Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 49669 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #23: Nov 05, 2016 06:35:47 pm
      If Sakho goes then will need a new CB and cover for Ings/Mane
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Nov 05, 2016 06:39:24 pm
      My main worry is us not getting anybody in and the injuries hitting us from February onwards.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #25: Nov 05, 2016 06:58:58 pm
      If Sakho goes then will need a new CB and cover for Ings/Mane

Do we need Sakho? We have cover in Ragnar and Lucas. It might well be that Sakho is moved on to pay for cover for Mane/Ings, and a replacement is bought in the Summer with Lucas released. That being said, do we want to be buying cover for players out for a limited period of time? It might be better to look for a loan player to bring in.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: Nov 05, 2016 07:12:48 pm
      We need to sign someone who will give us what mane gives us when he goes to the African cup.

Other than that id say were ok unless some leave though I would personally sign a goalkeeper who can dominate there area preferably one with premier league experience and in there 30s
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27: Nov 05, 2016 08:21:08 pm
      We need to sign someone who will give us what mane gives us when he goes to the African cup.

Other than that id say were ok unless some leave though I would personally sign a goalkeeper who can dominate there area preferably one with premier league experience and in there 30s

Ojo, Ejaria?

I am fine if the gaffer wants to go grab another player to cover Mane...that being said were not going to go drop £30 million for one and get a like for like comparable to Mane...so if we are going to go grab a lesser quality clone we need to compare that type of player to what we have in the two above.

We want cover yes...but we don't want to throw up a roadblock for those behind who are obviously sitting right behind the 1st team and waiting to come in.

We lose Mane to ACN...we could play

Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino as a front 3

Firmino, Origi, Lallana as a front 3

Firmino, Lallana, (Ojo/Ejaria) as a front 3

4-4-2 with Hendo/Wijnaldum/Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino with Sturridge/Origi up top.

Seeing how our players don't really seem to have defined positions up front there are a ton of combinations/formations we can play.

Again if the gaffer wants someone I am sure we will get them, but I am also sure he is looking at a couple of kids that are just about ready to step in and he does not want to throw a roadblock in they're path.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Nov 05, 2016 09:19:53 pm
      Ojo, Ejaria?

I am fine if the gaffer wants to go grab another player to cover Mane...that being said were not going to go drop £30 million for one and get a like for like comparable to Mane...so if we are going to go grab a lesser quality clone we need to compare that type of player to what we have in the two above.

We want cover yes...but we don't want to throw up a roadblock for those behind who are obviously sitting right behind the 1st team and waiting to come in.

We lose Mane to ACN...we could play

Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino as a front 3

Firmino, Origi, Lallana as a front 3

Firmino, Lallana, (Ojo/Ejaria) as a front 3

4-4-2 with Hendo/Wijnaldum/Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino with Sturridge/Origi up top.

Seeing how our players don't really seem to have defined positions up front there are a ton of combinations/formations we can play.

Again if the gaffer wants someone I am sure we will get them, but I am also sure he is looking at a couple of kids that are just about ready to step in and he does not want to throw a roadblock in they're path.

Just because they're options that doesn't mean they're what the boss wants in a direct replacement. Mane offers what very few of our other players do, speed. Ejaria isn't that quick and still needs to develop and Ojo is still coming back from a bad injury.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #29: Nov 05, 2016 09:40:09 pm
      I vote against activities. It's simple: Never change a winning team. We have enough quality back-up's.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #30: Nov 05, 2016 09:42:53 pm
      We need a Left Back That has not changed... And Dahoud if we can get him would be nice
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31: Nov 05, 2016 10:18:16 pm
      Just because they're options that doesn't mean they're what the boss wants in a direct replacement

However you could just as easily say that if he does not pick up a direct replacement for Mane that those two options might be exactly what the boss wanted.
      rossyred

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #32: Nov 05, 2016 10:39:07 pm
      Do we need Sakho? We have cover in Ragnar and Lucas. It might well be that Sakho is moved on to pay for cover for Mane/Ings, and a replacement is bought in the Summer with Lucas released. That being said, do we want to be buying cover for players out for a limited period of time? It might be better to look for a loan player to bring in.

Not sure Lucas or Klavan good enough to be our third best CB option. Loan.player best option but if we get one means they werent good enough at their own club usually
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #33: Nov 06, 2016 12:40:23 am
      I always ask myself, what would Bill or Bob have done.  They more often than not would have improved the team.  So I would say improve the team if there's anyone out there although there most probably isn't at this time as I can't think of anyone who is standing out and available. (Joe Allen has had an amazing run).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Nov 06, 2016 01:48:07 am
      Jürgen already said he will be looking for a wide attacker.

Apart from that, i don't think we will go for anyone. If a LB wasn't out there in the Euro Summer, i doubt they'll be available in January.

EDIT: Should add, anyone else that wasn't brought in during the mid-year window won't be brought in now IMO. JK strikes me as someone who would've wanted it done then and if it wasn't, he's happy with what he has. Ings' injury is the only thing making him dip in to the market.
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #35: Nov 06, 2016 09:01:53 am
      If we're top in January we should definitely sign Tino Asprilla.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #36: Nov 06, 2016 08:31:49 pm
      Its a very good dilemma we're in.

