Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 50521 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #230: Dec 15, 2016 08:03:07 am
      Yeah that would be a concern but he's only 20 and who knows under the coaching of Jürgen?

We have our own Ojo. Did he not get more assists than Hazard last season?   :D
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #231: Dec 15, 2016 11:23:44 am
      After the way he destroyed Milner Adama Traore might be worth looking at as a Mane replacement during AFCON.

Not for me mate.

Thought he was a useful as a nuns tit, granted I haven't seen much of him this season but based on last night he done nothing to impress me.

Quick as F**k, like sh*t off a shovel, though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #232: Dec 15, 2016 01:47:20 pm
      All he can do is run. He's useless if he can't actually shoot or cross. 0 goals & 0 assists in 11 games.

Yep, I'll pass on him as well. Although I'd like to see him try at for the Cowboys at middle linebacker. (I'm talking about the NFL for you subjects of the crown) ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #233: Dec 15, 2016 01:52:48 pm
      Yep, I'll pass on him as well. Although I'd like to see him try at for the Cowboys at middle linebacker. (I'm talking about the NFL for you subjects of the crown) ;D

I know exactly who you're talking about, I'm a Ravens fan :D.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #234: Dec 15, 2016 02:36:15 pm
      I think the days are gone where we go out and sign an out and out striker, or a recognised winger.

The way Jürgen sets up the team I think our forwards are expected to fit anywhere across the front 3.

It's clear from looking at our bench that we need to sign at least one attacking option with Coutinho out, Mane off to AFCON and Sturridge might as well of disintegrated.

The problem is finding someone decent, who is willing to leave their current club, their club is willing to sell and won't cost the earth because we know the club won't pay it.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see one signing, can't see more than that to be honest.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #235: Dec 15, 2016 03:12:46 pm
      Draxler?

:angel:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #236: Dec 15, 2016 06:13:02 pm
      I think the days are gone where we go out and sign an out and out striker, or a recognised winger.

The way Jürgen sets up the team I think our forwards are expected to fit anywhere across the front 3.

It's clear from looking at our bench that we need to sign at least one attacking option with Coutinho out, Mane off to AFCON and Sturridge might as well of disintegrated.

The problem is finding someone decent, who is willing to leave their current club, their club is willing to sell and won't cost the earth because we know the club won't pay it.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see one signing, can't see more than that to be honest.

Given our recent signings, what makes you say "the club won't pay"?

As far as I can see, Klopp has had money to spend, still has money to spend, and the owners back him when he wants a player, as we've seen by the signings around the £30 million bracket.

The difference with Klopp is that he won't spend for the sake of spending.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,519 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #237: Dec 16, 2016 07:48:32 am

Extremely overrated in my book, struggling to hold down a regular spot in a poor team plus showing some petulant streaks
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #238: Dec 16, 2016 10:02:04 am
      Extremely overrated in my book, struggling to hold down a regular spot in a poor team plus showing some petulant streaks

I'm always skeptical of players that cause issues at their current club when they don't get a move when they want it. However, the point about him struggling to hold down a regular spot isn't exactly true. He's played in 12 out of 16 games this season, 2 of those missed were through injury and the other he was being rested against a lesser team in the cup. The only games he's missed through performance or behaviour is the Bayern game.

I do question his production but I like his overall game play. £30m, that's got to be worth a gamble, surely?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #239: Dec 16, 2016 11:15:11 am

Wijnaldum struggled to hold down a regular spot in one position for a team relegated and Mané was stood down at least once at Southampton for his behaviour.

All about whether they buy in to the manager and his philosophy.

Draxler has all the skills and ability to succeed here and he should be able to fit in to a fluid front 3.

Then again, i don't expect it to be a transfer we go ahead with. Now or in the European summer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #240: Dec 16, 2016 11:42:19 am
      Wijnaldum struggled to hold down a regular spot in one position for a team relegated and Mané was stood down at least once at Southampton for his behaviour.

All about whether they buy in to the manager and his philosophy.

Draxler has all the skills and ability to succeed here and he should be able to fit in to a fluid front 3.

Then again, i don't expect it to be a transfer we go ahead with. Now or in the European summer.

I think he ends up at Arsenal tbh.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #241: Dec 16, 2016 12:58:00 pm
      Given our recent signings, what makes you say "the club won't pay"?

That wasn't a dig at the owners, the January market is hugely inflated, why would they pay?

Alex Teixeira

Konoplyanka

Ben Chilwell (summer signing but we still quibbled over 3m)

Off the top of my head they are players we weren't willing to spend over the odds for (correctly in my opinion) We were pissing about over Konoplyanka for an entire month hence why their chairman wouldn't sign the paperwork.

But January is always spend over the odds month so I'd be surprised if we signed anyone of real first team quality. Unless there's another Suarez out there somewhere that's escaped us all.

I'm not saying we won't spend on good players, but I don't think we'll be splashing big money about in January.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #242: Dec 16, 2016 01:31:26 pm
      That wasn't a dig at the owners, the January market is hugely inflated, why would they pay?

Alex Teixeira

Konoplyanka

Ben Chilwell (summer signing but we still quibbled over 3m)

Off the top of my head they are players we weren't willing to spend over the odds for (correctly in my opinion) We were pissing about over Konoplyanka for an entire month hence why their chairman wouldn't sign the paperwork.

