Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (3.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (6.2%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      111 (76.6%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (5.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2016 06:32:46 pm

Crystal Palace 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33401 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Crystal Palace 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Oct 30, 2016 02:58:10 pm
      Couple of things that differentiate this season from the 2013/14 season for me is, we are no longer realiant on one or two players and even though our defense could be better I still fell we have every game under control. 

I never felt that in that season, it was all very hectic, like an out of control juggernaut but one where the wheels could fall off at any moment.

I prefer this season  ;D

Also Deb we have a manager that has won a major league title now and that breeds confidence in not only the supporters but also the players.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #530: Oct 30, 2016 03:00:18 pm
      Sturridge is always ahead of Origi

Really?...Origi has made more appearances than Sturridge this season, best let the gaffer know so he can fix that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #531: Oct 30, 2016 03:07:52 pm
      God help the teams we face once we finally gel ;D

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #532: Oct 30, 2016 03:09:53 pm
      Also Deb we have a manager that has won a major league title now and that breeds confidence in not only the supporters but also the players.

Sure we do mate but that's kind of what I meant about the juggernaut, Brendan just let it roll out of control hoping it would keep going. 

Jürgen's set about the journey with a proper route planner, knows where he's taking us and how we're going to get there, even if we do have to take the odd detour on the way. 
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #533: Oct 30, 2016 03:11:05 pm
      Really?...Origi has made more appearances than Sturridge this season, best let the gaffer know so he can fix that.

I mean as a player. You can argue who is best for the team of either Firmino or Sturridge, but there's no argument that Origi is ahead of Sturridge.

Origi has 8 PL appearances.
      Sturridge has 7 PL appearances.

But of those appearances, Origi has played 112 minutes, whilst Sturridge has 347.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #534: Oct 30, 2016 03:34:24 pm
      I mean as a player. You can argue who is best for the team of either Firmino or Sturridge, but there's no argument that Origi is ahead of Sturridge.

Origi has 8 PL appearances.
      Sturridge has 7 PL appearances.

But of those appearances, Origi has played 112 minutes, whilst Sturridge has 347.

In context we were talking about the subs in the CP match, with 10 minutes to go and a 2 goal lead I would rather have and it would appear the manager concurs an Origi who is 2" taller, quite a bit faster and closes down players much better than Sturridge.

Were not talking about who is a better goal scorer or who is the better all around striker, we are talking about closing out a match when the 3 points are proverbially all ready in the bag.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #535: Oct 30, 2016 03:40:43 pm
      I realise what we are talking about of course. In that context, I believe it was the wrong choice of Klopp to bring on Origi and leave Sturridge on the bench. Yes, I realise that Klopp is somewhat the expert on the matter, but still open to error, and this is my opinion.

We had a 2 goal lead with 10 minutes to go. Sturridge has just scored 2 goals in the previous game - albeit a cup match. What he is lacking is Premier League game time, and Premier League goals. With 10 minutes on the clock, I believed and still now do, that Sturridge ought to have had the opportunity to come on. He has more about him to score goals than Origi, and it would have shown a willingness to get him in the team.

As it is, Sturridge had nothing to show for after his cup goals, and it would not be a surprise for him to again wonder where he fits into this team if Origi is picked ahead of him with 10 minutes and a 2 goal cushion. In my mind, that is a poor move by Klopp.

And to clarify, in terms of closing out the game, having Sturridge on still gives CP the threat so they can't all go guns blazing in search of the goal. Sturridge brings a fear, and they would have had to sit back somewhat knowing that a swift counter attack or passing combination could get Sturridge in with another goal.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #536: Oct 30, 2016 05:26:01 pm
      Pardew showed his arse by parking the bus on his own ground first half, thinking he could absorb our movement up front.
      Stupid pr**k !
      Then, in the second half, he thought his over weight sh*te midfield could win him back the game.. even bigger pr**k.
      Pardew is a tw*t of the highest degree and despite what bullshit he may have spouted about the harsh penalty appeals he has f**k all to hang on to after that..

