Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Steve McManaman

Read 4016 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Steve McManaman
      Dec 04, 2016 06:54:15 am
      Whatever you think of him now he is one of the most exciting players I've seen at Liverpool in my 37 years. Phenomenal to watch and had a great career.

Interesting interview (part 1) on the Graham Hunter podcast here:

http://media.acast.com/thebiginterviewwithgrahamhunter/stevemcmanaman-elsociodeltodos/media.mp3
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Steve McManaman
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2016 08:49:51 am
      Steve was a fantastic player but just like Micky Owen he run his contract down,the only difference between Micky and Steve was 8 million quid.We never got a penny for Steve from Real Madrid.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2016 09:16:22 am
      Steve was a fantastic player but just like Micky Owen he run his contract down,the only difference between Micky and Steve was 8 million quid.We never got a penny for Steve from Real Madrid.

Does stick in the throat Billy and tarnishes the memory of a player who gave his all for LFC during his playing days.
      ........and then there is Micky gobs***e Owen.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2016 10:18:35 am
      There's always another way to view these things though,  I remember being pissed off when Macca left but not really to do with the money more that he was great... It did stick a bit that we had money on the table the year before but he didn't fancy that move (Barca) but then you hear from the lad himself and his Mam died that year before he left, she was really ill through it and he wanted a fresh start away from the city and wanted to go abroad as he wouldn't have wanted to play against Liverpool at that point.

Now I just remember him for the things he did and the memories of great wins him and Robbie gave us, plus that league cup final performance in 95

Owen is a slightly different character but I soften to him having read from him that he wanted to try Madrid but only wanted to come back to us, he asked Perez to sort a move to us but Newcastle blew us out the water price wise and when he went there he had it written in his Newcastle contract he could leave for us for an agreed fee  that reduced each year money wise but we never activated it through different circumstances
      The Utd move has tainted him for me but whatever.

We're bigger than any idividual player and now I just think back at the good memories they gave me

Macca was worldy though,  absolutely boss
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2016 10:27:25 am
      There's always another way to view these things though,  I remember being pissed off when Macca left but not really to do with the money more that he was great... It did stick a bit that we had money on the table the year before but he didn't fancy that move (Barca) but then you hear from the lad himself and his Mam died that year before he left, she was really ill through it and he wanted a fresh start away from the city and wanted to go abroad as he wouldn't have wanted to play against Liverpool at that point.

Now I just remember him for the things he did and the memories of great wins him and Robbie gave us, plus that league cup final performance in 95

Owen is a slightly different character but I soften to him having read from him that he wanted to try Madrid but only wanted to come back to us, he asked Perez to sort a move to us but Newcastle blew us out the water price wise and when he went there he had it written in his Newcastle contract he could leave for us for an agreed fee  that reduced each year money wise but we never activated it through different circumstances
      The Utd move has tainted him for me but whatever.

We're bigger than any idividual player and now I just think back at the good memories they gave me

Macca was worldy though,  absolutely boss

The Karma message was meant to say 'good post mate'.

Far too mature a post that.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2016 10:58:45 am
      I can vaguely remember Macca, I was a bit young (born '92) but I don't think you can blame him for going to Madrid when you look at what he achieved there.

Not that I really care but I never really understood why him and Robbie were ignored in the main by various England managers either, two of the best English players on their respective roles of the last 30 years and both continually overlooked.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2016 11:14:09 am
      For all that he did wrong in letting his contract run down to leave, he at least knows where his heart lies, unlike the medal thief. 

He's back in the fold now, doing great work at the Academy alongside God and Rob Jones.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2016 11:36:38 am
      Phenomenal player for us...

'Shaggy'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEAUYu8tnw
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2016 12:04:24 pm

Wrong, the main difference is one done the unthinkable and went to the Mancs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2016 12:33:39 pm
      McManaman was a superb player and whilst I was annoyed at the time that he ran his contract down I have come to forgive him, whereas Michael Owen playing for Manure will always tarnish him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Dec 24, 2016 12:41:56 am
      Why do the media constantly persieve him as some kind of Liverpool darling when he left the club for a tenth of his value and hung us out to dry in terms of money?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Dec 24, 2016 07:05:39 am
      Why do the media constantly persieve him as some kind of Liverpool darling when he left the club for a tenth of his value and hung us out to dry in terms of money?

Possibly because he still works for the club mate.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Dec 24, 2016 07:12:42 am
      I remember the banter with the utd fans, who was better Macca or Giggs?
      Wasn't even a competition in my opinion. McManaman was far superior in every aspect.
      I was gutted when he left, and the way he left left a bitter taste in my mouth. I've mellowed in my dislike of him over the years, due to the fact that he still openly supports us, unlike Owen who is up the Mancs ass half the time.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #13: Dec 24, 2016 09:30:31 am
      I remember the banter with the utd fans, who was better Macca or Giggs?
      Wasn't even a competition in my opinion. McManaman was far superior in every aspect.
      I was gutted when he left, and the way he left left a bitter taste in my mouth. I've mellowed in my dislike of him over the years, due to the fact that he still openly supports us, unlike Owen who is up the Mancs ass half the time.

I thought he was a blue? I saw him in town once after we beat Bolton on New Years Day (Peter Crouch's overhead kick!) he was with God ( who played aswell that day) and the mancs were playing Newcastle. I remember him celebrating when they scored!

Anyway, I was gutted when he left and still am to a point. But, like yourself I have mellowed over time and he seems like a good bloke.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Dec 24, 2016 09:35:12 am
      Possibly because he still works for the club mate.

Makes sense Debs. Still not a "legend" in my eyes because of what he done.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Dec 24, 2016 12:44:09 pm
      Makes sense Debs. Still not a "legend" in my eyes because of what he done.

I agree mate but I appreciate what he's doing at the academy now.

Quick Reply