Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The "as I said all along" stakes, hows it looking?

Read 3506 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      The "as I said all along" stakes, hows it looking?
      Oct 30, 2016 03:53:34 pm
      What a few weeks for Liverpool football club. We are playing the best football I can remember for decades, we're winning every week and we must surely be everyone bar the Mancs and Chelsea's favourite "other" team. I've been off the forum for a bit, but I thought it might be a good time to look back on where we all felt we'd be at this stage, who we felt would be playing well, where our weaknesses would be etc. A kind of "half first term report" if you like.

Firstly we ought to have a look at the Where will we finish? question. Now pre season I and a few others predicted sixth, and we are wrong with a capital ONG! It looks to me almost certain that we will see credible and sustained title challenge, well done to S@int etc. We might even win the thing the way it's going, but there appears to be no chance whatsoever of finishing sixth. Here's the rub though, even if we did encounter loads of injuries and finish sixth eventually, those like me who predicted it would be wrong in all but name only. When I said "sixth" I said it meaning we would be the sixth best team, wherever we finish we are better than that by miles.

Next, The left back situation . Here I've got to say I was wrong again, but in a much bigger minority (or even majority) this time. Who thought (other than presumably Jürgen) that James Milner was capable of looking like one of the best left backs in the league? Many thought he was an awful signing in the first place, but here he is a pivotal member of our first eleven and our penalty taker, unbelievable. If Milner stays fit, Jürgen was right we don't need a new left back.

Jordan Henderson . Our much maligned captain (by me too lets be honest) is suddenly looking like a bloody good player to tell the truth. I didn't predict that at all, but didn't think he was anywhere near so bad as many did so I'm not quite so wrong this time. Unbelievable turnaround for the lad though, all credit to him and the boss.

Man Utd . Who could have predicted they would be quite so bad? Behind Watford  :lmao:. Not me, I thought they'd challenge  :o.

Everyone gets a dodgy window sometimes, looks like I've had mine :f_wah:. How are you going? Did you get some/all or none right too?

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: The "as I said all along" stakes, hows it looking?
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2016 03:55:38 pm
      And the first post back for ages goes into the wrong section of the forum ;D. Sorry mods, some way off being match fit I suppose  :roll:.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2016 04:21:32 pm
      Pre Season I thought we'd finish around 7th - I thought we could possibly add about 10 points on to our total from last season which I would have been happy with but I thought a lot of the other teams would strengthen - United, Chelsea and that Leicester would stay in the top 6 or so.

James Milner - been a revelation at left back and Jordan Henderson has been his most impressive since joining us.  Still think a long term injury there and relying on Moreno might not be clever.  Don't think we have as much strength in depth at full back as we might think.

There's a good three way clash now between him, Can and Wijnaldum and although I still think ultimately he will make way for the other two - he's doing a great job so far.

Still early days for Mourinho but hopefully he will maintain the downward trajectory.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2016 04:28:23 pm
      Most entertaining game I have seen for a while. On the evidence of the season so far, must be a minimum of finishing third.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2016 04:55:42 pm
      I wasn't confident in Milner for LB either and said it was a big mistake to let Flanagan go. As Milner LB is a clear success and Flanno doesn't even succeed to get a game at Burnley I guess I was wrong.

I was confident Karius would be a big improvement over Migs, and Migs was the main cause we were leaking so many goals, far less convinced now.

I couldn't believe we were going to push Sakho (who I still rate as our second most talented defender not counting his behavior) to the sidelines. Seems Klopp wasn't agreeing with me.

Finally I've said we were going to finish around third place, right on this one at this moment, but I regret not to have said first as we're going to win the league.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Oct 30, 2016 04:56:03 pm
      Good to see you back Mick.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6: Oct 30, 2016 05:04:58 pm
      I said we'd win the League (and have done every year since I took an interest in football) so that's nothing new. There's still a F***ing age left in the season though so I can't go patting meself on the back just yet. But I still think we'll win it.

