Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

You're Sacked! The managerial UB40 thread.

Read 65743 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Re: You're Sacked! The managerial UB40 thread.
      Reply #322: Jan 16, 2024 09:35:05 am
      Been an irrelevance for a long time now
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #323: Jan 16, 2024 09:42:47 am
      Maureen has been sacked from Roma, Newcastle fans are rubbing their hands now I guess.

I actually think they wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club - he is toxic , they want Howe and for him to stay

Maureen will end up in Saudi
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #324: Jan 16, 2024 10:04:01 am
      Maureen has been sacked from Roma, Newcastle fans are rubbing their hands now I guess.

Seems like just the type of appointment the Saudi's would make.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #325: Jan 16, 2024 10:39:09 am
      Needs to retire does the original chequebook manager .... if his ego will let him.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #326: Jan 16, 2024 12:10:42 pm
      Still got a few club projects in him I suspect. If offered Newcastle he'd take it, other than that possibly PSG, then back to Porto before a couple of pre retirement tournaments with the Portuguese national side.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #327: Jan 16, 2024 12:12:26 pm
      Seems like just the type of appointment the Saudi's would make.

Sort of ignorant move they'd make.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #328: Jan 16, 2024 01:39:02 pm

Can just see Stavely standing beside him now with that weird grin.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #329: Jan 16, 2024 01:46:23 pm
      I guess I'm in the minority who doesn't mind Jose. He's a character and he's won in the past. When he isn't in the Premier League he's a lot of fun to watch.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #330: Jan 16, 2024 02:34:53 pm
      Maureen is an embarrassment for any club - his antics on the sideline are no longer amusing and I certainly wouldn’t want to see him within the club and can’t see Newcastle fans wanting him

He is a cheque book manager and not a good one anymore

Perfect for Saudi League
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #331: Jan 16, 2024 03:50:10 pm
      His career has been on a downward trajectory for a very long time --must be 10 years or so since he last won a league title. Without silly money he has rarely had success and his style of play is now way out of date. He's a tedious, odious little man who has been steadily reduced to managing in second and third rate competitions. Seem to recall he used vitriolic abuse to berate that ref in the car park who was then attacked at the airport. Disgraceful character IMO.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #332: Jan 16, 2024 03:56:13 pm
      His career has been on a downward trajectory for a very long time --must be 10 years or so since he last won a league title. Without silly money he has rarely had success and his style of play is now way out of date. He's a tedious, odious little man who has been steadily reduced to managing in second and third rate competitions. Seem to recall he used vitriolic abuse to berate that ref in the car park who was then attacked at the airport. Disgraceful character IMO.

Aye vermin. One trick pony who peaked in the mid to late naughties. Only ever did anything when he had a blank chequebook. Last claim to fame was his flukey 2-0 win to deny us the title.

Sacked more times than trophies won these days. Pitiful little man who I've zero respect for.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #333: Jan 16, 2024 05:21:53 pm
      Still a better manager than Pep IMO - he's gone and won a CL with Porto which is an achievement that Pep wouldn't be able to do.

Klopp clear of both of course!
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #334: Jan 16, 2024 05:50:31 pm
      Still a better manager than Pep IMO - he's gone and won a CL with Porto which is an achievement that Pep wouldn't be able to do.

Klopp clear of both of course!

Not for me. Can't stand fraudiola but he's a better manager than mourinho. His teams play much better football too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #335: Jan 16, 2024 06:17:34 pm
      There definitely is a solid argument that Mourinho has proven successful in more challenging scenarios than Guardiola.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #336: Jan 16, 2024 07:02:15 pm

More reason for Eddie to grimace :laugh:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #337: Jan 16, 2024 07:28:18 pm
      Maureen is an embarrassment for any club - his antics on the sideline are no longer amusing and I certainly wouldn’t want to see him within the club and can’t see Newcastle fans wanting him

He is a cheque book manager and not a good one anymore

Perfect for Saudi League

Funny I actually do see the Newcastle fans wanting someone like him.

They always struck me as a fanbase easily placated by big names and Mourinho is still a big name.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #338: Jan 16, 2024 07:30:19 pm
      Funny I actually do see the Newcastle fans wanting someone like him.

They always struck me as a fanbase easily placated by big names and Mourinho is still a big name.

They are also very much in preference for attacking football and entertainment- two things that Maureen doesn’t have a clue about
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #339: Jan 16, 2024 08:37:43 pm
      There definitely is a solid argument that Mourinho has proven successful in more challenging scenarios than Guardiola.

I mostly agree with this. He achieved a lot at Porto and the first few years at Chelsea. But that was a long time ago, his style of play is outdated. More importantly, his teams are bland and very dull to watch, Guardiola teams are much more entertaining.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #340: Jan 16, 2024 08:52:17 pm
      I mostly agree with this. He achieved a lot at Porto and the first few years at Chelsea. But that was a long time ago, his style of play is outdated. More importantly, his teams are bland and very dull to watch, Guardiola teams are much more entertaining.

Agree that most of his achievements were quite a while ago but still he had those achievements with smaller teams like Porto and European success with Inter in an era when only English, Spanish and Bayern were winning the European Cup.

Guardiola is a great coach no question but has never really tested himself as had the best team in the country in each of his three jobs
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #341: Jan 16, 2024 09:14:05 pm
      Not for me. Can't stand fraudiola but he's a better manager than mourinho. His teams play much better football too.

Playing the better football maybe but in his three jobs Guardiola has had the pick of the best players and most of the money , I’d hazard a guess that given Klopps resources he’d be a million miles from what Klopp has done , , don’t ever see him dropping down to a lesser big name club and winning what Maureen has
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #342: Jan 29, 2024 04:17:16 pm
      Darren Moore sacked by Huddersfield about four months after taking charge.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #343: Feb 19, 2024 08:33:32 pm
      Looks like Hodgson has fallen on his sword at Palace rather than being sacked.
      No surprise in him going, but all in all quite farcical.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #344: Feb 20, 2024 07:36:02 am
      Looks like Hodgson has fallen on his sword at Palace rather than being sacked.
      No surprise in him going, but all in all quite farcical.

It's an unfortunate ending for a long career. He was not in the group of elite managers and his style of play wasn't right for top level football at Liverpool, Inter, England and even Blackburn.
      But he appears to be a nice man and was a successful manager at mid-table teams like Palace and Fulham.

I hope he can relax and enjoy his retirement and does not get tempted back if Palace are in the sh*t next Feb/March.

Quick Reply