Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [League Cup] Thu 1st Oct @ 7:45 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W18 D5 L7

Rhian Brewster Player Thread

Read 38692 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,532 posts | 1527 
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #500: Sep 16, 2020 12:03:58 pm
      Reports we have agreed a free with Sheffield for Rhian on a permanent switch with a buy back clause.

Could be bullshit and I hope it is if we're not in the market for a back up forward.

Another season with Origi and Shaqiri as back ups worries me.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #501: Sep 16, 2020 01:38:02 pm
      Reports we have agreed a free with Sheffield for Rhian on a permanent switch with a buy back clause.

Could be bullshit and I hope it is if we're not in the market for a back up forward.

I just cannot see the sense in that, especially with Bobby's poor form lately, why not have as many options as possible?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,786 posts | 4200 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #502: Sep 16, 2020 11:59:29 pm

Yeah reading the same this morning. So we have to sell Rhian just to make sure we have some money to spend...for fucks sake. Thought JWH was a
      Billionaire. That really annoys me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #503: Sep 17, 2020 06:33:37 pm

Origi yes, Shaqiri no if he can stay fit. I think Shaqiri offers much more of a threat to the opposition coming into the team than what Origi does.

But to sell Brewster would be strange, especially when we fought so hard to keep him 2 years ago. Rather he stayed and we didn't even loan him out, I'd much rather see Origi sold. Origi has reached his ceiling and wont get any better, we know he's not a reliable goal threat and to me it makes a lot more sense to go with Brewster at this stage.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,641 posts | 419 
      Reply #504: Sep 17, 2020 06:41:35 pm
      Origi yes, Shaqiri no if he can stay fit. I think Shaqiri offers much more of a threat to the opposition coming into the team than what Origi does.

But to sell Brewster would be strange, especially when we fought so hard to keep him 2 years ago. Rather he stayed and we didn't even loan him out, I'd much rather see Origi sold. Origi has reached his ceiling and wont get any better, we know he's not a reliable goal threat and to me it makes a lot more sense to go with Brewster at this stage.

What was the reason we almost lost him a couple years ago? vaguely remember it was around wanting a path to the first team?

If Brewster's ambitions, or expectations, are that he should be getting a lot of game time on the first team then would not surprise if he is pushing for a move out. He, and everyone, knows he is not replacing Firmino in the starting lineup who also very durable and starts most games.

I imagine a loan is more likely where he can get regular starting time in a bottom-half PL team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      Reply #505: Sep 17, 2020 07:09:46 pm
      What was the reason we almost lost him a couple years ago? vaguely remember it was around wanting a path to the first team?

Some German team was pushing hard to try and sign him with his contract expiring. Think it was Monchengladbach but can’t remember for sure. Think we managed to get him to sign a new deal with the expectation of having him as part of the first team.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,187 posts | 2595 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #506: Sep 17, 2020 07:30:05 pm
      I can’t imagine for a minute Rhian would want to leave when he’s so close to breaking through, for me he’s above Origi at the moment and being younger with more hunger it’s only a matter of time until we see him at least on the bench, it could be that he needs to work a bit harder and give Jürgen no choice, Origi can do the business when asked but, he doesn’t get asked often enough so it’s difficult for him to produce his best when he only has 10 minutes, catch 22 for him I guess,

If push came to shove I’d gamble by selling/offer Origi to Blades and keep Rhian here, there is no doubt the lad has an eye for goal, and imo be a better fit up top than Origi, when Origi is used he’s usually out left side and has less impact on the game, but Brewster thru the middle would, Salah, Mane, Bobby could easily adapt their game to accommodate Brewster.

I know Divock has gotten us important goals last few seasons, but I just think Brewster would smash it if he got regular playing time .

Y  N  W  A
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,641 posts | 419 
      Reply #507: Sep 17, 2020 07:50:40 pm
      I don't see Divock as a barrier for Brewster. For whatever reason Klopp plays Origi on the wing (where i don't think he's all that good) while Brewster would be more of a "fox in the box" CF.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts | 21 
      Reply #508: Sep 17, 2020 08:44:17 pm
      Brewster is a pure striker, a box player. To be a regular starter for Klopp's Liverpool you need to offer more than that.

It's interesting that we've been linked with Sarr, looks to have great potential. He could be cover for Mane or Salah, and then we have taki who can operate in Firmino's role. That would be a complete squad for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      Reply #509: Sep 17, 2020 08:52:06 pm
      Brewster is a pure striker, a box player. To be a regular starter for Klopp's Liverpool you need to offer more than that.

