Trending Topics

Next match: Watford v LFC [Premier League] Sat 29th Feb @ 5:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Vicarage Road

Today is the 27th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W8 D6 L10

Rhian Brewster Player Thread

Read 24631 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,182 posts | 4231 
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #200: Jan 17, 2020 06:06:05 pm
      What I’m comparing is the performances of a young striker playing in a striker’s role to a young winger playing in a winger’s role. I am not comparing how many goals they have scored, crosses they have made, aerial duels they have won or big chances they have saved. What position they play is irrelevant.

of course it is scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do on a pitch. You can pass the ball well make tackles all day long but unless someone scores a goal all the others play is redundant. It is so much easier to shine in midfield or defence than it is as a forward  you simply cant compare them and the price tag of forwards would suggest this is indeed the case.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,741 posts | 526 
      Reply #201: Jan 17, 2020 06:19:35 pm
      of course it is scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do on a pitch. You can pass the ball well make tackles all day long but unless someone scores a goal all the others play is redundant. It is so much easier to shine in midfield or defence than it is as a forward  you simply cant compare them and the price tag of forwards would suggest this is indeed the case.
      I take the point that you and Swab are making so fair enough, however I wasn’t thinking about the amount of goals he had scored when I mentioned his performances. Firmino is one of my favourite forwards of all time and he can hardly be described as prolific.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,741 posts | 526 
      Reply #202: Jan 17, 2020 06:37:31 pm
      While we’re on the subject though I’d argue that centre back is the most difficult position to shine. I mean player of the year awards are usually dominated by forwards and it’s taken colossal performances by VVD in the last couple of years to even challenge for the Ballon D’or. I’d say this is even more true for young players. A mistake as a forward is not usually anywhere near as costly as a mistake from a defender, particularly a centre back as it will most likely lead to a chance for the opposition to score. Sorry to drag out the point, just my 2 pennies worth.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,182 posts | 4231 
      Reply #203: Jan 17, 2020 06:42:43 pm
      While we’re on the subject though I’d argue that centre back is the most difficult position to shine. I mean player of the year awards are usually dominated by forwards and it’s taken colossal performances by VVD in the last couple of years to even challenge for the Ballon D’or. I’d say this is even more true for young players. A mistake as a forward is not usually anywhere near as costly as a mistake from a defender, particularly a centre back as it will most likely lead to a chance for the opposition to score. Sorry to drag out the point, just my 2 pennies worth.

whilst you think a CB is more difficult than a strikers position there is no point in continuing this. Teams never win much without having the best strikers available. Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Kenny,Rushie,Robbie,Owen,Torres,Suarez and now the three Amigos.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,741 posts | 526 
      Reply #204: Jan 17, 2020 06:51:08 pm
      whilst you think a CB is more difficult than a strikers position there is no point in continuing this. Teams never win much without having the best strikers available. Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Kenny,Rushie,Robbie,Owen,Torres,Suarez and now the three Amigos.
      Ok mate we’ll agree to disagree but I’ll leave you with this. Ron Yeats, Tommy Smith, Alan Hansen, Lawro, Sami Hyppia, Virgil Van Dijk.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,182 posts | 4231 
      Reply #205: Jan 17, 2020 09:15:56 pm
      Based on Rhian's negative comments about his future how many players would have made it had they been written off at 19.
      Mo, Sadio, Virgil. Joel, Bobby all struggled early on in their Careers but worked hard found a Coach who would work with them individually to help them improve and hey presto they became World Class in their mid to late 20's.
      Players like Trent only come along once in a generation  and we just need to treasure him as some sort of gift
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,797 posts | 4194 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #206: Jan 17, 2020 09:32:10 pm
      Don't think he's quite reached the level he was maybe expected to by this stage of the current season, again injuries have played their part and in the brief time he has been on the pitch he's looked a bit short of the potential talked about. But that said, he needs game time and unfortunately the standard of player he is competing with probably couldn't be any higher right now, like a few other youngsters in the team, it's bad timing for them.

But this loan move is just what he needs, playing hopefully every week and get that experience he badly needs, get that confidence and generally grow into first team football and play matches at a higher level than what he's used to.

It's easy to forget though, in the last 18months/2years, he has played very, very little football other than training so looking back, maybe we, as in the supporters expected a little bit too much of him this season. He's come into first team level off the back of a bad injury so wasn't going to be easy.

Hopefully the loan move goes brilliantly for him and it probably wouldn't be the worst idea to loan him out again next season and then hopefully he can come and really fulfill that potential with us.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,411 posts | 2209 
      Reply #207: Jan 17, 2020 11:41:11 pm
      a bit like you not being a top poster then. what about your Danny Ings prediction he was another player damned with terrible injuries and damned by you yey now with a good preseason and games under his belt is scoring for fun in a very AVG team. Ask anyone who has watched Rhian before his injury he was superb and Jürgen knows it and will bring him along slowly over the next few seasons . Over 400 days out with a serious injury 19 years old and his own supporters writing the lads chances of.

Danny Ings is in the form of his life but who would you drop out of Bobby, Sadio and Mo to fit him into our team? If none of them then please stfu. Danny is an OK player but no where near our level so I stand by what I said.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,737 posts | 383 
      Reply #208: Jan 18, 2020 06:53:28 am
      What I’m comparing is the performances of a young striker playing in a striker’s role.

IN YOUR FIRST POST YOU LITERALLY SAID YOU'VE SEEN VERY LITTLE OF HIM!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,737 posts | 383 
      Reply #209: Jan 18, 2020 06:55:38 am
      Never really got the hype around him from the little I’ve watched.

ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,741 posts | 526 
      Reply #210: Jan 18, 2020 07:29:10 am
      IN YOUR FIRST POST YOU LITERALLY SAID YOU'VE SEEN VERY LITTLE OF HIM!
      No need to shout.

I did say that and was actually trying to give some balance to my comments more than anything else. He hasn’t had many senior appearances but enough for people to form an opinion and mine is that he hasn’t impressed so far. Can’t believe I have to say this again but I am NOT suggesting that he won’t come good or that he has no future at the club. Not sure what people don’t understand about this, I mean I’m hardly comparing him to Robbie Fowler. I’m comparing him to other youngsters who have had a few games for the senior team.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,411 posts | 2209 
      Reply #211: Jan 18, 2020 09:04:59 am
      No need to shout.

I did say that and was actually trying to give some balance to my comments more than anything else. He hasn’t had many senior appearances but enough for people to form an opinion and mine is that he hasn’t impressed so far. Can’t believe I have to say this again but I am NOT suggesting that he won’t come good or that he has no future at the club. Not sure what people don’t understand about this, I mean I’m hardly comparing him to Robbie Fowler. I’m comparing him to other youngsters who have had a few games for the senior team.

Come on, fall into line, you have to praise every single player we have, they are all absolutely amazing until the point they get sold to Bournemouth!! ;-)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 1301 
      Reply #212: Jan 18, 2020 01:53:03 pm
      As with all young prospects, Rhian at some point has to turn the signs that have many of us and club management believe he is a promising talent, into consistently good performances on the park for the first team. It's a delicate business getting from A to B with fitness, personal maturity, business and family considerations, supporter expectations, competition for places and the pressure of the first team to produce results, all factoring in.  With the Internet we tend to hear more about these prospects than we used to, but even with that, Rhian will get a little more attention because of how promising he has been with the younger teams for Liverpool and England, AND Klopp's decision to have him on the bench for big Champions League games, etc.

So now he's got a good chance to play regular first team football and realize more of his potential. If it goes well, and I trust we are all hoping it does, it will give him a boost of confidence coming back for preseason this summer where he can step forward to become more a part of first team actions. It looks like he and Klopp have a great relationship and I like Jürgen's chances to create a real success story. Rhian has every opportunity now, but like every other footballer before him, he hasn't actually done it until ... he's done it. Stay tuned.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,182 posts | 4231 
      Reply #213: Jan 18, 2020 01:57:49 pm
      As with all young prospects, Rhian at some point has to turn the signs that have many of us and club management believe he is a promising talent, into consistently good performances on the park for the first team. It's a delicate business getting from A to B with fitness, personal maturity, business and family considerations, supporter expectations, competition for places and the pressure of the first team to produce results, all factoring in.  With the Internet we tend to hear more about these prospects than we used to, but even with that, Rhian will get a little more attention because of how promising he has been with the younger teams for Liverpool and England, AND Klopp's decision to have him on the bench for big Champions League games, etc.

So now he's got a good chance to play regular first team football and realize more of his potential. If it goes well, and I trust we are all hoping it does, it will give him a boost of confidence coming back for preseason this summer where he can step forward to become more a part of first team actions. It looks like he and Klopp have a great relationship and I like Jürgen's chances to create a real success story. Rhian has every opportunity now, but like every other footballer before him, he hasn't actually done it until ... he's done it. Stay tuned.

one thing he isn't short of is confidence as witnessed on the bus after CL final . If all goes well he will be ready to destroy teams in 3 or 4 years and still be a young striker imagine how much Jürgen will improve him over this length of time.
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,570 posts | 468 
      Reply #214: Jan 18, 2020 03:22:31 pm
      Just scored for Swansea.

Nice one kid.

If he plays he'll score goals., keep it up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,362 posts | 611 
      Reply #215: Jan 18, 2020 03:50:50 pm
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,411 posts | 2209 
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,737 posts | 383 
      Reply #217: Jan 18, 2020 05:11:34 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,941 posts | 2508 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #218: Jan 18, 2020 05:19:59 pm
      Nice goal, hope it helps him quick start his career which, let's be honest, probably won't be at LFC for much longer. Some people were upset when I said years ago that being top scorer of U17 or U20 World Cups meant little for professional career success and I still haven't seen much in Brewster or Solanke (u20 WC golden ball) to change that assertion.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 1301 
      Reply #219: Jan 18, 2020 05:31:58 pm
      Nice goal, hope it helps him quick start his career which, let's be honest, probably won't be at LFC for much longer. Some people were upset when I said years ago that being top scorer of U17 or U20 World Cups meant little for professional career success and I still haven't seen much in Brewster or Solanke (u20 WC golden ball) to change that assertion.

I think he will be given every chance next season to make it here.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,411 posts | 2209 
      Reply #220: Jan 18, 2020 06:05:08 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,245 posts | 2642 
      Reply #221: Jan 18, 2020 06:13:04 pm

Yep, and probably a couple of seasons after next.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,411 posts | 2209 
      Reply #222: Jan 18, 2020 06:21:55 pm
      Yep, and probably a couple of seasons after next.

Like Solanke, Ibe and Woodburn 😉
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,941 posts | 2508 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #223: Jan 18, 2020 07:39:54 pm

I find it very unlikely, with the kind of quality we have upfront, he'd have to show exceptional promise to get a meaningful amount of game time
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 1301 
      Reply #224: Jan 18, 2020 07:43:03 pm
      I find it very unlikely, with the kind of quality we have upfront, he'd have to show exceptional promise to get a meaningful amount of game time

Even just next season there's going to be a 4-8 week window where Mane and Salah are out of the picture at AFCON. Time will tell of course (and I know there is a tendency to overrate young prospects) but Jürgen really does seem to be paying special attention to this one.

Quick Reply