Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sunderland?

Loris Karius
      7 (6.1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      4 (3.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (10.4%)
      Emre Can
      4 (3.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      15 (13%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      10 (8.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (1.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      50 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: Nov 30, 2016 04:54:54 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31120 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Nov 27, 2016 06:49:32 pm
      Cheers mate I thought similar to you and then I came on here and saw comments along the lines of the fans were sh*t and the fans were embarrassing , and I thought I must have gone to a different game , anyways thats another three in the bag so its onwards we march to the next one, all the best to you and family for christmas .

Even Jürgen himself said the fans were excellent in the first half and were just starting to get edgy and needed a little 'come on' which they responded to brilliantly.

To be fair Moyes put it right when he said the crowd are right behind Jürgen because they responded to his calls. All good in my book, in fact the way the crowd responded I was delighted and proud of personally. When called upon they were loud and proud, those questioning whether they should need to be called upon may have a slight point but we all get nervous in these types of games the occasional quick slap to snap us out of the trance is nothing to worry about.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #415: Nov 27, 2016 07:00:55 pm
      Even Jürgen himself said the fans were excellent in the first half and were just starting to get edgy and needed a little 'come on' which they responded to brilliantly.

To be fair Moyes put it right when he said the crowd are right behind Jürgen because they responded to his calls. All good in my book, in fact the way the crowd responded I was delighted and proud of personally. When called upon they were loud and proud, those questioning whether they should need to be called upon may have a slight point but we all get nervous in these types of games the occasional quick slap to snap us out of the trance is nothing to worry about.

Brilliant display of passion from Klopp yesterday!

let's not forget how much of a huge loss Lallana has been, and had Coutinho managed to stay on longer I'm sure he would have been the one to break the deadlock, or at very least stick the ball on a silver plater for someone like Firminho to whack one in!  :)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #416: Nov 27, 2016 07:08:24 pm
      F**k you Sunderland and f**k you Moyes.

I bet you that you don't go to Citeh, Chavs, Arsenal or Trafford and play like that you unambitious c**t.

Sucked in, you came away with nothing Moyes, as usual. Hope you cu*ts get relegated.

Onto us....was very frustrating but we knew it was coming, we just hoped it would get in the back of the net and then Origi obliged with a ripper and Milny finished it off as he does from the penalty spot.

Well done lads, a nice win in the end against a Team I have no respect for. Onwards and Upwards.

And breath Aussie! ;D

I thought it was heading down no score draw lane :( but we got the points from what was a long, frustrating Anfield afternoon - just hope we don't see many more like that!

Vamos Redmen!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #417: Nov 27, 2016 07:25:20 pm
      Super 3 pts yesterday :) we maybe left a couple of points behind at SH, so great to get back on track and grind out a win against a dogged Sunderland.

Fair play to Origi, came on as sub and came up trumps with a really important goal. Needed someone to come up with something special, and he did.

Pity to loose Cou, listened to the match on the radio and it made it sound like he went over on the ankle, but looks like he got a belt and given the angle, not sure exactly what he's done. Hopefully though wont be too serious

Hendo continued his good form and Karius continued to show some wobbliness, but got the win, 3 pts, 2nd in table, tis all good :)

Bit of a gap opening up at the top too, serious pace being set, nice to be right in there in the mix...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #418: Nov 27, 2016 09:20:30 pm
      Super 3 pts yesterday :) we maybe left a couple of points behind at SH, so great to get back on track and grind out a win against a dogged Sunderland.

Fair play to Origi, came on as sub and came up trumps with a really important goal. Needed someone to come up with something special, and he did.

Pity to loose Cou, listened to the match on the radio and it made it sound like he went over on the ankle, but looks like he got a belt and given the angle, not sure exactly what he's done. Hopefully though wont be too serious

Hendo continued his good form and Karius continued to show some wobbliness, but got the win, 3 pts, 2nd in table, tis all good :)

Bit of a gap opening up at the top too, serious pace being set, nice to be right in there in the mix...

