Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Plymouth?

Loris Karius
      4 (4.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      7 (8.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      14 (16.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (4.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.7%)
      Kevin Stewart
      23 (26.7%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.3%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      2 (2.3%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      1 (1.2%)
      Ben Woodburn
      17 (19.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      8 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Jan 12, 2017 03:29:17 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Plymouth Argyle: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29559 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Plymouth Argyle: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Jan 09, 2017 12:47:40 pm
      Without doubt I have invested more of my time and money into LFC than you ever will, I'll bet my son on that, so don't need somebody like you to tell me what it takes to be a supporter you f**king cretin.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #369: Jan 09, 2017 12:51:40 pm

We restricted Plymouth to just one shot on target on goal at Anfield. Go us  :scarf:
      jonny888
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #370: Jan 09, 2017 01:30:57 pm
      Enough with this struggle to break down the buses stuff. Can someone please tell me which team in the premiere league does successfully break the buses in games whilst playing their youngsters. And, we have broken many buses this year, hence its the reason we are second in the league and scored the most goals in the league, semi's of the league cup whilst being halfway through the season.

Seems some people just need a reason to moan. The average age of the squad was 21.3 yesterday in which quite a few lads were below 21 years of age.

Some of the youngsters don't fill some of you with confidence? Well, thats why they are youngsters who are playing the Under 23's , not full fledged professionals. No matter what you think, if the whole team is inside their 18 yard box, then fucks knows what we will break down.

"As to Plymouth's shape was excellent", hardly a shape when you are sitting in your f**king goal, whilst playing against a team of teenagers.

Exactly. 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes might get you a ££££ replay and another chance to try to make nasty little  attacks on our strikers in the hope they will react and get themselves sent off; plus rave reviews in the ignorant 'plucky underdog' tabloids and BBC, but in the long run tactics like that will kill the FA Cup.

Just imagine if all teams played that way, just get a replay and maybe win on penalties each round.

I am quite happy to give credit where credit is due, but not just as a kneejerk reaction to any duff team that stopped our reserves from scoring for 90 minutes. No credit was due to them, and they are not getting any from me.

As I said to the wife at half time, that was the poorest and most cynically negative performance by an away side at Anfield that I can remember in 50 years. And it only improved marginally in the second half.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #371: Jan 09, 2017 01:51:46 pm
      in the long run tactics like that will kill the FA Cup.

Professionalism will kill the FA Cup! They said in the 1880's. I think it will do just fine.

Just imagine if all teams played that way, just get a replay and maybe win on penalties each round.

So a League Two club plays defensively against a Premier League side away from home and all of a sudden you're imagining if all teams play that way? Why? I don't even understand the generalization. For me it's pretty obvious that no, not all teams will ever play that way.

And if truth be told, most of the time a L2 side even tries to do that, the EPL club manages to score anyway such is the disparity in quality, which throws their plan in the garbage bin straight away. It just happens that this time we couldn't, so they persisted with it.

I'm finding this topic seriously strange. I see people either dismissing Plymouth for playing like, err, the League Two club that they are, or dismissing the young players we had in the game. I don't see the need to do either.

It wasn't a great performance but there were lots of mitigating circumstances, and it was only one game after all, so no reason to be too harsh with an inexperienced team. If anything, I was particularly disappointed with the more senior players on the pitch, such as Emre Can. And on the other hand, the generalizations being made on a L2 club playing unattractive football are beyond comprehension - no, this is not the reason why England are crap at international football, and this is also not the competition's death sentence.

Sometimes it's alright to be somewhere in the middle. We don't need to sound radical on the internet all the time just for the likes. :) ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #372: Jan 09, 2017 01:58:40 pm
      Exactly. 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes might get you a ££££ replay

The real big money payday was the game at Anfield I would imagine - half the receipts for a televised game in front of 55,000 will dwarf what they earn from their home game.

Looking forward to the draw anyway - if it's away at a Premier League club then they will have even more motivation in the replay and it will likely be a far better game whichever way it goes.

