Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (3.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (6.2%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      111 (76.6%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (5.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2016 06:32:46 pm

Crystal Palace 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33655 times
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Re: Crystal Palace 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Oct 29, 2016 09:12:01 pm
      My cat seems to be a big Emre fan, jumped on my mouse to cast this vote.

I think he had 10-15 minute spell when he looked clueless and off the pace but his form is improving with every game... he will get up to pace soon.

Edit: I am not the one who voted for him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #484: Oct 29, 2016 09:19:18 pm
      Yep Lovren was poor today. Matip on the other hand looks world class.

Imagine we had another quality centre back to partner Matip plus a top class keeper... we would be unstoppable

I was talking about Can but for sure Lovren was a bit dodgy to say the least!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #485: Oct 29, 2016 09:31:34 pm

Think she was shouting at pardew but didn't have her teeth in so couldn't pronounce the first 'T'  :lmao: :lmao:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #486: Oct 29, 2016 09:38:42 pm
      I think Cans problem is he thinks he has to run with the ball whenever he gets it. Gets closed down due to his lack of pace and has to hurry his passes. Pass and move, pass and move, not run 30 yards then look around to see what is available!!!
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #487: Oct 29, 2016 09:50:54 pm
      I think Cans problem is he thinks he has to run with the ball whenever he gets it. Gets closed down due to his lack of pace and has to hurry his passes. Pass and move, pass and move, not run 30 yards then look around to see what is available!!!

I think you are bang on, he is the opposite of Hendo when low on confidence. While Hendo is afraid of failure and just passes sideways when short on confidence, Can over tries. There was a moment today when Coutinho was begging for the ball and Can tried to do something first before eventually passing it to him.The competition between Gini, Hendo and Can is going to be brilliant. I firmly believe Can will be back to his best soon, don't forget towards the end of last season he was firm name in the midfield. These 3 with Lucas, Stewart and Grujic waiting is something we haven't seen for a while.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #488: Oct 29, 2016 09:51:38 pm
      Great victory over Crystal Palace, despite usual defensive calamities. Really enjoyable watching the game in the pub tonight. Great to see this unbeaten run kept intact.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #489: Oct 29, 2016 09:51:43 pm
      As good as we are going forward, our defence is a real concern. I hope not, but it could be our Achilles heel again like the "nearly" season. Really missed Milner today...
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #490: Oct 29, 2016 09:57:08 pm
      The only solution to our defensive problems, is to score more than we concede. At least we are seeing some real entertaining football !
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #491: Oct 29, 2016 10:05:14 pm
      We are the most entertaining side in the world!!  I F***ing love the way Klopp has us playing -- F**k defense, we'll just score more than you :)

Karius - 4/10 - Our worst player and not for the first time.  Hasn't shown anything to justify being ahead of Migs in the pecking order, and that's a sad indictment....

Clyne - 6/10 - Reliable in defense and industrious going forward.  Misplaces too many passes and rarely picks out a good cross, but should have had an assist today if Mane had kept his head down.

Matip - 7/10 - Looking to be the best transfer value of the summer.  He is very good on both sides of the ball and a real threat from set plays.  Made 1 or 2 mistakes today, but more than made up for them with his goal.

Lovren - 6/10 - Not the best day from Dejan, but far from the "useless c**t" some were calling him after his error.  He has been solid this season and 1 error doesn't undermine his performances to date.  Made up for it with his goal too :)

Moreno - 7/10 - So, I'm probably his biggest fan (maybe his only fan) on this board.  For me, he epitomizes everything that Klopp footie is all about -- gung ho, blood and thunder, attacking footie.  Milner certainly offers better balance to the side, but F**k balance when you can be exciting and entertaining!!  Should have closed Zaha down better for their 2nd, but otherwise played pretty well.  And for what it's worth, we've won every game Berto has started this season. 

Can - 5/10 - Got a goal, but very poor otherwise.  Poor positioning, poor passing, runs down blind alleys, and was fortunate not to concede a penalty.  I think he's got all the ability to be a top player, but not on today's showing....

Hendo - 6/10 - The best of our midfielders.  Was industrious on both sides of the ball, efficient with his passing, kept good positioning for the defensive side, and did little wrong. 

Lallana - 5/10 - Poor.  Was industrious, but we've come to expect much better from the lad.  However, I expect him to bounce back to his usual 7/10 performances next week. 

Mane - 7/10 - Could have been a 9 or 10 had he finished his chances.  Always making runs in behind, linking with his fellow attackers, and regularly making mince of the Palace defenders.  Very few players can handle his pace, skill, and athleticism -- his ability to attract extra attention creates openings for his fellow attackers to exploit. 

