Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sunderland?

Simon Mignolet
      25 (29.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      6 (7.1%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      3 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      5 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (10.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      28 (32.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2017 05:00:00 pm

Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35163 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Jan 02, 2017 06:23:36 pm

Understandably frustrated. After we went ahead, they really didn't threaten, and the F***ing moron ref gave a free that wasnt afaik see, and they get a peno off it.  Defoe the little tit, and others, were falling over way to F***ing easily all afternoon.
      The two days rest is a problem too, not just because we didn't get the result we wanted, but the energy we put into matches is hard to repeat twice in 48 hrs - and there is the increased risk of injury. Though that doesnt cover whatever happened Studge, is the guy made of glass or what.
      Individual errors cost us, giving away penoes, so chalk it down as one that got away and move on.
      Injuries starting to take effect though, hopefully some of the guys will be back before we hit the next PL game...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #622: Jan 02, 2017 06:23:43 pm
      I think there was enough fluidity and movement to win the game today but in fairness to Sunderland they were solid enough and had their keeper Mannone to thanks for some excellent saves.

Agreed, on another day we're winning this 4 or 5 - 2 and everyone is happy enough just with the odd moan about the stupid penalties. Of course it's a results based business and I wouldn't go as far as Mick in saying it's a good point, I actually disagree with that but listening to how people are slating the performance when all things are considered I personally think it wasn't nearly as bad as the scoreline reflects.

I could be wrong, I often am, but I think personally that's what has Jürgen so frustrated tonight. I think he believes he got more than enough out of the players to deserve to win the match and then to have it robbed from us by a shocking call by the ref just has him boiling a little.

We move on, hopefully Chelsea are met with a few of these issues too. They've had a charmed run being injury free and I'm hoping that someone will find a way to counter their 3 at the back. Hopefully Pochettino leads the way and shows the less talented managers the way on Wednesday (nice for them to get so much rest isn't it...).
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #623: Jan 02, 2017 06:25:07 pm
      Firmino has been appalling. How long does he keep this abject form up?
      Problem is there is a severe lack of competition from what is a pretty thin bench.

Form is not what it was but he, like the others, never give up. They don't lack for effort, which is good to see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #624: Jan 02, 2017 06:36:36 pm
      I know after watching us for so many years I should be used to us dropping points against the sh*te of the league but it still does my head in............... :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #625: Jan 02, 2017 06:40:16 pm
      Win your home games and pick up what you can on the road.

I'm more concerned by Firmino's complete lack of form as an attacking player. His overall game is lacking
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #626: Jan 02, 2017 06:40:54 pm
      Agreed, on another day we're winning this 4 or 5 - 2 and everyone is happy enough just with the odd moan about the stupid penalties. Of course it's a results based business and I wouldn't go as far as Mick in saying it's a good point, I actually disagree with that but listening to how people are slating the performance when all things are considered I personally think it wasn't nearly as bad as the scoreline reflects.

I could be wrong, I often am, but I think personally that's what has Jürgen so frustrated tonight. I think he believes he got more than enough out of the players to deserve to win the match and then to have it robbed from us by a shocking call by the ref just has him boiling a little.

We move on, hopefully Chelsea are met with a few of these issues too. They've had a charmed run being injury free and I'm hoping that someone will find a way to counter their 3 at the back. Hopefully Pochettino leads the way and shows the less talented managers the way on Wednesday (nice for them to get so much rest isn't it...).

I think a lot of the frustration stems from the fact that I think all of us believed we could and should have won this match. The overreaction from some afterwards kind of betrays that fact that most of us believed we were still good enough in the match to win. Not like the Burnley defeat which was so much easier to accept because at no point in the match did we look like scoring which left us with very little doubt or angst with regards to the final result in that particular match.

We have to look forward now. SURELY we are due back a few absentees for Old Trafford. Coutinho? Matip? Hendo? If so then we will have a lot to look forward to in what will be a gloriously competitive match. If we don't have any of those players back AND Sturridge then I will be RAGING!

Just be grateful that it's in two weeks time. Kind of tempted to start a half weakened side in the league cup as well, banking on doing the business at home in the second leg.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #627: Jan 02, 2017 06:45:21 pm
      Looks like a village idiot has been let loose on the forum, voted for Can as MOTM.   :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #628: Jan 02, 2017 06:52:42 pm
      Just be grateful that it's in two weeks time. Kind of tempted to start a half weakened side in the league cup as well, banking on doing the business at home in the second leg.

Good suggestion that FMS and you're right, for once I'm happy we have 2 weeks to recover. Our unavailable player list is getting a little out of hand and this recovery period is just what they need.

Hendo was said to be 10 days so there has to be every chance he'll be back in time, I'm less convinced about Cou. Sturrige, I always think whenever he goes off hobbling that it could be absolutely any length of time.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #629: Jan 02, 2017 07:06:23 pm
      You pop in once every few months to diss the team after we have a poor performance sprouting your negative nonsense.

Get fu**ed shitbrick!

I criticise players when they are not of Liverpool standard. I've supported and loved the Reds for longer than you've been in existence.

Lovely language. Must be your upbringing.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2017 07:22:53 pm by Fourbrick »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #630: Jan 02, 2017 07:07:34 pm
      I think there was enough fluidity and movement to win the game today but in fairness to Sunderland they were solid enough and had their keeper Mannone to thanks for some excellent saves.