But January is always spend over the odds month so I'd be surprised if we signed anyone of real first team quality. Unless there's another Suarez out there somewhere that's escaped us all.

I'm not saying we won't spend on good players, but I don't think we'll be splashing big money about in January.

I know it wasn't a dig at the owners, I just wanted to understand your reasoning, which is fair enough until you consider we signed both Carroll and Suarez in Jan.
      Of course that's not to say we will do something similar again, but the precedent is there.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #243: Dec 16, 2016 04:07:20 pm
      Lots of talk in these parts that Chelsea are getting Marco Veratti, but probably in the Summer rather than January. Now he IS a player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #244: Dec 16, 2016 05:28:48 pm
      Lots of talk in these parts that Chelsea are getting Marco Veratti, but probably in the Summer rather than January. Now he IS a player.

He's so calm on the ball. I remember watching PSG vs Chelsea in the Champions League a couple of seasons ago and he was just drawing their players in and then offloading the ball so easily.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #245: Dec 17, 2016 05:57:54 pm
      But January is always spend over the odds month so I'd be surprised if we signed anyone of real first team quality.
      The truth reads a bit differently from the myth of course... Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho - £43m the lot.

That said and those three aside; it seems we try to avoid buying reinforcements in January if we can.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #246: Dec 17, 2016 07:35:46 pm
      We're 2nd in the table, why shouldn't we have a real push for the title this year? Chavs are doing well, but could have a bad spell, one or more of the teams round us could go on a winning run, but we're right in there in the mix.

We don't necessarily have to spend big, but if we could bring in 1 or even two potential starting XI players, why not do it? The way Klopp has us playing, there will always be injuries, we'll have Cup matches, things will get stretched, so having that little extra quality available could make a big difference.

An example, just an example, would be to sell Sturridge and bring in another striker. No guarantee a new signing won't get injured, but I'm pretty close to having had enough of Danny's injuries. Him in the treatment room ain't going to help us push for a title. Brilliant on his day no doubt, but way too few of those days. Make no mistake, would love it if he came back a started banging them in, but his window to show he can get back and do that imo is fast running out.

Regarding the keeper situation, if I had the option of signing Joe Hart, I would. Karius needed a rest, would not like to have to bring him back for a while. Leaves Mignolet, who has had one solid game since coming in, but we know that he can be ropey. Hart has massive experience, and can't have turned into a bad keeper overnight.

Just examples.

If the signing that comes in strengthens the squad, it's also a boost for everyone, keeps people on their toes, and it sends a statement that we're going for it. So if we can do it, why not do it?!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #247: Dec 19, 2016 09:31:35 am
      We're 2nd in the table, why shouldn't we have a real push for the title this year?
      You're preaching to the choir buddy but [recent] history tends to show that FSG don't factor that 'we have a great opportunity' in, when it comes to spending.

First with the King - sitting 5th, 2 points off 4th, in 2 cup competitions but raked with injury; who did we sign for the push? 🤔

Then the 'nearly year' - F***ing flying we were. One or two quality additions that January and who knows. Who did we sign? 🤔

Nah... they aren't affected by the football team being in with a chance... not if the books need balancing.  ;)

However, two things: with a minus £9m summer spend (on top of all that TV gold) and the Jürgen factor - we might see another seed change. Football may take precedence for the first time and we may, finally, go for it.

Fingers crossed; eh? 👍
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #248: Dec 19, 2016 10:34:51 am
      You're preaching to the choir buddy but [recent] history tends to show that FSG don't factor that 'we have a great opportunity' in, when it comes to spending.

First with the King - sitting 5th, 2 points off 4th, in 2 cup competitions but raked with injury; who did we sign for the push? 🤔

Then the 'nearly year' - F***ing flying we were. One or two quality additions that January and who knows. Who did we sign? 🤔

Nah... they aren't affected by the football team being in with a chance... not if the books need balancing.  ;)

However, two things: with a minus £9m summer spend (on top of all that TV gold) and the Jürgen factor - we might see another seed change. Football may take precedence for the first time and we may, finally, go for it.

Fingers crossed; eh? 👍

There should be no 'may' about it, we HAVE to buy somebody. We can't keep having a bench that consists of Woodburn being our best attacking option, that's insane.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #249: Dec 19, 2016 01:38:29 pm

Then the 'nearly year' - f**king flying we were. One or two quality additions that January and who knows. Who did we sign? 🤔

Fingers crossed; eh? 👍

Yea, can't argue, not counting any chickens, and Jürgen kept quiet last Jan too, though it was early days for him then.
      But you never know. What's that everyone keeps saying. Believe ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #250: Dec 20, 2016 01:15:05 am

Then the 'nearly year' - f**king flying we were. One or two quality additions that January and who knows. Who did we sign? 🤔

Fingers crossed; eh? 👍

FSG will probably see us as getting Couts and Stugde back in time for the New Year, as 2 new signings!!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #251: Dec 20, 2016 01:23:06 am
      FSG will probably see us as getting Couts and Stugde back in time for the New Year, as 2 new signings!!!

Unlike in previous years, I think they'll 100% back Klopp if he says he needs to sign somebody.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #252: Dec 20, 2016 01:26:40 am
      Unlike in previous years, I think they'll 100% back Klopp if he says he needs to sign somebody.

I'm hoping too mate. Jürgen has their respect.

Quick Reply