Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rhian Brewster (Liverpool -> Sheffield United)

Read 85038 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #506: Sep 17, 2020 07:50:40 pm
      I don't see Divock as a barrier for Brewster. For whatever reason Klopp plays Origi on the wing (where i don't think he's all that good) while Brewster would be more of a "fox in the box" CF.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #507: Sep 17, 2020 08:44:17 pm
      Brewster is a pure striker, a box player. To be a regular starter for Klopp's Liverpool you need to offer more than that.

It's interesting that we've been linked with Sarr, looks to have great potential. He could be cover for Mane or Salah, and then we have taki who can operate in Firmino's role. That would be a complete squad for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #508: Sep 17, 2020 08:52:06 pm
      Brewster is a pure striker, a box player. To be a regular starter for Klopp's Liverpool you need to offer more than that.

Not necessarily, depends on the player. For example, Lewandowski was a key man for his Dortmund team despite being not much more than just a box player, or to put it better “pure striker” like you said.
      A lot is expected to be able to play for a Klopp team but he will break the mould on occasions for the right player if it will benefit the team.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #509: Sep 17, 2020 08:59:41 pm
      I was thinking Lewandowski. He is a sort of tradional striker, but he does have a very high level of ability. He can go past people and do the unexpected, he can be spectacular.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #510: Sep 17, 2020 09:10:13 pm
      Not necessarily, depends on the player. For example, Lewandowski was a key man for his Dortmund team despite being not much more than just a box player, or to put it better “pure striker” like you said.
      A lot is expected to be able to play for a Klopp team but he will break the mould on occasions for the right player if it will benefit the team.

Definitely but it appears Brewster doesn't fit that.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #511: Sep 18, 2020 10:21:12 am
      It really is quite simple (( on paper )) get rid of Origi & Shaqiri and keep Brewster. Give the lad his head as a substitute and see where it takes you.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #512: Sep 18, 2020 10:43:35 am
      If Jürgen is willing to let him go then he must be short of some element that Jürgen expects from his players.

We as fans always hope that these young players with potential get the chance, always hoping for the next Fowler and Owen. Clubs must want that to. A player coming through the ranks can save millions. So to allow him leave suggests they are uncertain about something.

Either that or we are extremely kind putting his development ahead of our needs
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #513: Sep 18, 2020 02:55:18 pm
      If its true absolute madness, this kid could be a goal scoring machine for us, when he has had minutes, he scores goals, and that is a fact, give him at least 45 mins against Chelsea, not a couple of minutes at the end, i know it is hard to criticise Klopp, but if they let Brewster go, massive mistake.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #514: Sep 18, 2020 03:37:46 pm
      Whilst I agree with you and I'd have him staying, in the bits we've seen him play the lad's got great potential but Klopp sees him a lot more than we do and if he can't see him fitting into the machine he's created then so be it.

He scores a lot of opportunistic goals unless I'm seeing something different than most. Not to say that's a bad thing, I'd rather see him come in the game than Origi for what it's worth. But, to me, Brewster looks to be at about a Danny Ings level of quality when he hits his peak. So maybe Klopp thinks he's worth more to us selling than keeping?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #515: Sep 19, 2020 05:46:11 am
      Still hope Rhian stays with us, and if he does leave this season, that it is on loan and not from being sold. Even then I hope we wait until January. Just seems that Jürgen paid special attention to him for 2 1/2 seasons and it would be odd to let him as he gets closer to bearing fruit.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #516: Sep 19, 2020 12:31:45 pm
      Still hope Rhian stays with us, and if he does leave this season, that it is on loan and not from being sold. Even then I hope we wait until January. Just seems that Jürgen paid special attention to him for 2 1/2 seasons and it would be odd to let him as he gets closer to bearing fruit.

Yeh hopefully because we don't want to sell 2 rough gems in one window. 
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #517: Oct 02, 2020 05:11:28 pm
      Sounds official on Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54385078

Rhian Brewster: Sheffield United set to sign Liverpool striker

Liverpool forward Rhian Brewster is set to sign for Sheffield United in a club record deal worth £23.5m.

The package for the England Under-21 international includes a buy-back option for three years and the Reds will get 15% of any sell-on fee.

Brewster, 20, helped England win the Under-17 World Cup in 2017 and scored 11 goals in 22 appearances while on loan at Swansea City last season.

The Blades are yet to score in three Premier League games this season.

Several English top-flight clubs - including Aston Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Fulham and Newcastle United - had inquired about signing Brewster on loan.

He won the Golden Boot with eight goals at the Under-17 World Cup, playing in an England team alongside Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden and Borussia Dortmund forward Jadon Sancho.

"I can't confirm that it's all been done but we have been in negotiations with Liverpool for a while and discussions between the player and the club are still ongoing," said Blades boss Chris Wilder on Friday.

