not have the feel they did the past three or four seasons ago. You do not so much expect them to score in a game, so much as you hope they will score, If that makes sense..., In the past with players like Torres,Suarez,Kuyt,Maxi etc when the ball fell at thier feet you  expected/ almost knew that you would see that net bulging, even with Sturridge of three seasons ago. Now you just hope to see it bulging...  I still feel that with Firmino and Coutinho up front in a front three that you do not get the best from either Firmino or Coutinho and that with Coutinho playing behind the front three you have a greater attacking threat and we can get in behind teams easier...   
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #21: Oct 20, 2016 12:03:13 pm
      I believe there's a slim chance that we'll score beautifully crafted goals. WBA will play ugly to get a point, so we have to do the same to score. No time and opportunity to play beautiful football. We need to keep pounding the ball into their box. The ball will somehow bounced off someone's arse into goal and it's is veryt difficult to keep the defence organised for full 90 minutes and at some point of time their defence  is gonna get tired and mistakes will be there for us to capitalise on.

I saw Inge in the reserve game and I hope he's given a chance. he's the type of swashbuckling player that can bulldoze through their defence and unsettles them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2016 12:06:30 pm
      You can't press against a team that doesn't play football. We will have 70% possession on Saturday, WBA will be more than happy to sit 10 behind the ball and watch us play sideways football again.

Completely gobsmacked at how much criticism Danny has received after United. He wasn't involved no, but we didn't get the ball into him and the nearest team mate was always 25 yards away from him. The opening post is all wrong, this is EXACTLY the type of game we need Danny in. Its ones where we press and play at a high tempo that its best to go with Firmino. In these type of games we need quality and Danny is one of few players we have who has that quality. Energy, tempo, pressing isn't enough. We need top class players on the ball who have the ability to unlock a defence with a pass or who can finish half a chance if given the opportunity. Danny has to play.

We need pace out wide and trickery in the middle. I'd give Milner and well earned rest for this one and go with Moreno. Apart from a few set pieces we won't have much defending to do so get Albert on and tell him to hog that touch line an give us some width. Clyne needs to get forward much more than he did on Monday too.  Mane starts obviously and on the left I'd go with Firmino. He is quicker than Coutinho + Phil is better on the ball than him so for this type of fixture Phil needs to be in the middle. Henderson sits with Lallana the other player - we were far too static with Can in there the other night so have Lallana and Coutinho moving about getting on the ball causing havoc, making forward runs and supporting Danny.

Karius

Clyne       Lovren     Matip     Moreno

Coutinho  Hendo  Lallana

Mane              Sturridge             Firmino

I think you give Moreno too much credence in his ability to generate anything going forward, smashing ball across the penalty area has not so far yielded much success!

If Milner needs a rest I would rather have AA Trent in the side although I note he played for the U23's the other night.

Edit: I am a huge fan of Danny but saying he didn't get the ball is nonsense as the fact is his first touch was atrocious and he hardly made any attempt to find space - jogging around against Utd will never cut the mustard.

Quick Reply