Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Corners!!!

Read 12601 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Corners!!!
      Reply #69: Oct 09, 2013 02:07:13 pm
      or take Gerrard off them and put him on the edge and get a wingback like johnson to lay it off to him to strike, that way we atleast have more of a goal threat. its not a hard job to whip a ball into the box from a corner. johnson, henderson, coutinho, lucas even enrique at a push should be able to manage that.
      Anyone would be better at takign corners than gerrard, even after all these years of him taking them he hasn't improved.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #70: Oct 09, 2013 05:52:13 pm
      Anyone would be better at takign corners than gerrard, even after all these years of him taking them he hasn't improved.

I swear some people are watching a completely different Steven Gerrard. His dead balls are amazing for me.

Didn't he put a peach of a corner onto sturridge's swede (or arm!) at Sunderland?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #71: Oct 09, 2013 07:22:45 pm
      The defending of them is still what worries me most. I know it was not a corner but Gayle's goal against us the last day was a free positioned much like a corner and he scored easily at the near post with no real pressure from any defender.

We are out of a cup because of a corner and we have lost at home due to one aswel. Scoring them helps but we are not Stoke and we don't rely on set pieces for goals. What we do need to seriously address is defending them!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #72: Oct 10, 2013 05:12:41 am
      Has anyone ever been to our training sessions or are they all behind closed doors at Melwood? I really do wonder if we do any training on set pieces/corners because we've been dreadful both defensively and offensively from them....
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #73: Oct 10, 2013 10:44:41 am
      Has anyone ever been to our training sessions or are they all behind closed doors at Melwood? I really do wonder if we do any training on set pieces/corners because we've been dreadful both defensively and offensively from them....
      I think because we focus so much on keeping the ball down and playing quick passing football maybe time spent on corners is not as much as some of the lesser passing teams. I reckon when coutinho is back he will take the corners freeing up more players to get in the box and score
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #74: Oct 10, 2013 11:16:50 am
      or take Gerrard off them and put him on the edge and get a wingback like johnson to lay it off to him to strike, that way we atleast have more of a goal threat. its not a hard job to whip a ball into the box from a corner. johnson, henderson, coutinho, lucas even enrique at a push should be able to manage that.

You can't send every player up for corners and leave yourself totally exposed to the counter. We send the CBs up to provide a (theoretical) threat in the air so Johnson and Enrique stay back with Lucas stood in the middle and that serves us well, I wouldn't want any of those taking corners.

When fit, the obvious choice for me is Coutinho and that's not a slight on Gerrard, I just feel he would be more dangerous on the edge of the 18 yard box. In Coutinho's absence, perhaps Hendo (when not filling in for Lucas) or Moses could do the job.

I strongly disagree with taking Suarez out of the box, I want our most lethal goalscorers in there.

As I've said earlier, my concern isn't just with corners at either end but more with defending balls crossed into the box from dead balls OR open play and we saw it again against Palace. I noticed Sakho cleared several with his head and had gone off when we conceded. Coincidence??
      For all of Dagger and Skrtel's strengths, this has long been a weakness in my eyes.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #75: Oct 10, 2013 12:30:39 pm
      You can't send every player up for corners and leave yourself totally exposed to the counter. We send the CBs up to provide a (theoretical) threat in the air so Johnson and Enrique stay back with Lucas stood in the middle and that serves us well, I wouldn't want any of those taking corners.

When fit, the obvious choice for me is Coutinho and that's not a slight on Gerrard, I just feel he would be more dangerous on the edge of the 18 yard box. In Coutinho's absence, perhaps Hendo (when not filling in for Lucas) or Moses could do the job.

I strongly disagree with taking Suarez out of the box, I want our most lethal goalscorers in there.

As I've said earlier, my concern isn't just with corners at either end but more with defending balls crossed into the box from dead balls OR open play and we saw it again against Palace. I noticed Sakho cleared several with his head and had gone off when we conceded. Coincidence??
      For all of Dagger and Skrtel's strengths, this has long been a weakness in my eyes.
      some good points there mate, i dont know weather they are told to man mark or go for the ball but its something we need to work on and with Sakho in there we might improve as other players around him will see how he attacks the ball and we might even get a few counter goals from defending a corner. When we sell Skrtel in Jan we will have none of this chopping and changing i think it will be 3 at the back with Kolo RCB, Sakho CB and Agger LCB with Ilori on the bench that for me is more than capable of being a solid trio.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #76: Nov 23, 2013 09:21:17 pm
      F***ing bump!  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #77: Oct 22, 2016 07:24:30 pm
      F*cking bump! Since I can't remember I sh*t my bricks with a corner coming in and this Karius lad has made my nerves worse!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #78: Oct 22, 2016 07:25:50 pm
      F*cking bump! Since I can't remember I sh*t my bricks with a corner coming in and this Karius lad has made my nerves worse!

That arsewipe John Achterberg.

Every single F***ing keeper we've had under his tenure has been sh*t at crosses - there seems to be absolutely no evidence of any coaching with this.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #79: Oct 23, 2016 02:59:26 am
      A corner to the opposition seems like a penalty kick to me now, i just know it's probably gonna end up in the net...
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #80: Oct 23, 2016 10:01:23 am
      A corner to the opposition seems like a penalty kick to me now, i just know it's probably gonna end up in the net...

Oh get a grip ... overreacting here ... We dealt good with corners against the mancs and happened to conced against WBA which is in 1st place on scoring from set-pieces ... The problem was us wasting chances as we should have been 4-5 goals up by then.

Quick Reply