Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Simon Mignolet
      92 (73.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      14 (11.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.8%)
      James Milner
      3 (2.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (2.4%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Jan 19, 2017 05:52:24 pm

Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 38087 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Jan 16, 2017 01:44:31 pm
      Felicia? Wow you just keep talking more and more crap don't you.

Tell us again how a point away to a rampant Utd team when we were missing half our defence and 2 key attackers was a bad result?

Maybe you are ok with "moral" victories, but I am not. I was unaware that Liverpool Football Club hung it's hat on "tough away points".

These are the kinds of games that title winning teams win.  If you disagree, then you are delusional. I get that people want to put a nice shiny bow on a pile of dog sh*t to try and make themselves feel better, but in all honesty, we were lucky to get a point. They were at us the whole game, believe Mikywhatshisface missed two easy opportunities as did Pogba. This could have easily been a drubbing, would you have been making the same excuses then? In case anyone hasn't noticed, we are in a bit of a slump...you can blame it on whatever you want, make any excuses you want but it's still a slump.  All teams are missing players, all teams have injuries, other than the blatant bottling by the twit of a referee, we did not play well. I'm calling a spade a spade....you call all tell me how stupid I am and reactionary and what not, I don't really care. I only care about us winning and lately we've not been doing enough of that and sue me, but I'm pissed about it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #806: Jan 16, 2017 01:53:37 pm
      I get what you're saying FL, we ARE in a bit of slump/blip at the moment. Yesterday WAS better, but as you say we could quite easily have lost it and lost it comfortably. That said we could have won it with a couple of goals to spare too, and given our somewhat depleted ranks and the fact they were absolutely desperate for a win, it was a decent performance and a very good point IMHO. Put it this way, Chelsea have still to go there and I'm sure if you offered them the option of taking a point right now and not bothering travelling, they'd bite your hand off. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #807: Jan 16, 2017 01:55:48 pm
      Maybe you are ok with "moral" victories, but I am not. I was unaware that Liverpool Football Club hung it's hat on "tough away points".

These are the kinds of games that title winning teams win.  If you disagree, then you are delusional. I get that people want to put a nice shiny bow on a pile of dog sh*t to try and make themselves feel better, but in all honesty, we were lucky to get a point. They were at us the whole game, believe Mikywhatshisface missed two easy opportunities as did Pogba. This could have easily been a drubbing, would you have been making the same excuses then? In case anyone hasn't noticed, we are in a bit of a slump...you can blame it on whatever you want, make any excuses you want but it's still a slump.  All teams are missing players, all teams have injuries, other than the blatant bottling by the twit of a referee, we did not play well. I'm calling a spade a spade....you call all tell me how stupid I am and reactionary and what not, I don't really care. I only care about us winning and lately we've not been doing enough of that and sue me, but I'm pissed about it.

It's not a case if moral victories,  it's just simply the ups and downs of a league season. No team wins every game and to tough out a result at probably your biggest rival is vital in a league season, bar three years ago when they were garbage and we were flying I can't ever remember an easy game at their place, it's always a battle and yes before a ball is kicked a point is a good point

You talk of all these chances they had but neglect to talk about chances we had to go two up...

Most teams would love our current slump,  14 pts out of 18 in the league

w*nk us

We won loads of titles in the 70s and 80s yet didn't have a great record against Utd overall so the type of games title winners win?  No such thing really.. when Utd were winning titles in the 90s we had a good record against them

Title winners just get more points than the other teams

You'd probably say Chelsea will win the league this season? Well they've lost against us, Arsenal and Spurs.. you'd think those were the types of games title winners would win no?

A nice bow of a turd? Hyperbole much?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #808: Jan 16, 2017 02:12:07 pm
      He had to award the penalty it was intentional and so f**king obvious, if he hadn't he would be reffing Championship for a good few games.
      He gave them cu*ts the game on a plate subsequently.

Thing is Stu that the World and Its Dog saw what went on with the fouls and the shirt pulling.

A team in desperation. 

We know the truth  and the Scum know the truth. Sometimes that is all that is needed.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #809: Jan 16, 2017 02:14:29 pm

Ive been frustrated with certain peoples posts on here in recent weeks who blatantly make excuses up as you say, but I think you're being a little bit harsh on our performance yesterday.

Whereas I accept we gave the ball away more than usual and we weren't exactly electrifying going forward, I thought for most parts we defended reasonably well and it was very pleasing to see our energy and tempo levels back. At times, we really harassed or bullied United and had 2, 3 or even 4 men around their player in possession.  For me, the pressing has been missing in our last few games so it was great to see it back.

Migs bailed us out a couple of times yes but that's what he is there to do, Courtois makes 2 or 3 top saves every week, so does De Gea, Lloris and Cech. If City had a half decent keeper they would probably be in the top 2, he has cost them half a dozen or so games this season.  Its unrealistic to think the opposition wont have any chances at all in 90 minutes.

I think you need to take the opposition into consideration here too. This wasn't Sunderland away, Plymouth at home or even Southampton away. This was of course the mancs, our biggest rival who are on a tremendous run at the moment it must be said and we were playing at their ground.

