Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rhian Brewster (Liverpool -> Sheffield United)

Read 85009 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #184: Jan 17, 2020 12:04:26 pm
      he had 440 days  with one injury until March last season and had had further ankle injuries this year. He isn't surplus to requirements where has that been said he has gone to Swansea to get match fit and find some form which he cant really do on the bench or playing for the U23's. Get this lad fit and firing in a couple of year he will be a natural replacement for one of our aging forwards and he will only be 22 or 23. It took Mo some years to develop into the player we see today and needed to get away from Chelsea to progress. I have seen Rhian at Liverpool and International level he is a superb finisher and with pace to burn he just needs time

Is right walt lad.

Crazy anyone can say a young lad with such a horrible run of injuries can be surplus. Hes not surplus hes a teenager still learning and trying to get fit enough to compete with 3 of the best strikers in the world. Jeez.

He might not be near our level for another season again, maybe a loan spell next season will be best for him.

Compare to Jones, whi is in his 20s now and still not a regular, but hes defo going to be.

Its not overnight success for most lads. it all takes time. with exception of say trent, but even he was eased into the team, and injury to clyne forced us to use him sooner.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #185: Jan 17, 2020 12:06:39 pm
      Is right walt lad.

Crazy anyone can say a young lad with such a horrible run of injuries can be surplus. Hes not surplus hes a teenager still learning and trying to get fit enough to compete with 3 of the best strikers in the world. Jeez.

He might not be near our level for another season again, maybe a loan spell next season will be best for him.

Compare to Jones, whi is in his 20s now and still not a regular, but hes defo going to be.

Its not overnight success for most lads. it all takes time. with exception of say trent, but even he was eased into the team, and injury to clyne forced us to use him sooner.

top striker will now cost £100mil so it is so worth developing this lad over the next 3 or 4 years and he will still only be 23.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #186: Jan 17, 2020 12:15:17 pm
      top striker will now cost £100mil so it is so worth developing this lad over the next 3 or 4 years and he will still only be 23.

Definitely, same as the convo about more MF players, jones and the like are ready to step up.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #187: Jan 17, 2020 01:51:59 pm
      Is right walt lad.

Curtis Jones is not in his 20s mate, he is 18, younger than Rhian. This is my point that both Jones and Elliott, while younger, have been far more impressive this season than Rhian, despite the latter being the one tipped for greatness.

Not sure why people are turning this in to an argument, at no point have I said we should get rid or he will never be good enough. I am saying that his performances this season have left a lot to be desired, particularly compared to most of the other youngsters. Anyway we’re all hoping for the same thing and that he’ll have a great career at Liverpool, just expressing my opinion on his performances thus far. All for having a debate over it but the whole bewilderment from some is a bit over the top.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #188: Jan 17, 2020 02:05:45 pm
      Curtis Jones is not in his 20s mate, he is 18, younger than Rhian. This is my point that both Jones and Elliott, while younger, have been far more impressive this season than Rhian, despite the latter being the one tipped for greatness.

Not sure why people are turning this in to an argument, at no point have I said we should get rid or he will never be good enough. I am saying that his performances this season have left a lot to be desired, particularly compared to most of the other youngsters. Anyway we’re all hoping for the same thing and that he’ll have a great career at Liverpool, just expressing my opinion on his performances thus far. All for having a debate over it but the whole bewilderment from some is a bit over the top.

Neither Jones or Elliot had a severe injury mate.
      Not a fair comparison imo and that's before we even look at the positions they play.

Give him some time, he'll be reet.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #189: Jan 17, 2020 02:56:57 pm

Christ on a bike your right, I was sure I heard jones was in his 20s. Just checked its Chirivella, hes 22.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #190: Jan 17, 2020 02:58:40 pm

Brewster will never be a main striker for us, he just doesn't have that x factor that the best strikers have, perhaps we can sell him to Bournemouth where he can join other rising stars like Ibe and Solanke ;-)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #191: Jan 17, 2020 03:52:34 pm
      Christ on a bike your right, I was sure I heard jones was in his 20s. Just checked its Chirivella, hes 22.

I was hoping thinking of someone who is 22 being "old" in any way would make me feel younger.

It doesn't you know.  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #192: Jan 17, 2020 03:53:08 pm
      Brewster will never be a main striker for us, he just doesn't have that x factor that the best strikers have, perhaps we can sell him to Bournemouth where he can join other rising stars like Ibe and Solanke ;-)

a bit like you not being a top poster then. what about your Danny Ings prediction he was another player damned with terrible injuries and damned by you yey now with a good preseason and games under his belt is scoring for fun in a very AVG team. Ask anyone who has watched Rhian before his injury he was superb and Jürgen knows it and will bring him along slowly over the next few seasons . Over 400 days out with a serious injury 19 years old and his own supporters writing the lads chances of.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #193: Jan 17, 2020 04:27:42 pm
      Neither Jones or Elliot had a severe injury mate.
      Not a fair comparison imo and that's before we even look at the positions they play.

Give him some time, he'll be reet.
      Fair point on the injury mate although I don’t agree on the position, it’s all relative IMO.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #194: Jan 17, 2020 05:12:46 pm
      Fair point on the injury mate although I don’t agree on the position, it’s all relative IMO.

So are you saying that a Centre forward is no less difficult position than Midfield or defender ? 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #195: Jan 17, 2020 05:20:27 pm

How can you make such a judgement without him even been given a chance to show what he can do

The lad showed how much ability he had during the U17 World Cup where he was top scorer -

He has suffered with injuries but Klopp rates him that highly he didn’t sign a replacement for Sturridge because of him

He is 19 - how you can dismiss him so easily when let’s be honest you have hardly seen him play

He will come back and he will be given a chance and prove you wrong once again
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #196: Jan 17, 2020 05:27:32 pm

How can you make such a judgement without him even been given a chance to show what he can do

The lad showed how much ability he had during the U17 World Cup where he was top scorer -

He has suffered with injuries but Klopp rates him that highly he didn’t sign a replacement for Sturridge because of him

He is 19 - how you can dismiss him so easily when let’s be honest you have hardly seen him play

he has a poor record with his predictions so going by previous ones Rhian will be world class by the time he is 21.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #197: Jan 17, 2020 06:01:26 pm
      So are you saying that a Centre forward is no less difficult position than Midfield or defender ?
      What I’m comparing is the performances of a young striker playing in a striker’s role to a young winger playing in a winger’s role. I am not comparing how many goals they have scored, crosses they have made, aerial duels they have won or big chances they have saved. What position they play is irrelevant.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #198: Jan 17, 2020 06:03:21 pm

I just think that  striker is a more visible position, and it's much easier to point out flaws or shortcomings mate, the same as with a 'keeper but to a lesser extent.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #199: Jan 17, 2020 06:04:09 pm

He wanted Salah benched a few weeks back.  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #200: Jan 17, 2020 06:06:05 pm
      What I’m comparing is the performances of a young striker playing in a striker’s role to a young winger playing in a winger’s role. I am not comparing how many goals they have scored, crosses they have made, aerial duels they have won or big chances they have saved. What position they play is irrelevant.

of course it is scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do on a pitch. You can pass the ball well make tackles all day long but unless someone scores a goal all the others play is redundant. It is so much easier to shine in midfield or defence than it is as a forward  you simply cant compare them and the price tag of forwards would suggest this is indeed the case.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #201: Jan 17, 2020 06:19:35 pm
      of course it is scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do on a pitch. You can pass the ball well make tackles all day long but unless someone scores a goal all the others play is redundant. It is so much easier to shine in midfield or defence than it is as a forward  you simply cant compare them and the price tag of forwards would suggest this is indeed the case.
      I take the point that you and Swab are making so fair enough, however I wasn’t thinking about the amount of goals he had scored when I mentioned his performances. Firmino is one of my favourite forwards of all time and he can hardly be described as prolific.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #202: Jan 17, 2020 06:37:31 pm
      While we’re on the subject though I’d argue that centre back is the most difficult position to shine. I mean player of the year awards are usually dominated by forwards and it’s taken colossal performances by VVD in the last couple of years to even challenge for the Ballon D’or. I’d say this is even more true for young players. A mistake as a forward is not usually anywhere near as costly as a mistake from a defender, particularly a centre back as it will most likely lead to a chance for the opposition to score. Sorry to drag out the point, just my 2 pennies worth.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #203: Jan 17, 2020 06:42:43 pm
      While we’re on the subject though I’d argue that centre back is the most difficult position to shine. I mean player of the year awards are usually dominated by forwards and it’s taken colossal performances by VVD in the last couple of years to even challenge for the Ballon D’or. I’d say this is even more true for young players. A mistake as a forward is not usually anywhere near as costly as a mistake from a defender, particularly a centre back as it will most likely lead to a chance for the opposition to score. Sorry to drag out the point, just my 2 pennies worth.

whilst you think a CB is more difficult than a strikers position there is no point in continuing this. Teams never win much without having the best strikers available. Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Kenny,Rushie,Robbie,Owen,Torres,Suarez and now the three Amigos.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #204: Jan 17, 2020 06:51:08 pm
      whilst you think a CB is more difficult than a strikers position there is no point in continuing this. Teams never win much without having the best strikers available. Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Kenny,Rushie,Robbie,Owen,Torres,Suarez and now the three Amigos.
      Ok mate we’ll agree to disagree but I’ll leave you with this. Ron Yeats, Tommy Smith, Alan Hansen, Lawro, Sami Hyppia, Virgil Van Dijk.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #205: Jan 17, 2020 09:15:56 pm
      Based on Rhian's negative comments about his future how many players would have made it had they been written off at 19.
      Mo, Sadio, Virgil. Joel, Bobby all struggled early on in their Careers but worked hard found a Coach who would work with them individually to help them improve and hey presto they became World Class in their mid to late 20's.
      Players like Trent only come along once in a generation  and we just need to treasure him as some sort of gift
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #206: Jan 17, 2020 09:32:10 pm
      Don't think he's quite reached the level he was maybe expected to by this stage of the current season, again injuries have played their part and in the brief time he has been on the pitch he's looked a bit short of the potential talked about. But that said, he needs game time and unfortunately the standard of player he is competing with probably couldn't be any higher right now, like a few other youngsters in the team, it's bad timing for them.

But this loan move is just what he needs, playing hopefully every week and get that experience he badly needs, get that confidence and generally grow into first team football and play matches at a higher level than what he's used to.

It's easy to forget though, in the last 18months/2years, he has played very, very little football other than training so looking back, maybe we, as in the supporters expected a little bit too much of him this season. He's come into first team level off the back of a bad injury so wasn't going to be easy.

Hopefully the loan move goes brilliantly for him and it probably wouldn't be the worst idea to loan him out again next season and then hopefully he can come and really fulfill that potential with us.

Quick Reply