Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Sturridge vs Firmino

Read 6388 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Sturridge vs Firmino
      Reply #23: Oct 27, 2016 03:27:22 am
      What I love most about this discussion is how none of us would have dreamed of it 6 months ago, Firmino's progression is very exciting, and his ceiling just gets higher every week.

Hey! Speak for yourself.

So what do we do with him? Where does he fit? And will he stay if he isn't guaranteed a starting place? Who do we take out of the team to fit him in down the middle?

I'm interested to know peoples thoughts...

We keep him as long as Jürgen wants him.

He's still our best finisher and you don't get rid of your best finisher unless you upgrade.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #24: Oct 27, 2016 06:28:57 am
      I read in several posts that some don't rate Firmino as world class.
      I think he is! Why? Because I use a simple definition of world class player, a player able to play in almost any team and be consistent in end product(goals, assists, performance, passes, tackles). Firmino is very regular and does the job. He is not as spectacular as Sanchez, Hazard or Ozil; he might not be in the top 40 or 50 players in the world but he is a very very good player every team would like to have. He could play for Barca, Juve, Real or Bayern easily.

As for the debate,  I think that Sturridge should not try to adapt to Jürgen, simply because he is not the kind of player to run throughout a match. Messi walks during games; I'm not saying Sturridge is as good but I understand that some players can't run for whole games. Sterling is another example, excellent player but when he is allowed to rest between sprints and dribbles. That's how his game is.

Torres was that kind of player if I'm not wrong, he would give it all when he had the ball and more often than not, he would score out of good occasions he had.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #25: Oct 27, 2016 07:11:56 am
      Firming is a cracking little player hard working and all that but world class come on fella apply the hand brake , Pele /Best / Maradonna that's world class  bit early to judge for me .
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #26: Oct 27, 2016 10:12:03 am
      First of all it should be Strikers vs. Firmino because Sturridge is getting a hell of a lot more games than Origi and Ings. But on the wider point, why does there even have to be a versus?

It has to be Sturridge vs Firmino because at present it's Firmino keeping Sturridge out the side with the way he is playing and we the best out of Danny when he is played down the middle. I see what you're saying though.

There's some interesting views on here. Firmino is going to become a world class player and I don't think he is too far off it already and it puts us in a great position. I'm wasn't saying we have to choose one or the other but I think to realistically keep top players happy they have to be playing regularly and with the lack of European football this season I think that might be hard to do without injuries playing a part.

Obviously there is AFCON coming up so we're going to be missing Mane so someone is going to need to come in there.

On a side note though the amount of stick Sturridge is getting from some fans is f**king ridiculous!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27: Oct 27, 2016 11:22:09 am
      It has to be Sturridge vs Firmino because at present it's Firmino keeping Sturridge out the side with the way he is playing and we the best out of Danny when he is played down the middle. I see what you're saying though.

There's some interesting views on here. Firmino is going to become a world class player and I don't think he is too far off it already and it puts us in a great position. I'm wasn't saying we have to choose one or the other but I think to realistically keep top players happy they have to be playing regularly and with the lack of European football this season I think that might be hard to do without injuries playing a part.

Obviously there is AFCON coming up so we're going to be missing Mane so someone is going to need to come in there.

On a side note though the amount of stick Sturridge is getting from some fans is f**king ridiculous!

Sturridge has featured in six games, some of which where alongside Firmino.  We've only played twelve in total, and he wasn't fit at the beginning of the season. Origi has featured in four games, all as a late substitute. Ings hasn't featured in one, beyond as a sub the other night. So yes, it is 'Strikers vs. Firmino' and like I said, it's horses for courses. Some games suit a partnership of Firmino and Sturridge, some Firmino up on his own, some (like the league cup) Origi and Sturridge. Klopp himself has made it clear there is no pecking order and he picks the best team for the job at hand. Until such time as the man himself declares a pecking order then this is nothing but silly nonsense.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #28: Oct 27, 2016 12:19:32 pm
      It's not even a debate. Now that Sturridge had a great game against a weakened Spurs side doesn't mean he is close of getting into the first 11 ahead of Firmino.