Not necessarily, depends on the player. For example, Lewandowski was a key man for his Dortmund team despite being not much more than just a box player, or to put it better “pure striker” like you said.
      A lot is expected to be able to play for a Klopp team but he will break the mould on occasions for the right player if it will benefit the team.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts | 21 
      Reply #510: Sep 17, 2020 08:59:41 pm
      I was thinking Lewandowski. He is a sort of tradional striker, but he does have a very high level of ability. He can go past people and do the unexpected, he can be spectacular.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,762 posts | 2513 
      Reply #511: Sep 17, 2020 09:10:13 pm
      Not necessarily, depends on the player. For example, Lewandowski was a key man for his Dortmund team despite being not much more than just a box player, or to put it better “pure striker” like you said.
      A lot is expected to be able to play for a Klopp team but he will break the mould on occasions for the right player if it will benefit the team.

Definitely but it appears Brewster doesn't fit that.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,376 posts | 864 
      Reply #512: Sep 18, 2020 10:21:12 am
      It really is quite simple (( on paper )) get rid of Origi & Shaqiri and keep Brewster. Give the lad his head as a substitute and see where it takes you.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,716 posts | 1166 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #513: Sep 18, 2020 10:43:35 am
      If Jürgen is willing to let him go then he must be short of some element that Jürgen expects from his players.

We as fans always hope that these young players with potential get the chance, always hoping for the next Fowler and Owen. Clubs must want that to. A player coming through the ranks can save millions. So to allow him leave suggests they are uncertain about something.

Either that or we are extremely kind putting his development ahead of our needs
      sebby
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 457 posts | 30 
      Reply #514: Sep 18, 2020 02:55:18 pm
      If its true absolute madness, this kid could be a goal scoring machine for us, when he has had minutes, he scores goals, and that is a fact, give him at least 45 mins against Chelsea, not a couple of minutes at the end, i know it is hard to criticise Klopp, but if they let Brewster go, massive mistake.
      LFCexiled
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,876 posts | 1458 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #515: Sep 18, 2020 03:29:20 pm
      If its true absolute madness, this kid could be a goal scoring machine for us, when he has had minutes, he scores goals, and that is a fact, give him at least 45 mins against Chelsea, not a couple of minutes at the end, i know it is hard to criticise Klopp, but if they let Brewster go, massive mistake.

Whilst I agree with you and I'd have him staying, in the bits we've seen him play the lad's got great potential but Klopp sees him a lot more than we do and if he can't see him fitting into the machine he's created then so be it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,776 posts | 3799 
      Reply #516: Sep 18, 2020 03:37:46 pm
      Whilst I agree with you and I'd have him staying, in the bits we've seen him play the lad's got great potential but Klopp sees him a lot more than we do and if he can't see him fitting into the machine he's created then so be it.

He scores a lot of opportunistic goals unless I'm seeing something different than most. Not to say that's a bad thing, I'd rather see him come in the game than Origi for what it's worth. But, to me, Brewster looks to be at about a Danny Ings level of quality when he hits his peak. So maybe Klopp thinks he's worth more to us selling than keeping?
      LFCexiled
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,876 posts | 1458 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #517: Sep 18, 2020 03:48:54 pm
      He scores a lot of opportunistic goals unless I'm seeing something different than most. Not to say that's a bad thing, I'd rather see him come in the game than Origi for what it's worth. But, to me, Brewster looks to be at about a Danny Ings level of quality when he hits his peak. So maybe Klopp thinks he's worth more to us selling than keeping?

I agree mate, I posted earlier in the thread about him that I'd rather have Rhian coming in than div, as far as I'm concerned Rhian has the potential to be a far better player than div and I'd rather take the chance on him than watch div run into defenders around the box and lose the ball. I'll never forget the lads vital goals obviously and I'd keep both but if we haven't got the cash to keep them both that'd be my choice.
      « Last Edit: Sep 18, 2020 04:06:34 pm by LFCexiled »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,189 posts | 1651 
      Reply #518: Sep 19, 2020 05:46:11 am
      Still hope Rhian stays with us, and if he does leave this season, that it is on loan and not from being sold. Even then I hope we wait until January. Just seems that Jürgen paid special attention to him for 2 1/2 seasons and it would be odd to let him as he gets closer to bearing fruit.
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 265 
      Reply #519: Sep 19, 2020 12:31:45 pm
      Still hope Rhian stays with us, and if he does leave this season, that it is on loan and not from being sold. Even then I hope we wait until January. Just seems that Jürgen paid special attention to him for 2 1/2 seasons and it would be odd to let him as he gets closer to bearing fruit.

Yeh hopefully because we don't want to sell 2 rough gems in one window. 

Quick Reply