I'm not overly convinced with Milner at left back and still think it was an error to not go out and sign a new left back in the summer. As well as Milner has played there, and he has to be fair to him, he's still culpable to being found out on occasions. As results are going in our favour and he's scoring the number of penalties he is, it overshadows the defensive lapses from him. But not being a natural left back cost us at Spurs (although it was one of those games where had we finished any one of the number of chances we created, we'd of won comfortably). He was found out a bit against Swansea as well, from a defensive stand point. He's played well but I don't think it's as rosy as some make out and I still think we should of signed a permanent, long term, left back in the summer.

Henderson is a player I've always rated and felt the criticism of him bordered on comical to downright idiotic from some. Admittedly I didn't see him taking up the role he currently has, I thought he'd be higher up the pitch but Jürgen seems to have found a role that suits Jordy down to the ground. He, Wijnaldum and Lallana is easily our best central midfield trio right now and that will, hopefully, be the way Jürgen sets about us.

I didn't give a monkey's toss about any club in the summer or right now. I only focus on Liverpool.

The one, probably two, examples of me getting it arse above tit was Firmino and Lallana. At times last year I claimed our biggest problem was Roberto Firmino because he was meant to be the answer to our prayers the previous summer and it just didn't materialise for him. But this year, playing as the centre forward, he has epitomised everything that Klopp wants from his players. He's leading the charge on the press. Ian Rush was widely regarded as our best defender, Firmino is starting to take that mantle himself now. And Lallana has been a revelation this season. He's still full of the drag backs and step overs in needless situations (he did it about ten yards in our half against Palace and lost it) but again, his work rate and work ethic are what Klopp wants. Firmino presses, Lallana presses, Henderson presses. It's like the gauntlet off Gladiators, it's just relentless. And whether either Firmino or Lallana have improved technically under Klopp I don't know but they've evidently improved the way we as a club play under him.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 342 
      Reply #7: Oct 30, 2016 05:09:32 pm
      Agreed. Good to see you spreading words of wisdom again, mate.

I think I have to hold my hands up (praise be to Klopp) and say that I thought we'd struggle again, and in the same ways as last season, against the bus-parkers and the counter-attackers.  Then we saw off Hull, Leicester, WBA and Palace and I'm starting to believe!
      We didn't buy a left back (Madness! Thought I), but now it doesn't seem to matter.
      We didn't start with Sturridge (Bonkers! Said me) but we're rattling them in left right and centre.
      We got a new German keeper (Hooray! Organised! Reliable! Predicted I) and he's pants (but might turn into David De Gea's double if we leave him alone).
      Jürgen gives away all his trade secrets on live Sky footy (Insane! I declared) but still no team can live with us.

In short, I know sweet FA about football.  Football proves it to me week in, week out!  Liverpool can go on proving me wrong, I don't care, as long as this continues.  Haven't felt this positive since ... ooh, 1989? 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Oct 30, 2016 05:20:51 pm
      I thought we'd finish top 4 so I am very happy to see we're on track to have that as a minimum expectation so far.

Milner has done so well at left back, I must say he's been a revelation and I don't think anyone at the start of the season thought he'd be our starting left back as we were all waiting for someone new to come in.

Can't say I'm surprised Henderson is playing outstanding. Have been saying since season one when he's fit and healthy he's always good and has been for years. Some people are just moronic, stubborn or both; and refused to acknowledge that and will no doubt go back to bashing him after one bad performance but that's sadly to be expected.

I think we all wanted United to do badly but this is beyond even my wildest dreams. Long may it continue!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Oct 30, 2016 06:06:19 pm
      Welcome back Mick, hope whatever took your time turned out for the best.