Hendo had a bad game in my opinion, lot of backwards passes. Karius was superb, much improved.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #419: Nov 28, 2016 01:51:09 am
      Finally seen the whole game, we weren't at our best, but we're relentless in a way the would make Skynet proud.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #420: Nov 28, 2016 03:20:49 am
      Hendo had a bad game in my opinion, lot of backwards passes. Karius was superb, much improved.

Really?

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #421: Nov 28, 2016 07:27:09 am

I thought he had a bad game too can't remember him creating 6 chances so I'd have to watch the match again.

Plus if most of your passes are short one twos with the centre backs you're going to have a high pass completion percentage
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #422: Nov 28, 2016 08:23:35 am
      I thought he had a bad game too can't remember him creating 6 chances so I'd have to watch the match again.

Plus if most of your passes are short one twos with the centre backs you're going to have a high pass completion percentage

That's also my recollection, there were a few good passes and he was good at breaking up play etc, but he seems to have become a bit negative in his play again with short passes back to CB's etc.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #423: Nov 28, 2016 09:14:26 am
      Hendo had a bad game in my opinion, lot of backwards passes.

Wasn't overly amazed by him but the pundits were fawning over him on MOTD.

He did get the second highest number of votes on here - admittedly a long way back - so maybe he played better than us mortals thought.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #424: Nov 28, 2016 09:57:15 am
      Very dominant performance by us in terms of possession. That said, I actually thought Sunderland played well. They showed no attacking initiative at all but I thought they got men behind the ball well and made it very difficult for us. I remember thinking during the game that we weren't going to score. So credit to them, they played as well as they could have for a Sunderland side away from home at Anfield of all places, because lets face it, they are a championship side at best, but Im just thankful we got the goals and the 3 points in the end. We were huffing and puffing for large parts.

Karius - Had very little to do but he was called upon on one maybe two occasions which he dealt with well. One in particular sticks in my mind which was in the first half. Long ball over the top which I thought (haven't seen the replay yet) was a million yards offside but play went on regardless and Karius came out and made himself big and saved it. No idea what he was doing for the goal kick he booted out for a corner though, so embarrassing.

Clyne - Defended well but again didn't have that much to do. He was bombing forward down that right hand side but anichebe tracked him all game to be fair, so he couldn't get into the game much attacking wise.

Matip - Big, solid as always. Thought he brought the ball out of defence well too.

Lovren - Same. Big, strong. Had a screamer that went just wide and was unlucky with a header or two on set pieces. Played well.

Milner - Similar to clyne. Defended well but had little to do all game. Wasn't involved that much either going forward.

Hendo - Im surprised to see some people say he had a bad game, I thought he did ok, and I have been his biggest critic for years. He is playing in a new role this season, as a DM, and I thought he did his job well on Saturday. Its upto the other five attacking players to be creative while Hendo breaks up play and wins the ball back for us. I actually thought he was one of few players who had any urgency about him as well.

Can - The more I see of him, the more I doubt he is good enough to be in our starting 11. A decent squad option, but I don't think he has the quality required to play in our midfield every week. Saturday he saw plenty of the ball but did very little with it or lost possession, im starting to see the same thing each week. I think his strongest position is at the back (his best games for us were playing as a RCB as part of a back three).

Wijnaldum - His movement, energy and work rate goes unnoticed. Needs to offer a bit more on the ball but overall a decent game.

Mane - I thought Mane was terrible. The ball was bouncing off his foot with every touch, he was running the ball out of play at times, losing possession. He was just having one of those games until he went and won the penalty in stoppage time by showing his pace and a bit of skill to skip past the defender.

Firmino - I thought he was motm. He was the one player in the team who looked like he could make something happen.

Origi - Big handful when he came on. Worked hard. Deserved his goal even though I think it was a cross. Played well.

That was a must win game and it was vital we got the three points. 10 clear of the mancs, 6 clear of spurs. Keep going reds. Just hope the Coutinho injury isn't as bad as we think and he's back in the team soon. We aren't the same side without him. 

