Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Thought experiment

Read 3308 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 692 posts | 46 
      Thought experiment
      Jan 13, 2017 07:41:23 pm
      Let's do a thought experiment: A sponsor offers LFC tons of top players: Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, name it and let's assume LFC could indeed win 10 titles in a row, 3-peat CL. What would u be willing to sacrifice for such a sponsor?

Firing Klopp and the whole current squad?
      Renaming Anfield Road after the sponsor?
      Renaming LFC and instead e.g. Liverpool Google or Liverpool Red Bull?
      Accepting someone like ISIS as the (silent!) sponsor (let's pretend they could sponsor somehow)?

Where would u personally draw the line and say: Success or not, this is what has to be untouched, no matter what?

For me it would be all points above unacceptable and I would not anymore be a fan if it happened. What about you? Where is your border line where u would strongly consider not to continue to be a fan of this club?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Thought experiment
      Reply #1: Jan 13, 2017 07:45:16 pm
      WTF?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2: Jan 13, 2017 07:50:29 pm
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #3: Jan 13, 2017 07:57:44 pm
      How bizarre
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #4: Jan 13, 2017 08:10:41 pm
      Who let you out of the shire?..

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Jan 13, 2017 08:39:27 pm
      Let's do a thought experiment: A sponsor offers LFC tons of top players: Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, name it and let's assume LFC could indeed win 10 titles in a row, 3-peat CL. What would u be willing to sacrifice for such a sponsor?

Firing Klopp and the whole current squad?
      Renaming Anfield Road after the sponsor?
      Renaming LFC and instead e.g. Liverpool Google or Liverpool Red Bull?
      Accepting someone like ISIS as the (silent!) sponsor (let's pretend they could sponsor somehow)?

Where would u personally draw the line and say: Success or not, this is what has to be untouched, no matter what?

For me it would be all points above unacceptable and I would not anymore be a fan if it happened. What about you? Where is your border line where u would strongly consider not to continue to be a fan of this club?

At least it was a shot at something different.

10 league titles and a 3-peat of the CL, then sacking Klopp and the entire squad would be a simple yes. I believe he will lay the ground works for a very successful period but 10 league titles and 3 CL back to back is beyond even my dreams at the moment.

Renaming Anfield Road after the sponsor - I'd have no issue with that.

Renaming LFC - This is where my line would probably be drawn. I support the club before any one man, player or stand. So no I wouldn't be prepared to alter the name of the club to buy success.

Accepting a terrorist organisation as a sponsor (think this is where you got some of your responses above :lmao: ), even if anyone would accept this which I doubt with great certainty they're never going to admit it here anyway surely. Although it's an interesting way of outing any potential sympathisers hidden in the crowd! Definitely not on this point.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Jan 13, 2017 09:12:27 pm
      I'd sack Klopp and any manager/ player in the world  for 10 league titles and 3 CL titles!!!

But then I'm struggling to think where that choice will ever arise so Kloppo can breathe easy.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #7: Jan 13, 2017 09:23:04 pm
      Interesting. Well, ISIS is just an example, again it's purely hypothetical, we could also name "TheSun" or any org. you REALLY despise.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2017 12:46:31 am
      Would a member of ISIS sit on the transfer committee is the big question and would the sudden signing of 72 virgins raise eyebrows?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2017 12:56:45 am
      Would a member of ISIS sit on the transfer committee is the big question and would the sudden signing of 72 virgins raise eyebrows?

:D

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2017 01:34:25 am
      I've seen a few amazingly baffling threads started on here over the years, I think this tops them all. Congrats, I guess? :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2017 03:11:17 am

*Shabs rubs his hands*
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2017 06:51:45 am
      Well, at least why you've got -9 has been cleared up.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2017 12:42:56 pm
      Well, at least why you've got -9 has been cleared up.

Maybe, couldn't care less. To say one would cut Klopp & this squad for the very sake of success shows the mutual business-like attitude: players/coaches don't care and just play for the money, fans don't care they just want success/entertainment. I wonder what makes us so proud of this club if everything is just fake, i.e. business. I guess you have to have some cognitive dissonance to move on.

Quick Reply