Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig)

Read 5360 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig)
      Jan 03, 2017 01:45:54 pm
      Liverpool eyeing £20million RB Leipzig star Emil Forsberg as Jürgen Klopp chases Christian Pulisic alternative
      The Reds chief has grown resigned that Dortmund have no interest in parting with whizkid Pulisic and has turned his attention to the Bundesliga's standout player

Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp has turned his attention to RB Leipzig star Emil Forsberg, after growing resigned to missing out on Christian Pulisic.

Borussia Dortmund starlet Pulisic has been a long-time target for the Reds boss, however BVB have continually reiterated their stance that the 18-year-old American winger is not for sale.

Liverpool saw an £11million bid rejected during the summer, hoping to profit on uncertainty surrounding the player’s position at Dortmund, following his breakthrough in 2015-16, after the signings of Ousmane Dembele, Andre Schurrle and Emre Mor.

However Pulisic’s development has continued to accelerate under Thomas Tuchel this term, with the US international having made 18 appearances in all competitions for the Bundesliga outfit.

Last month Dortmund general manager Michael Zorc told the Merseysiders that Pulisic - who has a deal at the Westfalenstadion until 2019 - is going nowhere.

"We have communicated very clearly that we won't sell Christian and that he's very much part of our plans," declared Zorc. "Liverpool don't need to waste time. They can save their money.”

Now with the Reds ready to strengthen their title challenge in January, Klopp has turned his attention to Swedish international Forsberg.

The 25-year-old has shone for RBL since joining from Swedish side Malmo in January 2015 for £3million.

And after playing a major part in their promotion to the top flight last season, the versatile attacking midfielder has made a splash in the Bundesliga.

Forsberg has bagged five goals and created nine others in his 15 appearances for Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side so far, and for many has been the division’s standout player in the first half of the season - despite his recent sending off in the 3-0 loss at Bayern.

Valued at £20million, Forsberg has 24 caps for his country, scoring three goals.

And while the Red Bull-backed club have little need to cash in, sporting director Ralf Rangnick has previously made clear to the club’s crop of young players that they will evaluate transfer offers from elite clubs, which they deem offer value for money and progression for the player’s career.

Yet a January signing looks tricky given RBL's rise to second in the table, and their hopes of securing a top four finish after their outstanding start to the season.

As such, the Liverpool boss may have to bide his time over a player long known to him.

Klopp received a number of scouting reports on him during his time as Dortmund boss, when Forsberg was plying his trade in his homeland.

And now Reds scouts have been to check him out in action for RBL this season. Meanwhile, the player's agent has already revealed that he has held talks with "major clubs".

“I have already been in meetings with major clubs regarding Forsberg," Hasan Cetinkaya told Aftonbladet in December.

"I have a picture in front of me. I will also be meeting with RB Leipzig.

“One must not forget that RB are also becoming a big club. They have done fantastic, fighting for the title and heading towards the Champions League.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-eyeing-20million-rb-leipzig-9545816

I did a report on RB Leipzig for one of my classes recently and my interest about the club increased, so I've watched them a few times and Forsberg does look like a special player, but can't say I'm an expert on him.

This article provides interest insight into the way RBL play: http://spielverlagerung.com/2017/01/02/beyond-the-business-model-rb-leipzigs-football-philosophy/
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2017 03:01:44 pm
      I keep meaning to watch them to see what Forsberg is like but I always forget. I've only heard good things about him though.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2017 05:06:58 pm
      YES please.. PLEASEEE!

RB Leipzig are interested in signing Brentford striker Scott Hogan, so there is a slight chance they might listen if we put in a concrete offer!
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2017 05:32:26 pm by Vicks86 »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2017 10:08:37 pm
      why arent we looking at Scott Hogan?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2017 10:33:53 pm
      why arent we looking at Scott Hogan?
      Because he is not a Southampton player.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #5: Jan 04, 2017 01:16:14 am
      Because he is not a Southampton player.

;D not yet. We'll wait for them to sign him so we can pay 22 million
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #6: Jan 04, 2017 09:58:21 am
      So Pulisic is unavailable and we settle for Forsberg 😳

Think we've been through similar before.

Expect to see Pulisic at Utd, Spurs or Chavs in the summer.
      That's where our main targets usually end up.

