Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sunderland?

Simon Mignolet
      25 (29.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      6 (7.1%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      3 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      5 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (10.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      28 (32.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2017 05:00:00 pm

Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33926 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Jan 03, 2017 10:03:23 am
      Just home from the match after a few sherbets.
      Gutted about the pens but will need someone in a better position than me to call it as through my red tinted specs neither looked a pen.

They were the worst team we have played all season. Terrible atmosphere and just a sh*t game. Last few days looked like they took there toll on us.

Take the draw and move on.

Come on Redmen we can do better than that.

First one isn't a pen for me. Their player scoops the ball up and has nowhere to go as he is closed down by both Wijnaldum and Klavan, he was looking for it. I actually thought the ref had blown for the dive at first and he was going to book their lad for it.

Cans handball sort of evened it out though. We got away with that one.  Cans arm was stretched out away from his body so because of that, it was a pen in my eyes.

The mane one was also a pen in my opinion. Similar to Can, he has his arm stretched out.  If both him and Can have their arms tucked into their bodies then you can argue whether its a pen or not, most of the time it wouldn't be, but because of the positions they put their arms then most of the time it is.

Still pee'd off about this result and the performance.

Gave MotM to Migs who looked the part for once and did nothing wrong. Defoe's pens were too good for him.

I thought Mignolet was very good too. I think he has done really well since he has come back in for us. Dropping him for half a dozen or so games seems to have done him some good. We have been saying for ages he needs some competition for his shirt.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #668: Jan 03, 2017 10:56:49 am
      Just managed to watch last nights motd? Iffy first pen but second was nailed on? Why the F**k mane did that is beyond me 😡 The can shout for the pen was a no brainer too? It WASNT a penalty. Hope with the passing of a few hours the moaners have got their knickers back on straight now😡 We move on ffs
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #669: Jan 03, 2017 11:04:41 am

I didn't miss Hendo at all, he would have contributed nothing to the game, as he never does against Sunderland. He's just never up for the fight.

You may not have missed Hendo at all mate but by God did the team.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #670: Jan 03, 2017 11:55:09 am
      I must say after playing less then 48 hours ago and with the type of football we play we were lucky to come away with a draw from this one. Mignolet  was very good. I turned off the tv right after the final whistle so only saw Klopps post match interview now,
      and he is right. Why the F**k did we have to play that game so soon after the City game and it wasn't even on tv. It makes no sense. We all love the footy over Christmas but it's a bit of a joke really. Thought the players were excellent all things considering and we move on.
      Who at the start of the season thought we were going to win the league?? Top four was always our ambition this season and for me that doesn't change. We don't have the squad to challenge for the league this season. YNWA
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #671: Jan 03, 2017 01:06:02 pm
      There is a general feeling of anger in drawing with Sunderland on here ,2 points dropped etc,that is understandable,however i watched Moyes interveiw after their game with Burnley he admitted it was the worst performance he was involved in as a manager.  I believe we got the backlash for that Burnley result,also bearing in mind where he managed before he would have had them fired up for it. In saying that we as a club should be prepared for situations like that. However i dont think fans would have been so annoyed if we had drew with City,and beat Sunderland,same points ,total the same its down to opposition,and league positions,with some fans.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #672: Jan 03, 2017 01:09:21 pm
      They were lucky. 2 penalties, one of them a fairly bizarre one near the end of the game. We didn't play great but on another day, with a bit more luck, we would be talking about how "resilient" this team is for "winning while not playing well" and that sort of stuff. I don't buy into easy narratives. We scored two, their keeper made thirteen saves, and yet the commentator from the stream I was watching kept calling Sunderland's defensive performance "great" or "brilliant" or words to that effect. Yeah, right.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #673: Jan 03, 2017 01:12:45 pm
      They were lucky. 2 penalties, one of them a fairly bizarre one near the end of the game. We didn't play great but on another day, with a bit more luck, we would be talking about how "resilient" this team is for "winning while not playing well" and that sort of stuff. I don't buy into easy narratives. We scored two, their keeper made thirteen saves, and yet the commentator from the stream I was watching kept calling Sunderland's defensive performance "great" or "brilliant" or words to that effect. Yeah, right.

