Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      3 (3.1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      48 (50%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.1%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (6.3%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      5 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (7.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      9 (9.4%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: Nov 23, 2016 04:52:49 pm

Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27385 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Nov 21, 2016 01:05:13 pm
      That's when Sturridge and Origi will be knocking on Jurgens door.

Handing in a transfer request.  ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #415: Nov 21, 2016 01:12:13 pm

We've been denying shots on target for so long I'm sure we've reset the clock on that stat for a lot of teams now. I remember discussing it when we'd shown clear improvement without getting the just rewards and back then it was "backheels in the centre circle" or some other flippant dismissal. It's nice that it's now being recognised as brilliant team play and exactly why Jürgen is right in shouting down anyone who tries to discuss our defending as a generalisation and suggest it's poor. Yes from set pieces we have to improve but when we're giving away so few, like against Southampton, then that small part of our game being our weakness is, in relative terms, not too bad.

As Jürgen said, we're a team to stop now, we literally scare managers into the mindset that they have to try to not lose much more than they have to win. The more practise we get against this type of opposition the better we'll get at breaking it down, the truth is that despite their efforts Southampton know they were lucky to get away with a point, most others wont be.

Onwards and upwards.

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #416: Nov 21, 2016 01:52:41 pm
      delighted with the clean sheet, knew we would be not at our best - in the last 10-15 years we would have lost that game every time. The respect they showed us meant they didnt even try to beat us.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #417: Nov 21, 2016 01:58:33 pm
      Truth be told, better finishing and we easily could have won 3-0 (Couts, Bobby and  Clyne). Frustrating to see those chances wasted, we were the only team that ever looked like winning.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #418: Nov 21, 2016 02:50:49 pm
      Handing in a transfer request.  ;)

Ha Ha Ha ...never thought of it like that BB.. Let's hope not eh..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #419: Nov 21, 2016 02:58:40 pm

Still - sh*t defence innit? Why? Because Shearer, Jenas and all those other football geniuses on the tv say so. I totally believe them and not the facts.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #420: Nov 21, 2016 03:48:07 pm
      Two more matches in November, both home, Saturday vs. Sunderland and Tuesday next, League Cup vs. Leeds. the plan is two wins.

Six matches in December, Bournemouth, Everton and Middlesbrough away; West Ham, Stoke City and Man City home. Sixteen out of 18 points would be a good plan there.

Then start off January at Sunderland with the League Cup team vs. Spurs, taking three more points.

We'll be well on our way by then.  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #421: Nov 21, 2016 04:40:36 pm

Odds on favourites for the league with that kind of run mate, I think even 14 points out of the 7 games would see us still top or very close. As long as we don't lose vs City or Spurs and win both our cup games then I'd be delighted in that run to be honest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #422: Nov 21, 2016 04:41:41 pm
      I just rewatched the MOTD highlights and we really were in full control and bar some excellent defending from Southampton and some sloppy finishing from us we would have easily won that game. The only team that is making me a bit nervous at the moment is Chelsea, I'm kind of hoping for Spurs to beat them next weekend to derail them a bit although a draw would be ok as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #423: Nov 21, 2016 06:21:40 pm
      I just rewatched the MOTD highlights and we really were in full control and bar some excellent defending from Southampton and some sloppy finishing from us we would have easily won that game. The only team that is making me a bit nervous at the moment is Chelsea, I'm kind of hoping for Spurs to beat them next weekend to derail them a bit although a draw would be ok as well.

They need Costa to maintain his best for the whole season if they're a chance.

No one is going to stop us. No one is even good enough, yet. Maybe when the Chelsea's and City's go out and spend £200m next season they'll have a shot of winning the league.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #424: Nov 22, 2016 07:56:07 am
      Only Just caught up with highlights of game cant believe the tug on Firminho missed
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #425: Nov 22, 2016 09:53:27 am
      Only Just caught up with highlights of game cant believe the tug on Firminho missed

Outside the box but can't blame the ref, no way he could see it. The linesman should have though.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #426: Nov 24, 2016 09:38:00 am
      Finally caught up with the game.

I've been worried from day 1 of this season that we don't play with a recognised striker. I feared we wouldn't score enough goals.  In recent weeks, I've been completely blown away by the football we've seen and the amount of goals we've been scoring - perhaps I was wrong.

Was Saturday a one off? Maybe we were just a bit sluggish after the international break and as many have already said, Mane & the two Brazilians travelled plenty of miles. Jürgen had little time to prepare for this fixture and it put a dent in our momentum.

Or was Saturday one of the games I feared at the start of the season. If Sturridge had been offered the Firmino chance would we have won 1-0? Who knows.  What I do know is, if I could choose any player in the squad for that chance to fall too, it would be Daniel Sturridge.

I worry that freezing Danny out in the way Jürgen has could cost us points. I believe had he introduced him into the game on Saturday a bit earlier then we might have come home with more than a point. I think Jürgen needs to handle this situation more carefully and start with Danny in certain games, or certainly bring him on much earlier if things aren't going to plan.

