Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      84 (84%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      6 (6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: Jan 15, 2017 09:38:37 pm

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25274 times
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Re: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Jan 12, 2017 10:01:37 am
      Voted Lovren MOTM purely for the headed clearence. Only for that couldn't pick one.
      All round piss poor team performance.Anyway last night means fcuk all come Sunday!!!!!!
      Its still only half time in this one where as Sunday its an all out scrap to the death.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #461: Jan 12, 2017 10:10:38 am
      Voted Lovren MOTM purely for the headed clearence. Only for that couldn't pick one.

You mean the one that came off the bar and hit him on the tit? :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #462: Jan 12, 2017 10:18:20 am
      Surprised you put that up with Lucas only being on 1.

Lucas has weaknesses but he doesn't tend to get dispossessed that easily.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #463: Jan 12, 2017 10:37:37 am
      You mean the one that came off the bar and hit him on the tit? :D
      Ha ya beat me to it .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #464: Jan 12, 2017 10:45:21 am
      LFC 586 passes (86% accurate)

Southampton 228 passes (72% accurate).

Didn't seem like that did it.

Thought Sturridge was grim - be surprised if he's picked on Sunday - especially if Coutinho is ready to start. 
      If it was a game of death by passes we would walk it unfortunately most of our passing  was for the the most part  aimless and mostly pointless and the pairing of Lucas and Can mind blowing .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #465: Jan 12, 2017 11:26:07 am
      All round piss poor team performance.Anyway last night means fcuk all come Sunday!!!!!!
      Its still only half time in this one where as Sunday its an all out scrap to the death.

Lovren? He was all over the show.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #466: Jan 12, 2017 11:34:12 am
      Quote from JD
      LFC 586 passes (86% accurate)

Didn't seem like that did it.

What is the difference between a pass and an "accurate pass"? Surely the point of a pass is that it is accurate, otherwise it's possession lost?

Poor performance, but it's a 1st leg away game, the whole point of it is to bring home a score we can live with, and the score is very retrievable at home.

We've all been here before. Palace 2001, Sheffield United 2003, even Southampton 1987, where poor results at this stage away were put right at home. Do it again, and this game can be forgotten.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #467: Jan 12, 2017 12:53:39 pm
      hard to draw positives, but i can't ever remember us making a two legged semi final return at Anfield easy...that isnt us.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #468: Jan 12, 2017 02:39:37 pm
      Thank goodness for a second leg, and that we limited them to 1 goal. We were so poor offensively, with no creativity and one half chance. Studge was in concrete, Firmino is no where near as effective out wide as he is through the middle, and Lallana belongs in the midfield three. Thought Lucas did well but we miss Hendo's coverage and quick ball retention/movement. Can was miserable, again, in my opinion and I forgot Gini was on the pitch. Biggest positive was Karius, by far his best performance and wouldn't be surprised to see him against United. We're stuck in neutral at the moment it seems. At least Couts is back in action.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #469: Jan 12, 2017 02:58:37 pm
      One of our lowest quality performances of the season and it highlights just why we'll miss Mane so much. We have so little pace in this side without him that we become much less of a threat on the sides or to get in behind.

Sturridge, for all his quality showed exactly why he isn't making the first XI and that is, unfortunately, his pace is gone. Without that threat he becomes much more easily managed by defenders and ends up having to drop deeper and deeper to receive the ball. At times he was in the centre circle trying to get the ball, now those who will try to defend those actions as trying to influence the play are reaching far too hard, it's quite simply poor play from your central striker.

We need to get Bobby back in the middle, we've lost our fluidity, not just with Coutinho out but without Bobby's movement and dictation of the opposition's play we're simply giving up far too much to get Origi or Sturridge into the side. In the centre of the park I'm completely disillusioned by Can, I thought he had the potential to kick on this season but he's regressed quite markedly in my book and right now I don't see a long term future for him. Sure he's chipped in with the odd goal but his overall play has been consistently poor for a long time now. He's had plenty of time to get over his pre-season injuries/lack of fitness and should be well up to speed and he just isn't contributing positively enough. In similar ways I look at Wijnaldum although he does offer more protection on the ball it's time he started producing so much more. Again, away from home, he puts in a performance that is only noticeable by his absence. Lucas, in my opinion, was our best midfielder on the night, his distribution was excellent in the first half and was only shown up for his lack of pace, which we all accept. Other than those couple of occasions I thought he played quite decently.

At the back Milner is continuously crossing to nobody and Clyne is doing the same from the other side, it's frustrating as hell but in terms of defending Clyne is starting to deteriorate also. He should have covered his man when Klavan missed the clearance. Now everyone will jump on Klavan's back but Lovren tries to cover and fail and Clyne totally screws up his role in the side, in fact so poorly he again made himself insignificant. It's much like his performance recently, if you make yourself that far away from the correct position that you're unnoticeable then people might make that mistake, but not for me. He's been very poor recently and I think these are our two key areas to improve. They both get gifted the lion's share of possession and what they achieve with the ball is frankly not good enough, not even close.

Karius played well, the first 1v1 save was excellent, looking at the second from a different angle and I agree with WAHS he's expected to make that save but it is a shame for him to be let down so poorly by 3 of his defenders to be exposed so massively by Redmond. Can't blame him on the goal at all, it was a simple finish.

Moving forward I'd love to know what is going on with Grujic, doesn't make the bench, doesn't really get mentioned at all. I thought he showed plenty of promise in pre-season and right now both Can and Wijnaldum look completely open to being dropped. Without question we move Bobby back into the centre, he brings so much more to the side from there. We can try Origi from wide left if Coutinho isn't up to starting yet, his pace should at least bring a little doubt into defences and of course, as soon as we can, get Cou back into the side.