I'd imagine when we they jib replays from the FA Cup they might have more entertaining games.  Seems the days of the lower division sides having a crack have gone and now it's all about the replays - extra games.  Prize money of £65,000 for winning the 3rd round clearly is peanuts next to potential TV money and splitting gate receipts with todays ticket prices.

Trying to put myself in the position of a Plymouth fan who made a 14/15 hour round trip and wonder whether they enjoyed the 'day out'.  I just don't know.  Would I have wanted that to have been my introduction for kids going to see footie and sparking a love affair with the game?

The most obvious way for the FA Cup to be improved would be for the FA to take a larger percentage of the ticket fee and redistributing it via much bigger prize money.
      jonny888
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #373: Jan 09, 2017 02:00:27 pm
      Professionalism will kill the FA Cup! They said in the 1880's. I think it will do just fine.

So a League Two club plays defensively against a Premier League side away from home and all of a sudden you're imagining if all teams play that way? Why? I don't even understand the generalization. For me it's pretty obvious that no, not all teams will ever play that way.

And if truth be told, most of the time a L2 even try to do that, a EPL club will manage to score anyway, which throws their plan in the garbage bin straight away. It just happens that this time we couldn't.

I'm finding this topic seriously strange. I see people either dismissing Plymouth for playing like, err, the League Two club that they are, or dismissing the young players we had in the game. I don't see the need to do either.

It wasn't a great performance but there were lots of mitigating circumstances, and it was only one game after all, so no reason to be too harsh with an inexperienced team. If anything, I was particularly disappointed with the more senior players on the pitch, such as Emre Can. And on the other hand, the generalizations being made on a L2 club playing unattractive football are beyond comprehension - no, this is not the reason why England are crap at international football, and this is also not the competition's death sentence.

Sometimes it's alright to be somewhere in the middle. We don't need to sound radical on the internet all the time just for the likes. :) ;)

Three words might illustrate why a L2 team does not 'have' to play that way....

Havant And Waterlooville

(Ok so they did lose in the end)

The irony is that had Plymouth actually tried crossing the half way line and ran at our defence they might have induced panic in the youngsters and got a goal. Now that would have been a story.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #374: Jan 09, 2017 02:01:41 pm
      The real big money payday was the game at Anfield I would imagine - half the receipts for a televised game in front of 55,000 will dwarf what they earn from their home game.

Indeed. I was at Accrington Stanley the other day when they beat Luton Town in the FA Cup, and lots of people there were hoping for an away game against a Premier League club. Their stadium is so small that they wouldn't make that much money with a home game, but the rule in the FA Cup is 45% of gate money to each club (10% goes for the FA) so suppose they get to play at Arsenal - they would be getting the sort of money that makes a real big difference for a club of their size.

Home Park is bigger than Accrington's stadium, so it's not exactly the same, but still the big money was definitely on the away game.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #375: Jan 09, 2017 02:15:05 pm
      Three words might illustrate why a L2 team does not 'have' to play that way....

Havant And Waterlooville

(Ok so they did lose in the end)

The irony is that had Plymouth actually tried crossing the half way line and ran at our defence they might have induced panic in the youngsters and got a goal. Now that would have been a story.

Exactly, they lost! Fans love to be "gracious" to opposing teams when their teams actually win the game. It's very easy to be magnanimous in those circumstances - "fair play to Havant & Waterloovile, they gave it a shot" when we put 5 goals past them despite having one of our worst performances. It can be actually quite condescending - yeah, try all you like, but stay in the position you're supposed to be: losing at Anfield. Because if a club comes here and dares not to entertain us with a high-scoring defeat, then they're being negative, they're a shame to football, they're the reason England can't get past a quarter final, they'll kill the oldest competition in the world...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #376: Jan 09, 2017 02:22:03 pm
      Deary me so much sh*t being lost once again!!

Are we in the draw tonight?  Course we are, we didn't lose.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #377: Jan 09, 2017 02:41:42 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #378: Jan 09, 2017 03:03:20 pm

Who has lost their sh*t? I'm only annoyed when fans refuse to accept we haven't played to the standard that this club requires. It will happen occasionally, we won't win every single football match and we won't put on a show and perform like Brazil every week either but its ok to accept that, admit it when it happens and just talk about it instead of chatting utter sh*t and making excuses up all the time.

