Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1%)
      James Milner
      5 (5.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (2.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      81 (83.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: Jan 25, 2017 02:23:56 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Swansea City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30079 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Swansea City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Jan 21, 2017 11:48:15 pm
      It's not a bad shout regarding Sturridge, until we are able to properly press again I'd like to see us try playing 2 strikers up top, we have to try something different as it's to easy for teams to defend against us right now.

We need to change fast with our play, we been found out, they know how to play against us now.

We must find another winning way again, fast.

Our results are terrible i n 2017. Only won once against Plymouth  :mad:
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #714: Jan 21, 2017 11:52:40 pm
      It's not a bad shout regarding Sturridge, until we are able to properly press again I'd like to see us try playing 2 strikers up top, we have to try something different as it's to easy for teams to defend against us right now.

Our formation plays into opponents hands. 4-3-3 at home against poor teams allows them to set up easy. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 would see us stretch teams. The problem for the last 2 months is that teams have learnt how to negate us. Yet we carry on regardless with average players who have no improvisation in their play.

Too many average players being indulged because Jürgen is telling us they are good , when it is clear they are not. I mean , why on earth have we not signed a left back ? It make's no sense.

Our development us not used as a yardstick for our opponents. They will carry on signing quality regardless , while we develop clearly average players. If we finish 4th i will consider this an improvement. But if we want trophies , we HAVE to buy quality.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,543 posts | 725 
      Reply #715: Jan 22, 2017 12:22:13 am
      We've been having these problems since i can remember.
      We show up against the big teams and can't put away the smaller teams.

The problem is mentality and our squad isn't good enough. When we have to 'rotate' or players are out, the games are too close.

We needed a mane replacement. Fonte (an experienced premier league CB) was sold for 8 million while we have Sahko playing with the kids.

SMH We do this to ourselves. We're run by Cheapos who fancy the arsenal model. We deserve to not win the league.

We shouldn't be selling the likes of sturridge we should be adding to our squad.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #716: Jan 22, 2017 12:26:43 am
      Ive seen people criticising Sturridge saying he had minutes v Plymouth and he had minutes today but he didn't do anything, and that he's finished here and he isn't good enough for us.

Personally, I think that's a load of bollocks. Time will tell but he will probably move on in the summer and I bet now that whoever he joins he will score on a regular basis.

I understand playing firmino in the middle has suited us much better this season, but only when we've had mane in the side too. When one of the usual front three are missing, and there have been plenty of times this season, then Sturridge has to play.

I doubt Sturridge wants to play for Jürgen any more. He probably feels he has been treated appallingly - and i agree to some extent. His goal record is phenomenal yet Jürgen prefers a young inexperienced origi over him or even playing lallana out of position. Sturridge probably feels embarrassed and rightly so.

The only game time he gets nowadays is when we play a reserve team in the cup or in the last 20 mins of games when we are chasing a goal. How the f**k is he supposed to find any form?

Put him in the team Jürgen alongside firmino and coutinho and see what he can f**king do.

Oh and f**k can and Klavan off too.

I remember listening to the Anfield Wrap a few months ago. Probably around November I'd guess and they said they thought that even though we were flying that Sturridge would 'explode'.

It hasn't happened yet but I really think that a player like him you must find a way to fit him in. He's deadly and even though Firmino scores twice today, if Sturridge gets a run of games then he's the type of player who will hit 10 goals in 6 or 7 games.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #717: Jan 22, 2017 12:44:35 am
      I'll tell you.

He's got just about the best starts to goals record of any LFC striker but we don't pick him, so he gets the odd 15 minutes here and there.  No way to find form and confidence - two commodities every striker needs to function effectively.  Also, in the Plymouth game he got no service from an inexperienced team and was never found by a pass when making any of his runs and movements. 

If you want to win titles, you 'pander' as you so emotively put it, to your best striker.  We should be playing to his strengths and picking him to start.  Firmino, for all his qualities and pressing, just isn't going to get 1 goal every 2 starts.  Origi isn't. 

What are the strengths we should be playing too? He doesn't run, doesn't challenge, drifts out of position. Not denying he's quality on his day but that's the crux of it he's had far few and in between days. You don't build a team around a player whos guaranteed to miss half a season through injury.
      Swampie
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #718: Jan 22, 2017 12:46:40 am
      This is why we should have invested in this Jan window for another winger.

Play Lallana where he usually players.

I think we're all missing the elephant in the room I thought Henderson was abysmal again today against defensively set up teams he hasn't got class to open teams up. The last game like this one was Sunderland at home and if he made one attacking pass I'd be surprised. Against the top teams I'd play him all day
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #719: Jan 22, 2017 01:02:36 am
      Can't  believe 13 fans gave motm to someone other than Firmino. Very interesting.

Thats over 15% on class A drugs.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #720: Jan 22, 2017 01:13:27 am
      I remember listening to the Anfield Wrap a few months ago. Probably around November I'd guess and they said they thought that even though we were flying that Sturridge would 'explode'.

It hasn't happened yet but I really think that a player like him you must find a way to fit him in. He's deadly and even though Firmino scores twice today, if Sturridge gets a run of games then he's the type of player who will hit 10 goals in 6 or 7 games.

Couldn't agree more, he is that good you need to play him. Jurgens stubborness is starting to do my head in to be honest, it's costing us games.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #721: Jan 22, 2017 01:21:29 am

Watching the scum drop points and Spuds losing to City makes it even worse.

Eh?

????
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #722: Jan 22, 2017 01:27:36 am
      Can't  believe 13 fans gave motm to someone other than Firmino. Very interesting.

Thats over 15% on class A drugs.

