Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rhian Brewster (Liverpool -> Sheffield United)

Read 85039 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #23: Oct 25, 2017 02:35:02 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: Oct 25, 2017 03:35:32 pm
      Fantastic Rhian!

What I find so tragic about this young England generation is that they're probably the best in the world but because they play for England it probably means that their talent will be sabotaged and lost forever unless the likes of Brewster and co find their way to the first teams of top Premier League clubs.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017 03:40:14 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #25: Oct 25, 2017 06:12:10 pm
      Fantastic Rhian!

What I find so tragic about this young England generation is that they're probably the best in the world but because they play for England it probably means that their talent will be sabotaged and lost forever unless the likes of Brewster and co find their way to the first teams of top Premier League clubs.

Do you mean because of the England set up they'll be held back? More chance of them stagnating cos there is no pathway thru to first team at the likes of city 3 starters and chelsea 4 starters.
                                                                                 Anyways if we go tits up against Huddersfield the final is 3.30 p.m uk time against Spain,rematch of the euro final!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #26: Oct 25, 2017 06:28:25 pm
      Fantastic Rhian!

Thanks to clubs like United, Chelsea and City and PL shoving TV money at small clubs to go buy talent. It's no coincidence all 5 PL teams in CL right now are leading their groups again.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #27: Oct 28, 2017 05:39:34 pm
      Well done Rhian on getting the Golden Boot and the rest of the team for a fantastic performance to beat Spain 5-2 to win the Under 17 World Cup! That after going 2 down! Best young players in World Football, but will they get their chance at their respective clubs!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #28: Oct 28, 2017 05:43:46 pm
      Well done Rhian on getting the Golden Boot and the rest of the team for a fantastic performance to beat Spain 5-2 to win the Under 17 World Cup! That after going 2 down! Best young players in World Football, but will they get their chance at their respective clubs!
      I'd argue that all of them should slot into premier league teams. Watched the entire second half and they were fantastic! Clinical in every department, they were miles ahead in quality than any PL game I have seen in a long time.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29: Oct 28, 2017 05:43:57 pm
      Another WC winner in the ranks the future looks bright.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Oct 29, 2017 12:19:09 am
      Congrats Rhian, huge achievement for the lad. Now keep your head down and keep progressing, could have a couple of real quality forwards coming through in the youth ranks.

Well in lad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Oct 29, 2017 12:46:39 am
      Great stuff Rhian. Hope you get rewarded with some minutes on the First Team bench.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #32: Oct 29, 2017 10:46:58 am
      I'd argue that all of them should slot into premier league teams. Watched the entire second half and they were fantastic! Clinical in every department, they were miles ahead in quality than any PL game I have seen in a long time.

They did look good, but quality is only relative.  Will be interesting to see how many of them make the grade.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #33: Oct 29, 2017 11:14:01 am
      Well done, Rhian :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #34: Oct 29, 2017 12:18:21 pm
      Another WC winner in the ranks the future looks bright.

Sshhh...FSG will cash in....
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Oct 29, 2017 02:53:12 pm
      Former U17 World Cup Golden Boot winners:

2015 - Victor Osimhen (Nigeria), 18 years old, currently at Wolfsburg.
      2013 - Valmir Berisha (Sweden), 21, currently at Aalesunds FK.
      2011 - Souleymane Coulibaly (Ivory Coast), 22, currently free agent if wikipedia is correct. Silver Boot was our very own Yesil, now 23 at Panionios in Greece. Bronze Boot was Adryan from my Brazilian team Flamengo, currently at Sion in Switzerland.
      2009 - Borja (Spain), 25, on loan at Malaga from Swansea.
      2007 - Macauley Chrisantus (Nigeria), 27, currently at Lamia in Greece.
      2005 - Carlos Vela (Mexico), 28, currently at Real Sociedad, moving to Los Angeles FC soon.
      2003 - Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Carlos Hidalgo (Colombia),  Manuel Curto (Portugal). All 30 or 31 yo, at Chelsea, Sonsonate (El Salvador) and Torreense (Portuguese lower leagues) respectively.

That's how far back in time you need to go to actually find someone who won the golden boot award at this competition and ended up "making it". Nigeria have won the competition more times than anyone else and that hardly translates to greatness in the first team either. England have now equaled Saudi Arabia and Switzerland with one trophy.

So keep your head down and continue to hard work hard Rhian, this is hardly a massive achievement in the grand scheme of things - though it surely is at this stage for him - but it's important that he keeps his feet on the ground.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #36: Oct 29, 2017 03:38:50 pm
      Jesus mate,who pissed in your cornflakes this morning.Let the kid have a bit of joy and glory.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #37: Oct 29, 2017 04:34:26 pm
      Jesus mate,who pissed in your cornflakes this morning.Let the kid have a bit of joy and glory.