Posters have actually criticised Plymouths game plan and tactics. Its laughable.

I've said that in my opinion we were sh*te, and I've been told to throw my season ticket away and give it to a proper fan. Again, laughable.

Its the same old story on this forum though, anything slightly critical and you get hunted down. Its pathetic.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #379: Jan 09, 2017 03:09:16 pm

Nothing to do with the match, it's being called a 'supporter' (in inverted commas) when not going according to script that gets peoples goat (understandably)
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #380: Jan 09, 2017 05:43:21 pm
      Stop saying we were sh*te, these are kids learning their trade against battle hardened men, the more experience the better they will become, not bad domination from the youngsters and the rest of the game including goals will come.

But it was sh*te though.I'm a sad arse that watches the u-18/23 games on dodgy streams when i can but still if they play like sh*te one game it doesn't really effect their long term prospects.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #381: Jan 09, 2017 06:16:56 pm
      Stop saying we were sh*te, these are kids learning their trade against battle hardened men, the more experience the better they will become, not bad domination from the youngsters and the rest of the game including goals will come.

So were we good then? If that is the best those lads can play then we are fu**ed! Luckily though it isn't, they are all individually and as a team capable of much much more and hopefully will demonstrate that on the 18th.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #382: Jan 09, 2017 06:31:21 pm
      It seems like we will have to use youth in the replay. It's 3 days after United game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #383: Jan 09, 2017 07:12:17 pm
      Enough with this struggle to break down the buses stuff. Can someone please tell me which team in the premiere league does successfully break the buses in games whilst playing their youngsters. And, we have broken many buses this year, hence its the reason we are second in the league and scored the most goals in the league, semi's of the league cup whilst being halfway through the season.

Seems some people just need a reason to moan. The average age of the squad was 21.3 yesterday in which quite a few lads were below 21 years of age.

Some of the youngsters don't fill some of you with confidence? Well, thats why they are youngsters who are playing the Under 23's , not full fledged professionals. No matter what you think, if the whole team is inside their 18 yard box, then fucks knows what we will break down.

"As to Plymouth's shape was excellent", hardly a shape when you are sitting in your f**king goal, whilst playing against a team of teenagers.

Good post that Gill.

On young players, I'm probably older than most but I remember a young player or two. I remember Robbie Fowler when he first broke into the team as a kid. He got five in one game against lower league opposition, he would have ripped Plymouth a new @rsehole young player or not. Even Owen (though it pains me to say it) would have filled his boots. For Ojo read Steve Macmanaman, he would have dazzled them and ran at them all day long, eager as he was to impress and force his way into the reckoning. Don't even get me started on what a young Steven Gerrard would have done with the space our midfielders were offered just outside the box, f*** me it would have been like a shooting gallery at a fairground stall. The thing is though, THAT'S how good you've got to be to make it. You've got to absolutely snatch the opportunity you've got like it's your last, because it might be.

On the Fowler / Owen comparisons it is extremely flippant to suggest they're the same. Look how ineffective Origi and Sturridge were when he came on. Surely we should be expecting a world class striker to rip them to shreds and fill his boots, he did have over half an hour against tired legs. Nah not for me that mate, they were very difficult circumstances, regardless of the quality difference.

Just like those suggesting TAA "will never make it" based on his contribution in this game. I'd challenge anyone to go out and try to perform against a team set up like Plymouth, no matter how far below you in skill they are it is damn difficult to break them down. Woodburn tried hard but he's likely never experienced a defence like that, he's used to a lot more space to express himself and make runs, it is one of the most difficult things in football to break down bus parkers.

The slight against TAA is silly because the thing he did most wrong was lose patience and at his age just breaking in and trying to grab  your chance then I can more than understand. What he needed to do was relax and choose the easier option, instead he was trying the most difficult which is to cross continuously into a compact box where our lads are completely outnumbered. Thankfully he now has that experience and can draw on it when he is given future chances.