Anyway, I think we need to accept this was two points dropped rather than a point gained. They didn't have a shot on target did they? And we had 2 or 3 glorious chances to win it.  Never mind, its gone, Saturday can't come soon enough now - 3 points and hopefully a return to the top of the league.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #427: Nov 24, 2016 11:38:37 am
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Largely down to the work of Coutinho and Firmino...who were not picked for Brazil for that match and had two weeks to work together in training in preparation for the match.

Your efforts to make a 14,000 mile journey (not to mention the travel to Peru) sound like a relaxing sauna are pathetic.

Travelling is part of the job, at club and international level, players must accept that and be able to cope with it. It's been done for the past 80 years, when travel was far less comfortable than first class  flights to and from every single away game. And players managed just fine when they returned then, so they can do so now.

Quote from paulow63
      Let me explain how it works, lets take the Chelsea element of the 3 games stated, we won at Chelsea - great win gives us a net of +3pts, we then drew at home v Man U 0-0 and away at Saints 0-0 2pts in total, Chelsea beat Man U 4-0 and away at Saints 2-0 which gives them 6pts - net +4pts more than us so that +3pts at Chelsea has actually been more than negated by -1pt.

And if you take our trip to Arsenal and their trip, we're three points ahead of them, making it +2 points. Throw in the Swansea trip, and we're a further 2 points ahead. We've also lost less games than they have, and have the home game to come.

We could discuss this argument for months. We had the same discussion about City a few weeks before, and they've been caught since. We'll know in May who won what, where, and when. We played ok at Southampton, and got an ok result. It's not great, it's not a disaster. And it's certainly not a time to panic with still 26 games to go. If we don't win the home game on May bank holiday weekend, then maybe you'll have a point. Until then, enjoy the ride.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #428: Nov 24, 2016 12:03:31 pm
      Finally caught up with the game.

I've been worried from day 1 of this season that we don't play with a recognised striker. I feared we wouldn't score enough goals.  In recent weeks, I've been completely blown away by the football we've seen and the amount of goals we've been scoring - perhaps I was wrong.

Was Saturday a one off? Maybe we were just a bit sluggish after the international break and as many have already said, Mane & the two Brazilians travelled plenty of miles. Jürgen had little time to prepare for this fixture and it put a dent in our momentum.

Or was Saturday one of the games I feared at the start of the season. If Sturridge had been offered the Firmino chance would we have won 1-0? Who knows.  What I do know is, if I could choose any player in the squad for that chance to fall too, it would be Daniel Sturridge.

I worry that freezing Danny out in the way Jürgen has could cost us points. I believe had he introduced him into the game on Saturday a bit earlier then we might have come home with more than a point. I think Jürgen needs to handle this situation more carefully and start with Danny in certain games, or certainly bring him on much earlier if things aren't going to plan.

Anyway, I think we need to accept this was two points dropped rather than a point gained. They didn't have a shot on target did they? And we had 2 or 3 glorious chances to win it.  Never mind, its gone, Saturday can't come soon enough now - 3 points and hopefully a return to the top of the league.

So you think that Jürgen should play Sturridge at the expense of the team then? Because the times Sturridge has started up front on his own we have looked sluggish and lacked the urgency and pressing that the team needs. Now if we were to go to 2 strikers then I think Sturridge has a place in the team as he is a very good conventional striker but that is not the formation or role that Klopp likes and I tend to agree with Jürgen on that considering how we have performed so far this season.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #429: Nov 24, 2016 12:12:31 pm
      So you think that Jürgen should play Sturridge at the expense of the team then? Because the times Sturridge has started up front on his own we have looked sluggish and lacked the urgency and pressing that the team needs. Now if we were to go to 2 strikers then I think Sturridge has a place in the team as he is a very good conventional striker but that is not the formation or role that Klopp likes and I tend to agree with Jürgen on that considering how we have performed so far this season.

Klopp had always favoured having a striker up front at Dortmund. At Liverpool he's changed that to suit our needs, but I wouldn't say playing 2 number 10s and a winger as our forward line is any sort of philosophy of his.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #430: Nov 24, 2016 01:19:22 pm

I disagree. The one game we've looked poor this season was Burnley away. Sturridge played that game, but he was out of position playing on the right for most parts. Every other game we've played whether Danny has featured or not, we've looked good.

I had no problems with the team Jürgen picked on Saturday. My preference would be to drop Coutinho into the middle though (whenever lallana, hendo or Wijnaldum are unfit) and put Sturridge up top which means leaving Can out. I've stated that quite a few times on this forum.

There are certain fixtures, in my opinion, that suit Sturridge more than it would suit Firmino for example. Those games which we dominate and are knocking at the door for 90minutes but just can't put the bloody ball in the net are the type of games you need Danny in.  Saturday became one of those games.  I think Jürgen should have introduced him much earlier and its almost becoming a stubbornness thing with him now.

Quick Reply