Commentator on my stream had Can as MOTM, I mean What the actual F**k???? :-)
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #674: Jan 03, 2017 01:30:27 pm
      Manone had an absolute blinder against us again yesterday why is it some players raise there game against us?. Anyway agree to a certain extent about Can, and he did look of the pace in the first half but I thought he was a lot better in the second half but all our players looked leggy!. We didn't rotate, but that's not being critical!.if only one of our many chances had gone in we'd be over the moon. Next game in the PL is a big one. I'll be watching at home as we always do badly when I go down the boozer. YNWA
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #675: Jan 03, 2017 02:11:49 pm
      Just managed to watch last nights motd? Iffy first pen but second was nailed on? Why the f**k mane did that is beyond me 😡 The can shout for the pen was a no brainer too? It WASNT a penalty. Hope with the passing of a few hours the moaners have got their knickers back on straight now😡 We move on ffs

Mate, there will be certain posters on here who will be disappointed that we didn't lose. But the fact that we drew will still have had them doing cart wheels because it means that they have been proved right and can show their superior knowledge!
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2017 02:46:44 pm by JedtheRed »
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #676: Jan 03, 2017 02:45:29 pm
      Wijnaldum, Can and Firmino were terrible. We need replacements. Not that they are not good enough, but simply tired. Can was average for me and did nothing great during the game, I would have preferred Lucas.

Other than that, I'm not happy but cannot say that I'm mad, the players did their best.

It's clear that we lack players in every area. We needed players to replace Hendo, Milner, Firmino but had none that could do a proper job.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #677: Jan 03, 2017 02:59:17 pm
      Just ‘one of those games’ really, and sadly ‘one of those weekends’

Ignore the media tripe coming up about United being back, or Chelsea walking away with the league.

Anyone who thinks Chelsea will remain this strong over their remaining matches needs to give their head a wobble.

It will even itself out, these things always do.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #678: Jan 03, 2017 03:13:57 pm
      For much of the 2nd half, Gini trying to run reminded me of Angus Young doing a show back in the day (young 'uns can Google it). His whole body seemed to be seizing. I appreciate the willingness on his part, but I should have liked to see Klopp make a couple more changes to the side. Of course, Sunderland only played two hours prior to us on Saturday and nobody seems to think they were tired (though I realize we try to play football and they basically don't).

Everyone assuming now that it will be all change for Saturday vs. Plymouth, but I don't know....
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #679: Jan 03, 2017 03:35:35 pm
      Wijnaldum, Can and Firmino were terrible. We need replacements. Not that they are not good enough, but simply tired. Can was average for me and did nothing great during the game, I would have preferred Lucas.

Other than that, I'm not happy but cannot say that I'm mad, the players did their best.

It's clear that we lack players in every area. We needed players to replace Hendo, Milner, Firmino but had none that could do a proper job.

Can was terrible first half good second half.

He has a lot of these jekyll and hyde performances.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #680: Jan 03, 2017 05:08:13 pm
      Can was terrible first half good second half.

He has a lot of these jekyll and hyde performances.

anyone else's heart skip a beat with some of his lateral passes yesterday?  there wasnt enough speed on the ball and it barely made it to his intended target. luckily sunderland forwards didnt pounce on them

Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,172 posts | 524 
      Reply #681: Jan 03, 2017 06:31:33 pm
      These people who keep saying why do the opposition goalkeepers keep having worldy's against us, how about turning it round, if we put the ball where it should go, in the net no goalkeeper saves it.
      Can't remember to many worldy's against us when Luis and Studge were rampant. Just an opinion like.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #682: Jan 03, 2017 06:45:01 pm
      These people who keep saying why do the opposition goalkeepers keep having worldy's against us, how about turning it round, if we put the ball where it should go, in the net no goalkeeper saves it.
      Can't remember to many worldy's against us when Luis and Studge were rampant. Just an opinion like.

