Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1%)
      James Milner
      5 (5.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (2.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      81 (83.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: Jan 25, 2017 02:23:56 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Swansea City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31573 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Swansea City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Jan 21, 2017 03:54:08 pm
      I honestly think Charlie Adam was a better midfielder. I wonder if Can wouldn't have been better off being developed as a ball playing central defender. Lots of players waste their careers being mediocre because they're not in the position most suited to them - Adriano used to be a left back until a coach decided to play him up top, for example. I feel Can simply isn't up to the task of being a central midfielder in the Premier League.

Were his best performances for us as a CB and full back?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #645: Jan 21, 2017 03:55:39 pm
      That second goal by Firmino was surely one of the best I've seen all season at Anfield. One of the very few positives of freezing to death at Anfield to watch a defeat to the club bottom of the table. At one point I could barely feel my feet.

I was out watching 14 seven year olds chase a ball in West Kirby this morning.

I swear my dick was completely inside my ball bag.
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017 04:16:44 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #646: Jan 21, 2017 03:57:39 pm
      I was out watching 14 seven year olds cause a ball in West Kirby this morning.

:lmao:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #647: Jan 21, 2017 04:00:48 pm
      Were his best performances for us as a CB and full back?

I think probably so? We had a good period with him at the back when Rodgers switched to a back 3. I don't remember him playing CB in a line of four though. He also had some good games in the UEL by the end of last season, but even so far too hit and miss. He has very good attributes and some natural talent, he's bound to have good performances once in a while. I just don't see him ever becoming a regular top performer as midfielder in the Premier League.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #648: Jan 21, 2017 04:03:12 pm
      I'd replace them all for the next game and I include the manager and coaches in that too.

Clearly none of them have what it takes.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #649: Jan 21, 2017 04:03:37 pm
      Straight swap Sakho for Fonte would have looked good right about now.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #650: Jan 21, 2017 04:06:18 pm
      Here were I am at the moment... Said at the start of the season that we were in a battle for 3rd or 4th spot, but after the last three results (not counting the Man Utd game) really not sure we can get the 4th spot unless things change drastically...

Sick of seeing a bench comprised of Sturrigde and Origi, both of whom offer very,very little at present... Sturridge is on a downward spiral and should be sold while we can still get a decent fee for him (and "IF" FSG lets us, reinvest it)...

Origi Has simply gone backwards and will not progress without a decent run in the side,but will not get that as long as Sturridge is about... I Would sooner see Wilson and Woodburn be given their chance... At least they would show more fight,drive and passion for the shirt...

Need to to sometimes play more direct football and have a bit more urgency to our game
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #651: Jan 21, 2017 04:07:52 pm
      The way i see it and not sure if anybody has thought of it already, but something we can do, is to drop Klavan and put the much maligned Can into centre back.

That gives is a ball playing CB, drops Klavan out of the team, allows Lallana into midfield, and can bring us Sturridge, Origo or Ojo (pace) into the side.

Has to be worth looking at?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #652: Jan 21, 2017 04:08:21 pm
      Adam Lallana belongs in the centre of midfield. Klopps keeps making the same mistake over and over now. Hendo, Gini and Lallana in midfield is the reason we've been winning games above other things. Don't reinvent the wheel. Can needs to be dropped, and has needed to be dropped for a while. I think he'll come back strong but for now, no use.

Jürgen takes the blame here as much as the players. I don't like saying it, but it needs to be said.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #653: Jan 21, 2017 04:11:15 pm

Sturridge has been poor in his cameos. He will be gone in the Summer.  Firmino scored two.

People need to aim at the defence here.

The back four was shocking.

Don't think that the back four were... Totally agree with the Sturridge point
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,056 posts | 343 
      Reply #654: Jan 21, 2017 04:17:55 pm
      All this bollocks about playing Sturridge in to form f**k that why should we pander around him he had 70 mins against a league 2 side had no shot on goal 40 minutes today I don't recall him touching the ball 4 times.

What's all that about?

I'll tell you.

He's got just about the best starts to goals record of any LFC striker but we don't pick him, so he gets the odd 15 minutes here and there.  No way to find form and confidence - two commodities every striker needs to function effectively.  Also, in the Plymouth game he got no service from an inexperienced team and was never found by a pass when making any of his runs and movements. 

If you want to win titles, you 'pander' as you so emotively put it, to your best striker.  We should be playing to his strengths and picking him to start.  Firmino, for all his qualities and pressing, just isn't going to get 1 goal every 2 starts.  Origi isn't. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #655: Jan 21, 2017 04:19:29 pm
      That's Anfield in January I suppose. Was at the West Ham cup tie at the end of January last year with brother and sister. Genuinely, I have never been so cold in all my life...and I was born in Shetland. Would make a good training centre for Antarctic explorers!

The weather was OK for Plymouth but today it was just freezing! Yesterday I thought "12:30 kick-off, hopefully it'll be sunny and nice"... well, I couldn't have been more wrong. I've never felt so cold in a football stadium. I'm going to visit York tomorrow and I'm already regretting the decision. I bet tomorrow will be freezing as well.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #656: Jan 21, 2017 04:19:58 pm
      So, Can is the answer in midfield is he?

And how's Sturridge's goal record at this club?