Firmino - 7/10 - Was a bit of a quiet game from Bobby, until his F***ing gem of a goal!!  Keep it up lad :)

Coutinho - 9/10 - Pulled the strings, took some brilliant corners, grabbed a couple assists, and could have had 1 or 2 goals himself.  Under Jürgen he's becoming the world class superstar we all knew he had the talent to be!! 

Klopp - 10/10 - Love this guy!!  We are exciting, entertaining, and efficient!!  Here's to a long era of Klopp dominance at Liverpool!! 

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #492: Oct 29, 2016 10:17:23 pm
      Yep Lovren was poor today. Matip on the other hand looks world class.

Imagine we had another quality centre back to partner Matip plus a top class keeper... we would be unstoppable

Way off mate....Lovren made a costly error but he wasn't poor at all, other than that he was solid as they come he's a very good defender.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #493: Oct 29, 2016 10:17:57 pm
      We are the most entertaining side in the world!!  I f**king love the way Klopp has us playing -- f**k defense, we'll just score more than you :)

Karius - 4/10 - Our worst player and not for the first time.  Hasn't shown anything to justify being ahead of Migs in the pecking order, and that's a sad indictment....

Clyne - 6/10 - Reliable in defense and industrious going forward.  Misplaces too many passes and rarely picks out a good cross, but should have had an assist today if Mane had kept his head down.

Matip - 7/10 - Looking to be the best transfer value of the summer.  He is very good on both sides of the ball and a real threat from set plays.  Made 1 or 2 mistakes today, but more than made up for them with his goal.

Lovren - 6/10 - Not the best day from Dejan, but far from the "useless c**t" some were calling him after his error.  He has been solid this season and 1 error doesn't undermine his performances to date.  Made up for it with his goal too :)

Moreno - 7/10 - So, I'm probably his biggest fan (maybe his only fan) on this board.  For me, he epitomizes everything that Klopp footie is all about -- gung ho, blood and thunder, attacking footie.  Milner certainly offers better balance to the side, but f**k balance when you can be exciting and entertaining!!  Should have closed Zaha down better for their 2nd, but otherwise played pretty well.  And for what it's worth, we've won every game Berto has started this season. 

Can - 5/10 - Got a goal, but very poor otherwise.  Poor positioning, poor passing, runs down blind alleys, and was fortunate not to concede a penalty.  I think he's got all the ability to be a top player, but not on today's showing....

Hendo - 6/10 - The best of our midfielders.  Was industrious on both sides of the ball, efficient with his passing, kept good positioning for the defensive side, and did little wrong. 

Lallana - 5/10 - Poor.  Was industrious, but we've come to expect much better from the lad.  However, I expect him to bounce back to his usual 7/10 performances next week. 

Mane - 7/10 - Could have been a 9 or 10 had he finished his chances.  Always making runs in behind, linking with his fellow attackers, and regularly making mince of the Palace defenders.  Very few players can handle his pace, skill, and athleticism -- his ability to attract extra attention creates openings for his fellow attackers to exploit. 

Firmino - 7/10 - Was a bit of a quiet game from Bobby, until his f**king gem of a goal!!  Keep it up lad :)

Coutinho - 9/10 - Pulled the strings, took some brilliant corners, grabbed a couple assists, and could have had 1 or 2 goals himself.  Under Jürgen he's becoming the world class superstar we all knew he had the talent to be!! 

Klopp - 10/10 - Love this guy!!  We are exciting, entertaining, and efficient!!  Here's to a long era of Klopp dominance at Liverpool!! 

7/10 for Moreno? He was hot headed and unreliable today, could have prevented their second and the ease with which Palace overloaded our left hand side was indicative of just how unreliable he was. A 5 for him today I think. And in no world is Henderson worse than Moreno. 6/10??? The captain was one of the best on the field. A solid 8 today.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #494: Oct 29, 2016 10:24:15 pm
      From the Echo

Gini Wijnaldum (on for Lallana) 7
      Came on and killed the game stone dead. This, from a player who was no.10 at Newcastle last season. Have an extra mark for that.

Pretty much encapsulates what a classy player he is
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #495: Oct 29, 2016 10:28:23 pm
      As if Arsenal is on before this game on MOTD.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #496: Oct 29, 2016 11:05:17 pm
      I thought the performance level, again, was absolutely top notch. Most games I'm finishing the match thinking how have we not just won that game by 4 or 5 clear goals?

Ratings:

Karius: He's nervous right now, I think that much is obvious. Once he settles we'll see a much clearer picture of what we have on our hands but to do that he's going to have to now overcome the opposition fans making him restless and the opposition now targeting him even more intently. 6/10

Moreno: Bossed it going forward in the first half, hitting the post and putting in dangerous cross after dangerous cross but allowed his man far too easy a cross into the box for their second. Was out of position too regularly and just added that extra bit of uncertainty at the back that we can't afford to carry. Milner to return as quickly as possible. 6.5/10

Lovren: I've said for a while that I didn't think the assured Dejan that a lot were claiming was the real deal, he's still a mistake waiting to happen and I think they're always there brewing under the surface. Brilliant that he atoned for the mistake with a nice goal but it wasn't his only mistake of the match. Still overall he was good, but I think his position is far more under threat than his partner's. 6.5/10

Matip: He's exceptional, best defender in the league in my opinion. I absolutely love him and he's exactly what we needed. Another one of him alongside him and we'd have the defence locked up for the next 10 years. 8.5/10

Clyne: Starting to get into the habit of putting in dangerous crosses along the ground, I like it as I think it complements our style more too. Covered in behind well and overall was decent at the back. 7/10

Henderson: I thought he could have done more in this game but was still good. He's had a little drop off from the purple patch he was in for a few games recently and in my opinion needs to drive his level back up there and make that his norm. Lovely through ball for Bobby though and I'd love to see more of that from him because I've always said it's the biggest frustration in his game because if he wasn't so often content with that safe ball the lad can see and execute a pass. 7.5/10

Can: Looking much fitter is Emre, delighted he got his goal, even if it did need a little help on the way in. Long held the belief that this would be his best position and it's nice that Jürgen gave him that opportunity. What he gives is a little more drive on the ball than Gini and as he develops I think he can become quite the force when he begins to trust himself to carry the ball more. I think plenty of that comes down to conditioning too, it's lung bursting to try, time and again, to break the lines like that and I see Emre not only getting quicker but indeed more able to produce these bursts more often. 7/10

Lallana: Becoming a crowd favourite and his hard work is certainly paying dividends now. Suits this position down to a tee, another strong performance by Adam. 7.5/10

Mane: Probably should have scored a couple and was probably one of his weakest performances for us but was still good. His willingness to track is exceptional and when you pair that with Lallana on that side really is a relentless press for the opposition and that alone forces so many errors for our opponents. 7/10

Coutinho: Another sublime performance from Phil, while if i was being hyper critical I still think he shoots too much (second only to Ibra in the league) when he does go for the pass there are few better in the league. His interplay with Mane/Firmino ties teams in knots and it's great to see him hitting these highs again. 8.5/10 MotM

Bobby: Another strong performance by one of the most underappreciated players in the league. Most chances created time and again, should have had another couple of assists but for poor finishing. Did once choose to pass to Cou rather than shoot which was a rare moment of poor choice by Bobby and capped off a fine display with an ice-cold finish. 8/10

Jürgen: Will be disappointed to concede 2 from open play after having the debate about his defence but to be honest the first was a calamitous gift that is far from the norm these days and the second Moreno, who has basically been dropped, proving why, despite his strong play going forward, he can't be the answer at LB. In attack though our side is absolutely brimming with confidence, I'd fancy us to score 4 against anyone right now, no matter how they set up. Palace came to sit back but were getting rolled over from about 15mins onwards, so much for those who claimed he couldn't set up differently and would be found out. Right now the league are running scared from us and long may that continue. 8/10

Brilliant stuff lads, 3 points at a place where some of our rivals will drop them, points gained in my opinion.

We march on!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #497: Oct 30, 2016 12:13:58 am
      lost the minutes exactly after Firmino 's goal.. had to go out ,was already 30 mins late
      how was the last 15 minutes after the fourth?,,, ,well I don't care it finished 2-4 for us ,,,so who cares

a good win in a lately difficult ground for us
      well in lads
      Phillippe MOTM by a mile,, exceptional

YNWA
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #498: Oct 30, 2016 12:20:03 am
      7/10 for Moreno? He was hot headed and unreliable today, could have prevented their second and the ease with which Palace overloaded our left hand side was indicative of just how unreliable he was. A 5 for him today I think. And in no world is Henderson worse than Moreno. 6/10??? The captain was one of the best on the field. A solid 8 today.

It's a game of opinions mate.  Moreno was electric in the opening 30 minutes.  Grabbed an assist and could have had a goal himself.  Was culpable for their 2nd, but did much more good than bad today. 

Hendo perhaps deserved a 7/10 rather than a 6/10 -- he did little wrong, but he didn't offer much quality going forward aside from the 1 great pass for Firmino's goal. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #499: Oct 30, 2016 12:46:54 am
      We are the most entertaining side in the world!!  I F***ing love the way Klopp has us playing -- F**k defense, we'll just score more than you :)

Moreno - 7/10 - So, I'm probably his biggest fan (maybe his only fan) on this board.  For me, he epitomizes everything that Klopp footie is all about -- gung ho, blood and thunder, attacking footie.  Milner certainly offers better balance to the side, but F**k balance when you can be exciting and entertaining!!  Should have closed Zaha down better for their 2nd, but otherwise played pretty well.  And for what it's worth, we've won every game Berto has started this season. 

Firmino - 7/10 - Was a bit of a quiet game from Bobby, until his F***ing gem of a goal!!  Keep it up lad :)

WAY too harsh there mate for a game we dominated completely. They scored one fluke and one nice header, never looked a danger at all. To give Klopp a 10 and most others 6's and 7's is so stupid the wick ends at him so you just can't do that and claim any objectivity what so ever.

Boss performance from everyone there apart from Karius who looks just as bad as Mignolet. I just keep saying in my head that De Gea was shockingly bad for his first season, let's hope it's just adjustment periods because he's been sh*te so far!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #500: Oct 30, 2016 12:51:25 am
      I can only say 6 at best for Moreno. And that's pushing it.

I'm not one to absolutely lambast him, and I've said here previously that I think there is a better player in there, but it was clear that Palace saw him as a major weakness as they were bombing forward down that left hand side like nobody's business. Positioning was awkward at times and he just didn't seem as tough in the tackle as our other players.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #501: Oct 30, 2016 12:55:22 am
      But a BIG shout out to Henderson. Along with Coutinho (MOTM obviously) he was immense. He was an absolute workhorse in that central midfield making up for the piss poor performance from Emre Can. He shielded that back four well, and proved to be a good starter of attacks - in addition to his sublime assist for the fourth goal.

Emre Can? I'm not convinced - a very very poor performance and I'm surprised he lasted 90 minutes considering he was at the root of all problems at the start of the second half. The difference between him and Wijnaldum is night and day. Sluggish and slow, no composure and gifted balls to them too many times. The game absolutely passed him by, Palace found it easy to play around him - even his goal isn't enough to prove to me he is a capable deputy at the moment.

Not good enough I'm afraid and he really has to put in a lot of work if he wants to be anywhere near Wijnaldum's starting place.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #502: Oct 30, 2016 01:05:03 am
      I can only say 6 at best for Moreno. And that's pushing it.

I'm not one to absolutely lambast him, and I've said here previously that I think there is a better player in there, but it was clear that Palace saw him as a major weakness as they were bombing forward down that left hand side like nobody's business. Positioning was awkward at times and he just didn't seem as tough in the tackle as our other players.

Really? An assist and you'd accept if someone gave him a 5?

Come off it.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #503: Oct 30, 2016 01:16:33 am
      WAY too harsh there mate for a game we dominated completely. They scored one fluke and one nice header, never looked a danger at all. To give Klopp a 10 and most others 6's and 7's is so stupid the wick ends at him so you just can't do that and claim any objectivity what so ever.

Boss performance from everyone there apart from Karius who looks just as bad as Mignolet. I just keep saying in my head that De Gea was shockingly bad for his first season, let's hope it's just adjustment periods because he's been sh*te so far!

So, it's wrong for me to give the manager (whose team selection and tactics dominated the opposition) a 10/10?  We should have won 8-0, but player mistakes and poor(ish) finishing kept the game interesting. 

Mind you, it's much easier for a manager to get a 10/10 than the players but Klopp nailed it again today. 
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #504: Oct 30, 2016 01:23:22 am
      So, it's wrong for me to give the manager (whose team selection and tactics dominated the opposition) a 10/10?  We should have won 8-0, but player mistakes and poor(ish) finishing kept the game interesting. 

You do know 10/10 means cannot do better right?

Look I don't want to argue after what I thought was a good performance. 10/10 is obviously hyperbole considering you claim his team selection and tactics were faultless yet half the team he picked was performing average. Come on, don't post silly stuff.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #505: Oct 30, 2016 01:35:56 am
      Thing I really like about this game and our play in general is the goals are coming from all over the park...Matip with his first for the club, Can I think his first this season, Lovren and of course Bobby...says a lot when 3 of the 4 goals come from players that are not named Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Lallana or Milner.\

Let the train keep on going!

Quick Reply