Thankfully only half-time in this one and we can rectify all this without suffering too much, time for action is now and I'm sure Jürgen will make the required changes. When he does we'll trash these at Anfield.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #470: Jan 12, 2017 03:40:38 pm
      One of our lowest quality performances of the season and it highlights just why we'll miss Mane so much. We have so little pace in this side without him that we become much less of a threat on the sides or to get in behind.

Sturridge, for all his quality showed exactly why he isn't making the first XI and that is, unfortunately, his pace is gone. Without that threat he becomes much more easily managed by defenders and ends up having to drop deeper and deeper to receive the ball. At times he was in the centre circle trying to get the ball, now those who will try to defend those actions as trying to influence the play are reaching far too hard, it's quite simply poor play from your central striker.

We need to get Bobby back in the middle, we've lost our fluidity, not just with Coutinho out but without Bobby's movement and dictation of the opposition's play we're simply giving up far too much to get Origi or Sturridge into the side. In the centre of the park I'm completely disillusioned by Can, I thought he had the potential to kick on this season but he's regressed quite markedly in my book and right now I don't see a long term future for him. Sure he's chipped in with the odd goal but his overall play has been consistently poor for a long time now. He's had plenty of time to get over his pre-season injuries/lack of fitness and should be well up to speed and he just isn't contributing positively enough. In similar ways I look at Wijnaldum although he does offer more protection on the ball it's time he started producing so much more. Again, away from home, he puts in a performance that is only noticeable by his absence. Lucas, in my opinion, was our best midfielder on the night, his distribution was excellent in the first half and was only shown up for his lack of pace, which we all accept. Other than those couple of occasions I thought he played quite decently.

At the back Milner is continuously crossing to nobody and Clyne is doing the same from the other side, it's frustrating as hell but in terms of defending Clyne is starting to deteriorate also. He should have covered his man when Klavan missed the clearance. Now everyone will jump on Klavan's back but Lovren tries to cover and fail and Clyne totally screws up his role in the side, in fact so poorly he again made himself insignificant. It's much like his performance recently, if you make yourself that far away from the correct position that you're unnoticeable then people might make that mistake, but not for me. He's been very poor recently and I think these are our two key areas to improve. They both get gifted the lion's share of possession and what they achieve with the ball is frankly not good enough, not even close.

Karius played well, the first 1v1 save was excellent, looking at the second from a different angle and I agree with WAHS he's expected to make that save but it is a shame for him to be let down so poorly by 3 of his defenders to be exposed so massively by Redmond. Can't blame him on the goal at all, it was a simple finish.

Moving forward I'd love to know what is going on with Grujic, doesn't make the bench, doesn't really get mentioned at all. I thought he showed plenty of promise in pre-season and right now both Can and Wijnaldum look completely open to being dropped. Without question we move Bobby back into the centre, he brings so much more to the side from there. We can try Origi from wide left if Coutinho isn't up to starting yet, his pace should at least bring a little doubt into defences and of course, as soon as we can, get Cou back into the side.

Thankfully only half-time in this one and we can rectify all this without suffering too much, time for action is now and I'm sure Jürgen will make the required changes. When he does we'll trash these at Anfield.

Grujic just returned to training in the last few days after a lingering injury (hamstring I think).

No reason to echo all the disappointment on here, although I share it.

I will say that while I'm still bullish on our title chances, I don't think this LIiverpool team wins a championship is Emre Can continues as a first-team regular.  I don't know what has happened to him. I saw him as promising before, but he seems to have regressed and can just about start a clinic on creative ways to give the ball away. Henderson, Gini and Lallana should be our first choice midfield 3, and if one of them is out, I'd rather give Stewart an extended run than to keep hurting ourselves with Emre.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #471: Jan 12, 2017 03:41:30 pm
      Grujic just returned to training in the last few days after a lingering injury (hamstring I think).

Ah fair enough Robby, cheers for the update, I wasn't aware of that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #472: Jan 12, 2017 03:43:41 pm
      Ah fair enough Robby, cheers for the update, I wasn't aware of that.

I'm hoping he can be involved in the FA Cup replay, as I agree with you he looked promising in preseason.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #473: Jan 12, 2017 04:15:03 pm

No reason to echo all the disappointment on here, although I share it.

I will say that while I'm still bullish on our title chances, I don't think this LIiverpool team wins a championship is Emre Can continues as a first-team regular.  I don't know what has happened to him. I saw him as promising before, but he seems to have regressed and can just about start a clinic on creative ways to give the ball away. Henderson, Gini and Lallana should be our first choice midfield 3, and if one of them is out, I'd rather give Stewart an extended run than to keep hurting ourselves with Emre.

I don't think any middle ground exists with Can. He's either really, really good, or really, really bad. Unfortunately at the moment it's the latter. Four victories in the last nine games, compared to seven in the previous nine, proves we can't be relying on the under 23s to flesh out the squad. We need top class players competing for every position on the field. Injuries to Coutinho, Matip and Henderson, and Mane's AFCON call up have exposed the thiness of our squad. The focus this Summer has to be in improving that with experienced, high quality talent, not more 'ones for the future'.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #474: Jan 13, 2017 05:28:13 am
      Still win-less in 2017.

Better buck our ideas up or our season will be over by Feb.

#Gengenpuffedwithasmallsquad.

Quick Reply