We're something like 25 unbeaten at Anfield and 1 lost in 23 (quote earlier in this thread), I simply don't understand the negativity towards this valuable experience for our young lads. Maybe criticise Jürgen for choosing a team not quite good enough, but with the semi-final so close and this being Plymouth I personally think it was a fair team selection, especially if you got a chance to read his Sunday Times interview. Development is absolutely key to what he does and we all know that experience is something you can't buy in this game so those lads will take those minutes and hopefully put them to good use and I'd suspect later down the line we'll get back many times what a return trip down south is really going to cost us.

As for some of the really embarrassing comments by others I think they're best laughed at and forgotten. I'm sure when perspective hits those posters and they consider the average age of around 21 (20 without Lucas) then they might find themselves a little more inclined to offer encouragement rather than be quite so harsh.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #384: Jan 09, 2017 07:27:06 pm
      Wolves at home for the 4th round. Please progress!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #385: Jan 09, 2017 07:50:53 pm
      I do think we are vulnerable if we play that exact team again next time out at their place. Our youngsters would benefit more now by complimenting the first team rather than by them all playing in one go.

Like I said yesterday, the lineup was well worth a go on Sunday, but this is a little different being away from home against a team who will be well up for this one, perhaps looking to get a decent move before the end of the transfer window. I think it not unreasonable for a half of the first team to be able to play this game in midweek to give us the best chance of progression.

It will do these young lads no good to be dumped out of the FA Cup by Plymouth and all the criticism that would come along with that, and if Plymouth do dump us out in the end, then criticism would rightly come Klopps way. We're not in Europe. There's no excuse to be throwing silverware away through fear of burnout. We've had much tougher fixture pile ups in the past than this year.

Getting a little tired of hearing the complaining about our fixture list in this country. It is what it is, and it needs dealing with.

Making the squad stronger in depth so it can handle all competitions would be a start. If we are to win silverware more consistently, then we need to ease the gap between our first team quality and squad quality.
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 08:02:09 pm by fields of anny rd »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #386: Jan 09, 2017 07:51:13 pm
      Wolves at home for the 4th round. Please progress!

I'd still just play the kids in the return, and then play them again against Wolves, they need the experience.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #387: Jan 09, 2017 08:00:24 pm
      It's a new weed called metro.co.uk  :D

Keith using Metro.co.UK as any kind of reference is the best way of losing an argument and all crediblity in the process.
      Sharpy76
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #388: Jan 09, 2017 08:11:59 pm
      The (potential) trip to Anfield South in April/May, is worth fielding a decent team down in Plymouth. Because if we don't, we're a flick or a set piece away from going out of the Cup.

I'm reluctant to hold Klopp responsible for today, as any coach would have done the same, however I don't like to see so many changes at once, I'll never advocate doing so, as its a huge gamble, and not for the first time, it didn't work.

The 3rd Round of the Cup may be an inconvenience for big clubs, as all the spotlight is on the opposition. But there's still a right way to go about ties like this, such as the League Cup tie at Burton Albion. Field a strong side, get the job done with the minimum of fuss, and go home. And then there's the way today, which is throw a pile of teenagers and youngsters into the deep end. This is not the U-18 league where nobody cares whether you win or not. This is senior team football where results count, and obviously many of them are not up to this level as of yet, so it's unfair on them to be out there until they are. It's also a statement to more experienced players that they're not first choice here, which doesn't help their own morale either.

Nobody wants this replay, but it's our own fault. Now we have to go down there and just get the job done. We can't afford to go out of the competition to a pub side. That means doing a professional job as we did at Burton Albion. If we do that, we'll be fine, because regardless how much it inconveniences us in the short term, that's what we have to do.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #389: Jan 09, 2017 08:22:56 pm
      Keith using Metro.co.UK as any kind of reference is the best way of losing an argument and all crediblity in the process.
      Not to mention the fact he said last 10 years, then PM me a link 3 years old.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #390: Jan 09, 2017 08:24:23 pm

I am in the glass half full side too. Some people are acting like it's an empty glass.

Quick Reply