Hand on heart I wouldn't have taken a point before the game, mainly because of Chelseas, Tottenhams and Arsenals results and because I believe we are a much better side than Man U too.  Considering we took the lead and then conceded late on because of a bad call from an official who was 5 yards out of position (and also if we're being honest we switched off at the back) then it does leave a bad feeling, I feel robbed almost, so looking at the big picture then I don't think a draw was a good result for us, I agree with you there.

Performance wise though I was pretty happy with us. The lads worked their socks off and we wanted it more than them in my opinion. Only one team tried to play football too and it wasn't them. Rooney should have seen red and their goal should have been called offside.  Any other day we go home with 3 points there.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #810: Jan 16, 2017 03:37:22 pm
      These are the kinds of games that title winning teams win.  If you disagree, then you are delusional.

They're not actually.  They're the kind of games that title winning sides tend not to lose.

Leicester last year. 1-1.
      Chelsea the year before. 1-1.

Getting a point away at the 5 other top 6 sides is a decent result.  As it is we've got 8 points out of 12 with only Man City still to play away. A very decent return. 

You can look at away at Bournemouth, Burnley, Sunderland and Southampton and even the home points against United as possibly poor points dropped but the two draws away at United and Spurs are decent results.

That's not being delusional.
      Kopite78
      Reply #811: Jan 16, 2017 03:41:53 pm
      Just heard we kept Utd to their second least amount of shots on goal for the season

Know who they had less than yesterday against? 

Us at Anfield

Not bad for a sh*te defensive side and a team who's keeper kept them in it
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #812: Jan 16, 2017 03:43:44 pm

You'll being telling me next that we played our two biggest derbies away and a top four team at home amongst that.

2.33 points per game.  Serious slump in form that.

Why can't it be more like last season and 1.58 points per game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #813: Jan 16, 2017 04:12:11 pm

And yet in your assessment you conveniently leave out the obvious chances that we had to score the second. Your reactionary hysterics read like a Donald Trump speech.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #814: Jan 16, 2017 04:13:19 pm

You'll being telling me next that we played our two biggest derbies away and a top four team at home amongst that.

2.33 points per game.  Serious slump in form that.

Why can't it be more like last season and 1.58 points per game.

And admittedly we have not been playing that well, but then that is what title winning/good sides do is finding ways to snatch points when things are not going all that well.

This is probably one of the best teams we have had in a decade, we have one of the best managers in the world on a long term contract and were tied for 2nd in the league and in both cup competitions.

You'd think by the sound of some on here the world was crashing down upon us.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #815: Jan 16, 2017 04:20:31 pm
      I'd settle for a point every time. Thought we deserved all three but then what do you expect with incompetent officials. Even Match of the day got in on the act- not showing Valencia's offside, and not showing Potato head's over the top foul on Milner. Rooney should've been sent off straight red but not even a yellow card.

Well played red men, even without our stars a great result.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #816: Jan 16, 2017 05:32:19 pm
      And yet in your assessment you conveniently leave out the obvious chances that we had to score the second. Your reactionary hysterics read like a Donald Trump speech.

What the hell does Donald Trump have to do with anything? You certainly are an odd bird.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #817: Jan 16, 2017 05:36:29 pm
      What the hell does Donald Trump have to do with anything? You certainly are an odd bird.

Your a bit too old for this down in the hood lingo FL.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #818: Jan 16, 2017 05:42:44 pm
      Your a bit too old for this down in the hood lingo FL.

Be nice HSc...that movie was 22 years ago and still rocks for us in the older crowd.  :)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #819: Jan 16, 2017 06:11:05 pm
      I'd settle for a point every time. Thought we deserved all three but then what do you expect with incompetent officials. Even Match of the day got in on the act- not showing Valencia's offside, and not showing Potato head's over the top foul on Milner. Rooney should've been sent off straight red but not even a yellow card.

Well played red men, even without our stars a great result.

FML. that kind of attitude will keep our trophy cabinet empty. I settle for nothing but three points. Hell, I demand they go out and get three points! To do otherwise is to settle for second place or lower in the league. It wasn't a good result, it was a terrible result. We're third. Third. The only place I want Liverpool to be is looking down on the rest of the league and laughing at their futile attempts to catch them. You're first or you're nowhere, that's the nature of competitive sport. Far too much of this complacent crap has creeped into our supporter base.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #820: Jan 16, 2017 06:57:32 pm

Ok I'm going to be the one who asks....can someone explain this Felicia reference, all I know it as is the model of my first car :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #821: Jan 16, 2017 07:01:12 pm
      Ok I'm going to be the one who asks....can someone explain this Felicia reference, all I know it as is the model of my first car :D

From the movie "Friday"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RppZW1-y8Ts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #822: Jan 16, 2017 07:02:22 pm

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bye-felicia

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #823: Jan 17, 2017 12:31:21 am
      Just heard we kept Utd to their second least amount of shots on goal for the season

Know who they had less than yesterday against? 

Us at Anfield

Not bad for a sh*te defensive side and a team who's keeper kept them in it

I read that too .

