Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 49671 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #368: Jan 22, 2017 04:32:30 pm
      Crikey what a suggestion.............e ven the much maligned TC must be  :lmao: at that.

Nobody can ever accuse me of not putting my neck on the block mate! Just thought I'd suggest a couple after the numerous "there's not a professional footballer in the world who could improve our squad" posts.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #369: Jan 22, 2017 04:34:45 pm
      Well yes he is sh*te but at least he has a bit of pace.

We're stuck with him now so might as well see if Klopp can get something from him as a squad player.

His pace is no use to us because he's sh*t.

Not even a worthy squad player...what's the point keeping someone around because they have a bit of pace? He's utterly useless.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #370: Jan 22, 2017 04:39:21 pm
      No he isn't mate but I'm guessing it's because he still has senior options available, the scums didn't when Rashford got dropped into it.  However TAA was used last weekend rather than move Milner over and play Moreno so he is willing to an extent. 

After seeing all the moaning about the young lads when they have played and not shown devestating form, I'm glad he isn't. 

Yeah but most right minded folk know that putting a starting XI team out of kids will not show us their true ability.

I'd like to see the best few given their chances. Ojo, Woodburn, Ejaria, TAA. Not all in the same game, but with the first team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #371: Jan 22, 2017 04:44:20 pm
      Nobody can ever accuse me of not putting my neck on the block mate! Just thought I'd suggest a couple after the numerous "there's not a professional footballer in the world who could improve our squad" posts.

I'm with you on the can't find the right profile player nonsense but those suggestions! come on big guy you can do better than that.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #372: Jan 22, 2017 04:50:44 pm
      So all our problems are in defence apparently as we are scoring so many goals at the moment and our attack has not been nullified at all. I swear I must be watching a different game at times!
      Whilst I agree our defence should be better the only reason why Swansea started having a go in the second half is because their manager correctly identified that we weren't posing much of a threat so why not gamble a bit more. We only woke up after going 2 goals down, why is that, what the F**k did Klopp say at half time to get the boys so "pumped up" for the second half?? I really would love to be a fly on the wall at some of these half time talks, is he telling them that everything is ok, keep doing what you are doing, take it easy for the first 10 minutes until they are a couple of goals ahead, then show some F***ing passion before gifting them another goal and then doing F**k all in the last 15 minutes?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #373: Jan 22, 2017 04:53:57 pm
      Yeah but most right minded folk know that putting a starting XI team out of kids will not show us their true ability.

I'd like to see the best few given their chances. Ojo, Woodburn, Ejaria, TAA. Not all in the same game, but with the first team.

but but but, wouldn't that mean potentially dropping the German? In that case Nein mein Freund, this is nicht möglich, Can MUST play. I swear that must be how Klopp thinks, there is no other possible excuse. :-)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #374: Jan 22, 2017 04:56:00 pm

And I think we will before the season's out as once again Jürgen will have to make decisions on who's worth keeping and who isn't in the summer.  Those decisions will also determine who's ready to play a prominent role, who still needs time and if we need to recruit in those positions.

He's already said he won't block the path of a youth player who is on the brink of contributing by bringing in outside recruits and it looks like he's already working on a few. 

Woodburn today for example played in the no.8 Lallana role for the u23s and did exceptionally well, as he did when we changed things up against Plymouth after Studge and Cou went off.  He's a very similar player skillset wise, quick feet, good in tight spaces, 2 footed, great passer, protects the ball well, great vision, great intelligence. 

Course he's nowhere near ready to play 50 plus games a season and won't be for 2 or 3 seasons but familiarising him with the role and position now means we have somebody ready to slot in when needed in the future. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #375: Jan 22, 2017 05:08:31 pm

Awesome player, wanted us to sign him before he went to Atletico, clearly has an eye for talent too.

Scored this goal today:

https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/823212901230116865

Not bad!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #376: Jan 22, 2017 06:00:09 pm
      Don't think we've won a league game without Matip or Mane. They are both coming back which is good, but what about if something happens and we lose either again? Shouldn't we have fairly capable backups that limit the talent drop off? I'm no football manager but it seems like common sense to me.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #377: Jan 22, 2017 06:31:09 pm
      I'm a bit surprised people think our issue is all about the defence, and that there's no issue with teams "finding us out" in attack. We'very scored 7 goals in the last 7 games, two of which were against Plymouth, so we're hardly on fire.