Firmino helps the team's fluidity 2x times more than Sturridge, and on top of that, he's as clinical in the box as Studge and has fantastic workrate (tracks back alot). No contest for me, Firmino anyday.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #29: Oct 27, 2016 12:32:30 pm
      It's not even a debate. Now that Sturridge had a great game against a weakened Spurs side doesn't mean he is close of getting into the first 11 ahead of Firmino.

Firmino helps the team's fluidity 2x times more than Sturridge, and on top of that, he's as clinical in the box as Studge and has fantastic workrate (tracks back alot). No contest for me, Firmino anyday.

I know we're doing well at the moment and it hasn't been an issue for us as yet, but goals win you games, work rate isn't always enough.  There will be a few games this season where we will press none stop but we just can't put the ball in the back of the net. Those are the games where you need a match winner, somebody to come up with a bit of magic from somewhere, and Daniel is one of few players we have who can produce those type of moments.

Look at Tuesday. Daniel didn't have the best of games. Still scored 2 and won us the match though.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #30: Oct 27, 2016 01:20:21 pm
      Studge is a class act, no doubt.  But he is better when playing with a striking partner up front and preferably one who will do all the leg work.  Firmino is a hard worker and skill full to boot.  If Studge wants to be in the starting 11 he needs to put himself about a bit more.  There are times when i have seen him defend from the front, get close to the opponent with the ball but does not put a tackle in.  Studge needs to learn how to work in a front 3 that is completely mobile and one person is the No: 9

Come on Studge you can do it

YNWA
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31: Oct 27, 2016 01:45:25 pm
      The question I have is: why?  Why won't Sturridge press hard and work without the ball?

Is he physically incapable of it?  he looks fit enough to me. 

So the only other explanation is that Klopp has told him "I need you to press and work hard without the ball," and Sturridge said "sorry boss but I don't do that."

And if Sturridge is really telling the manager that he won't do what he is told on the pitch then he needs to be sold ASAP.

I think it's almost certainly the injuries mate, if you watch Danny closely he will run to close but he will only close the space he doesn't commit to the tackle or the block and he will not put his body on the line or throw himself at it the way a Lallana or a Firmino do. So he is putting in some running BUT the drop in commitment when the opportunity to REALLY close the ball appears is very noticeable when compared to his teammates.

Now in some games I figure Jürgen can let that go because the trade-off is that Danny is our most skillful player (along with Coutinho), he might not work like the others when we lose the ball but his quality on the ball off-sets this. In other games it's clear that the manager does not want any passengers so far as our pressing game goes so Studge sits on the bench.

He's a cracking option to have on the bench and he will start in some of the Cup games. I figure we keep him this season and chances are he will look for a mve away come the end of the season. There may be interest in January but we'd be stupid to let him go mid-season. Some posters have said that he will get plenty more games with European football likely next season but his contract will be on the wind-down by then and I also think the lad expects to play every game (or at least in every big game).

My faith in Jürgen is such that we would be just fine without him but i'd like the player to stay at the club and be a part of it's future.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #32: Oct 27, 2016 01:55:19 pm

It quite clearly is, heading onto the second page of such.

Only one of them can play as a central striker, it's where they both play their best football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #33: Oct 27, 2016 02:01:30 pm
      It quite clearly is, heading onto the second page of such.

Only one of them can play as a central striker, it's where they both play their best football.

Exactly and the problem with Sturridge is that he looks better as a player when he plays alongside another striker up top with him as he did with Origi on Tuesday night.

Unfortunately he hasn't settled into Klopp's preferred style of play and formation for the league games, whereas Firmino does.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #34: Oct 27, 2016 02:04:35 pm

Haha apologies Crouchy, well done by the way! :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #35: Oct 27, 2016 02:11:31 pm
      I thought this deserved a separate topic because it's such a predicament (albeit a good one) we find ourselves in at the moment, especially after the game yesterday.

Sturridge proved again last night that he is our best striker and best finisher when he is played as a central striker but obviously that spot is currently occupied by Firmino who Klopp sees as first choice and works far better in the interchangeable front 4 we have firing in goals at present.

