Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 49636 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #345: Jan 22, 2017 01:16:20 pm

100%. I think we need a credible target man to give us a plan B against bus parkers, either off the bench or starting. He's the best one I can think of who plays in England who we'd have a realistic chance of signing. New Zealand is a bit of a football backwater, bit like Australia used to be. I remember us signing a midfield player from there a while ago, via Middlesboro. Bit tasty he was too.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #346: Jan 22, 2017 01:20:39 pm
      Woods and Adama Traore. 25 mill the pair, squad freshened up.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #347: Jan 22, 2017 01:31:52 pm
      4th January window in a row we've not added to the senior squad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #348: Jan 22, 2017 01:53:00 pm
      100%. I think we need a credible target man to give us a plan B against bus parkers, either off the bench or starting. He's the best one I can think of who plays in England who we'd have a realistic chance of signing. New Zealand is a bit of a football backwater, bit like Australia used to be. I remember us signing a midfield player from there a while ago, via Middlesboro. Bit tasty he was too.

You reckon he'd make the step up though Mick?  The history books are littered with strikers getting incredible numbers in the Championship but fail to make any impact once promoted to the PL.  He's been in England since 2009 and had 9 different clubs in that time, that's not exactly the sign of a prolific goalscorer.  Sure he's settled well at Leeds but I've watched them a few times this season and can't say I've noticed him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #349: Jan 22, 2017 02:02:22 pm
      You reckon he'd make the step up though Mick?  The history books are littered with strikers getting incredible numbers in the Championship but fail to make any impact once promoted to the PL.  He's been in England since 2009 and had 9 different clubs in that time, that's not exactly the sign of a prolific goalscorer.  Sure he's settled well at Leeds but I've watched them a few times this season and can't say I've noticed him.

You have to speculate to accumulate and its surely worth taking a risk if it ensures CL next season. At £15 mil its worth a punt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #350: Jan 22, 2017 02:11:14 pm
      You have to speculate to accumulate and its surely worth taking a risk if it ensures CL next season. At £15 mil its worth a punt.

Is it??  How do you know it'll ensure CL or how do you know we won't get it anyway??

We've tried loads of punts in the past, that everyone whinges were a waste of money, time and energy.  I'd prefer we put £15m punts out with the trash and if we have to take a punt do it with someone like Brewster, like scumchester did with Rashford, we might find we actually have answers already at the club.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #351: Jan 22, 2017 02:12:36 pm
      Who should we buy? Chris Wood, striker, Leeds. 6ft 3 inches New Zealander, 25 years old, good in the air, developing and willing. 16 goals in 29 league games this season, about 16 million quid. That'll do for starters.

:roll:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #352: Jan 22, 2017 02:12:44 pm
      Is it??  How do you know it'll ensure CL or how do you know we won't get it anyway??

We've tried loads of punts in the past, that everyone whinges were a waste of money, time and energy.  I'd prefer we put £15m punts out with the trash and if we have to take a punt do it with someone like Brewster, like scumchester did with Rashford, we might find we actually have answers already at the club.

There are no guarantees, but at the moment we are lumping balls into the box with no target man and that will never ever work.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #353: Jan 22, 2017 02:13:24 pm
      Who should we buy? Chris Wood, striker, Leeds. 6ft 3 inches New Zealander, 25 years old, good in the air, developing and willing. 16 goals in 29 league games this season, about 16 million quid. That'll do for starters.

I really really don't think he's the answer.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #354: Jan 22, 2017 02:14:33 pm

I don't know on the step up thing Debs, in truth nobody does. He's kicked around at various different clubs as you say without pulling up trees but looks as if the penny might potentially have dropped with him, it happens sometimes. He may or may not be the best option (there's probably a bloke in France or Spain or Russia who's miles better), but I don't watch those leagues so I'm just sticking with what I have an opinion on.

One thing I think we CAN say for sure is that we have a glaring need for somebody who can give us another option in games like yesterday. I love Sturridge, but even he is similar in many ways to what we already had on the pitch while Origi seems to be a kind of in between striker at the moment (in that he's neither nowt nor summat). I think we need a big lad who will make it impossible or at least very difficult for teams to defend on their own penalty spot while just giving us the ball. One things for sure, if we still had Andy Carroll (and it coincided with one of the months in which he's fit) it would be suicide for teams like Swansea to defend against us like they did yesterday. Similarly if we still had Crouchie (and when I suggested him as a stopgap it was only half tongue in cheek, we need that sort of option IMHO).

Rafa had it spot on in this regard, you need to be able to change it up in some matches, get the job done whichever way you can. He signed Crouch and we should look for a similar option. Wood could be him, put it this way if we'd had him on the bench yesterday would he have got on? I reckon he would.     
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #355: Jan 22, 2017 02:19:11 pm
      Rafa had it spot on in this regard, you need to be able to change it up in some matches, get the job done whichever way you can. He signed Crouch and we should look for a similar option. Wood could be him, put it this way if we'd had him on the bench yesterday would he have got on? I reckon he would.

Hmmm....... a bit like Carrol, Benteke, Aspas, Borini, NGog? 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #356: Jan 22, 2017 02:22:13 pm
      Hmmm....... a bit like Carrol, Benteke, Aspas, Borini, NGog? 