No, we weren't surrounding the opponent and ball with four or five players to regain possession like the city game. Neither were we first to the second balls. We weren't as sharp as the city game. If we were that fluid, we'd have passed around Sunderland and created a few tap in goals.

The attack wasn't fluid and our defence has finally caught up with us.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #631: Jan 02, 2017 07:10:15 pm
      Final ball from the attacking 5 (Gini, Lallana, Mane, Firmino, Sturridge) for the most part was very poor, we did control major parts of the game but never seem to come off or we ended up in 20 yard shots which didn't worked out. It was a very sloppy game as it wasn't hard to tell both teams on very short rest by the goals giving up on both ends. I always tried to look at the positives and during this Christmas period taking 10 of 12 I would of taken before hand, yes disappointed the points lost were prob vs the weakest side but just have to hope Chelsea drop points vs Spurs, we got a good period to rest players with FA Cup and League Cup 1st leg coming up and set sights on trip to Old Trafford
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #632: Jan 02, 2017 07:12:44 pm
      I see people hoping for Chelsea to lose to Spurs but for me we need to distance ourselves from Spurs because a couple draws from us and boom we are out of the top four.

Primarily we need to focus on the top four not catching Chelsea, this season top four will be at its most competitive even with United closing in, we need to be prepared.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #633: Jan 02, 2017 07:22:31 pm
      Poor defending letting the side down again, a top four place more realistic, than winning the title.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #634: Jan 02, 2017 07:28:45 pm
      To be fair they should have had a third penalty.

Nothing to do with the FA.

Did I miss something with my poor stream? I mean there's no way you are referring to Can?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #635: Jan 02, 2017 07:30:57 pm
      Is it safe to come in yet  :couch:
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #636: Jan 02, 2017 07:32:02 pm
      Win your home games and pick up what you can on the road.

I'm more concerned by Firmino's complete lack of form as an attacking player. His overall game is lacking

I'm concerned that Klopp keeps playing him. Clear sign of a "favourite son". No way he makes our first 11.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #637: Jan 02, 2017 07:57:17 pm
      Not buying the fatigue excuse. We've known for over 6 weeks when this game was coming up, more than enough time to adequately prepare for it. We've also had it pretty comfy the last few years having 3 and 4 day breaks between Christmas games when rivals had to play twice in 48 hours. This year it was our turn, Arsenal have it, City have it, the mancs have it, even Sunderland have it. If you want your Christmas and New Year break getting paid to put your feet up, go somewhere else. That's the challenge in England at this time of year, and it used to be even more demanding than this, so basically put up with it or go home. The squad would be training twice today anyway if there was no game on.

I thought we battered them and should have won. I thought the ref was a homer though. I thought the first penalty was a dive, and the ref was getting the card out for it, until he eventually signalled otherwise. I thought the second goal wasn't a free kick in the build up either. It was very hard work to go ahead twice, so 2 joke decisions against us was very hard to take. They were not the only bad decisions against us either.

This always looked an awkward game to get three points before ko and so it was. Now we're looking for more favours, but if we get them, this result won't be too bad.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #638: Jan 02, 2017 08:07:21 pm
      Not buying the fatigue excuse. We've known for over 6 weeks when this game was coming up, more than enough time to adequately prepare for it. We've also had it pretty comfy the last few years having 3 and 4 day breaks between Christmas games when rivals had to play twice in 48 hours. This year it was our turn, Arsenal have it, City have it, the mancs have it, even Sunderland have it. If you want your Christmas and New Year break getting paid to put your feet up, go somewhere else. That's the challenge in England at this time of year, and it used to be even more demanding than this, so basically put up with it or go home. The squad would be training twice today anyway if there was no game on.

I thought we battered them and should have won. I thought the ref was a homer though. I thought the first penalty was a dive, and the ref was getting the card out for it, until he eventually signalled otherwise. I thought the second goal wasn't a free kick in the build up either. It was very hard work to go ahead twice, so 2 joke decisions against us was very hard to take. They were not the only bad decisions against us either.

This always looked an awkward game to get three points before ko and so it was. Now we're looking for more favours, but if we get them, this result won't be too bad.
      Spot on if we are in the champions league our fixture list would be more demanding
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #639: Jan 02, 2017 08:13:10 pm
      Our squad is paper thin right now. Hope we'll manage to bring in some reinforcement.

Do you suppose anybody was watching in Boston?
      More importantly and more doubtfully would anyone over in the US of A have any intention of addressing the team's shortcomings?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #640: Jan 02, 2017 08:13:19 pm

It's the 3 games in 7 days and the fact we are missing Couts, Matip, and Henderson. Chelsea on the other hand, have played 3 games in 10 days and don't have a single injury unless I'm mistaken.

If we'd have those three fit, we would have had more options off the bench and that's massive at this time of year. So for me, because we really don't have a solid bench, it's cost us today.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #641: Jan 02, 2017 08:13:44 pm

Spot on other teams have played Two games in Forty Eight hours we were not at the races today and have a serious lack of depth in our squad the Four teams below us are nearer us than we are to Chelsea and that is a worrying fact

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #642: Jan 02, 2017 08:21:11 pm
      Not going to blow my top over it. We just looked tired.

Emre is one of the most frustrating players I've seen in a long time he has every tool available to him physically but his mental game is piss poor.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #643: Jan 02, 2017 08:24:28 pm
      Do you suppose anybody was watching in Boston?
      More importantly and more doubtfully would anyone over in the US of A have any intention of addressing the team's shortcomings?

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Quick Reply