January is usually a bad month for good value, good quality players being available - although I seem to recall we got Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho in January windows (anyone confirm?). In general, though, I stand by that statement.

Jürgen will probably be looking at the boys on the bench - he's said before, "Why hire a coach if you don't want to improve the players you've got?" or words to that effect.  We've good players among the subs, and it shouldn't upset the side too much if the odd one comes into the First XI here or there.

Having said all that, should we lose several top players at once to injury (particularly coinciding with the African Cup), then JK might find he has to review the way the team plays if he hasn't bought a couple of high-quality players in January, who he knows can slot into his style.  I think most of us would be looking at LB and possibly the wings. 

If I was a betting man, my money would be on us getting no more than one player, and it'll be someone JK's already coached.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Nov 06, 2016 09:00:49 pm
      I hope a return to form of Ojo would negate any perceived need to buy an attacking player mid-season. The value just isn't there usually.

I do think that defensive cover might not be an awful idea, unless Klopp plans to elevate Sakho or Ilori to more first team opportunities.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38: Nov 06, 2016 09:05:28 pm
      I think we'll sign someone, probably akin to Grujic last winter.
      No value in this window? Agger £6M, Skrtel £6M, Coutinho £8M, Sturridge £12M they are out there. Other than Pulisic (who I think we should move heaven and earth for) and Dahoud (not sure where he plays in this team) the only other big link I've seen has been to a French defender at Lens 19 years old Varane type
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Nov 06, 2016 09:06:16 pm
      I hope a return to form of Ojo would negate any perceived need to buy an attacking player mid-season. The value just isn't there usually.

I do think that defensive cover might not be an awful idea, unless Klopp plans to elevate Sakho or Ilori to more first team opportunities.

Illori is crap and Sakho is on the outer.

Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Lucas is good enough right now, i think. I agree on some cover in defence for the right back spot, though. Unless Jürgen see's TAA as that cover which i don't mind at all.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #40: Nov 06, 2016 09:08:00 pm
      I think we'll sign someone, probably akin to Grujic last winter.
      No value in this window? Agger £6M, Skrtel £6M, Coutinho £8M, Sturridge £12M they are out there

Every one apart from Skrtel. £6m too much in my opinion. A sh*t defender of which mercifully Klopp realised. Got 8 seasons out of Liverpool by basically being the only defender who wasn't injured or intending to retire. Our defence was never good with him in it.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2016 09:09:56 pm
      Every one apart from Skrtel. £6m too much in my opinion. A sh*t defender of which mercifully Klopp realised. Got 8 seasons out of Liverpool by basically being the only defender who wasn't injured or intending to retire. Our defence was never good with him in it.

I agree but he was picked consistently by some good (and not so good) managers and was ok for a bit
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Nov 06, 2016 09:19:48 pm

Pick up a couple of injuries in the attacking areas and we'll be buggered. Klopp might also not want to rely on Ojo after his injury problem last season.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #43: Nov 06, 2016 09:27:49 pm
      Milner has been nothing short of outstanding at left back. If he was a foreign signing we knew nothing about then people would be creaming over him.

It was a master stroke by Klopp and there is absolutely no reason to replace him with a recognised left back.

Also if there wasn't a player available in the summer why would the right fit be available in January?

Also our forward line is looking stronger than any other team, we've got sturridge and origi sat on the bench which says it all. Our midfield is only a selection of 3 players too and we have plenty to occupy those positions.

The only signing I would like to see is maybe a back up right back as if Clyne gets injured we may struggle with only TAA to replace him.

Stay as we are, we couldn't be any higher up the table! Strengthen next summer.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #44: Nov 06, 2016 09:36:02 pm
      Milner has been nothing short of outstanding at left back. If he was a foreign signing we knew nothing about then people would be creaming over him.

It was a master stroke by Klopp and there is absolutely no reason to replace him with a recognised left back.

Also if there wasn't a player available in the summer why would the right fit be available in January?

Also our forward line is looking stronger than any other team, we've got sturridge and origi sat on the bench which says it all. Our midfield is only a selection of 3 players too and we have plenty to occupy those positions.

The only signing I would like to see is maybe a back up right back as if Clyne gets injured we may struggle with only TAA to replace him.

Stay as we are, we couldn't be any higher up the table! Strengthen next summer.

Some good points but for me you strengthen as you go Dahoud for instance might be available in Jan when he wasn't in June do you risk not getting him if you think you can and wait till summer? I don't know for sure but I'd imagine the great Liverpool teams of the past weren't just constructed over a couple months in the summer players would have came and gone throughout the season. Mane going to Africa will be what forces Klopp's hand in my humble opinion
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #45: Nov 06, 2016 09:38:41 pm
      Some good points but for me you strengthen as you go Dahoud for instance might be available in Jan when he wasn't in June do you risk not getting him if you think you can and wait till summer? I don't know for sure but I'd imagine the great Liverpool teams of the past weren't just constructed over a couple months in the summer players would have came and gone throughout the season. Mane going to Africa will be what forces Klopp's hand in my humble opinion

Absolutely, I agree. I think if someone is available then you have to go for them.

We may see some future first team players signed in Jan for sure, I think we will see a largely unchanged starring XI for the remainder of this season.

Good point on Mane too, I fear for January and losing him. He's been outstanding!

Quick Reply