Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Palace [Premier League] Sat 18th Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W15 D7 L9

Rhian Brewster (Liverpool -> Sheffield United)

Read 53466 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,991 posts | 4761 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #425: Aug 02, 2020 01:47:11 pm
      You mean like we did with Owen ? Why was he thrown in

Owen wasn’t rushed, he was just far too good to not play. Owen was a rare product, he was more than ready to start for club and country, similar to Mbappe being more than ready at that age too. With Owen he was played more than he should have been because of how good he was, he wasn’t pushed through at all.

Now await the Greenwood and Owen comparison...

Greenwood has done well but he really was pushed through because of the dire situation they were in. If he had competition for places then he wouldn’t be getting spoken about now the way he is. Greenwood barely played for the first part of the season, if they thought he was ready then they’d have played him a lot more. When Owen came onto the scene there was no breaking in period for him because he didn’t need it, he was already at that level.
      Often it’s a case of some younger players not playing enough, but Owen was the complete opposite and played too much. Owen won the Balon d’Or at what, age 20? That was a sign of just how good he was at a young age.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020 01:52:44 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,031 posts | 829 
      Reply #426: Aug 02, 2020 01:51:36 pm
      Owen wasn’t rushed, he was just far too good to not play. Owen was a rare product, he was more than ready to star for club and country, similar to Mbappe being more than ready at that age too. With Owen he was played more than he should have been because of how good he was, he wasn’t pushed through at all.

Now await the Greenwood and Owen comparison...

Greenwood has done well but he really was pushed through because of the dire situation they were in. If he had competition for places then he wouldn’t be getting spoken about now the way he is. Greenwood barely played for the first part of the season, if they thought he was ready then they’d have played him a lot more. When Owen came onto the scene there was no breaking in period for him because he didn’t need it, he was already at that level.

You dont push people through if there not ready  though you are ready to be a given a chance or you ain't pretty simple really
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,991 posts | 4761 
      Reply #427: Aug 02, 2020 01:55:03 pm
      You dont push people through if there not ready  though you are ready to be a given a chance or you ain't pretty simple really

Of course you can, I remember we ended up having to push Damien Plessis into the team before he was ready. Lots of players get pushed through in the hope they will be the next big thing, like what also happened with Macheda for example, he came on and scored a couple of big goals and suddenly they thought he was good enough to do more...and it backfired with him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,330 posts | 5640 
      Reply #428: Aug 02, 2020 02:03:26 pm
      I was replying to competition faced to get on the bench fairly f**king obvious he has the front 3 as competition and rushing players ? You mean like we did with Owen ? Why was he thrown in

Cos Stan was on his way out. We were finishing 4th in a two horse race, best way to keep fans onside throw a supposed new superstar in.

And we still got beat by Wimbledon!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,330 posts | 5640 
      Reply #429: Aug 02, 2020 02:04:50 pm
      Of course you can, I remember we ended up having to push Damien Plessis into the team before he was ready. Lots of players get pushed through in the hope they will be the next big thing, like what also happened with Macheda for example, he came on and scored a couple of big goals and suddenly they thought he was good enough to do more...and it backfired with him.

Injuries and suspensions during our European campaign was the reason for that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,991 posts | 4761 
      Reply #430: Aug 02, 2020 02:09:40 pm
      Injuries and suspensions during our European campaign was the reason for that.

Yeah knew there was a reason, couldn’t quite remember why, just remember he showed he wasn’t ready for the step up at that time after his solid debut if I remember right.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,031 posts | 829 
      Reply #431: Aug 02, 2020 02:44:16 pm

Owen is similar to Greenwood in that they took to it like duck to water whereas you say Macheda and Duplessis sunk my issue with concern with Rhian is as you say so much pressure on now you dont really get chance to just throw them in as the pressure to win is that great and he will always go with Bobby
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,249 posts | 1185 
      Reply #432: Aug 02, 2020 05:31:34 pm
      Brewster will get his chances - Klopp rates him highly , how ready he thinks he is will happen over the summer and depends on the level of funds for players. If we can buy someone in then Brewster will go on loan for a year

Either way the lad is very good and done right will be a great player for us
      TheDreamer
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #433: Aug 10, 2020 06:36:11 pm
      I guess a loan to a prem club next is the plan? As highly rated he is, I can't imagine him getting much game time if he comes back to Liverpool.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #434: Aug 11, 2020 08:43:12 am
      I guess a loan to a prem club next is the plan? As highly rated he is, I can't imagine him getting much game time if he comes back to Liverpool.

would he really be behind Origi?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 1392 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #435: Aug 11, 2020 09:14:48 am
      would he really be behind Origi?

You may have a point,  from what little I've  seen of Brewster he certainly wouldn't be going on loan again.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,578 posts | 2104 
      Reply #436: Aug 30, 2020 02:06:06 pm
      Appreciate Jürgen's words here re Rhian's missed penalty vs. Arsenal:

"I rarely join or share my football experiences with the boys because it was too long ago. But I’m not the only one who missed a penalty in my life in the team, so the boys pick him up. It’s not about me making it bigger than it is. He missed a penalty, we had a few words directly when he left the pitch, that’s all fine. Nothing to apologise for or whatever. That’s football, no problem. If we wanted to win the game then we should have scored during the 92 minutes, we didn’t do that often enough and that’s why it came to a penalty shootout. It’s a lottery, we know that. It’s not about who is the best, it’s just you have to score and we did that four times really well. And this penalty was not the worst I ever saw, it was just a little bit too high. There was absolutely no chance for the goalie, it was just too high. That’s why it happened how it happened."