In terms of predictions or "as I said all along", off the top of my head:

Klopp will win the league with us within 4 years: Looking well on track. (Accurate)

Klopp is the only fit that could bail FSG out with their approach to the game. (Looking accurate)

Projected finish: Went from saying top 4, to close to the title by the end of the transfer window. Right now that looks quite close. I'd make us favourites right now, still not completely sold on our consistency and squad depth but the reserves beating Spurs reserves so well went a long way to allaying those fears. (Looking accurate)

Transfers would change from the shambles they were before to a controlled approach with clear direction. (Accurate)

Mignolet would be number 2, not number 1. (So far proving accurate)

Firmino would be getting 15 goals / 15 assists this season: Goals look well on target, astonishingly after creating the most chances in the league of any player he has fallen well behind on assists. Thankfully I think he can maintain that creativity and therefore can catch up. (Call this even but confident it will prove to be accurate)

Henderson isn't captain material and was only there by default: While I still think the latter part of that is true, I do believe that Jordan has been one of our better players for the last 10 games or so. A couple of absolute captain performances and is serving me slice after slice of humble pie. I wont get sick of the taste though and hope to be on my 40+ course of it by the end of the season. (woefully wrong)

Lallana: While I thought he lacked the pace to make it at the top, I did suggest that he would be a much better player if he were dropped into the midfield 3. While I'd maybe call that prediction even, that doesn't quite give Adam the credit he deserves because he's progressed further than I thought he would and is now one of the first names on the teamsheet. (Even)

Karius: Thought he would be a huge upgrade on Mignolet and to be fair to him I don't think he's been anywhere near the disaster that some are seeming to say. I think in time he will still prove to be an excellent purchase but has a real challenge on his hands right now. Is he an upgrade on Mignolet, from my perspective he is but from other's it appears there's a lot of doubt, so for now I'll call that even. (Even)

Milner: Thought he looked superb at LB in preseason, even suggested that was the place I was most confident in him playing, then he had a bit of a shocker and I had a knee-jerk thinking Jürgen could be making a huge mistake by not buying a LB. Right now he's looking easily our best LB and I'm very confident when he starts there, in fact voted him MotM recently, even more so considering how many penalties we're forcing. (Wrong)

Wrong: 2
      Even: 3
      Accurate/Looking Accurate: 5

Happy enough with that strike-rate, in the "as I said all along" stakes :lmao:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Oct 30, 2016 07:16:52 pm
      Good to see you back Mick. Some comments a quarter way through season

Form - didn't think we'd be playing as well as we are now. Yesterday was super stuff, building on previous games, and we're now doing it pretty consistently (not to put a hex on it). Don't have the 'distraction' of Europe that other sides round the top have, so that's a plus, and we've some of the lower sides in upcoming games, so medium term looking very, very good. Still think though that any side finishing ahead of City will be top of the table. No reason why can't be us though :) if keep playing as we are...

Working from the back...

Karius - didn't know what to expect - disappointed so far, but early days. Currently doing a pretty good impression of Migs imo, hesitant/not dominanting the area, decent shot stopper, dodgy with ball at feet, ropey decision making. No major blunder yet though, so that *is* something, given Migs would usually throw a spanner in pretty regularly.

Matip - really impressed, looks like a top CB, tall, calm, good with ball at feet. Maybe not most aggressive, but the right partner would even that out. Didn't know what to expect, v good so far.

Lovren - still making mistakes, but can't doubt his will or effort. If can lessen the mistakes, will be good partner for Matip.

Milner - didn't think would be ideal having him at FB, but he's done great. Always starts ahead of Moreno for me. Hits a good peno too.

Moreno - great going forward, completely unpredictable though when defending ... have not changed my mind on him, he needs a lot of work to be a first choice FB

Hendo - at last showing form he is capable off, has had so much critisism, but keeping the doubters quiet (for now!). Have been in the pro Hendo camp, so good to see. Think he has more goals in him, but is playing very deep.

Wijnaldum - was a bit unsure about him, and still am tbh - though he is growing (slowly) on me. Has improved, but think he can be a bit more dominant. Plenty of energy, covers a lot of ground, certainly 'can do a job' -  has time to develop

Can - don't get why getting some stick at the mo, coming back from injury, thought he did well yest, scored a goal, and a good physical presence for us in the middle. Wijnaldum will have a job displacing him

Cou - in brilliant form, regular motm, could see why a Barca might be interested. Has added goals to his game, his skill and control and vision at speed is something else, unreal. Need to hold onto him as long as we can. Keep it up Phil

Mane - had doubts about Sadio, another refugee from Saint ... but he's been great since coming in, lightning quick, direct, strong - complements the others in the front three really well. And has been pretty consistent.

