Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Are defenders becoming a dying breed.

Read 1267 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Are defenders becoming a dying breed.
      Nov 28, 2016 05:26:55 pm
      I think we've all seen the lack of quality defenders these days compared to the 70's and 80's, and even the 90's, and for me the problem lies in several areas.

First, is the contact aspect of the game. While it might look rough to some, the reality is that the game has moved more and more towards less contact over the last few years. In part this is clubs wanting to protect their assets, but it's also to make the game more exciting by having more flow, more playing space/time.

Second is, I think, the requirement for defenders to be footballers first, defenders second, as managers place more and more emphasis on possession and control from the back, right through to the front, meaning that (in the past) rare creature "the footballing centre back" is no longer a rarity.

Third I think, is coaching, and how players are coached from a young age; now it's about using the ball as much as winning it, and all too often we see players making risky passes instead of just putting the ball in the stand.

Fourth is the emphasis on attack, and playing in the opponents half, and this applies mostly to FB's, but also to CB's. The top teams all want at least one of their CB's to be able to join the attack, and often one FB will tuck into the middle to cover an attacking CB.

When all these things are taken together, it looks very much like less emphasis is given to defending as individuals, and more to defending as a team, with the result that what we see is a lack of individually brilliant defenders, who are now expected to be able to play out of defense, support attacks and lead from the back.

Of course this is not to say there have never been CB's who could also play, more that the emphasis has shifted.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,699 posts | 3715 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Are defenders becoming a dying breed.
      Reply #1: Nov 28, 2016 07:02:03 pm
      Yes, I agree that they are becoming less obvious. The game has changed totally in every aspect from tactics to money.

To be honest, I like the idea of having a good defender and he is a good player as well.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Nov 28, 2016 07:13:22 pm
      The days of the hoofing centre back are long gone and within 10 years I imagine goalkeepers will be the same.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #3: Nov 28, 2016 08:29:44 pm
      Robert Huth and Wes Morgan prove there is a place for yard dogs.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Nov 28, 2016 08:57:38 pm
      Just changing and evolving, much like all the positions on the pitch have.

Quick Reply