Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 49768 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #276: Jan 02, 2017 05:32:08 pm
      Get on the flipping phone Jürgen, pronto.

They still make flip phones ???
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #277: Jan 02, 2017 06:06:30 pm
      I vote against activities. It's simple: Never change a winning team. We have enough quality back-up's.

We didn't win
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #278: Jan 04, 2017 09:11:07 pm
      Juergen has certainly talked down our potential transfer activity when questioned on it by the media but I hope he is simply playing a straight because it's as clear as day that we need a couple more in. We know what Klopp thinks of our frenetic Christmas football schedule and yet he ,axe just one change and played the same side in two games in a 48 hour period. That speaks volumes for his assessment of the squad and the back up players he has available.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #279: Jan 17, 2017 06:03:13 pm
      Only 9.2% of voters wouldn't sign a new player, given the choice.

The noisy minority?   :laugh:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #280: Jan 17, 2017 06:30:58 pm
      We'll probably wait until we sell Coutinho, Sturridge and Sakho before we buy anyone.

Or do people think Klopp will just coach the youngsters if those three go and the 'sell to buy' pendulum tilts towards 'buy' for him?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #281: Jan 17, 2017 06:54:39 pm
      I think we've already seen that when Klopp buys, we don't really know about it till it's almost locked up. I'm guessing he's going to rely on the younger players and the guys that are fit. He doesn't strike me as a buy for buying's sake type and obviously he's got targets he wants and he will wait on them if he can't get them now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #282: Jan 18, 2017 01:58:11 pm
      he's got targets he wants and he will wait on them if he can't get them now.
      How long do you reckon he will wait buddy... one week, one window, two windows or indefinitely maybe?

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #283: Jan 18, 2017 02:19:16 pm
      How long do you reckon he will wait buddy... one week, one window, two windows or indefinitely maybe?

Or until we sell somebody for a sh*t load of money?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #284: Jan 18, 2017 03:15:14 pm

I assume summer is when we'll see more activity. I never thought we'd buy this winter. Just from the words out of his mouth, I could see he was preparing us all for the prospect of no incomings. Now, the reason why there will be no incomings is plenty up for debate. Is it FSG? Is it really Klopp just not wanting to spend on someone that isn't his first choice? Who knows. Honestly I've over it, I just want the team we have to start playing good football again. I'm also over AFCON and injuries and the FA and FIFA and referees and the scum and Chelsea and Spurs, etc......
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #285: Jan 18, 2017 05:03:56 pm
      What's changed since the Ings injury?

Remember this from JK back in November:

Asked directly if this meant he will look to add to his squad in January, Klopp said: ““Yes. We watch the market all the time and we need to be prepared for different situations and one of them is injuries. The African Nations Cup we already knew about so we don’t need to be influenced or surprised, but it could be a moment when we approach the market

Then later in the interview/presser, whatever it was:

Klopp, meanwhile, has reiterated how the appointment of Michael Edwards as Sporting Director will have minimal impact on his role in transfers.

"I will always have the final say," he said.

"If someone isn't happy and asks whose player is this? It will always be my player. I won't be able to blame anyone else."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/04/liverpool-manager-Jürgen-klopp-to-strengthen-squad-in-january-fo/amp/

For me, he has either not been shown anything he wants by the guys who do the scouting things or the money isn't available.

Still time to go I suppose and if we are doing business in this window then none of us can complain about how under wraps it's all being kept.

It's just that when it's all quiet on the rumour front and then the window passes with F**k all happening the collective fume is big and if we are still there or thereabouts in the title race but then get an injury or two and the lack of squad depth does us in, that fume will be off the scale.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #286: Jan 18, 2017 05:28:57 pm
      Klopp said in his facebook live interview on Friday that if there was somebody available for the now that also fitted what he wanted long term that money was there to do what he wanted.

*The things you do in the Winter must make sense for the Summer.

*If there is the "right" player and he is available then for sure I would do it "We are not looking for just anybody" I have a very strong squad.

http://youtu.be/4ZCPDH1Xfng

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #287: Jan 18, 2017 06:03:18 pm
      What's changed since the Ings injury?

Remember this from JK back in November:

Asked directly if this meant he will look to add to his squad in January, Klopp said: ““Yes. We watch the market all the time and we need to be prepared for different situations and one of them is injuries. The African Nations Cup we already knew about so we don’t need to be influenced or surprised, but it could be a moment when we approach the market

Then later in the interview/presser, whatever it was:

Klopp, meanwhile, has reiterated how the appointment of Michael Edwards as Sporting Director will have minimal impact on his role in transfers.

"I will always have the final say," he said.

"If someone isn't happy and asks whose player is this? It will always be my player. I won't be able to blame anyone else."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/04/liverpool-manager-Jürgen-klopp-to-strengthen-squad-in-january-fo/amp/

For me, he has either not been shown anything he wants by the guys who do the scouting things or the money isn't available.

Still time to go I suppose and if we are doing business in this window then none of us can complain about how under wraps it's all being kept.

It's just that when it's all quiet on the rumour front and then the window passes with F**k all happening the collective fume is big and if we are still there or thereabouts in the title race but then get an injury or two and the lack of squad depth does us in, that fume will be off the scale.

Klopp has his own scouting team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #288: Jan 18, 2017 07:13:48 pm
      Klopp has his own scouting team.

Not sure I said that he didn't?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #289: Jan 18, 2017 08:37:19 pm

Oh, really.

I think that was the precursor to a moan about some "committee" or someone who advises or some head scout. Anyone but Klopp

He has money to spend, he has his own scouting system, but such is the gutless nature of so many posters determined to have a moan (not necessarily you btw) but unable to find somewhere to pin their ire, they resort to what they think are subtle digs.

If we don't buy anyone, it's down to Klopp.
      Simple as that.

If you want to slag off someone because we haven't bought any players, grow a pair and point at the person who hasn't bought anyone (for whatever reason), instead of going round the houses and making sh*t up.

This is not directed at you WAHS.
      I find you usually speak your mind.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #290: Jan 18, 2017 08:44:01 pm
      Oh, really.

I think that was the precursor to a moan about some "committee" or someone who advises or some head scout. Anyone but Klopp

He has money to spend, he has his own scouting system, but such is the gutless nature of so many posters determined to have a moan (not necessarily you btw) but unable to find somewhere to pin their ire, they resort to what they think are subtle digs.

If we don't buy anyone, it's down to Klopp.
      Simple as that.

If you want to slag off someone because we haven't bought any players, grow a pair and point at the person who hasn't bought anyone (for whatever reason), instead of going round the houses and making sh*t up.

This is not directed at you WAHS.
      I find you usually speak your mind.

What?

Read the post. It's obvious I have no idea why we haven't signed anybody in January.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #291: Jan 18, 2017 08:50:36 pm
      What?

Read the post. It's obvious I have no idea why we haven't signed anybody in January.

Then be thankful I've enlightened you  ;)

He has money, he has his own scouting team. In fact from what I've read, it's very similar to Rafa's backroom team in structure.
      If we don't sign anyone, it's Klopp's decision.
      That's all.
      It's not as terribly complicated as some would have you believe.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #292: Jan 19, 2017 08:36:23 am
      Klopp said in his facebook live interview on Friday that if there was somebody available for the now that also fitted what he wanted long term...
      Surely that goes without saying tho... obviously a new player would have to fit now or what's the point?  :laugh:

And... if he fits now, he'll fit long term unless we are going to change style after this season.

Joking aside: I'd be very surprised if (in the world of football) there was no one available, not a single player, who would improve this team. ESPECIALLY if, as we are constantly being told, there is a sh*t load of money "available".

My guess is that Jürgen (being the intelligent footballing man, that he is) knows we need to strengthen for the push and he's been trying to. It's just that, for whatever reason, he's had no success... yet.

I mean; I doubt anyone (who isn't a drunken Oirish nutter) actually believes he hasn't been trying: do they?   :laugh: 

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2017 09:06:02 am by bad boy bubby »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #293: Jan 19, 2017 09:24:29 am
      I'm getting really worried about our forwards now.

Ings is out the picture. Sturridge strugggles up front on his own. Origi is and probably always will be a very raw player who is not a natural finisher/goalscorer.

Then we have our first choice in Firmino who agiain isn't a natural goal scorer or finisher.

One thing a really great forward costs is a lot of money. But in my opinion we need it, we might even need a couple.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #294: Jan 19, 2017 10:50:49 am
      I still have no idea why we haven't signed anyone. Not even a credible rumour about quality targets. It's obvious we're struggling as soon as Mane and Couts are out for various reasons. Granted it hits the system and tempo when there are changes, but I'm not convinced by the depth of the squad either.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #295: Jan 19, 2017 01:22:17 pm
      I can only think of one reason if Klopp decide to bring in no one this window, is, he do not want to put unnecessary pressure upon himself as adding more players (especially high profile ones) automatically increasing expectation. I'm surprise a bit if Klopp and the club's boards/owner not interest to try their best to compete for the title given the situation at the end of last year which we're in very strong position unlike the main rivals like the manc clubs.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,275 posts | 2832 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #296: Jan 19, 2017 01:22:18 pm
      Anybody regularly watch Dutch football?

People assume we need to be signing big names to improve our squad, we don't. Take Nicolai Jorgenson at Feyenoord. Could probably get him for around 7 million, a striker with 12 goals and 8 assists this year. 6'3.  Worth a punt?

If it didn't work your down a few quid, but if it does work what might it get us??

Cant stand all this there's nothing out there, there's always something out there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #297: Jan 19, 2017 01:37:15 pm

People assume we need to be signing big names to improve our squad, we don't. Take Nicolai Jorgenson at Feyenoord. Could probably get him for around 7 million, a striker with 12 goals and 8 assists this year. 6'3.  Worth a punt?

If it didn't work your down a few quid, but if it does work what might it get us??

Cant stand all this there's nothing out there, there's always something out there.

I agree there's always something out there, including the occasional gem, but at the end of the day, it's down to Klopp, despite what some would have you think when they go fishing and looking to further their (very strange) agenda.

I'm absolutely, 100% sure he knows what he has better than I do, so I'm not going to second guess him, but I would like to hear from him regarding transfers in this window.

I mean, it's not like everyone just rocks up on 1st Jan, and starts looking at players; the work goes on all year round, so perhaps he has players in mind, but can't get them just yet.
      Who knows?  :confused-smiley-013:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #298: Jan 19, 2017 02:28:53 pm

What's he like Brian?  Is he a Suarez lite? 

Presses and harries like a madman, creates his own scoring opportunities, causes defenses to make mistakes?  If he's that type of player and scoring that many goals then you could be on to something.

If he's a Benteke/Carrol type, big lump up top to aim at then maybe not.

Quick Reply