Once again another top notch performance from all our lads..
      We always looked like scoring every time we attacked..
      Cracking header by Matip,
      World class chip by Firmino for the 4th

Wanky Watford next.. at home
      I can't see anything else but a 3 point blitzkrieg

We are well and truly in the race now! :scarf:

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #537: Oct 30, 2016 05:36:09 pm
      As it is, Sturridge had nothing to show for after his cup goals, and it would not be a surprise for him to again wonder where he fits into this team if Origi is picked ahead of him with 10 minutes and a 2 goal cushion. In my mind, that is a poor move by Klopp.

And to clarify, in terms of closing out the game, having Sturridge on still gives CP the threat so they can't all go guns blazing in search of the goal. Sturridge brings a fear, and they would have had to sit back somewhat knowing that a swift counter attack or passing combination could get Sturridge in with another goal.

I tend to agree with you, although I'm not sure it would have been more likely to lead to another goal.  I agree that as a piece of man-management towards DS, it doesn't look good.  However, Klopp has made it clear that he doesn't massage egos when it comes to selections or substitutions.  We won, that's what matters; but I for one would be sad to see DS leave due to his lack of playing opportunities, which looks quite likely to me.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #538: Oct 30, 2016 05:53:47 pm
      Coutinho was brilliant and only lacked a goal for his efforts. Defence needs some work...amazing that we say this as soon as Moreno comes back.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #539: Oct 30, 2016 11:06:18 pm
      Coutinho was brilliant and only lacked a goal for his efforts. Defence needs some work...amazing that we say this as soon as Moreno comes back.

It's needed work all season mate.  No sense scapegoating 1 player, especially as he was better than both Lovren and Karius on the night.... 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #540: Oct 30, 2016 11:41:56 pm
      Pardew showed his arse by parking the bus on his own ground first half, thinking he could absorb our movement up front.
      Stupid P**ck !
      Then, in the second half, he thought his over weight sh*te midfield could win him back the game.. even bigger pr**k.
      Pardew is a T**t of the highest degree and despite what bullshit he may have spouted about the harsh penalty appeals he has f**k all to hang on to after that..

Once again another top notch performance from all our lads..
      We always looked like scoring every time we attacked..
      Cracking header by Matip,
      World class chip by Firmino for the 4th

Wanky Watford next.. at home
      I can't see anything else but a 3 point blitzkrieg

We are well and truly in the race now! :scarf:

With all due respect, in his presser after the game, Pardew heaped a ton of praise upon us which I was pleasantly surprised by. He admitted they couldn't live with the lightning quick attacks, or the silky skills of some of our players. He even complemented our defence, which to be frank, is more than I did!!

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #541: Oct 31, 2016 05:03:22 am
      Great stuff first half, not as good second half, but when we got our two goal lead, we closed the game down well.

There's no legislation you can draw up for the first goal conceded, the good news is, that kind of mistake is relatively rare. While the second was poor all round, it's our first time to concede two since Burnley. So the defending has improved, but there's still a lot more work needed. Karius needs to come off his line more and claim crosses or punch themn clear. By staying on his line, he's inviting unnecessary problems. One thing we do know is he is the No. 1, so I'm sure Klopp will find a way to improve him over time. Of course this gives the press more ammo to hit us with. Well if they want clean sheets, rumour has it that they should go to the toilet and watch mid table football these days. Thrilling it ain't.

Another rarity in this game saw us score from not 1, but 2 corners!! It's usually a weakness, so great to see us get a couple right when we needed them. The other goals were well worked and well finished. Should have got some more, but any win at Palace will do in that kip, the only away ground I've been to, back in the Wimbledon days. It's still a kip.

So we're done in London for another 6 months, and now we head off across the rest of England in the meantime. We've taken 10 points from 12 so far, with the next trip to Watford at the end of April. We have the home game next week, another good chance to take a win and a few goals into the break.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #542: Oct 31, 2016 07:35:57 am
      Think the substitution of origi over studge was spot on, his pace and willingness to chase and harry was what was needed, one of Daniel's biggest fans but horses for courses and all that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #543: Oct 31, 2016 09:28:31 am
      Get the f**k in!!!

First chance I've had to get on here since the Win. Must admit was bricking it before and during the game.

Someone a few pages ago mentioned, (during the live match) that they wished Can had gone off and Lucas had come on to shore things up. Was praying Lucas wasn't going to come on at all and thank f**k he didn't. At 4-2 up was shitting it and if Lucas came on, would have thrown me over the edge. He has an unhealthy knack of giving stupid free kicks away always in wrong positions.

