Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you take Pulisic in January?

Yes
      (69.4%)
      No
      (0%)
      Wait until the Summer
      (8.2%)
      Don't know enough about the player
      (22.4%)

Christian Pulisic - Borussia Dortmund

Read 7179 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Christian Pulisic - Borussia Dortmund
      Dec 03, 2016 12:44:21 pm
      As solid a source as any is Melissa Reddy (I'm a poet and I don't know it)

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/805028182982324225

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/805029746350452741

LIVERPOOL WILL MAKE A FIST OF PULISIC PURSUIT DESPITE DORTMUND’S STOP SIGN

Melissa Reddy

The Reds will only consider options next month that featured high on their priority list in the planning for next season, with the young American sensation the top target

Liverpool are expected to reignite their desire to recruit Borussia Dortmund’s Christian Pulisic in the January transfer window, with Jürgen Klopp insisting the club only pursue players in alignment with their long-term strategy.

The 18-year-old was the subject of an ÂŁ11 million offer from the Reds in the summer, with the Bundesliga side firmly batting away their enquiry.

And while Michael Zorc, the sporting director of Klopp’s former club, has advised Liverpool moving for the American “is not worth the effort” as BVB are unwilling sellers, the Merseysiders will nevertheless attempt to navigate a difficult negotiation.

Pulisic checks a key criteria for the Premier League outfit - he would be a target in the summer of 2017 and as such, they would simply be pushing their pursuit forward rather than altering their plans.

Klopp is adamant that Liverpool will not be forced into buying a player because they have to - a thought process shared by sporting director Michael Edwards and owners Fenway Sports Group.

There is an understanding and an acceptance that such an approach may reduce the chances of making a signing next month, but Liverpool are averse to short-termism and want to remain surgical.

Pulisic is target number one, while Bayer Leverkusen’s Julian Brandt has also been under consideration.

Such gifted players are hide to prise away, especially mid-season with neither Bundesliga clubs open to their departures.

FSG are happy to sanction a weighty January spend, with Pulisic expected to fetch in the region of ÂŁ25m, however Klopp is prepared to pull the plug on any deal should discussions get silly.

The manager’s stance has not altered from last year when Liverpool walked away from the Alex Teixeira talks, with the German explaining: “I’ve tried my best, but I don’t think in the short term. I knew when I came here, it was not the easiest way to go, that it would be difficult.

“You can’t just go ‘We have money’, and throw it away and take any players you want. It is always about the decision, you can sign a lot of rubbish with money or you can make really good decisions.

“I cannot say, ‘It is only money going somewhere else’. We have money, but we are not in Disneyland and can say, ‘Come on, take what you want’.”

Klopp is comfortable in knowing his outlook will make business harder in a window that will already be problematic as clubs lose players to the African Nations Cup.

But Liverpool’s stellar start to the season has been built on the unwavering belief in their way, and there will be no departure from the blueprint.

Meanwhile, they are no longer in the market for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Mahmoud Dahoud, with the club feeling the need for his services has dissolved.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016 06:50:24 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Christian Pulisic - Borussia Dortmund
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2016 01:47:55 pm
      I'm a bit biased because I'd love to see an American play at LFC for Klopp but I can only imagine how good this kid could be with Klopp's tutelage. Not to mention selfishly it would help our national team to have him develop under Juergen.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #2: Dec 05, 2016 01:37:30 am
      I'm a bit biased because I'd love to see an American play at LFC for Klopp but I can only imagine how good this kid could be with Klopp's tutelage. Not to mention selfishly it would help our national team to have him develop under Juergen.

Couldn't have said this any better.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3: Dec 05, 2016 02:36:48 pm
      Honestly never seen him play, is he any good?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Dec 05, 2016 02:50:02 pm

Yes, to break through into the Dortmund first team at his age is hugely impressive. From what I've seen (one 90min game and each weeks highlights) he's very much two footed, has strong dribbling skills and an eye for an assist. This season he's been utilised primarily on the right side of BVBs front three.

All in all a excellent prospect and one I'd be excited to see develop under JĂźrgen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5: Dec 05, 2016 03:08:21 pm

Only downside to his game that I've seen is he's a bit of a lightweight, but the last couple games I've watched he seems to be countering that with a bit more aggression.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Dec 06, 2016 09:06:38 am
      I know next best thing to nothing about the kid Dave but I do know "any" and "Reddy" don't rhyme 😛😜
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Dec 06, 2016 10:37:40 am
      Only downside to his game that I've seen is he's a bit of a lightweight, but the last couple games I've watched he seems to be countering that with a bit more aggression.

Lightweight we can fix, skill, technique and game intelligence are the main factors and it seems this lad has all three.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #8: Dec 06, 2016 11:57:33 am
      Lightweight we can fix, skill, technique and game intelligence are the main factors and it seems this lad has all three.

Sounds like Suso...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #9: Dec 06, 2016 12:00:28 pm

This lad is much quicker than Suso a major plus in the EPL.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #10: Dec 06, 2016 09:59:59 pm

This lad is much quicker than Suso a major plus in the EPL.

And a much better attitude than Suso.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Dec 06, 2016 10:44:08 pm
      Lightweight? He's 17 FFS.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: Dec 06, 2016 10:50:37 pm

I've just checked his Wiki as I didn't know this.

He was born in 1998.

I'm F***ing done. 1998.

For F**k's sake.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2016 12:35:37 am

He is, but being 17 doesn't make him not lightweight :D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Dec 08, 2016 04:44:44 pm
      He is on course to be a top continental player, and another top forward prior to managing a European match-load next season should be a priority. Not sure getting him for the 2nd half of this season is such a priority, particularly at an inflated price, and with Ojo looking close to returning as well.