Firmino - vastly improved, works hard, technically really good, and pretty tidy finish yesterday. Not surprised keeping Studge out

Studge - thought we might sell him during the summer and sign a striker Klopp would play as first choice. Super finisher, but can't see future right now if doesn't get with the program without the ball. Pity, as it probably our best finisher on his day. Obviously would be great to keep him, but can't see him hanging if he doesn't start getting a lot more first XI play in the the PL.

Origi - still doing well, could argue he's Klopps 2nd choice striker (depending on the lay of the land in a game). Good option from the bench

Ings - what I've seen I haven't been overly impressed, works hard, but not sure is natural finisher. But not really seen enough of him to be sure

Lucas - delighted he stayed, decent option at CB for certain games

Migs - must be thinking he's got a chance to get back in if he can cut out his mistakes and show better form that Loris

Klavan - another good option off the bench

Full marks to Jürgen, Doing great. Strong first XI, and better options from the bench than we've had in years. Not getting hopes too high yet, but quietly confident we can do something this season :)

Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: Oct 30, 2016 07:30:22 pm
      I predicted "top four".Watched a few games and popped into William Hills and had £50 quid each way (first two) at 8/1.So I've knicked the price,just have a bit of a wait to draw me winnings.
      Hendo now playing as well if not better than before his ban (that imho cost us the title.)
      Bit concerned with Karius tbh.However De Gea looked equally as bad "early on".So hope Jürgen sticks with him for a while.
      Lastly....Just LOVE watching Maureens morons falling away (slowly).

IJKWT.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #12: Oct 30, 2016 07:38:15 pm
      Seems a long time ago now, but I think I predicted we'd finish 7th.
      Mainly due to an inept keeper. We changed him, but not much, if any, improvement. (at the mo)
      Then hendo, headless chicken who can run for hours, but with little end product. Starting to prove me wrong, looking stronger and more positive every game.
      Back four jitters at set pieces. Still not even 80% right, but slightly improved, and the gaffer realises its a work in progress.
      Think Sturridge was out injured early days and we were starting without a recognised striker. Not good. Bob was not the inspired player we expected last season. My what a turnaround.
      Generally, the high press, quick recovery of the ball, super speed counters, Sublime finishes from the front 3 and the mid field, plus a contribution from the back.
      Milner at left back, never going to succeed due to lack of pace. Seems to overcome that 90% of the time with his reading of the game.
      7th ?  Now i'd be disappointed  if we finished lower than 3rd.
      Can we win it ? That depends on our head to heads with the other contenders for the remainder of the season. Haven't done bad in that department so far, and we seem to have overcome the lacklustre performances against the mid table sides and the total capitulations against the lower placed sides.
      I currently believe one of three will win it, and we are in there. It's just about holding our nerve now.
      The last game of 2016 will tell us a lot, and i believe we'll win that one.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #13: Oct 30, 2016 09:04:22 pm
      Good to see you back Mick. Some comments a quarter way through season

Wijnaldum - was a bit unsure about him, and still am tbh - though he is growing (slowly) on me. Has improved, but think he can be a bit more dominant. Plenty of energy, covers a lot of ground, certainly 'can do a job' -  has time to develop

Can - don't get why getting some stick at the mo, coming back from injury, thought he did well yest, scored a goal, and a good physical presence for us in the middle. Wijnaldum will have a job displacing him.

I disagree - it's the other way around for me. Can will find it hard to displace Wijnaldum.

Can was unbelievably sloppy and sluggish yesterday and doesn't have the pace or dynamism of Wijnaldum - just look at how easily Palace players played around him. It was striking and made us look a lot more defensively vulnerable than in previous matches with Wijnaldum in place. Henderson was doing all the work in central midfield. As it is, Wijnaldum is streets ahead of Can at the moment.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #14: Oct 30, 2016 09:59:07 pm
      We look solid, assured, classy and dangerous, with the best work rate of any team in the league. Great managers get average players playing well, good players putting in performances over and above their normal level, and great players tearing it up...I feel this is what we are seeing with Jürgen.