Anyways, great result lads. Tough place to go and we came away with the W.

Onwards and upwards and it's coming for sure, we are going to get rid of that GD between us and Citeh in one game. I tell ya we are going to batter a team 7 or 8 nil one of these days. Unfuckingstoppable!!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #544: Oct 31, 2016 09:40:06 am
      It's needed work all season mate.  No sense scapegoating 1 player, especially as he was better than both Lovren and Karius on the night.... 

How was Moreno better than Lovren? They were both guilty of mistakes leading to a goal, beyond that Lovren was rock solid. In fairness Moreno had a pretty good game but to say he was better than Lovren is ridiculous.
      Regarding Karius the jury really is out on that one, I can see that there is a good keeper in there but he needs to settle down, same as De Gea did, my big worry is Achterburg who seems to be the kiss of death for good keepers, what value does he bring?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #545: Oct 31, 2016 10:44:37 am
      Lets be honest for a moment aside from a couple of defensive errors and a ten minute spell where we were probably conserving a little energy and letting them have the ball, the score line flattered Palace, we absolutely tonked them, were in great form at the minute, just hope we can keep it up.

Reading the Liverpool thread on shitcafe, they are comparing Coutinho & Pogba, with one United fan stating 'No one in their right mind would pick Coutinho over Pogba'

Well on current form, i'd pick our little magician all day, every day and twice on Sundays, its a non contest, when/if Pogba starts to boss games, weigh in with goals/assists then and only then would he be comparable to Cout's. To borrow a phrase from John Henry 'What the hell they smoking over there?'

He's been immense for the most part this season, probably up there as one of/the best in the league and against Palace was probably one of his best performances in a red/luminous yellow shirt.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #546: Oct 31, 2016 11:04:17 am
      We're beginning to play like a team, goals from different positions. Let's focus on the positives instead of the negatives. Ok, Lovren made a rare mistake and it happens at times and at least he scored an equaliser. Moreno, I have at one point wanted him to be sold but, hey, he has improved and let' be honest about it. He used to go to the byline and whip the ball into box blindfolded. His quality of crosses are much much better now, trying to get the ball to the players inside the box. Most probably he is not made to be a left back to start with and more useful as a winger. I'm more worried of Man City and Arsenal pulling away and with a much better goals difference than us.
      smilerfox
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: Live: Crystal Palace V Liverpool
      Reply #547: Oct 31, 2016 12:08:09 pm

Coz he came out with  his hands down - and the ball was headed over him - THATS WHY
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #548: Oct 31, 2016 12:47:28 pm
      Fantastic result. Couldn't care less about what form Palace are in at the moment, it's not an easy place to go to and we've had some really tough games down there in recent seasons.

I'm glad Klopp said 'It was far from the perfect performance but we got the win so there is not much to moan about' or words to that effect, because I couldn't agree more. The points were crucial, had we lost then we would be sitting 5th right now, that's how tight it is at the moment and its vital we stay with the pack. I thought our performance was ok, we weren't great but we did enough to get the win and we deserved it too. There is plenty to pick at and improve on though - which is only a good thing before people start moaning on here as usual with their typical 'why can't you just enjoy the win and be happy' bollocks. We're winning and we still have a lot of room for improvement - its good. Its exciting.

Karius - I didn't think he had a bad game in truth and I don't think he can be blamed for either goal but he still doesn't bring that confidence to the back four which you need from your keeper.

Clyne - Same old from Nathaniel. Defensively consistent. Nothing more to add.

Matip - Saying the same thing about him every week - signing of the season. He has settled in so quickly it looks like he has been playing for us for years. He is the best centre half I've seen since Sami which is some compliment to the lad. Great goal as well, its about time we became a threat from set pieces!

Lovren - Had an absolute mare for their first goal. What was he thinking?! I've watched the replay over and over and I still can't work out what he was trying to do  :lmao:. Fantastic bullet header to put us back in front though, again, its great we're a threat from set pieces now. I personally think he could have done better for their second goal too. Benteke beats him in the air for the first aerial challenge which you can accept because Benteke is a monster plus it wasn't in a dangerous position. But as Lovren drops back into position for when the cross comes in he gets beaten by McArthur which shouldn't happen. So two big mistakes for Dejan which on another day could have cost us.