If everybody stays free from injury then do we risk losing Sturridge if he wants to leave and play first team football somewhere (which is very possible and you couldn't blame him) or does Klopp try to fit Sturridge in to the team and how does he do that?

For us to see the best from Sturridge, who is one of the best strikers in the league, he needs to be played as a striker and down the middle.

So what do we do with him? Where does he fit? And will he stay if he isn't guaranteed a starting place? Who do we take out of the team to fit him in down the middle?

I'm interested to know peoples thoughts...

The very thought of Studge going anywhere is farcical.
      How many Prem. sides would even consider letting a player, a match-winner and a vital cog in the attacking machine leave the club?
      When called upon irrespective of body language or any talk of kamikaze tackles, he does the job and puts the ball in the onion bag.
      JWH&Co would appreciate such farcical rambling about selling a star man.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016 02:40:16 pm by stuey »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #36: Oct 27, 2016 02:18:09 pm
      The very thought of Studge going anywhere is farcical.
      How many Prem. sides would even consider letting a player, a match-winner and a vital cog in the attacking machine leave the club?
      When called upon irrespective of body language or any talk of kamikaze tackles, he does the job and put the ball in the onion bag.
      JWH&Co would appreciate such farcical rambling about selling a star man.

Yeah you're right, it's farcical. Close the thread.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Oct 27, 2016 02:44:29 pm
      he's as clinical in the box as Studge

I'm Bob's biggest fan but that's a lie. Sturridge is deadly and comfortably one of the best in the league at finishing. Without giving it much thought, i'm struggling to think of someone who is better than him inside the box in the league.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38: Oct 27, 2016 02:51:00 pm
      Sturridge is class end of.

People are forgetting we are ten games into a very long season I'm sure Klopp will find a way to fit him into the system. It might not be every week but he is a piece of the puzzle albeit a critical one and talk of selling him is madness.

I was a little uneasy hand on heart listening to the Kop  singing  "Divock Origi"  yes he had an exceptional 20 minute spell but Studge got the vital goals and 4 years in we don't have a song for the lad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #39: Oct 27, 2016 02:59:34 pm
      Yeah you're right, it's farcical. Close the thread.

JWH&Co sold Suarez for a song, a rather bad example to use; to give them an inkling of any reservation concerning Sturridge is tempting fate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #40: Oct 27, 2016 03:15:35 pm
      and 4 years in we don't have a song for the lad.

He has 2 songs apparently mate and both were sung last night.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #41: Oct 27, 2016 03:18:51 pm
      He has 2 songs apparently mate and both were sung last night.

Does he? I haven't been to a game in three seasons but I always listen out in the TV and I've never noticed one before, are you sure? I only say it because I could quite clearly hear Origi getting a few chants and Danny zings had a few renditions and that was simply for making a late tackle! I don't recall hearing Danny's name being sung after either of his goals or shots.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Oct 27, 2016 03:22:54 pm
      Does he? I haven't been to a game in three seasons but I always listen out in the TV and I've never noticed one before, are you sure? I only say it because I could quite clearly hear Origi getting a few chants and Danny zings had a few renditions and that was simply for making a late tackle! I don't recall hearing Danny's name being sung after either of his goals or shots.

I've no idea mate but that's what they're saying over on RAWK in similar discussions.  They say they aren't very good ones and not everyone joins in so it's not always audible on the tv.

I guess songs are harder to pick up on than chants that everyone can join in with.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #43: Oct 27, 2016 03:32:20 pm
      At the moment it has to be Firmino. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them up top with Phil in behind at the tip of a diamond. Hopefully the gaffer will try that out whilst Sadio is at the AFCON.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016 06:47:56 pm by Class »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #44: Oct 27, 2016 04:07:57 pm
      They say they aren't very good ones and not everyone joins in so it's not always audible on the tv.

I guess songs are harder to pick up on than chants that everyone can join in with.

He's got the Dalglish chant ffs what more do the gobshites on rawk want?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #45: Oct 27, 2016 04:24:54 pm
      He's got the Dalglish chant ffs what more do the gobshites on rawk want?

Cant ask for more than that.......

Quick Reply