As it goes I voted for Firmino but we all interpret the game differently.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #723: Jan 22, 2017 02:00:52 am
      Couldn't agree more, he is that good you need to play him. Jurgens stubborness is starting to do my head in to be honest, it's costing us games.

Yup.

It boils down to Can or Sturridge.

Who are you going to pick for the National Express Coach parkers.

Klopp's dropped the bollock on that one.

People have become so captivated by the sudden phenomenon of 'gegenpress' under Klopp, ya know, because it makes them a better supporter and all that jazz. That Sturridge is now considered surplus to cameo roles.

Problem with that is, we've only really improved when we haven't got the ball, pressing and forcing our opponents into mistakes. When teams like Swansea, Southampton and the like say 'here, you have the ball', we haven't really got a response to that, apart from hoping someone like Mane or Coutinho can either use their pace or vision respectively to magic something up out of all the possession we have.

You don't need your workaholics for these types of games, you need guile and quality on the ball when you've been handed possession on a plate. And yet, Can plays in a game like this while our most prolific striker who also has the ability to make something out of nothing practically rots on the bench. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
      +11
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #724: Jan 22, 2017 02:42:30 am
      Never understand why we pass it 5 yards to someone that passes it right back. Or pass it 5 yards to someone that passes it 5 more yards when the first guy could have just passed it the 10 and cut out the middle man not giving the defense as much time.

I mean I'm self admittedly no expert and "soccer" wasn't my first sport growing up but it seems like we make it harder than it needs to be.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #725: Jan 22, 2017 03:02:19 am
      Never understand why we pass it 5 yards to someone that passes it right back. Or pass it 5 yards to someone that passes it 5 more yards when the first guy could have just passed it the 10 and cut out the middle man not giving the defense as much time.

I mean I'm self admittedly no expert and "soccer" wasn't my first sport growing up but it seems like we make it harder than it needs to be.

I remember last week I posted to you hoping that the performance against the munts was a means to get our swagger back against Swansea. I was hopeful that we were going to build on the performance, how wrong was I? We just raised our game for Mancunian/Liverpudlian reasons.

We clearly are game raisers, aren't we. The desire to win yesterday wasn't there from the outset, and if it was, it wasn't enough.

Hey, never mind though we should still be top of the 'big 6' league.  :roll:
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #726: Jan 22, 2017 08:17:35 am
      Gutted that we lost after fighting back to 2-2.

Have to say though, I thought as a team performance that was our best for a fair few games. Hendo had an off day with his passing, and individual errors in defence we paid for (Klavan needs to be dropped and Matip back in)

Butttt I'm not giving up hope. Chelsea and Arsenal today and I am praying for dropped points, as the other results kind of favoured us yesterday. We have been scrapping by in Jan without really being affected points wise as much as our performance was shot, so I expecting a sharp upturn in form from now.
      rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #727: Jan 22, 2017 08:40:42 am
      Coutinho?????

What the f**k are you smoking?

Pardon ? Are you telling me he played well yesterday ?
      DanMann

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #728: Jan 22, 2017 02:38:43 pm
      Because you're a WUM who is more concerned with Victor Moses than with Liverpool.

Silly c**t.

:lmao:

Oh here they come. Love to see the ** again. See, if you were a mature grown up, you would talk in a reasonable manner without using bad language. All this swearing is the act of little minds.

I love how you go back to insulting a Liverpool supporter because he/she recognises quality outside of the Liverpool squad. That, and coming out with realism e.g. pointing out that we have not been playing well. That never goes down well with some posters who with their rose tinted glasses on only see the brilliance in drawing games that should have been won, and the incredible performance of players after losing.

:roll:

The only WUM's on this forum are those who slam the opinion's of others. You don't wind me up though. You make me laugh.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #729: Jan 22, 2017 07:17:25 pm
      You don't need your workaholics for these types of games, you need guile and quality on the ball when you've been handed possession on a plate. And yet, Can plays in a game like this while our most prolific striker who also has the ability to make something out of nothing practically rots on the bench. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Yep, not sure why we couldn't be more positive in the selection, and had Origi/Studge on, with either Can/Gini starting on bench. With Lallana in the middle. Just not enough creativity in the Hendo/Can/Gini threesome when you're looking to break down a side come to defend, at bottom of the table.

In saying that, we defend better yesterday, we come out with at LEAST a point. Do we have a big lad who can head the ball on the shopping list? Hmm, actually, there was one on the bench :(

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #730: Jan 22, 2017 10:03:30 pm
      We lift our game for Chelsea and win then lose hull following week it reason why we never won premier league
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #731: Jan 22, 2017 11:29:13 pm
      We lift our game for Chelsea and win then lose hull following week it reason why we never won premier league

I fully expect us to beat Chelsea, it's Southampton and Wolves I'm worried about
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #732: Jan 22, 2017 11:42:42 pm
      I fully expect us to beat Chelsea, it's Southampton and Wolves I'm worried about

A lot now depends on whether he fixes the imbalanced formation we're playing with whilst Mane is away. I think it's time to give Sturridge an extended run in the side, at least until Mane's return.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #733: Jan 23, 2017 12:43:21 am

You might be onto something here.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #734: Jan 23, 2017 08:18:15 am
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #735: Jan 23, 2017 08:28:28 am

Whilst that may be true we should never be losing at home to Swansea and certainly not conceding 3 goals to them.

It's these inconsistencies that kill us and now we are 10 points off I think? It was only a few weeks ago that we were 4 points off the pace and looking well set for a good go at it over the second half of the season. Within a few weeks we have effectively put ourselves out of the title race with stupid errors. It's so frustrating.

Quick Reply