Class is permanent.

And when the sh*t hit the fan, Klopp couldn't get Sturridge on quick enough.

And as for your Match plan comment  Do me a favour, one CB in and one out throws our "plan" into chaos. Yeah right.

Our plan looked as though we were set-up to be pedestrian again, and concede 3 goals. F***ing plan.

Keegan,Barns,Rush,Fowler all where had "Class" and all would struggle now as is Daniel Sturridge...

And when the sh*t hit the fan, Klopp couldn't get Sturridge on quick enough.

And we looked worse for it
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,056 posts | 343 
      Reply #657: Jan 21, 2017 04:20:29 pm
      The way i see it and not sure if anybody has thought of it already, but something we can do, is to drop Klavan and put the much maligned Can into centre back.

That gives is a ball playing CB, drops Klavan out of the team, allows Lallana into midfield, and can bring us Sturridge, Origo or Ojo (pace) into the side.

Has to be worth looking at?

I'd look at it, for sure.  BR sometimes had Can at CB in a three, and it had its moments, although the consensus then was that he should have been in midfield! 

Worry is that Can's weaknesses in speed of thought and turn, will still be weaknesses when he's a CB!

Then again, we've got a pretty reasonable CB sitting at home with the TV on.  Perhaps we should try talking to Mr Sakho.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #658: Jan 21, 2017 04:24:05 pm
      I'd look at it, for sure.  BR sometimes had Can at CB in a three, and it had its moments, although the consensus then was that he should have been in midfield! 

Worry is that Can's weaknesses in speed of thought and turn, will still be weaknesses when he's a CB!

Then again, we've got a pretty reasonable CB sitting at home with the TV on.  Perhaps we should try talking to Mr Sakho.

Even better stick Matip in there.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #659: Jan 21, 2017 04:24:36 pm
      Paul Clement says they were working all week on countering us. We were travelling to Plymouth to beat a league 2 side at the second attempt. It clearly doesn't help does it.

I say again, who comes back from 2-0 down at home against the bottom club in the league to go onto Lose - Liverpool FC
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #660: Jan 21, 2017 04:31:47 pm
      I was out watching 14 seven year olds chase a ball in West Kirby this morning.

You're a brave one... mentioning Seven year olds/chasing/ and dick all in one sentence  :o  Beware the Google Police :roll:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #661: Jan 21, 2017 04:32:57 pm
      Which Tosser gave Klavan a vote?
      Shanks pony
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #662: Jan 21, 2017 04:34:10 pm
      Newbie to forum, but LFC through and through for 40+ years.

Shocking today, but not entirely surprising, our record over recent seasons against so called lesser teams is not great. Hate to say it and stating the obvious but we will never get a sniff at a prem title until we work out how to defend as a team and eradicate the individual errors. Clean sheets win titles as much as goals.

Simple truth is we have too many inconsistent and under performing players!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #663: Jan 21, 2017 04:45:38 pm
      Oops :(

Didn't go to plan that. Missed the game due to family thing, heard we were down 2-0 :(,  then back to 2-2 :),  then lost 2-3.  What happened at 2-2, how did we not push on and get the next one...

Just saw the starting team, bit odd not starting with either Origi or Studge/not having Lallana in the middle at home to a bottom side.  Still, with Hendo/Gini/Can in the middle, you'd expect us to be harder to beat !!   Hindsight is a great thing.

Whatever about who did or didn't start up front, we scored 2 - the kick in the nads is shipping 3 goals at home. Why didn't Matip start? Presume he was fit if on the bench - we weren't playing Barca, so why not just start him. Klavan has started to struggle in recent games. Loosing 3 to Swansea at home, BR would've been scalped for that!! Defensively, still work to do.

Having not seen it, am probably not as pissed off as I would be if I did. There's a long way to go in the season. The title might be out of reach now, but we have players to come back in/back to fitness that will help us keep pushing as best we can.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Swansea
      Reply #664: Jan 21, 2017 04:59:12 pm
      Wonder how the "everything is Rosie in the garden" crew are taking this?

They're still banging on about how we are going to win the title with Firmino winning the golden boot.

Everything is still on track..  :roll:

glennusmc

• 5,837 posts | 477 
      Reply #665: Jan 21, 2017 05:04:21 pm
      Yeah you're right. We did score 50 goals in the league without a striker. But then we got found out. Teams realised how to set up against us and they adapted. We didn't adapt. We keep playing the same way and struggle to break teams down.

You shouldn't be afraid to speak ill about Klopp,  criticism is okay if its fair. I still think there is nobody better to lead this club forward but I can still recognise when he has gone wrong.

Honest and great post here, teams have adapted to our play, we have failed to adapt to their counter play, that being "park the bus" defense.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,182 posts | 533 
      Reply #666: Jan 21, 2017 05:06:04 pm
      Finished the popcorn (see earlier post). Well it wasn't good, we lost but it's not the end of the world.
      I think a top four finish is all we could have expected at the start of the season, and if we win a cup as well, that will be a bonus.

We are not the finished article yet, but Jürgen is working on that.
      Would be good to dip into the transfer market  and buy a decent midfield/defender, but can't see that happening.

Onwards to Wednesday and hopefully a win to send us to Anfield 2.

Quick Reply