Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      16 (13.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      James Milner
      16 (13.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      63 (51.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (18.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Jan 04, 2017 07:26:01 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21419 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Jan 01, 2017 08:01:59 pm
      Massive result that.

We weren't at our best going forward, but we ground out a 1-0 against a side with a lot of attacking options, and basically restricted them to F**k all in terms of good chances. Really good defensive performance. Only 1 goal conceded in the last 4 games, so we look like we are getting that jittery defending out of our system.

MOTM? Could be Klavan - picked up a yellow early on through no fault of his own, but never missed a beat afterwards. Really like him.
      Lallana was good again. Going for Wijnaldum though. Great header and good all round performance.

Also have to say Mignolet seems to have been working on his kicking. His distribution was very good. Even that wee flick over Aguerro ( I think) was pretty composed. Interesting choice for Jürgen as to whether to bring in another goalie in the window.

The trick now is to follow it up against Sunderland. I fancy Chelsea to slip up at some point, so if we keep on their heels we have a real chance of the title.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #461: Jan 01, 2017 08:24:25 pm
      Jesus wept, show some positivity will you!!

"ultimately this team will come up short." "the flaws in our team now will cost us this season." Might as well give the title to Chelsea, give the league cup to Man United or Southampton and the FA Cup to whoever else wants it eh? Get a grip.

Hand this to them or that to those ? What on earth are you going on about?  I'm pointing out flaws ( IMO ) in our team . Just because i'm not convinced , doesn't mean you don't have to be . It's not all bad , look at the table.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #462: Jan 01, 2017 08:25:46 pm
      The result was great but what a turgid performance. Awful passing , no incisive attacking play ( apart from the goal ) a couple of players not turning up , letting city back into the game .

Can seems to think he has all the time in the world on the ball  and Clyne was poor again once in possession . We still need a couple of class signings to take the team forward. The midfield is still not a force.

Still , look at the table and it's not too bad but let's not get carried away. Ultimately this team will come up short so it's what we do in the summer that will determine a league win next season. We are still making progress but the flaws in our team now will cost us this season.

Do one soft lad
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #463: Jan 01, 2017 08:27:31 pm
      Have you nothing better to be doing on new year?

Fact is we either beat your shower a few weeks back in the last minite or we knocked you out of Europe last season.

This is a good team under a great manager. Heres to more years of your futile wummery.
      Who's this " your shower " your talking about?  You're paranoid mate and lacking an obvious ability to be objective. Bet your one of our " True fans " aren't you?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #464: Jan 01, 2017 08:32:41 pm
      You're a proper f**king loser you like.

Well obviously Willy , cos if you say it , it must be true. You won't mind explaining why though would you?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #465: Jan 01, 2017 08:39:38 pm

Well that has well and truly put me in my place. I have to admit that i had never looked at it like that. Your articulate and in-depth riposte , has made me look at this season in a whole different light. You sir are one of the forums true deep thinkers.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #466: Jan 01, 2017 08:43:26 pm
      Well that has well and truly put me in my place. I have to admit that i had never looked at it like that. Your articulate and in-depth riposte , has made me look at this season in a whole different light. You sir are one of the forums true deep thinkers.

After reading your review of yesterday's match there was no way I could compete with your obvious superior intellect so I just said a load of bollocks......oh no wait that was you, for you sir are one of the forums true gobshites!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #467: Jan 01, 2017 08:52:00 pm
      What a result. I think that can be a blueprint for some of our more testing games for the rest of the season. We let them dictate the tempo, we didnt press as much, we didnt run as much, we let their weaker players i.e. Centre Halves have the ball, we were clinical in most parts, we defended perfectly and 15 yards outside our box under pressure, our MF won most battles and finally we wanted it so much more.

Probably only shattered our players 50% of what they normally would be too.

Poor passing was my only downfall. Some shocking 10yard passes x 10-15 times could have cost us dearly on a different day.

Lallanas cross was absolute mesmerable. Hes not left footed lads. His technique actually looks some what awkward but he is so good in possession, 2 footed and a workhorce. Quickly becoming my player of the season. Fair play migs.... I dont buy into this defence or keeper crisis that people are bandying around. The facts dont lie... room for improvement? Absolutely! a confident migs is class.... hes just prone to the odd blunders... looks much more assured of late with a more confident back 4 infront of him... Sorry but Skrtel probably pronounced any issue Migs had x 10.

Happy days..... hopefully we do the same again the next 19 games... would take 86 points now I know that.... will it be enough?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #468: Jan 01, 2017 09:11:13 pm
      After reading your review of yesterday's match there was no way I could compete with your obvious superior intellect so I just said a load of bollocks......oh no wait that was you, for you sir are one of the forums true gobshites!
      Got to say Jed , lazy insults and vague presumptions will endear you to many of the forums  " True supporters " but sometimes it's just easier to call me a  " slimy c**t " when  + chasing.  I'm still dying to await your actual point ( if you have one ) to your flippant anger to my post.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #469: Jan 01, 2017 09:50:57 pm
      Happy New Everyone, glad we're still full of season joy and good will to all men, and women. 

Stop the name calling please, as my cat has just farted, and it ain't good, so I'm not in the best of moods.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #470: Jan 01, 2017 10:13:46 pm
      I'm still recovering from this game, what a truly boss win this was, absolutely brilliant and well fought right to the very end, always knew this was gonna be a tough game, but we composed ourselves magnificently especially in the second half when they had a real proper go at us, being one down, they had to though didn't they.

We held firm and shows the difference between a Klopp team now and a klopp team when he first took over last October....I'm loving every minute of our games, yes, even the few we've lost, because it proves we're human.

Coming out of Anfield at the end of the game last night where fans were still singing around the concourse felt like the good old days of yesteryear, this could just take me all the way back to 1990  ;)

Fantastic to see us up there as we turn into 2017 and a New Year, god bless you all.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #471: Jan 01, 2017 10:22:46 pm
      Happy New Everyone, glad we're still full of season joy and good will to all men, and women. 

Stop the name calling please, as my cat has just farted, and it ain't good, so I'm not in the best of moods.
      Never thought you were a cat person. Still , good to see you cracking down on the abuse.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #472: Jan 02, 2017 12:44:10 am
      A very good solid performance from the lads everyone ran non-stop and competed well. Absolutely nothing to complain. City is no mugs they are still a class act and don't expect us to walk all over them. In many ways, the tactics deployed by Klopp worked and Silva pretty anonymous the whole game. Let's not only look at the negatives, we sat back because we can't go gung-ho attacking them and let them hit us on the counter where they're more than capable of doing so. More so with Sterling in the team and he would run that extra second faster that could hurt us and he ended up pretty frustrated as Milner did a good job.

Watched the whole game again and we neutralised them in midfield and they could only knock the ball around outside our box. Hence, let's not knock our midfielders too much they ran that extra mile. Klavan is silently doing a good job, his positioning gave him the edge and he is the first to every incoming crosses, passes etc, this is clever anticipation and interception ala Hansen. Milner the workhorse did a fantastic job only allowed Sterling to went pass him once and providing the support for attack. 

We have now beaten most of the title contenders, I'm sure if we stay competitive and play to our strengths and neutralizing the opponents' strengths we will do well in the 2nd half of the season.

Let's just remain fully focus on the job and take one game at the time and see how far it takes us. If we need to continue to churn out these 1-0 scorelines, I won't complain as long as every step takes us nearer to where we want to be. 

Hope the lads have calmed down and concentrate on the next game, remain focus  and continue to do our job well and wait for Chelsea to slip. They will slip at some point of time, not a matter of whether they will or will not and we have to fully capitalise on that and continue to pile the pressure on them.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2017 01:23:43 am by redkop63 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #473: Jan 02, 2017 08:05:42 pm
      Surprised about the number of folks that came out for this,There were a bunch of people waiting in line at the offi pub when i walked by at 12,a few walked into ours after we scored, :) .Only a couple of city fans.Still don't get the bolt for the doors as soon as the game finishes,i was all about celebrating the win with a few beers! funtime.

Quick Reply