Thought things were gonna change for us in that respect but seems like the same old !
      Kopite78
      Reply #7: Jan 04, 2017 10:09:15 am
      So Pulisic is unavailable and we settle for Forsberg 😳

Think we've been through similar before.

Actually from what's being said it will be the opposite

Jürgen won't sign to make do, he will only sign someone in January if he would want them in the summer. If he can't get someone he wants long term then he won't sign anyone until his target is available

It's more likely we sign no one than a second/third or forth choice

Pulisic may not be available this window, it's down to Dortmund

Melissa Reddy basically said that there is zero interest in Forsberg

I would think as it stands that it's unlikely we sign anyone as Klopp's targets aren't available
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,208 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Jan 04, 2017 01:48:31 pm

Melissa Reddy basically said that there is zero interest in Forsberg

I would think as it stands that it's unlikely we sign anyone as Klopp's targets aren't available

Then we are in a fight for top 4 and no more. We just have not got the squad to compete for the title, Monday confirmed that. Jürgen is moaning about he Christmas period well wait until he sees what happens in April especially if we progress through the FA cup. If he thinks what we have got is enough he's mistaken. A bench full of kids, who he wont even give a few minutes playing time to, is not going to push us on in a few months when its needed.

He's doing a great job with a decent squad, what could he do if he added some top players to it?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #9: Jan 04, 2017 07:49:22 pm
      He's doing a great job with a decent squad, what could he do if he added some top players to it

Question should be why would a Dortmund or another top club be looking to sell it's top players in January?

Takes two to tango.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jan 04, 2017 09:09:04 pm
      Question should be why would a Dortmund or another top club be looking to sell it's top players in January?

And yet they do and always have... Suarez  ;)

Still  - any aul port excuse in a storm and all that.   :laugh:

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #11: Jan 04, 2017 09:48:06 pm
      And yet they do and always have... Suarez  ;)

Still  - any aul port excuse in a storm and all that.   :laugh:

I don't think Ajax is a top global club BBB, and at the time he was suspended for the biting incident...it's not an excuse its fact that top flight teams in top leagues who are fighting in the CL or to get into the CL generally do not want to trade valuable players in January.

Just like we would not want to sell a top player as we are competing for a league title or at worst a CL spot.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #12: Jan 04, 2017 10:57:26 pm
      German clubs hardly ever play ball in November and seeing as though we never pay over the odds I can't see any players from the Bundesliga arriving in this window.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2017 08:07:22 am
      I don't think Ajax is a top global club BBB
      Oh they are mate... way, way more so than BvB (who have won sweet F**k all in comparison) truth be told and Luis, biting or not, is/was better and more important than any player Dortmund have. The fact was we had to break our, then, transfer record to pry him away and that was for a reason.

Still... it's all about opinions and if you rate Dortmund a top team where Ajax aren't; fair enough. 

To be clear tho - you are wrong as F**k like.
       :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017 08:18:44 am by bad boy bubby »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #14: Jan 05, 2017 04:58:10 pm
      I don't think Ajax is a top global club BBB, and at the time he was suspended for the biting incident...it's not an excuse its fact that top flight teams in top leagues who are fighting in the CL or to get into the CL generally do not want to trade valuable players in January.

Just like we would not want to sell a top player as we are competing for a league title or at worst a CL spot.

Ajax not a top club?? Stop trying to make us Yankees look bad.  :f_doh:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Jan 05, 2017 06:08:06 pm
      Ajax not a top club?? Stop trying to make us Yankees look bad.  :f_doh:

Never considered the dutch league as a superior league compared to the big boys...Ajax is a whale in a goldfish bowl and yes I believe that if Ajax was in the the Premiership, Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A things would be a bit different for them as a club.

As for the original premise I was merely trying to state that big clubs in big leagues are far less likely to transfer real talent during the January window.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Jan 05, 2017 06:24:36 pm
      Come on, Ajax in terms of history is obviously a huge club, while Man City, for example, is comparatively much smaller - but there's no doubt, in  my mind, which is "bigger" in terms of attraction and retention of talent nowadays. Dortmund is also a bigger pull to a player than Ajax, for obvious reasons. So I'm afraid that signing a player from Ajax is January is definitely not the same to attracting someone from the clubs that are currently among the best in the world. Btw, there is a case to be made that Dortmund is not among those top teams at the moment either. They're below the likes of RBL, Hoffenheim, Hertha and Frankfurt in the Bundesliga, so it's not like we would be trying to get a player from Real Madrid's starting XI or something. Even so, if you go to Uruguay and ask to a talented player from there if he's more interested in playing for Ajax in the Dutch league or Dortmund in Germany, I'm pretty sure the vast majority would go for the latter option. Not to mention the fact that a club like Ajax is also weaker financially to resist bids from richer clubs, irrespective of their relevance in the history books.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Jan 05, 2017 06:29:42 pm
      Come on, Ajax in terms of history is obviously a huge club, while Man City, for example, is comparatively much smaller - but there's no doubt, in  my mind, which is "bigger" in terms of attraction and retention of talent nowadays. Dortmund is also a bigger pull to a player than Ajax, for obvious reasons. So I'm afraid that signing a player from Ajax is January is definitely not the same to attracting someone from the clubs that are currently among the best in the world. Btw, there is a case to be made that Dortmund is not among those top teams at the moment either. They're below the likes of RBL, Hoffenheim, Hertha and Frankfurt in the Bundesliga, so it's not like we would be trying to get a player from Real Madrid's starting XI or something.

So your top club ranking is based purely on the present then, so I guess that means that for one small glimpse of time Leicester were a top club :-). Likewise for the last 7-8 years, apart from one season we have not been a top club?  I personally think a top club has to be based on history as much as current standing and in that regard Ajax are a much bigger club than BVB.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #18: Jan 05, 2017 06:31:52 pm
      So your top club ranking is based purely on the present then, so I guess that means that for one small glimpse of time Leicester were a top club :-). Likewise for the last 7-8 years, apart from one season we have not been a top club?  I personally think a top club has to be based on history as much as current standing and in that regard Ajax are a much bigger club than BVB.

Personally I think their is a disparity between players and fans on this subject, sometimes influenced by the filthy lucre.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Jan 05, 2017 06:32:07 pm
      I wouldn't call Ajax a small club but BVB is bigger right now. BVB are top of their CL group but Ajax top of the EL group. Ajax are still a big club and don't rule them out of winning EL. Using past results is flawed, that means Nottingham Forest are 3rd biggest team in UK if you go on that sort of facts.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jan 05, 2017 06:32:57 pm

That misses the point completely, I'm not discussing how big the clubs are, but rather their power to retain and attract talent. To suggest that Ajax is a "world power" is absolutely fine in terms of football history, but it's also completely deluded if we're talking about the transfer market.

They have less money and are far less attractive to players than many clubs with less historical relevance. That's why you now see even Bristol F***ing City attracting players from Bundesliga clubs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #21: Jan 05, 2017 06:37:09 pm
      That misses the point completely, I'm not discussing how big the clubs are, but rather their power to retain and attract talent. To suggest that Ajax is a "world power" is absolutely fine in terms of football history, but it's also completely deluded if we're talking about the transfer market.

They have less money and are far less attractive to players than many clubs with less historical relevance. That's why you now see even Bristol f**king City attracting players from Bundesliga clubs.

Almost all Dutch players of any note end up at Ajax, if indeed they don't start there, before going elsewhere and they also have a good scouting network, eg Suarez so I would still say they are a key player in terms of player attraction and development. However in Germany it is more dispersed although the golden rule is that all the top players eventually gravitate to Bayern.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2017 06:41:50 pm
      Almost all Dutch players of any note end up at Ajax, if indeed they don't start there, before going elsewhere and they also have a good scouting network, eg Suarez so I would still say they are a key player in terms of player attraction and development. However in Germany it is more dispersed although the golden rule is that all the top players eventually gravitate to Bayern.

Again this misses the point. The comparison between Ajax and Dortmund started when people were discussing the possibility of signing top players in January. It is a fairly obvious point to make that it is easier to sign a player from Ajax under those circumstances than from Dortmund. Dragging this debate into history is only a way of moving the goalposts, really.

This does not excuse LFC for not making any signings this January, however. After all, none of our recent signings have come from big, "world powers" anyway, but rather from clubs like Southampton, Augsburg, Newcastle, Mainz etc. It is notably harder to do business in January but there's abundance of evidence that good deals can be closed around that time.

Quick Reply