Well I wouldn't count Aspas, Borini and N'gog in the same bracket as the Carrol's, the Benteke's and the Wood's of this world Debs, but anyway. I just think that part of the reason both Chelsea and Spurs break down bus parkers easier is they have more physicality if it is needed, in Costa and Kane respectively. Sometimes you need it IMHO, Wood is simply the only credible and buyable one I can think of off the top of me head! 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #357: Jan 22, 2017 02:27:30 pm
      Well I wouldn't count Aspas, Borini and N'gog in the same bracket as the Carrol's, the Benteke's and the Wood's of this world Debs, but anyway. I just think that part of the reason both Chelsea and Spurs break down bus parkers easier is they have more physicality if it is needed, in Costa and Kane respectively. Sometimes you need it IMHO, Wood is simply the only credible and buyable one I can think of off the top of me head! 

Well none of them made a difference whether they're the same "type" of player or not mate. 

As for spuds and chavs, they beat the bus parkers because they have the best defenses or had you forgotten we scored twice yesterday and have scored several goals this season against other bus parker teams? 

We lost because we couldn't defend, not because we couldn't score.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #358: Jan 22, 2017 02:38:43 pm
      As for spuds and chavs, they beat the bus parkers because they have the best defenses or had you forgotten we scored twice yesterday and have scored several goals this season against other bus parker teams? 

We lost because we couldn't defend, not because we couldn't score.

:lmao:

Amazing this point needs making Debs, people focusing on completely the wrong problem. The problem yesterday was that Swansea managed to score on their only 3 shots on target, 2 of the goals were complete gifts and as Jürgen rightly said the defending was simply not good enough.

So what's the solution, let's go out and buy some big random lad that probably wouldn't fit our style of play just as badly as Benteke or most other target men wouldn't. His development would probably delay the development of our very promising youth players and in truth would be there for the last minutes of a game when all other plans had failed.

That is not a Plan B, that is the last plan in the play book listed under desperate and only then would he prove useful otherwise he'd be sat on his arse just as Benteke was. Even then we have the likes of Matip to throw up top who is aerially dominant, probably more dominant than this lad (I've no idea but I've seen Matip and he's exceptional). They aren't brought in for their skill at this point in the match they are simply there to be hit and any player competent in the air can perform that role, we have choices of Matip, Lovren etc. Not progressive thinking at all, in fact completely at odds with what Jürgen is trying to do here.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #359: Jan 22, 2017 03:03:27 pm
      May not be the worst thing in the world either if Klopp can get something out of him.

.... and so it begins again  :sadlook:

Markovic is F***ing sh*te.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #360: Jan 22, 2017 03:09:23 pm

I'm willing to do that. But Klopp isn't doing that. Instead of giving Ejaria a go its F***ing Can. Instead of playing Ojo he puts Lallana in that position and plays F***ing Can!

The answers may well lie in the second and youth teams but Klopp never gives these players important minutes.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #361: Jan 22, 2017 03:19:35 pm
      Nice debate there mick n debs; throwing up food for thought and both sides with their merits.

With Jürgen not appearing to fancy Danny, Divock anything but prolific  (more a Heskey than a Fowler) and Bobby not your out and out striker; we do look to be lacking depth. So, yes, a new centre forward might be the sensible route.

Debs however makes a fair point regarding the defence. It really has been pish poor at times which, (considering the fact that Jürgen signed two centre backs and a 'keeper and he moved Milner back), is strange.

Back in the day, when we leaked goals, the oft heard call was "sign a defensive coach" - not now tho, not under Jürgen.  Put simply; we now accept, to a certain degree, that great, free flowing, free scoring football comes with a cost, (a trade off if you prefer), of conceding a few. So... where does Jürgen go - another attacker or more defenders?

Of course you'll hear that there's no need to panic; that we will be okay when Sadio and Joel are back and that may well be true. A PoV which ignores two things - 1: the [title] ship may well have sailed by then and 2: we should be always looking to the future and to strengthen anyhow.

It's an 'argument' which has, at its core, the premises that we just accept our lot for yet another season but mark my words there will come a time when that will wear thin.

I don't know the answer or who we should sign but I'm not a scout or the manager. I have to be honest tho and admit I don't buy the notion that they can't find ANYONE who would add to this team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #362: Jan 22, 2017 03:19:39 pm
      I'm willing to do that. But Klopp isn't doing that. Instead of giving Ejaria a go its F***ing Can. Instead of playing Ojo he puts Lallana in that position and plays F***ing Can!

The answers may well lie in the second and youth teams but Klopp never gives these players important minutes.

No he isn't mate but I'm guessing it's because he still has senior options available, the scums didn't when Rashford got dropped into it.  However TAA was used last weekend rather than move Milner over and play Moreno so he is willing to an extent. 

After seeing all the moaning about the young lads when they have played and not shown devestating form, I'm glad he isn't. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #363: Jan 22, 2017 04:07:03 pm
      https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/822805399946596352

Obviously wants to play with Firmino.... make it happen, FSG/Klopp!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #364: Jan 22, 2017 04:11:58 pm

Woods and Adama Traore. 25 mill the pair, squad freshened up.

Crikey what a suggestion.............e ven the much maligned TC must be  :lmao: at that.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #365: Jan 22, 2017 04:20:01 pm

I would splash all the cash we've saved up on him...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #366: Jan 22, 2017 04:20:46 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #367: Jan 22, 2017 04:23:45 pm
      .... and so it begins again  :sadlook:

Markovic is f**king sh*te.

Well yes he is sh*te but at least he has a bit of pace.

We're stuck with him now so might as well see if Klopp can get something from him as a squad player.

Quick Reply