He also mentioned he's never seen him miss one before.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 712 posts | 287 
      Reply #437: Aug 30, 2020 02:47:37 pm
      Appreciate Jürgen's words here re Rhian's missed penalty vs. Arsenal:

"I rarely join or share my football experiences with the boys because it was too long ago. But I’m not the only one who missed a penalty in my life in the team, so the boys pick him up. It’s not about me making it bigger than it is. He missed a penalty, we had a few words directly when he left the pitch, that’s all fine. Nothing to apologise for or whatever. That’s football, no problem. If we wanted to win the game then we should have scored during the 92 minutes, we didn’t do that often enough and that’s why it came to a penalty shootout. It’s a lottery, we know that. It’s not about who is the best, it’s just you have to score and we did that four times really well. And this penalty was not the worst I ever saw, it was just a little bit too high. There was absolutely no chance for the goalie, it was just too high. That’s why it happened how it happened."

He also mentioned he's never seen him miss one before.
      Brewster is a rock! I'm not worried about him. He seemed destroyed after missing the penalty but any player would look like that. This kid just 20 and has already overcome a fractured foot followed by ankle surgery and came back stronger than before to the point where we want him in the team. And you know what? He's got the best coach (and motivator) in the world backing him as well as a fantastic tightly knit squad behind him. This is the type of sh*t that build your character as a player. Best it happens during the Community Shield (the trophy everybody calls a friendly when they lose it).

He's going to play, with us or on loan, and he is going to score a bunch of goals. End of story.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,578 posts | 2104 
      Reply #438: Aug 30, 2020 07:53:39 pm
      Brewster is a rock! I'm not worried about him. He seemed destroyed after missing the penalty but any player would look like that. This kid just 20 and has already overcome a fractured foot followed by ankle surgery and came back stronger than before to the point where we want him in the team. And you know what? He's got the best coach (and motivator) in the world backing him as well as a fantastic tightly knit squad behind him. This is the type of sh*t that build your character as a player. Best it happens during the Community Shield (the trophy everybody calls a friendly when they lose it).

He's going to play, with us or on loan, and he is going to score a bunch of goals. End of story.

Agree. I really hope he stays this season. I think he can make a major contribution.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,991 posts | 4761 
      Reply #439: Aug 30, 2020 08:31:28 pm
      He seemed destroyed after missing the penalty but any player would look like that

He should never have been in that position to begin with, he had only been on the pitch for about 45 seconds and hadn’t even had a single touch. He didn’t look confident walking up and his run up gave it away instantly that he was going to miss IMO. Fair play for stepping up but it should have been Mané, Virgil etc before him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,222 posts | 4435 
      Reply #440: Aug 31, 2020 01:03:49 am
      Jürgen took the blame, Brewster will be ok. It happens and I’m sure he will learn from it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #441: Aug 31, 2020 08:20:25 am
      Jürgen took the blame, Brewster will be ok. It happens and I’m sure he will learn from it.

Brewster will be absolutely fine, these kids dont dont from confidence

If the same situation was again today, hed put himself forward to take one again

Sh*t happens

As for Jürgen taking the blame, that's just PR and him standing up, no blame on anyone, Rhian obviously felt confident and wanted it
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,273 posts | 533 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #442: Sep 02, 2020 03:56:23 pm
      Id like brewster to stay, probably lots of game time this season, Games are coming thick and fast, lots of rotation. December alone has 6 league games lined up, probably 2 champions league games and possibly league cup game\games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,578 posts | 2104 
      Reply #443: Sep 02, 2020 11:15:09 pm
      Id like brewster to stay, probably lots of game time this season, Games are coming thick and fast, lots of rotation. December alone has 6 league games lined up, probably 2 champions league games and possibly league cup game\games.

He at least should stay until the January window, as with last season. If he isn't getting many games then it would make sense to loan him, but he looks to me to be on an upward trajectory (and missing a penalty last weekend after not playing in regular time won't impact Jürgen's decision in the slightest).
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2020 01:08:46 pm by Robby The Z »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,273 posts | 533 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #444: Sep 03, 2020 08:37:57 am
      He at least should stay until the January window, as with last season. If he isn't getting many games then it would make sense to loan him, but he looks to me to be on an upward trajectory (and missing a penalty last weekend after not playing in regular time won't impact Jürgen's decision in the slightest.

Agreed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #445: Sep 03, 2020 08:54:16 am
      He at least should stay until the January window, as with last season. If he isn't getting many games then it would make sense to loan him, but he looks to me to be on an upward trajectory (and missing a penalty last weekend after not playing in regular time won't impact Jürgen's decision in the slightest.

On current form he is certainly a better backup than Origi and if Mo continues with his poor form then I'd seriously consider starting Rhian or Taki instead of him.
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,824 posts | 334 
      Reply #446: Sep 03, 2020 11:33:14 am
      On current form he is certainly a better backup than Origi and if Mo continues with his poor form then I'd seriously consider starting Rhian or Taki instead of him.

totally agree and if Jürgen klopp has one more performance like the charity shield I would seriously consider bring back woy for him.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 1392 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #447: Sep 03, 2020 12:45:15 pm
      No brainer, no loan dealer, staying...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #448: Sep 03, 2020 01:24:53 pm
      totally agree and if Jürgen klopp has one more performance like the charity shield I would seriously consider bring back woy for him.

You'd replace Jürgen with Roy Hodgson, why?
      Kopite78
      Reply #449: Sep 03, 2020 02:05:57 pm
      You'd replace Jürgen with Roy Hodgson, why?

I think he was being sarcastic because of your ludicrous Mo shout 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply