Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      3 (3.1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      48 (50%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.1%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (6.3%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      5 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (7.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      9 (9.4%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: Nov 23, 2016 04:52:49 pm

Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27630 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Re: Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Nov 19, 2016 04:58:33 pm
      Aside from general quality we missed Lallana's guile today.

I think the United game and today have shown that right now Lallana's our most important player. We don't have anyone in the squad that does what he does IMO.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #300: Nov 19, 2016 04:58:41 pm
      Saints make their fans come out in the pissing rain to watch their team play like that with no intention of entertaining them. Shameful.

Get over it. They play good stuff most weeks but teams aren't going to let us have room in behind them anymore. We have to be good enough to beat it.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #301: Nov 19, 2016 04:59:45 pm
      We most probably spent 3/4 of the time knocking the ball all over the pitch aimlesssly without really trying to break down their defence. These are the type of games that we need a Stevie's type of leadership on the pitch to drive the team pass the finishing line.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #302: Nov 19, 2016 04:59:52 pm
      I think the United game and today have shown that right now Lallana's our most important player. We don't have anyone in the squad that does what he does IMO.
      Might need to do some shopping in January then because we can't afford to not have other options if he gets hurt.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #303: Nov 19, 2016 05:01:09 pm
      Voted Matip for my MOTM.

Also I know people love complaining about Hendo and at times he can be frustrating when you hope he could be a bit more adventurous, but in terms of pressing and anticipation, I think he played a key role in making sure we recovered the ball quickly
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #304: Nov 19, 2016 05:03:39 pm
      Stuttering stream at my end but it looked like we did everything except score.

Unless boro turn into a top team overnight the chavs will go to tomorrow.

If it happens hopefully it will calm us all down because we've shot our load far too early at being top of the league. Everyone, players included need to just play each game as it comes and forget all the hype surrounding us at the moment.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #305: Nov 19, 2016 05:03:47 pm
      Where is s@int?... anyone know?... Do hope that he is ok
      MOTM... Matip
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #306: Nov 19, 2016 05:03:53 pm
      Knew it was gonna be a tough game against a team who only lost to one team at home in 2016. Maybe Klopp could have brought on Sturridge earlier?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #307: Nov 19, 2016 05:04:33 pm
      Not good but not bad either. Next.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #308: Nov 19, 2016 05:04:55 pm
      Performance-wise, I also thought were excellent. Might as well play without a goalie since they didn't even have a sniff at goal.
      No need to panic or stress out after this game. We'll be back on track soon enough.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #309: Nov 19, 2016 05:05:07 pm
      Now we know why we've buying their players. We should trading  with them again soon after seeing how they play today.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #310: Nov 19, 2016 05:05:44 pm
      We most probably spent 3/4 of the time knocking the ball all over the pitch aimlesssly without really trying to break down their defence. These are the type of games that we need a Stevie's type of leadership on the pitch to drive the team pass the finishing line.

That comes with the system Klopp wants to use. Instead of forcing everything, we hold onto the ball and wait for the movement of the ball to draw defenders out of position. Sometimes it can be boring to watch but most of the time it looks quality.

Voted Matip for my MOTM.

Also I know people love complaining about Hendo and at times he can be frustrating when you hope he could be a bit more adventurous, but in terms of pressing and anticipation, I think he played a key role in making sure we recovered the ball quickly

Matip got my vote too. The only problem I have with Hendo is when we really need to go for it with not so long left and he wants to boot it back to the keeper for no reason whatsoever. Other than that I'm good with his performances.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #311: Nov 19, 2016 05:06:25 pm
      On paper you'd think an away draw at a place like St Mary's is a good result but I understand people will be a bit peeved that we didn't win this one. We didn't play that well but we didn't play terribly either for them to look like they could possibly win this. Nothing that worries me here. We had the chances but didn't have the conviction or sharpness to make them pay. Somewhat relieved that we've got this game out of our system so to erase some of the bad habits the players learnt from "football geniuses" like Gareth Southgate and Dutchman Blind.

They played like a small team and they got the result they wanted. Somewhat humoured by Southampton fans claiming hand ball and fouls for hand balls and fouls that were non existent. Kind of your typical Southern attitude but that's understandable given that football's not really their game after all (croquet's their game isn't it?).
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #312: Nov 19, 2016 05:06:26 pm
      Internationals aye...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #313: Nov 19, 2016 05:07:04 pm
      Another clean sheet  :f_tongueincheek:

Overall I thought we were more than decent - just not razor sharp for once.

I'll take that right now as a "a bad day at the office for the rest of the season" standard........
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #314: Nov 19, 2016 05:07:58 pm

Yep, right up there for sure.

FL's grin must be hard to contain, hopefully he looks like the Joker by the end of the season and Adam keeps this form up, he's been exceptional all year and very easy to see we missed that link.

I don't like that midfield of Can/Henderson/Wijnaldum, just don't think it has a nice balance and it's a question for Jürgen if we change formation to get a bit more out of the players we have available if we have to have much time without Lallana.

Although to be fair to those 3 it's very hard to play against that type of defence and they're not naturals at carrying or breaking down a defence, which again adds to the poor balance and puts too much emphasis on the players ahead of them.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #315: Nov 19, 2016 05:08:29 pm
      We would be praising the lads for their efforts if Firmino or Clyne had scored, particularly the former. Goes for an extravagant outside of the boot when a simple side foot would have put this game to bed. Two massive dropped points with City winning and Arsenal drawing.

Had a bad feeling before the game that we may lose but feeling very frustrated now we didn't score. And Sturridge should have been brought on 10 or 15mins before he was. At least we got a clean sheet :)
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #316: Nov 19, 2016 05:09:03 pm
      Knew it was gonna be a tough game against a team who only lost to one team at home in 2016. Maybe Klopp could have brought on Sturridge earlier?

I thought we were playing much better in the second half and created lots of chances, so perhaps Klopp wanted to keep that momentum going.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #317: Nov 19, 2016 05:09:11 pm
      On paper you'd think an away draw at a place like St Mary's is a good result but I understand people will be a bit peeved that we didn't win this one. Didn't play that well but we didn't play terribly either for them to look like they could possibly win this. Nothing that worries me here. We had the chances but didn't have the conviction or sharpness to make them pay.

They played like a small team and they got the result they wanted. Somewhat humoured by Southampton fans claiming hand ball and fouls for hand balls and fouls that were non existent. Kind of your typical Southern attitude but that's understandable given that football's not really their game after all (croquet's their game isn't it?).

Fans of 'small' clubs which aren't in the traditional hotbeds of football are certainly different and this is demonstrated with their neanderthal chants and songs. Southampton's fans today reminded me of Leicester fans who are also in the same category.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #318: Nov 19, 2016 05:12:56 pm
      Yep, right up there for sure.

FL's grin must be hard to contain, hopefully he looks like the Joker by the end of the season and Adam keeps this form up, he's been exceptional all year and very easy to see we missed that link.

I don't like that midfield of Can/Henderson/Wijnaldum, just don't think it has a nice balance and it's a question for Jürgen if we change formation to get a bit more out of the players we have available if we have to have much time without Lallana.

Although to be fair to those 3 it's very hard to play against that type of defence and they're not naturals at carrying or breaking down a defence, which again adds to the poor balance and puts too much emphasis on the players ahead of them.

Probably too big a risk but a fresh partnership of Origi and Sturridge could have posed more problems than playing a woefully undercooked/jet lagged Coutinho and Firmino, the latter who I thought played quite well. I think Studge and Divock worked well together against Spurs in the league cup for us to try it but in fairness to Jürgen, both Coutinho and Firmino had the chances to wrap up the win that justified their selection today.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #319: Nov 19, 2016 05:13:18 pm
      Probably not a valid excuse, but I also thought the heavy rain influenced the fluidity of our play today. A lot of over-hit final passes that could have resulted in good chances.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #320: Nov 19, 2016 05:15:13 pm
      I voted Mane MotM just so I could see who everyone else was voting for.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #321: Nov 19, 2016 05:16:10 pm
      We would be praising the lads for their efforts if Firmino or Clyne had scored, particularly the former. Goes for an extravagant outside of the boot when a simple side foot would have put this game to bed. Two massive dropped points with City winning and Arsenal drawing.

Had a bad feeling before the game that we may lose but feeling very frustrated now we didn't score. And Sturridge should have been brought on 10 or 15mins before he was. At least we got a clean sheet :)

It's not two 'massive points dropped'. They're just points dropped. We won't win every game this season you know. At the very least when you're not quite firing on all cylinders it's important to grab something away from the match. Can't stand this 'woe betide' attitude after a fairly innocuous draw away to Southampton.

Quick Reply