Too be fair there keeper yesterday didn't have to do pull off any extraordinary saves, just a shame a lot of efforts were either powder puff or straight at him..........I'm looking at you Bobby!

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #683: Jan 03, 2017 08:36:59 pm
      Shouldn't have dropped points but shitt happens. The squad is still good, and we have the best manager.

Let's just hope for a Jan. Signing whom can cover for mane, even a lb so milner can switch back to the middle.

We still can catch Chelsea but we need to do all we can to improve. Players being off form, injured or whatever. These things happen. We need depth in the squad.

All in all, we are doing well but we just need to build on this.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #684: Jan 03, 2017 08:56:06 pm
      Shouldn't have dropped points but shitt happens. The squad is still good, and we have the best manager.

Let's just hope for a Jan. Signing whom can cover for mane, even a lb so milner can switch back to the middle.

We still can catch Chelsea but we need to do all we can to improve. Players being off form, injured or whatever. These things happen. We need depth in the squad.

All in all, we are doing well but we just need to build on this.

We've needed depth in the squad as long as FSG have been here.
      The very reason our runner's up status has only improved slightly is because the squad has not been improved to any substantial degree.

While FSG impose further financial constraint we will continue to trail clubs such as Chelsea, who as well as having a top class manager are willing to back him financially.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #685: Jan 03, 2017 09:04:55 pm
      You may not have missed Hendo at all mate but by God did the team.
      100% correct
      Our captain picked my the manager we all adore and people don't rate him, seriously if your not Eden hazard or Suarez then your sh*te in most fans eyes
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #686: Jan 03, 2017 09:14:09 pm
      If someone would have said to me back in August "Would you take 7 out of 9 from the 3 games over the Christmas period?"
      AND  "still be well in the top 4"
      I'd have said defo yes.

Of course I was pulling my hair out with frustration(as everyone else was) at the moves that broke down were as normally those very same moves, cut defences wide open.. bing bang bosh we're 3-0 up..

Sunderland will probably get dumped out of the FA cup this weekend and get thrashed in their next league game...

Interesting to see who Jürgen rests on Saturday in favour of the semi on the Tuesday.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #687: Jan 03, 2017 10:01:05 pm
      If someone would have said to me back in August "Would you take 7 out of 9 from the 3 games over the Christmas period?"
      AND  "still be well in the top 4"
      I'd have said defo yes.

Same, 100%. But then as the season goes on and you beat the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and City, you then expect to be able to do the business in these games. That's what frustrates me because just a couple days before we showed we can grind out a win and we had 2 chances to be able to do so but blew it. It's the fact we twice had the lead that makes it harder to take.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #688: Jan 03, 2017 10:59:33 pm
      Just jumped online to check the Chelsea result... !!

Seriously.. how did they get an extra 48 hours rest to prepare for their game? Fully expected that game to be tonight!  :mad:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #689: Jan 03, 2017 11:19:47 pm
      By the way the Emre Can 'handball' was 100% not a penalty.  F**k me - are some of you being serious?

I'm disappointed in the Sunderland result but 10 points from the 12 in the last 4 games is a good 2 or 3 more than I was expecting.  We've got 44 points.  I'd love someone to tell me where 44 points after 20 games would have put you over the last 25 years because I imagine more often than not you would have been top.

Pre-season I voted we would finish about 5th or 6th with the high 60+ points so where we are now is very much a positive surprise to me.

Nobody expected Chelsea to be setting league records and chasing 100 points and no team in the history of English football could live with that kind of total.

Interesting to see who Jürgen rests on Saturday in favour of the semi on the Tuesday.

It's a shame the Semi isn't at the weekend and the 3rd round in midweek.

Quick Reply