Moreno - Great assist for our first goal, he did really well getting in behind Palaces defence and picking Can out with that pass. Very thankful he didn't do the sturridge dance this time too.  Couple of other moments where he was good going forward, he even hit the post. Defensively ok, didn't make many mistakes, didn't make any rash tackles or any stupid decisions, I thought he had a decent game.

Can - For me, he wasn't involved. Didn't realise he was playing until he scored - which to be fair was a great goal. He needs to do more of that, making runs into the box and chipping in with goals. He needs to start taking responsibility and bossing the midfield more too. He has been a bit of a passenger in recent games I think.

Lallana - A quiet game for Adam too in honesty. Usually he involves himself much more but I didn't see that from him on Saturday.

Hendo -   Up until this season I was really gunning for Hendo. In our title chasing season he was brilliant because he had Stevie, Sterling, Coutinho, Luis and Sturridge playing the footy and all Hendo had to do was the donkey work. The type of work that goes un noticed but every team needs it. Before and after that season when we lacked quality and we needed more from Hendo he wasn't producing the goods - its not his fault, hes just not that type of player. He isn't a steven gerrard and he isn't a Philippe coutinho.  But Hendo has really impressed me so far this season and I thought it was another good performance from him. He is putting in those same performances he did in in the nearly season because he has Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Lallana playing the football.  He sits a lot deeper now which definitely suits him and he just keeps us ticking. He mops anything up, covers a lot of ground and is starting to pass the ball forward a lot more now too. That through ball to Firmino for our winner was fantastic.  He is a very energetic DM, that's his best position and it always has been, and his performances are showing that now.

Coutinho - motm by a clear mile. He ran the game again. He looks up for it this season Coutinho, teams can't get near him. They even tried hacking him down at one point and he was still running circles around them. In previous seasons (playing Benteke for example), we have been far too static. Now we have Mane and Firmino running all over the show which really brings the best out of our magician. Its not the person on the ball who decides where the pass goes, its the person who makes the run. Coutinho will find you all day long with the ball. Hes F***ing brilliant, I love him.

Mane - going to be  a bit critical of mane here because he should have had a brace. He missed some great chances to put the game to bed. I do love what he brings to our team though, hes so F***ing quick, gets in dangerous positions and more goals will come from him. Just be a little bit more composed in front of goal and we have a real player on our books here.

Firmino - I thought he had a pretty quiet game but he took his goal superbly. Divvy for taking his shirt off though, why do players do that when they know they're getting a yellow? Really annoys me.

Need to cut these silly mistakes out at the back we can't have another season of we'll score more than you. But well done lads, great 3 points, keep it up!!!

Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #549: Oct 31, 2016 12:48:38 pm
      Its still a work in progress, we shouldnt forget that.
      At the start, most were worried about Milner as left back...now after injury its a different story and Moreno is effectively back up not first choice.
      Yes, he played better...but the defensive side of his game needs to get better. Each player in the backline has had their opportunity to mess up. What i look for is improvement each game and the fear with Moreno is that he genuinely doesnt look a defender. The positioning and even simple art of closing players down before crossing, not to mention the occasional rash lunge or tackle...he is too error prone to give the rest of the backline any sort of confidence in my opinion.

So in my view our defence is much more of a work in progress than the other aspects of our play and i reckon JK will re-look his LB and RB options as the season goes on.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #550: Oct 31, 2016 12:53:15 pm
      With all due respect, in his presser after the game, Pardew heaped a ton of praise upon us which I was pleasantly surprised by. He admitted they couldn't live with the lightning quick attacks, or the silky skills of some of our players. He even complemented our defence, which to be frank, is more than I did!!

Fair comment... but he's still a T**t !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #551: Oct 31, 2016 01:04:05 pm
      Coz he came out with  his hands down - and the ball was headed over him - THATS WHY

THANK YOU FOR THE CLARIFICATION!

Let's forget the ball Lovren played, then. He's not the first keeper to come out to a high ball and miss it. One of those 50/50s that happen. It wouldn't have happened if Lovren didn't F**k things up.

Quick Reply