Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sunderland?

Simon Mignolet
      25 (29.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      6 (7.1%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      3 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      5 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (10.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      28 (32.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2017 05:00:00 pm

Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33920 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Jan 04, 2017 01:00:42 am
      By the way the Emre Can 'handball' was 100% not a penalty.  F**k me - are some of you being serious?

I'm disappointed in the Sunderland result but 10 points from the 12 in the last 4 games is a good 2 or 3 more than I was expecting.  We've got 44 points.  I'd love someone to tell me where 44 points after 20 games would have put you over the last 25 years because I imagine more often than not you would have been top.

Pre-season I voted we would finish about 5th or 6th with the high 60+ points so where we are now is very much a positive surprise to me.

Nobody expected Chelsea to be setting league records and chasing 100 points and no team in the history of English football could live with that kind of total.

It's a shame the Semi isn't at the weekend and the 3rd round in midweek.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=FIRST&co=1&se=54&mw=-1&ha=-1

You can edit years and match week progress (for 20 games in you have to select game week 18 usually)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #691: Jan 04, 2017 01:29:28 am
      https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=FIRST&co=1&se=54&mw=-1&ha=-1

You can edit years and match week progress (for 20 games in you have to select game week 18 usually)

Clicked on 1992/93

1. United 41
      2. Villa 41
      3. Norwich 41
      4. Blackburn 38
      5. Ipswich 36
      6. QPR 35

Liverpool? 12th 29

WTF?!! ;)
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #692: Jan 04, 2017 01:31:47 am
      By the way the Emre Can 'handball' was 100% not a penalty.  F**k me - are some of you being serious?

I'm disappointed in the Sunderland result but 10 points from the 12 in the last 4 games is a good 2 or 3 more than I was expecting.  We've got 44 points.  I'd love someone to tell me where 44 points after 20 games would have put you over the last 25 years because I imagine more often than not you would have been top.

Pre-season I voted we would finish about 5th or 6th with the high 60+ points so where we are now is very much a positive surprise to me.

Nobody expected Chelsea to be setting league records and chasing 100 points and no team in the history of English football could live with that kind of total.

It's a shame the Semi isn't at the weekend and the 3rd round in midweek.
      Yes your right, it wasn't a penalty, have I watched a different game.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #693: Jan 04, 2017 01:41:12 am
      I never watched the game as I was travelling so haven't commented in here but it is very frustrating to lead twice and give it away both times to penalties (whether justified or not).

I can see the argument re 10 points from 12 which we all would have taken over the festive period, but I am a firm believer in taking it one game at a time, putting previous results out of your mind and focussing solely on the game at hand and in that sense we've taken 1 point from 3.

It's not the end of the world, these results do happen and they are magnified when your rivals like Chelsea just seem to be relentless, there's very little breathing room to work with and we can't afford to be making silly errors to give away pens just after we have got ourselves into a winning position.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #694: Jan 04, 2017 04:16:29 am
      I can see the argument re 10 points from 12 which we all would have taken over the festive period, but I am a firm believer in taking it one game at a time, putting previous results out of your mind and focussing solely on the game at hand and in that sense we've taken 1 point from 3. 

Have to admit, that's what I do.

I only concern myself with the 3 pts at hand.

Can't be doing with all this clustering stuff, and then expecting a point total from it. Bollocks to that.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #695: Jan 04, 2017 05:27:41 am
      Just jumped online to check the Chelsea result... !!

Seriously.. how did they get an extra 48 hours rest to prepare for their game? Fully expected that game to be tonight!  :mad:

agree. had we even had an extra 24hrs, i can almost guarantee we wouldve walked away with three pts instead of just 1

fk sakes FA, if you are going to schedule crazy 48 time between games, at least be fair and make it so all teams play within that window
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #696: Jan 04, 2017 08:52:57 am
      I was very sick as some of you may know. I better now thanks God but we lose two points, I just saw the highlights now :( I think that Mignolet played very well.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #697: Jan 04, 2017 09:04:18 am
      I was very sick as some of you may know. I better now thanks God but we lose two points, I just saw the highlights now :( I think that Mignolet played very well.

Glad your better now mate. Take care   :gt-happyup:

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #698: Jan 04, 2017 09:13:52 am
      agree. had we even had an extra 24hrs, i can almost guarantee we wouldve walked away with three pts instead of just 1

Sunderland had practically the same 'rest' as us mate and with a smaller, injury ridden squad.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #699: Jan 04, 2017 09:18:40 am
      A few posters mentioning that Sunderland had the same rest time between games as us, true but the important point is Sunderland and in fact no other team in the league play at the same intensity, you just need to look at the distances covered and sprints made by our players.

So 44 hours between games was going to have more of an effect on our players than Sunderland who didn't even bother in their previous game and we're happy to take a tonking.
      Kopite78
      Reply #700: Jan 04, 2017 09:23:05 am
      Sunderland had practically the same 'rest' as us mate and with a smaller, injury ridden squad.

