Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC hire Sporting Director

Read 4135 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: LFC hire Sporting Director
      Reply #23: Nov 04, 2016 04:57:44 pm
      Doesn't sound like the  TC is gone....just sounds like this guy will take over the transfer negotiations aspect that Ayre always handled. I know nothing about him but  I'll pretend that this is a master stroke of genius and shout my good favor!!!! Yes!!!!!!

Transfer committee will always be there just like it is at every other club in the world.

Perhaps the difference now is the idea that in Klopp/Edwards we have to figures to blame when a transfer doesn't go as expected versus trying to figure out who is lurking in the shadows making bad decisions.

What we should be happy about is the idea that perhaps just perhaps we can have some type of continuity now with this structure in place...the idea being that from the under-9's to the first team we should all be playing a certain way..and if a manager leaves we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...to many upheavals the past 10-15 years..to many system changes, all those changes had the club lose its way.

The problem, I would say, is that this wonderful club changed philosophy three or four times in the last 10 or 15 years because different managers came in. That’s the English [way] of doing things obviously. The new manager is coming in. ‘What do I have to change?’ –‘Everything’. The former manager gets sacked because results were not good but a lot of things around this could have been good, actually. And we try to create a situation where everything around is perfect and if the manager changes in the future, then this club still has a good base.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/241974-boss-we-re-creating-a-structure-for-the-future-of-lfc

Perhaps now we can have long term stability top to bottom which is what we have so lacked.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2016 05:16:53 pm by AZPatriot »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: Nov 04, 2016 05:53:19 pm
      If Jürgen is ok with it, then so am I.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Nov 04, 2016 05:56:57 pm
      Sounds like Jürgen is ok with it.

In all honesty I think a 'Sporting Director' is only as good as the manager below them. It's a fancy role and it perhaps makes Edwards look more influential than he really is but my own perception is that he probably only got the job and looks good because Jürgen made it work for him by getting all the players performing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #26: Nov 04, 2016 06:03:09 pm
      Sounds like Jürgen is ok with it.

In all honesty I think a 'Sporting Director' is only as good as the manager below them. It's a fancy role and it perhaps makes Edwards look more influential than he really is but my own perception is that he probably only got the job and looks good because Jürgen made it work for him by getting all the players performing.

Ours is a bit different in that the manager was in place prior to the director whereas it would seem that with many clubs in Europe the sporting directors are usually the ones that hire the managers.

Maybe I am wrong..but I think long term this position is quite a bit more than window dressing or a title.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #27: Nov 04, 2016 06:19:46 pm
      Transfer committee will always be there just like it is at every other club in the world.

Perhaps the difference now is the idea that in Klopp/Edwards we have to figures to blame when a transfer doesn't go as expected versus trying to figure out who is lurking in the shadows making bad decisions.

What we should be happy about is the idea that perhaps just perhaps we can have some type of continuity now with this structure in place...the idea being that from the under-9's to the first team we should all be playing a certain way..and if a manager leaves we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...to many upheavals the past 10-15 years..to many system changes, all those changes had the club lose its way.

The problem, I would say, is that this wonderful club changed philosophy three or four times in the last 10 or 15 years because different managers came in. That’s the English [way] of doing things obviously. The new manager is coming in. ‘What do I have to change?’ –‘Everything’. The former manager gets sacked because results were not good but a lot of things around this could have been good, actually. And we try to create a situation where everything around is perfect and if the manager changes in the future, then this club still has a good base.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/241974-boss-we-re-creating-a-structure-for-the-future-of-lfc

Perhaps now we can have long term stability top to bottom which is what we have so lacked.

Eh....like someone else said, anything good going on at the club is due to Jürgen getting the best out of his players,  not any administrative changes that FSG have made.

If we start losing tomorrow it will be one more thing for people to gripe about.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Nov 04, 2016 06:28:57 pm
      I think there's been a lot of whiplash injuries caused by this thread, the u-turns have been so dramatic.

Edwards was and will remain part of the much maligned "Transfer Committee", with his degree in Business Management and Informatics, and his knowledge of Prozone, he was a key part of using stats to assess players suitability for us.

Quick lads, more u-turns  :laugh:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #29: Nov 04, 2016 10:39:55 pm
      Looks like he might be busy in January getting Jürgen another winger.

https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/794668566926786564

Quick Reply