I know people like stats, but "goals" (for and against), "points" and "wins" are my favourite columns. My eyes tell me we are struggling, and the stats I take notice of are confirming it.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #378: Jan 22, 2017 06:57:50 pm
      I'm a bit surprised people think our issue is all about the defence, and that there's no issue with teams "finding us out" in attack. We'very scored 7 goals in the last 7 games, two of which were against Plymouth, so we're hardly on fire.

I know people like stats, but "goals" (for and against), "points" and "wins" are my favourite columns. My eyes tell me we are struggling, and the stats I take notice of are confirming it.

Our defence is losing us games mate, scoring 2 at home to bottom of league should see you pick up 3 points...1 at the very least. no one complains.

scored 2 away at sunderland, defence cost us. (actually it was more to do with unintelligent play)

Plymouth games can't really come into the equation because we played kids.

So southampton is the only game really where we lacked any sort of fire power up top.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #379: Jan 22, 2017 08:31:40 pm
      Go on Jürgen you know it makes sense.

https://twitter.com/livecholfc/status/823254921063657473
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #380: Jan 22, 2017 08:32:00 pm
      :lmao:

Amazing this point needs making Debs, people focusing on completely the wrong problem. The problem yesterday was that Swansea managed to score on their only 3 shots on target, 2 of the goals were complete gifts and as Jürgen rightly said the defending was simply not good enough.

So what's the solution, let's go out and buy some big random lad that probably wouldn't fit our style of play just as badly as Benteke or most other target men wouldn't. His development would probably delay the development of our very promising youth players and in truth would be there for the last minutes of a game when all other plans had failed.

That is not a Plan B, that is the last plan in the play book listed under desperate and only then would he prove useful otherwise he'd be sat on his arse just as Benteke was. Even then we have the likes of Matip to throw up top who is aerially dominant, probably more dominant than this lad (I've no idea but I've seen Matip and he's exceptional). They aren't brought in for their skill at this point in the match they are simply there to be hit and any player competent in the air can perform that role, we have choices of Matip, Lovren etc. Not progressive thinking at all, in fact completely at odds with what Jürgen is trying to do here.

We have defensive worries yes, and yes we need more quality players yes, but what upsets me is the apparent lack of urgency and zip to our play at times... Take the Swansea game (but I could name many more) it took going 2-0 down before any real zip and urgency came into our play, as soon as it did we leveled the score. then as soon as both Origi and Sturridge entered the fray we slowed things down again allowing Swansea back into the game... We did this under Rafa,Roy Hodgson, Kenneth Dalglish, and post "Suarez" Brendan Rodgers sides as If the Managers and the team believe that thier team was the Liverpool of old and could score at will...
      Only when we had Suarez we started fast out of the box and would do damage in the first 20 mins or so, now we need a team to score on us early before we take off the hand brake
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #382: Jan 22, 2017 08:40:04 pm
      Just shows how quickly Klopp can make his mind up whether you're in our out.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #383: Jan 22, 2017 08:45:29 pm
      Just shows how quickly Klopp can make his mind up whether you're in our out.

Wish he'd do it with Moreno! That guy has had more opportunities under Klopp than Markovic has and he's been atrocious every time. Not saying Markovic shouldn't go.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #384: Jan 22, 2017 08:53:26 pm
      Wish he'd do it with Moreno! That guy has had more opportunities under Klopp than Markovic has and he's been atrocious every time. Not saying Markovic shouldn't go.

Klopp will wait until summer before getting a recognised LB first then get rid.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #385: Jan 23, 2017 02:56:03 am
      I hope we have learnt our lesson and are now seriously interested in making signings or two. Even if we had to spend a few millions extra to get the players we want, let's just do it. The league is so tight that a point dropped can see 2 teams climb above you. If the new signings help us get CL, all that extra cash spend would mean nothing compared to both the monetary as well as sporting benefits.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #386: Jan 23, 2017 07:05:03 am
      I hope we don't sign anyone.

I mean, imagine making the squad stronger and competing in all competitions. That'd be a joke. I mean we only made a profit in the summer barely, can't remember that being mentioned. I'm sure if we wanted to take a player from a team with less money from a league with less money would could but we won't because they joke is on them.