Also saw an analysis about their goal.

Linesmen was in wrong place ...... along the line Valencia was defo offside .
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #824: Jan 17, 2017 02:41:18 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      FML. that kind of attitude will keep our trophy cabinet empty. I settle for nothing but three points. Hell, I demand they go out and get three points! To do otherwise is to settle for second place or lower in the league. It wasn't a good result, it was a terrible result. We're third. Third. The only place I want Liverpool to be is looking down on the rest of the league and laughing at their futile attempts to catch them. You're first or you're nowhere.

1 Year ago..... We lost there.
      10 Years ago. We lost there.
      20 Years ago. We lost there.
      30 Years ago. We lost there.

This year, we got a result. Maybe not the ideal result, but better than the usual there.

In normal seasons, our points tally would be much nearer the top. Next week, we get the chance to close the gap further, and then see how the rest get on. Over the next few weeks, the others around us will play each other, so we'll get some favours from those games. We just have to keep plugging away to take advantage of them.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #825: Jan 17, 2017 02:49:43 am

I think you have to contextualise the result FL.

Personally, I wasn't looking forward to this on the back of our win-less 2017 run which obviously still remains. The Southampton performance was turgid and arguably our worst performance of the season. So, for me, going into this game confidence in the team was pretty low.

Plus, we are pretty much onto the bare bones of our squad with key players missing. You are right in what you say, that other teams miss players. I do agree with your sentiments on this. I remember what some said if Costa was out of the Chelsea side for any given period - apparently Chelsea's results would suffer. They played Eden Hazard in his place instead, some f**king loss eh. And they've still managed to maintain their good results pretty much. Okay, they haven't lost as many players as we have but their squad does have more depth in it in terms of quality.

We simply don't have the squad. I read a post where the squad isn't apparently 'thread bare', well it isn't if there are bodies still in it, but the quality simply isn't and that's a fact. When you're relying on teenagers to come in with little or no experience and compare this to the side Manchester United fielded against Reading in the FA cup, or the players other teams around us can call upon, then in comparison of quality the squad is indeed thread bare. This is our own fault and nobody else's, and I'm not using it as an excuse for our recent results like others will - we made our bed and now we have to lie in it. Klopp seems content with this, even though he did admit that he's juggling the team now with what can only be inferred as him having limited options to chose from. But if he's happy with the situation, he can't really complain about the lack of depth in the squad. That doesn't mean supporters amongst the fan base 'can't' complain with re. to the lack of squad depth - that's their right to a reasonable opinion, but it is 'Klopp's opinion that only counts'.

However, unlike the Southampton display the desire and energy that has clearly been missing was back, so while the result wasn't that great for you, you've surely got to admit the performance was better in that respect, right?

Yes, they could have been out of sight, similar to Southampton and yes we didn't have the quality on the ball to really ever dictate, control and thus create that many chances but the fundamental was there - which is the desire to gut it out. I think the lads should be buoyed from that and hopefully will take it into our next home game against Swansea where hopefully their swagger on the ball returns. From this game (Swansea) we'll be able to see whether the fixture of Manchester United V Liverpool game was a one-off game raiser under Mancunian/Liverpudlian circumstances, or whether it is indeed a springboard for the attacking intensity we've already exhibited earlier on this season. I'm hopeful it's the latter.

So, when all is said and done, the quality wasn't really there but the desire was and we looked more interested for want of a better word, than we have done previously. They were the positives for me, and the fact we came away from Castle GreySkull with something, at least was again something positive given the context of it all.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017 03:02:51 am by Beerbelly »
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #826: Jan 17, 2017 06:29:56 am
      They're not actually.  They're the kind of games that title winning sides tend not to lose.

Leicester last year. 1-1.
      Chelsea the year before. 1-1.

Getting a point away at the 5 other top 6 sides is a decent result.  As it is we've got 8 points out of 12 with only Man City still to play away. A very decent return. 

You can look at away at Bournemouth, Burnley, Sunderland and Southampton and even the home points against United as possibly poor points dropped but the two draws away at United and Spurs are decent results.

That's not being delusional.
      We were technically done out of 4 points out of the Man Utd and Spurs game by rotten positioning of the Assistant Referee, Valencia offside and the fantastic goal at Spurs which was correctly offside but not from where Assistant Referee was standing
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #827: Jan 17, 2017 09:28:45 am
      Look I understand about the goal being offside and the upset i caused, But at the end of the day these things go for you and against you at times, that's the nature of the game, aside from that we simple did not do enough to win the game... We made very little chances and those we did make either we lacked the quality or, and, the composure to put them away...

Think that the big differences here was that by the time Man Utd bought on Mata they had re-enforce their front line, We bought on Coutinho and traded one attacking player for another.... and that Mane was a massive miss for us... said it before, When Klopp has all his starting players there we purr, take one away we shutter along, we are lacking the quality in dept we need, and we are luck at this point that Man City are shuttering too... Beginning of the season I said that we were in a fight to finish 3rd or 4th did not take into account the Chelsea resurgence or how much we would miss Mane... Need to find a plan "B" 

Quick Reply