Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      84 (84%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      6 (6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: Jan 15, 2017 09:38:37 pm

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24952 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Jan 12, 2017 12:44:25 am
      Games like that happen. I agree with some experts who said that Mané's absence will hurt us because teams can pressure us higher (which they can't do with Mané' because he got speed). I am still opposed to our playing style that looks too much "ball-possessish" with too little action to get to the goal. We waste so many mintues just playing around the box, emulating Tiki-Taka.

In general we do not play good football right now. Could be just an episode, could be because we got figured out by others. We'll see....
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #438: Jan 12, 2017 12:59:21 am
      Yes. I gave Wijnaldum and Lucas 6 and I cannot honestly say Can was as poor as them. He wasn't great but he was our best midfielder of the 90 minutes. I wouldn't argue though if you insisted he was at most a 6.5.

I'm sorry but Can was by far the worst. Anfield Wrap gave him a 3/10 - that's being generous.

Incredibly poor - he was woefully out of his depth tonight, and made Sunderland's slow coaches look world class against him last week.

We have big problems if he is to start against United. Very very big problems.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #439: Jan 12, 2017 02:03:14 am
      Nice to read a bit of honesty for a change. I was expecting to come on and say well that was a load of sh*t and have half a dozen posters argue the toss and look for excuses again. That's three games on the trot now where we have been awful. It's alarming.

We were poor tonight. Very poor actually. I don't even think Southampton played particularly well either, I just think we were that bad. We were clueless going forward and we weren't exactly solid at the back either where we? Whenever Southampton broke on the counter I thought they were going to score. Don't get me wrong they are no mugs and they have a decent little team down there but I just felt we made it too easy for them. We were lucky to come away with a 1-0 loss, it could have been worse.

We're really struggling at the moment but obviously we've got half a team out. We're missing matip, hendo, coutinho and mane who are all massive players for us. We have to make do with what we've got available for the time being and just hope we can grind some results out because if we don't, our season could be over in a matter of weeks.

It's noticeable just how much we miss Hendo and Mane. Without them we have nowhere near the same levels of energy or pace and it's quite worrying. We need to either find players to fill their roles properly or have a change of tactics/set up because it's not working at the moment. 

It didn't work playing Lallana further up field. For all of the work rate and stamina he has, he lacks speed. I'm a big fan of Sturridge but he was a massive let down tonight, he didn't want to get involved or be there it seemed. We need to go with a whole different attack on Sunday.

Agree with others that having both can and Lucas in the midfield didn't work either. I actually thought Lucas did alright. Can on the other hand I thought was atrocious. I've been saying for a while he isn't good enough for us and tonight was just more evidence of that for me. Similar to Moreno, people are fooled that there is a player in him somewhere because he's quick, energetic and runs around like a headless chicken but in all honesty he is just garbage. I've said before I think his best position is actually at the back and I wouldn't mind having him as cover for clyne or the RCB possibly, but I don't want to see him start in our midfield again.

Special mention to karius who I thought kept us in the game. I was premature giving my motm vote to coutinho, if I had a proper think about it then karius is the only player tonight worthy of the vote. Phil did well when he came on though even if he was rusty. Atleast he looked like he wanted to get on the ball and make something happen.

Moving forward, we need to bring the pressing that has been so effective for us this season back into our game. It has been missing the last few games and we don't look like the same team.  So although it's a dangerous gamble, I'd bring Moreno into the team and push Milner into midfield. Moreno has a mistake in him but I don't see any other solution for the time being. We need three energetic midfielders and three energetic forwards. Jürgen has to risk coutinho too in my opinion, bring him off in the second half if he's suffering.

Mignolet

Clyne
      Lovren
      Klavan
      Moreno

Milner
      Wijnaldum
      Lallana

Firmino
      Coutinho
      Origi

I'd go with this team as often as possible until the others are back. 

We need a result on Sunday. I'd take a draw right now if I'm honest and I wouldn't have said that 4 weeks or so ago.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #440: Jan 12, 2017 02:19:02 am
      We are the luckiest team right now, our worst bit of form has come at the best time possible we have been absolutely sh*t in the last 3 games and somehow still in a good position in all competitions. We have somehow gained a point on Chelsea, FA Cup replay against Plymouth and only a goal down and at home in the league cup semi.

We could have easily been 4th in the league and out of both the cups and title race and in the usual dogfight for 4th 5th 6th position.

We this week we reached a tipping point with number of players playing out of position or being unavailable (Coutinho, Firminho, Mane, Lallana, Henderson and Matip) and it showed. I really don't think we can play worse than this!

Bright side: we now have two goalies playing fairly well... latest for now.

We desperately need a Mane replacement which will also bring Bobby back to the middle, whether that's Ojo or a new player, only the boss knows.