Liverpool FC is not the kind of club who will over pay for a player they obviously need at a time they obviously need them because we value getting value.

Joke will be on Dortmund and Leverkusen when we return for Pulisic and Brandt, remember how we absolutely did go back in for all those other 'we tried' January lads...

Remember we have this summers 'nailed on' signing of Dahoud to come in this January. I mean he was so massively trailed to the newspapers, surely the club wouldn't have made it seem they had more intention of signing Dahoud than they really did!!

The joke really is on those teams who have ambition, must really suck to be not sh*t. Imagine making a loss on a transfer window but being in contention for a title and your whole squad not falling to bits... what idiots!!

The joke is on Chelsea, only ten points ahead and cruising to the title. Little do they know when we fail to sign Brandt, who was our target, and sign someone shi**er and have waited another year for a league title... we'll have the leaders right where we want them!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #387: Jan 23, 2017 12:53:27 pm
      I hope we don't sign anyone.

I mean, imagine making the squad stronger and competing in all competitions. That'd be a joke. I mean we only made a profit in the summer barely, can't remember that being mentioned. I'm sure if we wanted to take a player from a team with less money from a league with less money would could but we won't because they joke is on them.

Liverpool FC is not the kind of club who will over pay for a player they obviously need at a time they obviously need them because we value getting value.

Joke will be on Dortmund and Leverkusen when we return for Pulisic and Brandt, remember how we absolutely did go back in for all those other 'we tried' January lads...

Remember we have this summers 'nailed on' signing of Dahoud to come in this January. I mean he was so massively trailed to the newspapers, surely the club wouldn't have made it seem they had more intention of signing Dahoud than they really did!!

The joke really is on those teams who have ambition, must really suck to be not sh*t. Imagine making a loss on a transfer window but being in contention for a title and your whole squad not falling to bits... what idiots!!

The joke is on Chelsea, only ten points ahead and cruising to the title. Little do they know when we fail to sign Brandt, who was our target, and sign someone shi**er and have waited another year for a league title... we'll have the leaders right where we want them!!

Except Klopp stated, very clearly that we had not only matched valuations, but had also added a "premium" payment, and the clubs still wouldn't sell.

Kind of bad when the facts get in the way of rants, but there you go.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #388: Jan 23, 2017 01:15:57 pm
      Wood could be him, put it this way if we'd had him on the bench yesterday would he have got on? I reckon he would.

No.

We used Matip for that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #389: Jan 23, 2017 01:26:51 pm
      If January isn't the time to buy, maybe we should have bought more players in the summer.  :f_whistle:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #390: Jan 23, 2017 01:32:37 pm
      Nice debate there mick n debs; throwing up food for thought and both sides with their merits.

With Jürgen not appearing to fancy Danny, Divock anything but prolific  (more a Heskey than a Fowler) and Bobby not your out and out striker; we do look to be lacking depth. So, yes, a new centre forward might be the sensible route.

Debs however makes a fair point regarding the defence. It really has been pish poor at times which, (considering the fact that Jürgen signed two centre backs and a 'keeper and he moved Milner back), is strange.

Back in the day, when we leaked goals, the oft heard call was "sign a defensive coach" - not now tho, not under Jürgen.  Put simply; we now accept, to a certain degree, that great, free flowing, free scoring football comes with a cost, (a trade off if you prefer), of conceding a few. So... where does Jürgen go - another attacker or more defenders?

Of course you'll hear that there's no need to panic; that we will be okay when Sadio and Joel are back and that may well be true. A PoV which ignores two things - 1: the [title] ship may well have sailed by then and 2: we should be always looking to the future and to strengthen anyhow.

It's an 'argument' which has, at its core, the premises that we just accept our lot for yet another season but mark my words there will come a time when that will wear thin.

I don't know the answer or who we should sign but I'm not a scout or the manager. I have to be honest tho and admit I don't buy the notion that they can't find ANYONE who would add to this team.

Good post that.

I wouldn't hammer the fact home that the defense was strengthened in the summer with a new keeper and two CBs; or the fact we're playing Milly at LB (who is doing a fab job BTW - so credit to Jürgen for that); and playing an injured Clyne at RB because our options are so limited.

But you're not giving people enough wriggle room for their squirming.

Quick Reply