They did, which would probably explain the mistakes made by both sets of players and overall poor quality of the game

It would probably also explain why other teams rotated and made mistakes in games over the last few days

Not just us at all but absolutely f**king ridiculous the set of games this midweek, it's not even the holiday period now, we're all back at work

People talk about a winter break which I'm not really in favour of but they seemed to go the other way

Three weeks off? Nah let's play even more

Bonkers money grabbing pricks
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #701: Jan 04, 2017 09:35:01 am
      Glad your better now mate. Take care   :gt-happyup:

Thanks mate
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #702: Jan 04, 2017 11:33:52 am
      I must say after playing less then 48 hours ago and with the type of football we play we were lucky to come away with a draw from this one. Mignolet  was very good. I turned off the tv right after the final whistle so only saw Klopps post match interview now,
      and he is right. Why the f**k did we have to play that game so soon after the City game and it wasn't even on tv. It makes no sense. We all love the footy over Christmas but it's a bit of a joke really. Thought the players were excellent all things considering and we move on.
      Who at the start of the season thought we were going to win the league?? Top four was always our ambition this season and for me that doesn't change. We don't have the squad to challenge for the league this season. YNWA
      The thing about it is that all teams are in the same boat as far a The December schedules are concerned, I believe that klopp should have rotated his players more... A mistake that I hope he will learn from
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #703: Jan 04, 2017 11:38:37 am
      Quote from DaktionLFC

fk sakes FA, if you are going to schedule crazy 48 time between games, at least be fair and make it so all teams play within that window

Or we could get a competent ref to ref the game properly. If he does, we have our three points.

The FA initially scheduled the fixtures so that all clubs play twice in 48 hours. TV then changed them, and they call the shots. The reality is, Spurs v Chelsea is always more attractive to it, than Liverpool v Sunderland.

Like I said, we've got away with it in recent years, this year it was our turn. Next year is the same challenge, and it's up to us to be ready for it. No point complaining about it, as it will never change. If you want Christmas or New Year off, this is not the league for you.
      Kopite78
      Reply #704: Jan 04, 2017 12:10:02 pm

A mistake that I hope he will learn from

Klopp has a degree in sports science and also has all the players data that neither you nor me have

I think it's rather obtuse for you to think he should learn from his 'mistakes'
      He has far more data and knowledge at his fingertips than us, just because we didn't win doesn't mean that if he had made 6 changes or whatever that we would have done. We were 6 minutes from doing so and had we done people wouldn't question aspects that they don't really understand

Its ok to have an opinion,  that you would have made changes but to suggest he made a mistake and he should learn from it?

Any who,  with you in charge we probably wouldn't be where we are in the league anyway and may well have lost  :-\
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #705: Jan 04, 2017 12:20:43 pm
      Clicked on 1992/93

1. United 41
      2. Villa 41
      3. Norwich 41
      4. Blackburn 38
      5. Ipswich 36
      6. QPR 35

Liverpool? 12th 29

WTF?!! ;)

I'm sure that top 6 will be the championship table in a few years ;)
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #706: Jan 04, 2017 01:39:49 pm
      I'm sure that top 6 will be the championship table in a few years ;)

Only if
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #707: Jan 04, 2017 01:47:14 pm
      People talk about a winter break which I'm not really in favour of
      Yeah a lot of 'foreign' players and managers (Jürgen included) pass remark on the intensity of the fixtures.

I guess that is why most of the foreign managers (caught up in the 2 games/48 hrs) made changes. Even Moyes, with his pish squad, made 4 changes.

I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't... depending upon the result obviously. 😉

What's done is done and although Jürgen likes to maintain "the rhythm" of a winning team [I'm with him 100% on that btw]; I've a notion that might change for the next game.

Either way; we can all agree - the lads were jaded on Monday and a rest will help. 😎

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #708: Jan 04, 2017 07:20:08 pm
      This was the problem;
      Our sub bench.

1Karius
      18Moreno
      21Lucas
      27Origi
      35Stewart
      53Ejaria
      66Alexander-Arnold

Plan A didn't work and when we wanted plan B, other than Origi there is nobody that belongs on that bench.
      The rest belong in the starting line up against Plymouth.
      Hopefully Warner gets his checkbook out.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #709: Jan 04, 2017 07:31:39 pm
      This was the problem;
      Our sub bench.

1Karius
      18Moreno
      21Lucas
      27Origi
      35Stewart
      53Ejaria
      66Alexander-Arnold

Plan A didn't work and when we wanted plan B, other than Origi there is nobody that belongs on that bench.
      The rest belong in the starting line up against Plymouth.
      Hopefully Warner gets his checkbook out.

I would have started that bench, apart from Karius and then brought on our first team players if needed and I'm fairly sure that if the game was replayed so would Jürgen but as long as he learns from it then all is good and so far Jürgen has shown that he is a quick study which is very very positive, especially if compared to our previous manager.
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #710: Jan 04, 2017 07:54:14 pm
      we do things the hard way, we know that.

Chelsea (a) Spurs (a) Arsenal (a) Everton (a) 10 /12

Bournemouth (a) Burnley (a) sunderland (a) West Ham (h) ( 2 /12)

By the way in 2008/9 we had 45 points after 20 games

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=FIRST&co=1&se=17&mw=1-20&ha=-1

Guess what, we beat all the big teams and still didn't win the league
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #711: Jan 04, 2017 07:59:39 pm
      The real question that should be being asked about this game is not how Liverpool failed to win Sunderland but why Chelsea were allowed a four day break between matches to our less than two day break. We appealed and the FA tossed out the appeal.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #712: Jan 04, 2017 08:01:14 pm
      The problem lies in the squad, if you play the fast pressing game we do then your going to have more injuries, tied players, so you need a bigger stronger squad than we have, Jürgen looks like he won't play the younger players, so therefore we need a larger stronger squad than what we have now, so is it time to buy

Quick Reply