Excellent points here, we have definitely been in worse situations before, results haven't been great, but hell, considering all other seasons, we have been spoiled so far!
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #441: Jan 12, 2017 05:15:32 am
      love klopp as well but lately our football has been poor

todays starting lineup was just weird

can, gini, lucas?  three players that reaally are a bit more defensively focused and more importantly doesnt have that vision or footwork that we desperately need

it was shocky football really. we are lucky to get out just down 1-0.  anyone that says they parked the bus need to relook.  they had much more clear cut chances than us and penetrated our defense way more times

shocking. Jürgen go get some players as the squad we have now really needs reinforcement
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #442: Jan 12, 2017 06:01:24 am
      For the first time this season for me, we deserved to lose a game.

Southampton obviously looked at the Plymouth game, and played pacey players against our defence, knowing that if they defended resolutely they would get chances.

I think past couple of games has shown how important Hendo is for our team. When you have Lucas being our main playmaker, and Can in the same midfield, it reminds me of late rogers era, slow build up, no penetration which leads to hopeful long balls and crosses to no one.

I am sure a change of system will be put in place if Hendo is not available, as Man U will walk through us if same team lines up.

Positives for me though where Karius and Couts. Karius for me had a stellar game. Only one instance in second half I could think of where he didn't deal with a cross, and Couts looks not too off pace.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #443: Jan 12, 2017 06:07:08 am
      Second only to Milner controlling the ball on the floor with his head   :f_wah::lmao:

Millers lucky he didn't get his teeths kicked out like. Surprisingly, he won that duel but the pass kept going back and back and back

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #444: Jan 12, 2017 07:06:50 am
      We are a goal down with a full match to play,I get the impression that Southampton will not attack us as much at Anfield as they did this time.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #445: Jan 12, 2017 07:54:16 am
      Really need reinforcements.

It'll be 08/09 and 13/14 all over again if we don't.

Remember the January business we done in those seasons?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #446: Jan 12, 2017 07:58:23 am
      Second only to Milner controlling the ball on the floor with his head   :f_wah::lmao:

Funny stuff that. Haha Used to do that when I was a kid but near the goal line when I'd beaten everyone. Bend down and score a cheeky header
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #447: Jan 12, 2017 08:05:21 am
      Anaemic at the moment. Wee bad spell.

Lucas, Klavan, Clyne, Can, Bobby and Studge were all minging last night.

Upsides? - Well done to Karius - that'll have done him the world of good; Phil back on pitch and tho maybe a yard off his best looked good nonetheless.

On we go..........
      Kopite78
      Reply #448: Jan 12, 2017 08:06:25 am
      Really need reinforcements.

It'll be 08/09 and 13/14 all over again if we don't.

Remember the January business we done in those seasons?

Hopefully the flat couple of performances we have seen will make Klopp think that bringing in a potential summer signing forward even if it means overpaying some will be worth it.

If it's Brandt or Pulisic but we have to overpay...

Like I say it looks like we need a fresh face, maybe the performances of Firmino wide, Lallana out of his more effective position pushed wide will make us try to get one of those who are apparently summer targets through the door this month.

Tye squad still needs work, I think we all knew that but t was never going to happen in one window, how Klopp reshaped the squad in the summer to get so much more out of them was boardering on a miracle in my opinion... I think we are probably further on in progression than most thought at this point, but there are still a couple need moving on who don't really suit and a couple of faces needed. There's a couple in the squad who Klopp has got the max output out of in my opinion and who seem t be slightly running on empty currently. A fresh face in that front three will help with rotation

It was poor last night, we seem to be playing on heavy legs currently, the zip in the passes and the quick movement seems to have deserted a few out there. I've read that if we play like that Sunday we will get mullered, but it won't go like that Sunday because Utd won't play like that... No disrespect to Southampton, I thought they played really well, put Utd will be more front foot at the toilet and it will allow us more freedom to play like we do at our most effective.

We have had a good season so far, we need to stay with them during this flat period, it will come back I have no doubt
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #449: Jan 12, 2017 08:49:36 am
      Hopefully the flat couple of performances we have seen will make Klopp think that bringing in a potential summer signing forward even if it means overpaying some will be worth it.

If it's Brandt or Pulisic but we have to overpay...

Like I say it looks like we need a fresh face, maybe the performances of Firmino wide, Lallana out of his more effective position pushed wide will make us try to get one of those who are apparently summer targets through the door this month.

Tye squad still needs work, I think we all knew that but t was never going to happen in one window, how Klopp reshaped the squad in the summer to get so much more out of them was boardering on a miracle in my opinion... I think we are probably further on in progression than most thought at this point, but there are still a couple need moving on who don't really suit and a couple of faces needed. There's a couple in the squad who Klopp has got the max output out of in my opinion and who seem t be slightly running on empty currently. A fresh face in that front three will help with rotation

It was poor last night, we seem to be playing on heavy legs currently, the zip in the passes and the quick movement seems to have deserted a few out there. I've read that if we play like that Sunday we will get mullered, but it won't go like that Sunday because Utd won't play like that... No disrespect to Southampton, I thought they played really well, put Utd will be more front foot at the toilet and it will allow us more freedom to play like we do at our most effective.

We have had a good season so far, we need to stay with them during this flat period, it will come back I have no doubt

Hmm, here he is. Digging me out in the other thread for saying we're in poor form and will struggle.

You are a douchebag 👍
      Kopite78
      Reply #450: Jan 12, 2017 08:51:18 am
      Hmm, here he is. Digging me out in the other thread for saying we're in poor form and will struggle.

You mate are a douchebag.

Douchebag?

:D

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #451: Jan 12, 2017 08:56:54 am
      We'll do them back at Anfield.

Aye buddy I thought that a weird one too. Aren't douchebags for cleaning out wanky, manky muffs/dirty tw*ts?

Which wanky, manky muff have you 'rinsed' lately?   :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017 09:08:52 am by bad boy bubby »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #452: Jan 12, 2017 08:57:13 am
      We were poor last night - just no pace or zip

Positives :-

It was only the first leg - and the second is at Anfield
      Coutinho gott some minutes before United

Negatives :-

We missed Hendo , Matip and Mane.

Any idea when Hendo / Matip may be back ?

Having United to focus on now for Sunday is probably not a bad thing - they are flying at the moment - but it will be absolutely beautiful to stick it to them in their backyard
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #453: Jan 12, 2017 08:57:31 am
      I actually thought for a while that we had some decent depth to the squad. That was until we had to start using that depth.

We clearly cannot cope without the loss of 4 key players like Matip, Hendo, Mane and Couts but i suppose most teams couldn't.

Last night was as poor as we have been all season but that has been coming over the past few games.

Emre Can needs to have a F***ing look at himself. There was poor performances all over the pitch last night but Can was terrible. The amount of times he was caught in possession or just gave the ball away was frightening.
      And that's been coming as well!! He's been poor for weeks now. why take 1 or 2 touches when you can take 8 and either fall over the ball or just give it away.
      Unbelievable how he got 90 mins last night.

Teams who play so defensively who get 30% possession of the ball should not be creating the amount of chances that they are. That needs sorted.

Can't see us signing anyone but I think that will come back to haunt us  badly if we don't.

On a plus we can move on to Utd and a win makes us forget all about this shitey week.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #454: Jan 12, 2017 09:08:47 am
      how Klopp reshaped the squad in the summer to get so much more out of them was boardering on a miracle in my opinion

Agree.  Compared to some of the great individual players we have had over the years the fact that it is this squad that has had the best opening 20 games of a Premier League season is quite frankly astonishing.  Firmino's no Suarez, Wijnaldum's no Gerrard, Lovren's no Hyypia, Migs/Karius are no Reina at his peak etc etc.

Squad is thin - doesn't take too many injuries or a knock to the confidence for us to look weakened because we then haven't got the players to bring in.  There was very little on the bench last night.

We had that pre Christmas wobble - bucked our ideas up for a few games and now we have another wobble.  Got a feeling that may be the picture for the rest of the season sadly until we hopefully strengthen again next season.

Last night was more disappointing for me than the Plymouth game because last night we could have really taken a tonking.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #455: Jan 12, 2017 09:27:48 am
      Poor performance, devoid of pace and ideas.
      There was just no tempo to our play and for that i blame our midfield trio. Can and Gini were very poor, Lucas tried hard and i thought as DM did his job reasonably well...he seemed to play the most forward passes too, which compounds how poor the other two were.
      I thought that the Saints defence also coped very well with the front 3, as Sturridge and Firmino didnt get into the game at all.
      Well done to Karius (my Motm), for keeping us in this tie. We can now look forward to a second leg with im sure a very much improved performance.

Special mention to Van Dijk, who really looks an impressive defender.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #456: Jan 12, 2017 09:31:54 am
      An indication of how poorly we played last night.

https://twitter.com/DanKennett/status/819302902200172544
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #457: Jan 12, 2017 09:47:10 am

Surprised you put that up with Lucas only being on 1.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #458: Jan 12, 2017 09:56:09 am
      LFC 586 passes (86% accurate)

Southampton 228 passes (72% accurate).

Didn't seem like that did it.

Thought Sturridge was grim - be surprised if he's picked on Sunday - especially if Coutinho is ready to start. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #459: Jan 12, 2017 09:59:41 am
      LFC 586 passes (86% accurate)

Southampton 228 passes (72% accurate).

Didn't seem like that did it.

Thought Sturridge was grim - be surprised if he's picked on Sunday - especially if Coutinho is ready to start. 

It felt like we made thousands of passes to be honest. All around the start of the final third area.

Also, shout out to the weapon that gave MotM to Can.

Quick Reply