No one, it's a nice achievement from a promising player, I just wanted to provide some context. U17 competitions are very early stages of a player's career, there's a long way to go yet.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #38: Oct 29, 2017 06:05:50 pm
      Former U17 World Cup Golden Boot winners:

2015 - Victor Osimhen (Nigeria), 18 years old, currently at Wolfsburg.
      2013 - Valmir Berisha (Sweden), 21, currently at Aalesunds FK.
      2011 - Souleymane Coulibaly (Ivory Coast), 22, currently free agent if wikipedia is correct. Silver Boot was our very own Yesil, now 23 at Panionios in Greece. Bronze Boot was Adryan from my Brazilian team Flamengo, currently at Sion in Switzerland.
      2009 - Borja (Spain), 25, on loan at Malaga from Swansea.
      2007 - Macauley Chrisantus (Nigeria), 27, currently at Lamia in Greece.
      2005 - Carlos Vela (Mexico), 28, currently at Real Sociedad, moving to Los Angeles FC soon.
      2003 - Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Carlos Hidalgo (Colombia),  Manuel Curto (Portugal). All 30 or 31 yo, at Chelsea, Sonsonate (El Salvador) and Torreense (Portuguese lower leagues) respectively.

That's how far back in time you need to go to actually find someone who won the golden boot award at this competition and ended up "making it". Nigeria have won the competition more times than anyone else and that hardly translates to greatness in the first team either. England have now equaled Saudi Arabia and Switzerland with one trophy.

So keep your head down and continue to hard work hard Rhian, this is hardly a massive achievement in the grand scheme of things - though it surely is at this stage for him - but it's important that he keeps his feet on the ground.
      We are not basing how good he will be just from the golden boot award. Some of these players will be loaned to league teams in Jan to senior teams.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #39: Oct 29, 2017 06:52:39 pm
      We are not basing how good he will be just from the golden boot award. Some of these players will be loaned to league teams in Jan to senior teams.

Fair enough. I'm not saying the kid isn't good, just that we shouldn't take more from it than what's actually there. There's a tendency to overestimate players based on performances in those competitions and truth is that success at that level doesn't really seem to correlate much with success in professional football. It's still too early and some players develop faster but then others catch up and they end up looking far less special than they did among teenagers.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #40: Oct 30, 2017 05:30:55 am

Diego's right, F**k the joy and glory as our old managerial greats might say, it means F**k all if he doesn't carry on working to make the grade.

To think that's how we used to celebrate our league championships, with the likes of coaches Fagan and Moran giving the players medals telling them it meant nothing and go out and do it all over again!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #41: Oct 30, 2017 09:23:38 am
      That's how far back in time you need to go to actually find someone who won the golden boot award at this competition and ended up "making it".

A good point worth noting.

There was a stat on Match of the Day about England's Under 20 World Cup winners from this year (not the Under 17s) and only 4 of them have player a Premier League game this season.  This is 19/20 year olds who are the 'best in the world' and they aren't even getting games in their own league.

Having seen that I can totally understand how 17 year olds have got almost no chance of getting a real opportunity.

I genuinely believe that a La Liga model with 'B' teams up to the 2nd division would really give younger talented players an opportunity to shine because I'm not sure the U23 comps give enough challenge.  At 21,22 you should be playing in a competitive league against men not other boys IMO.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #42: Oct 30, 2017 09:29:37 am
      A good point worth noting.

There was a stat on Match of the Day about England's Under 20 World Cup winners from this year (not the Under 17s) and only 4 of them have player a Premier League game this season.  This is 19/20 year olds who are the 'best in the world' and they aren't even getting games in their own league.

Having seen that I can totally understand how 17 year olds have got almost no chance of getting a real opportunity.

I genuinely believe that a La Liga model with 'B' teams up to the 2nd division would really give younger talented players an opportunity to shine because I'm not sure the U23 comps give enough challenge.  At 21,22 you should be playing in a competitive league against men not other boys IMO.
      There is nothing forcing Englands youngsters to sign for non English clubs, if they are good enough there are German, Spanish, Italian leagues etc... even Dutch, Japanese, Greek leagues etc... or failing that they can get loans in the Scottish leagues. If they want to stay in u23 they are hindering themselves, getting a loan deal locally is not always possible.
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017 09:33:53 am by Ribapuru »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #43: Nov 03, 2017 05:48:04 pm
      Good prospect but is it wrong that I find him very F***ing annoying?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #44: Nov 03, 2017 05:52:30 pm
      Good prospect but is it wrong that I find him very f**king annoying?

In what sense? Not seen enough of him myself to judge.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #45: Nov 03, 2017 05:53:20 pm
      Good prospect but is it wrong that I find him very f**king annoying?

Absolutely not. First impressions count.

I’ve got this far in life assuming everyone (including my family - especially in some cases) are cu*ts until they prove definitively, over a sustained period, otherwise.

Even then they only get a month to month pass.

Quick Reply