But I can see this being driven by FSG as Pulisic is the most promising American player we've seen by a wide margin. There have been other promising talents in the past but none have delivered, albeit in a small window, at anywhere near the level he has, scoring goals in the Champions League, Bundesliga, etc. He is already followed closely by TV networks that cover football so getting him at the club they own would be a big bonus for FSG. I don't see why Klopp would oppose the idea given his own background with the player and the fact that he has turned some heads among top clubs.

Saying all of that, Dortmund are still in Europe and they probably mean it when they say they have no intention of selling him in January. We could change that with a ridiculous offer, but I think that would be a mistake on our part. Wait until the summer and then see.

I noticed at the end of that article that Dahoud is no longer a target. Klopp and team saw him play vs. Barca this week in a 4-0 loss. I've seen him three times this season and he's been pretty invisible each time. Neither he nor Zielinski would have added much to our efforts, as it turns out.

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #15: Dec 08, 2016 05:38:18 pm
      How well did he play against Madrid?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2016 05:53:41 pm
      How well did he play against Madrid?

Didn't really stand out but there again did nothing poorly.

It's a bit unfair on any player and esp one that's 17 to make a judgement after 1 game and that was against Real.

What did stand out was if Dortmund had anybody better than Castro they would have won at a canter.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2016 07:59:11 pm
      Emre mor looks a better option to me
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2016 08:21:57 pm
      Emre mor looks a better option to me

No chance of that happening, they've only just bought him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Dec 09, 2016 02:48:18 pm
      Didn't really stand out but there again did nothing poorly.

It's a bit unfair on any player and esp one that's 17 to make a judgement after 1 game and that was against Real.

What did stand out was if Dortmund had anybody better than Castro they would have won at a canter.

I agree with all of this. I would only add just that his being thrown on in a match like this tells you something about what they think of him. His energy level would fit in well with our style as well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Dec 09, 2016 07:53:36 pm
      He is on course to be a top continental player
      His energy level would fit in well with our style as well.
      First off: thanks for the info, on a player I don't know Robby, much appreciated.

Genuine question tho': given that ^^^ high praise - why do you think it would be a mistake to pay big, for him, in January: surely (if he's that good) he won't be any cheaper come the summer?
      (To be clear here; I'm assuming he'll be much sought after.) 😎

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Dec 09, 2016 11:50:50 pm
      First off: thanks for the info, on a player I don't know Robby, much appreciated.

Genuine question tho': given that ^^^ high praise - why do you think it would be a mistake to pay big, for him, in January: surely (if he's that good) he won't be any cheaper come the summer?
      (To be clear here; I'm assuming he'll be much sought after.) 😎

Fair question. I guess I'm operating under the belief that players are always more expensive in January than they are in the summer, because they often have some kind of "emergency" stigma" attached to them such as "needed to complete a title effort" or conversely "to lose him would greatly impact our current campaign."

If in fact, he would be just as expensive in the summer, then by all means we should go ahead and do it because he will become more coveted, as you mention.

I also suspect I have a slight doubt remaining about ownership's willingness to spend top dollar in a bidding war. I get not doing it for someone who only somewhat fits in to the overall plan, but I hope that for someone identified as a big part of future plans, money would actually be no object. I've heard this said, but it may be that this player will be the best test case (we spent on Gini and Mane, but we weren't really in a bidding war for either of them, I think we would be for Pulisic) as to how far we are willing to go for a top player who fits into the system/plan.

I like that our transfer policy  under Klopp isn't to buy willy-nilly, because he is thinking about what the team will actually be like once the players we buy come here. Some clubs who have money clearly haven't thought that far ahead. BUT, I would never want that to become a cover by ownership for simply not being financially committed to the manager's plan. I think they are, mind, but this may be an opportunity to remove all doubt.

BTW, when I say "top continental player" I mean a leading figure at one of the better clubs i. European football.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2017 10:54:06 pm
      Think if Dortmund were persuaded by firstly an inflated fee. Secondly the players wish to move, thirdly he fits into Klopps LONG term plans, I then think FSG would sanction it, just to have a top American talent at their club !
      Let's do it now, too many other clubs will just jump in front of us as we drag our feet, again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2017 10:57:20 pm
      Think if Dortmund were persuaded by firstly an inflated fee. Secondly the players wish to move, thirdly he fits into Klopps LONG term plans, I then think FSG would sanction it, just to have a top American talent at their club !
      Let's do it now, too many other clubs will just jump in front of us as we drag our feet, again.

The only stumbling block that I can think of is Dortmund lack of interest in selling him and I don't blame them, why would they want to sell him? Especially at this time of year.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2017 10:59:42 pm
      The only stumbling block that I can think of is Dortmund lack of interest in selling him and I don't blame them, why would they want to sell him? Especially at this time of year.

No way they sell him this window, German clubs don't operate that way.

Kopite78
      Reply #25: Jan 05, 2017 09:36:20 am

It doesn't sound like they will, but he only has 18 months left on his contract,  12 by the time the summer comes

So you could argue that it's window may be the last window they could get absolute maximum transfer value. . Maybe they are holding out for that?

I'd guess it won't happen but a big offer could get it over the line
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #26: Jan 05, 2017 11:21:00 am
      Didnt he feature in the UCL breakthrough team of 2016? Cant see them letting him go this month. However, with Dortmund blowing hot and cold in the league plus our potential CL qualification next season, things might work in our favor if we submit a sizeable offer, esp if he doesnt sign a new deal until the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #27: Jan 05, 2017 04:50:06 pm
      I see this thread bubble up and think there's something new been posted.   :mad:

And now I've done the same thing  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Quick Reply