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #425: Nov 28, 2016 10:45:26 am

I really don't get peoples problem with this, though it does seem to be a problem more for english fans in general. It's the way Klopp has us playing and only Lallana has probably suited his style of play better than Henderson. Lucas was harassed by our our own supporters when playing a similar role under Rafa. Henderson's tracking and covering were top notch against Sunderland, even better was the way he corralled the opposition into areas where we had a numbers advantage. I don't find the side to side passing dull or tedious, you can see the effect it has, drawing out opposition players, freeing space up for our full backs and midfield, it's an almost thankless task, especially as he does have a good range of passing that doesn't get utilised as often as it could, further up the pitch and yet he still creates chances.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #426: Nov 28, 2016 11:39:23 am
      Watching the replay of the game now, at 16.46 first save by Karius was an offside pass and the linesman simply need glasses and it was not even a close call. Luckily Karius saved that or else the bloody linesman may have cost us the game. he evntually went off with a hamstring. ;D. Frustrating watching Wijnaldum, gotto be quicker with his forward pass when their goal is at our mercy. Too slow and allowed their defenders to track back. I'm really impressed with Firminho's work rate. Some nice touches by Woodburn even though he was on the pitch for only 2 to 3 minutes. We didn't play vintage football but good enough to win the game. On another day Firminho and/or Mane would have scored us a goal or two.

Can expect lesser oppositions to deploy similar tactics in future and we must score a goal or two early goal and draw them out of their own half. There's no rule to say the opposition cannot have 11 players behind the ball and the our players must make space for themselves inside the opposition box to score. All in all happy with the win and it's not easy playing against 11 defending their goal.
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2016 08:56:34 pm by redkop63 »
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #427: Nov 28, 2016 01:15:15 pm
      I am so impressed with Matip. Karius had a good game, apart from the shank. Overall very happy...
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #428: Nov 28, 2016 05:49:04 pm
      A game where we had to grind out a result ... which we did

Three more points in the bag, a second consecutive clean sheet

Get past dirty leeds in the cup tomorrow and to the next league challenge v Bournemouth at the weekend
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #429: Nov 28, 2016 05:53:23 pm
      I really don't get peoples problem with this, though it does seem to be a problem more for english fans in general. It's the way Klopp has us playing and only Lallana has probably suited his style of play better than Henderson. Lucas was harassed by our our own supporters when playing a similar role under Rafa. Henderson's tracking and covering were top notch against Sunderland, even better was the way he corralled the opposition into areas where we had a numbers advantage. I don't find the side to side passing dull or tedious, you can see the effect it has, drawing out opposition players, freeing space up for our full backs and midfield, it's an almost thankless task, especially as he does have a good range of passing that doesn't get utilised as often as it could, further up the pitch and yet he still creates chances.

As far as I'm concerned, he's been our best player this season.
      Others may catch the eye more, but without Henderson's work, closing down, and not only ball retention, but also ball circulation, the "flashier" players wouldn't have been half as effective.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #430: Nov 28, 2016 09:35:05 pm
      As far as I'm concerned, he's been our best player this season.
      Others may catch the eye more, but without Henderson's work, closing down, and not only ball retention, but also ball circulation, the "flashier" players wouldn't have been half as effective.

Spot on mate. The amount of recycling he done with the ball (previous to this game as well, from my view), is amazing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #431: Nov 28, 2016 10:14:49 pm
      There's a new 'Inside Anfield' video...

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/244980-inside-anfield-what-you-didn-t-see-during-win-over-sunderland

To watch it you just have to sign up to the website. Not sure why it's any different to previous ones.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #432: Nov 28, 2016 10:55:29 pm
      Highlight of yesterday was meeting with some amazing people before and after the game. Was made up the reds got the win for you Kate! Told ya 2-0 ;) haha

How many back heels did Lovren do yesterday by the way? Thought he was great yesterday.

As much as the loss of little Phil was a downer, bringing on Origi was a big plus for me and he came up with the goods. A player who can potentially cause all sorts of open space for other attacking players for us.

As for the crowd, that was Moyes' intention. Bore our players and our supporters to misery. Klopp saw right through that and that's exactly why he started gesturing to the Main Stand.

Still in love with those three points yesterday.

Yes you were right Kenny :) I absolutely enjoyed the day and the game. Loved meeting all you great people.

Quick Reply