Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are you in favour of Safe Standing:

Yes to safe standing at ALL EPL Grounds.
      (86%)
      No to safe standing at ANY EPL Grounds
      (9.3%)
      Yes to safe standing at other EPL Grounds but NOT at Anfield
      (4.7%)

Safe Standing

Read 14800 times
      tommym9
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      Safe Standing
      Oct 22, 2016 03:08:24 pm
      Hi All,

I understand the sensitivity of the standing debate with the Hillsborough verdict coming back recently. I don't want to cause any offence by raising the issue of safe standing.

I've started a petition to get parliament to debate safe standing. If you could take a minute to sign and share it that would be amazing.

Lots of people stand all game at present so why not let them do that safely? Clubs want it, fans want it and Germany has it so why not sign the petition:

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/169323

Cheers

Tom
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Safe Standing
      Reply #1: Nov 09, 2016 05:28:38 pm
      Signed.

If it's done like it is in Germany and like Celtic have done, I'd love to see that on the kop, won't happen like, but would improve the atmosphere at Anfield quite a lot.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Nov 09, 2016 08:32:24 pm
      Signed.

If it's done like it is in Germany and like Celtic have done, I'd love to see that on the kop, won't happen like, but would improve the atmosphere at Anfield quite a lot.

Surely it should be done on a club by club basis,as a regular who stood on our old KOP I never felt threatened.I will never forget being in the KOP with my DAD who was pretty ill at the time  and we were about 30 steps up behind the KOP goal.During the match he started feeling really ill and could not get his breath,other fans saw this and cleared a pathway to the back of the KOP were he got fresh air.The help we got that day was fantastic and I would never be afraid of standing as it used to be on the old KOP
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #3: Nov 12, 2016 12:19:20 pm
      I don't know how you felt back then, but when I watch the "surge" down the terrace after goals scored into the Kop in the 70's era, even after the fence was erected in 1978, I often wonder how that was not considered unsafe back then.

Safe standing is safe. But it's a sensitive issue here, and I know Margaret Aspinall would be disgusted at any form of standing, so for her and the families sake, I would prefer if it wasn't introduced here.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2016 01:09:51 pm
      I don't know how you felt back then, but when I watch the "surge" down the terrace after goals scored into the Kop in the 70's era, even after the fence was erected in 1978, I often wonder how that was not considered unsafe back then.

Safe standing is safe. But it's a sensitive issue here, and I know Margaret Aspinall would be disgusted at any form of standing, so for her and the families sake, I would prefer if it wasn't introduced here.

It's not as though it'll all be open though. Each row has a bar in front of it so that people can't move down the stands. Let's not pretend that people don't stand up for most of a game on the Kop.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #5: Nov 12, 2016 01:11:18 pm

I remember back in the day standing on the Kop and it was imperative when choosing your speck, if possible and you got in early enough, so you stood in front of a barrier to prevent the surge lifting you off your feet and carrying you forward.
      Even so with all the movement of the crowd you ended up inevitably with no barrier behind you and you were subject to the massive forward pressure taking you off your feet. The lack of space between the crowd meant it was virtually impossible to fall with the horrifying implications seen at Hillsborough.
      The capacity of the Kop was born in mind and admission controlled, unlike Hillsborough when the Leppings Lane stand was allowed to fill to critical levels endangering the safety of those poor souls enclosed in it's barriers; that is the crux of the negligence claim against the police.

The Kop had no such barriers to prevent escaping an emergency.
      There was never seen a catastrophe with the same affecting factors at Anfield or for that matter any ground.
      There were no barriers like those at Hillsborough at that time anywhere in the country, indeed on some old newsreel of big games spectators can be seen around the edges of pitch, in the days when admission numbers were not monitored.

The great debate about standing at football grounds could be seen as yet another distraction from the deplorable actions of the police and football authorities at Hillsborough, the implication being of course that they were not entirely to blame while this debate continues about standing, sitting, barriers, surges etc etc.
      It does seem to be working for those who actually are to blame - 26 years and counting and nobody called to account for the deaths of 96 innocents.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Nov 12, 2016 01:56:58 pm
      Margaret Aspinall would be disgusted at any form of standing

Margaret didn't even realise that people still stand at games now everywhere is all seater. 

Sure she'll be disgusted at the thought we're possibly considering introducing it, she doesn't agree with standing at football matches in any shape or form so maybe shock tactics are needed for her to realise "safe standing" for those who want to stand is safer than standing as they do now.

Put her in the top of the Kop, or wherever most people stand all game, then take her to Dortmund to experience safe standing there and let her see for herself which is safer.  I guess she'd be mortified at the risks some of our fans put themselves in at games.

It's a minefield for us as a Club to tiptoe through after Hillsborough but dear god, surely they must realise by now that it wasn't standing that killed and injured hundreds of fans but the pens they were herded into.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7: Nov 12, 2016 03:27:36 pm
      I think we understand why she would be horrified at this club introducing safe standing. She doesn't really give a hoot about atmosphere tbh. Her main concern is that everyone comes home safe, and if that means no standing, then that's what it means.

I'm aware that safe standing gives you your own crush barrier and is safe. But I think we should not consider the issue until the HFSG approves of it, and I can't see that happening anytime soon.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Nov 12, 2016 05:39:29 pm
      I am all for for standing at football grounds, I personal can not stand sitting at matches, no pun intended. At the pub I stand, even at home, I prefer to stand.

We all know that standing was not the issue at Hillsborough, but the Police, the FA, SWFC who failed the fans on that fateful day.

If you disagree, which is fine, but how can you explain being allowed to stand on a bus traveling at 40mph, or even a train at over 100mph, unsecured, with no air bags or crumple zones.

Standing in seated areas is very hazardous, little leg room if you are pushed, loose your balance, and nothing to grab except someone else who is not supported either, domino effect per say.

I fully respect others views on this matter, but I'd like it back.

Poll added.

Of course, it should & must be remembered, that the majority of tickets would be seated, and there is a second question, what about the away fans?
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2016 06:04:30 pm by RedPuppy »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Nov 12, 2016 05:58:56 pm
      I am all for for standing at football grounds, I personal can not stand sitting at matches, no pun intended. At the pub I stand, even at home, I prefer to stand.

We all know that standing was not the issue at Hillsborough, but the Police, the FA, SWFC who failed the fans on that fateful day.

If you disagree, which is fine, but how can you explain being allowed to stand on a bus traveling at 40mph, or even a train at over 100mph, unsecured, with no air bags or crumple zones.

Standing in seated areas is very hazardous, little leg room if you are pushed, loose your balance, and nothing to grab except someone else who is not supported either, domino effect per say.

I fully respect others views on this matter, but I'd like it back.

Poll added.

I was in two minds about this earlier, remembering the times I was squashed, and left the game bruised as a young lad after, perhaps foolishly, standing at the front and getting pushed against a fence during a surge, but you're right here.

I'd like to see standing area's again, as it seems there's much more passion and noise when a lot of people are standing together.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #10: Nov 13, 2016 11:18:31 am
      If I thought the genuine intention of all of this was to create a more atmospheric football experience for punters then I'd consider it.

But I don't.

More bodies in with lower overheads = more revenue.

Good luck to those who fancy it. Not for me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Nov 13, 2016 11:24:22 am
      There is nothing wrong with the way safe standing operates in many other countries.  And you could argue that the manner in which fans at Anfield - especially at the back of the Kop is fairly unsafe standing.

I've been to plenty of games at Anfield in recent years where I have stood for the majority if not all of the game and there will be plenty on here who have too.

Standing already happens - let's make it safe.

Everybody on here knows that standing was not the cause of the Hillsborough disaster.  Fences, overcrowding caused by a failure in police control and an unacceptable response by all the emergency services was.

If I thought the genuine intention of all of this was to create a more atmospheric football experience for punters then I'd consider it.

But I don't.

More bodies in with lower overheads = more revenue.

Good luck to those who fancy it. Not for me.

It may well allow more punters in and more money for the clubs, whether they charge the same price for the ticket is a a matter for them and whether people think it's reasonable.  And it may well make the atmosphere better for those who want to stand. 

I'm not against the idea just because the clubs might make money out of it.  If someone is paying £50 for a seat they don't use then it's a good thing for them to pay less to do what they're doing?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #12: Nov 13, 2016 11:50:30 am
      There is nothing wrong with the way safe standing operates in many other countries.  And you could argue that the manner in which fans at Anfield - especially at the back of the Kop is fairly unsafe standing.

I've been to plenty of games at Anfield in recent years where I have stood for the majority if not all of the game and there will be plenty on here who have too.

Standing already happens - let's make it safe.

Everybody on here knows that standing was not the cause of the Hillsborough disaster.  Fences, overcrowding caused by a failure in police control and an unacceptable response by all the emergency services was.

It may well allow more punters in and more money for the clubs, whether they charge the same price for the ticket is a a matter for them and whether people think it's reasonable.  And it may well make the atmosphere better for those who want to stand. 

I'm not against the idea just because the clubs might make money out of it.  If someone is paying £50 for a seat they don't use then it's a good thing for them to pay less to do what they're doing?

I hear you JD and I've stood many times back in the day - Anfield, Hampden, Wembley, Parkhead etc etc........big crowds and it wasn't always fun. Nor was it contantly terrifying either. However...........

My neighbour died in the Ibrox disaster - I never knew the man but his boy couldn't go to football again. Now with two teenage boys of my own, one of whom goes to Parkhead fornightly with his Grandad, I honestly think it's better as is.

I'm not saying it's wrong per se - though, personally, I think it's sponsored by clubs for the wrong reasons - it's just a bridge for me that I won't / can't cross.

I'm not evangelical or anything about it - just think it's one of those that you have an emotional reaction for/against.

Edit: I know that many on here will have experienced or known someone who experienced Hillsborough personally so I don't reference Ibrox glibly. Merely my personal starting point.......
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2016 01:16:29 pm by Scotia »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Nov 13, 2016 03:33:45 pm

Of course, it should & must be remembered, that the majority of tickets would be seated, and there is a second question, what about the away fans?

All the away fans stand at Anfield anyway, and whenever I go to away games, we all stand as well....I don't see the problem.

Having been a season ticket holder on the old standing Kop with 25,000 kopites around, the atmosphere was boss, part and parcel of the game as you ended up a dozen steps further down the Kop, now I have a season ticket on a seated kop with 12,500 kopites and of course the atmosphere isn't the same unless its a big game or we're playing a big club when all the Kop stands anyway, like JD said, let's make standing safe as it's already done all over.

There will always be people for and against standing, as it's personal choice at the end of the day.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #14: Nov 14, 2016 06:46:58 am
      It's not as though it'll all be open though. Each row has a bar in front of it so that people can't move down the stands. Let's not pretend that people don't stand up for most of a game on the Kop.

Good point, and a lot of people don't seem to take into account that fencing is longer in place.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: May 02, 2017 08:27:48 pm
      In two years time it will be 30 years since that April day .

Memories will never fade and the 96 will be in our hearts forever .

I have read every post on this thread and agree with most of we ex Kopites me being a sixties boy when I first started standing on the Kop.

The ritual of getting off the 510 at Shiel Road ice rink , walking down to the ground with my mates and climbing up to get our spec and it was only half one on match day .
      The grass looked incredible. Pure technicolour.

Ciggies had to go in the top pocket of my denim jacket otherwise wouldn't be able to get to them when the match was on.
      The surges.  Just went with them and then scrambled back up.

So.

Thats what it was and no one got hurt.
      21,000 nearly half the capacity of the ground in one end.

My own feelings and in full respect and sensitivity to the families of the 96 I believe that standing should return .

It wasnt standing that caused the tragedy . The verdicts prove that .

The advances we have made with Health and Safety   CCTV  and other positive safeguards would allow us to return the Kop to standing as it was for nearly 100 years.

The Kop is Liverpool .

Liverpool is the Kop .

Its the DNA of Matchday and I think it should return.

MsGerrard
      Reply #16: May 03, 2017 06:16:51 pm
      In two years time it will be 30 years since that April day .

Memories will never fade and the 96 will be in our hearts forever .

I have read every post on this thread and agree with most of we ex Kopites me being a sixties boy when I first started standing on the Kop.

The ritual of getting off the 510 at Shiel Road ice rink , walking down to the ground with my mates and climbing up to get our spec and it was only half one on match day .
      The grass looked incredible. Pure technicolour.

Ciggies had to go in the top pocket of my denim jacket otherwise wouldn't be able to get to them when the match was on.
      The surges.  Just went with them and then scrambled back up.

So.

Thats what it was and no one got hurt.
      21,000 nearly half the capacity of the ground in one end.

My own feelings and in full respect and sensitivity to the families of the 96 I believe that standing should return .

It wasnt standing that caused the tragedy . The verdicts prove that .

The advances we have made with Health and Safety   CCTV  and other positive safeguards would allow us to return the Kop to standing as it was for nearly 100 years.

The Kop is Liverpool .

Liverpool is the Kop .

Its the DNA of Matchday and I think it should return.

Have to agree with you there MIRO, the kop all stand anyway for the big games, so I don't think it makes any difference, and I don't care what anyone says, the atmosphere is always better when standing.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: May 03, 2017 09:53:25 pm
      Celtic have shown it can work, a few, thousand seats at the back of the Kop would be awesome.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: May 03, 2017 10:04:17 pm
      Celtic have shown it can work, a few, thousand seats at the back of the Kop would be awesome.

How about the whole stand?

We all stand anyway as Ms G has said for the big games, cup games, Europe etc!!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: May 04, 2017 05:05:46 am
      How about the whole stand?

We all stand anyway as Ms G has said for the big games, cup games, Europe etc!!

Eventually, but I think it would need to be phased in.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #20: May 04, 2017 10:39:54 am
      I am only a little guy, obviously prefer a seat, although at the same time recognise the fans desire to stand, especially in the Kop at Liverpool. Therefore I would certainly accept safe standing for the fans wishing to stand. Whilst those fans like myself can still sit down, on the increasingly rare occasions that I can visit Anfield.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #21: May 04, 2017 12:42:50 pm
      I am only a little guy, obviously prefer a seat, although at the same time recognise the fans desire to stand, especially in the Kop at Liverpool. Therefore I would certainly accept safe standing for the fans wishing to stand. Whilst those fans like myself can still sit down, on the increasingly rare occasions that I can visit Anfield.

You could always do what I did in the late 70's. Take your own milk create and stand on that.

Seriously that's what we could do back then.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #22: May 04, 2017 12:50:01 pm
      You could always do what I did in the late 70's. Take your own milk create and stand on that.

Seriously that's what we could do back then.

Knowing my luck, I would fall off, then things would turn a bit sour. Although see your point.

Quick Reply