From Milner at LB, to Hendo and Lallana in the middle, and the awesome attacking trio of Coutinho, Firmino and Mané ahead of them, we are proving to be a cohesive, athletic unit that possesses flair and will-power in abundance. So much good combination play it is silly.

For my money we should be finishing top four minimum, and with no European football I see no reason not to think we can't push any other team to the wire.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #15: Oct 30, 2016 10:55:39 pm
      I thought we would struggle a bit this year because, Utd and City under Mourinho and Guaridola would be gearing up for war; Chelsea had a very strong squad anyway and Conte is a good manager. I thought Coutinho would go. However, I rate Klopp at the very top. His Dortmund were the best team in Europe a few years back. We are making the most of the fact we don't have European football. Milner as leftback didn't surprise me. He's a very realiable footballer with surprising quality really. He also has a football brain and those players can adapt.

I wasn't surprised by Sturridge dropping down the pecking order, nor Sakho (after his exploits). Klopp knows his own mind and values discipline obviously.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2016 01:20:17 am
      On league finish there was a thread at season's start, probably not too far down on the list here - that might be interesting to revisit.

For all those saying they were wrong:

1. Fair play.

2. We've been conditioned to brace ourselves for disappointment,so that has to be part of it.

3. We're still only 1/4 into the season. some of the papers are starting to write these "how great is it going to be?..." articles and I wish they would all just do one. It's a great start and it's thrilling to watch, but we haven't won anything yet. Stay composed, my brothers and sisters.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2016 03:59:31 am
      Firstly we ought to have a look at the Where will we finish?

Tipped top 3 with Chelsea and City.

All i said on this was Moreno is sh*t and we'll struggle with him. Milner playing probably validates that thought.

Never picked him to be our defensive mid and i don't think he should be with Emre in front of him. Emre suits Jordan's current role and vice versa. Lets Jordan get forward and pick a pass which he is better at than Emre. Also Emre reads a game much better defensively and brings the ball out better than Jordan.

Man Utd . Who could have predicted they would be quite so bad? Behind Watford  :lmao:. Not me, I thought they'd challenge  :o.

Knew they weren't a threat. Their problems aren't going to be solved overnight and continuing to pump money on their midfield/attack won't fix their sh*te defence. Got money on Ibra scoring less than 20 for the season, too.

Tipped a top four of ourselves, City, Chelsea and Arsenal come the end of the season.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2016 06:11:26 pm
      Start of the season i thought we'd be around 6th or 5th  but now  i think top 4 is on.
      Milner has been outstanding and a credit to his team and manager.
      Henderson has improved but not on the level some have made out. But improvement is a start.
      The silly goals being given away is simply unsustainable and has to stop if we want the title. Moreno should never play for the team again , so we need cover at LB.
      Not convinced by Karius ( why didn't we get Hart? )
      Yet we are joint top at the start of November , i'm loving it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2016 06:29:54 pm

Pure speculation here but I would imagine for the same reason that Pep got rid!

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2016 06:43:20 pm
      I disagree - it's the other way around for me. Can will find it hard to displace Wijnaldum.

Can was unbelievably sloppy and sluggish yesterday and doesn't have the pace or dynamism of Wijnaldum - just look at how easily Palace players played around him. It was striking and made us look a lot more defensively vulnerable than in previous matches with Wijnaldum in place. Henderson was doing all the work in central midfield. As it is, Wijnaldum is streets ahead of Can at the moment.

Has Wijnaldum been injured? I think Can has started last two
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2016 07:12:17 pm
      Just had a look through the (where do you think we'll finish thread ) surprising amount thought we'd win it ,
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2016 09:25:50 pm
      Still think we need a left back for rotation purposes and in case of injuries. IE klopp or no klopp Moreno will never make a premier league player.

As for everything else, as it stands at the moment I may have underestimated our squads ability.

Time will tell because a few injuries will expose a few weaknesses in the team, and still a big ? over our keeper.

Quick Reply