"There's nothing to announce at this minute but we are down the line.

"It is an area we need to improve and that's not being disrespectful to the strikers we already have here. We need competition in the group."

Brewster has recovered after suffering a serious ankle injury in January 2018 which ruled him out for the rest of that season.

The forward has made four Liverpool appearances, three in 2019-20 cup competitions and once as a substitute in the penalty-shootout defeat by Arsenal in this season's Community Shield.

"He couldn't make it here so far but he has made big steps in his development," said Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp.

"Rhian was really seriously injured and first we had to make sure he was ready again for all the demands of professional football and he is, 100%.

"When you are younger, [it is important] a player like Rhian in this position up front now makes the next steps and uses the time he lost during the serious injury - so it is possible a move to another club would make sense."

United's previous record signing was the £22m they paid for Norwegian midfielder Sander Berge from Belgian side Genk in January.

Blades forward Lys Mousset is out injured while Oli Burke is yet to get off the mark since he arrived as part of a swap deal with Callum Robinson, who has scored twice for this new side West Brom this season.

David McGoldrick is seen as a link-up player and only scored twice in the Premier League last season.

Wilder's side, who are 19th in the Premier League, have a tough run of upcoming fixtures. They travel to Arsenal on Sunday before a trip to champions Liverpool on 24 October and they then host Manchester City a week later.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #518: Oct 02, 2020 05:46:16 pm
      heimdall Not posted for few days? Opinions mate?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #519: Oct 02, 2020 05:49:20 pm
      heimdall Not posted for few days? Opinions mate?

Fucks sake, just don't say his name 3 times, like F***ing Beetlejuice.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #520: Oct 02, 2020 05:59:51 pm
      Best of luck to him
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #521: Oct 02, 2020 07:11:58 pm
      Hope we do get him back some day.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #522: Oct 02, 2020 07:15:59 pm
      He's gone now, record fee for them paid
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #523: Oct 02, 2020 07:41:44 pm
      I think he could have been a goal scoring machine for us, what is puzzling,is that Klopp will not drop Firmino,no matter how sh*t he plays,so i suppose Brewster,had no choice,because he was never going to get 1st team games,if Firmino stays fit.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #524: Oct 02, 2020 07:58:41 pm
      I've got mixed feelings about this one.

Pro's

- We've just got 23 million for a player who has scored 11 goals in the Championship and i think possibly one, maybe 2 senior goals for LFC
      - The sell-on could be another earner in the future
      - The buy-back means we could get the lad back if he blossoms and others are in for him in a year or two
      - He clearly isn't quite Klopp's cup of tea, is very much a box player and not the false 9 that we play with in Bobby (and with Taki as understudy)
      - Ings wasn't quite what Klopp wanted, he went and scored more Prem goals than any of our lads last season but we all know he would have struggled for match time at LFC had he stayed
      - It's a good price for a lad who probably won't figure much this season
      - I don't think he would have been happy to sit on the bench and play in the cups, you can tell he just wants to play
      - Got to trust the manager on this. We're not looking to loan out or sell young Curtis Jones because the manager believes in him. simple as that.

Cons
      - A year long loan was a better option, if this lad is a hit he probably adds 15 million to that price tag in one season (that's how it is with English players)
      - Still not convinced on Minamino, had we kept him, Brewster's goals might have forced him in to the team
      - He shone at Swansea, he shone at the Under-17 World Cup and he looked very good in pre-season for LFC. We might be letting an absolute gem go here.

I played my wildcard in fantasy footy last week and brought him in, he's a bargain at £4.5 mill and will go into my team for the weekend!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #525: Oct 02, 2020 08:35:13 pm
      Fucks sake, just don't say his name 3 times, like f**king Beetlejuice.

:lmao:
      Kopite78
      Reply #526: Oct 02, 2020 10:33:56 pm
      I think he could have been a goal scoring machine for us, what is puzzling,is that Klopp will not drop Firmino,no matter how sh*t he plays,so i suppose Brewster,had no choice,because he was never going to get 1st team games,if Firmino stays fit.

Bobby is integral to how we play, and as much as I like Rhian as a prospect he cant do what Bobby does for the team and for Mo and Sadio
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #527: Oct 03, 2020 03:30:57 am
      Good bit of business for us here. Good luck Rhian.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #528: Oct 03, 2020 06:08:49 am
      Bobby is integral to how we play, and as much as I like Rhian as a prospect he cant do what Bobby does for the team and for Mo and Sadio

I understand Firmino's role in the side,but he is not a natural goal scorer,he managed 9 goals in 38 games last season, how many goals would a prime Ian rush,or Robbie fowler have got,playing alongside Mane and Salah ? just wish Brewster was given more chances in the 1st team playing alongside Mane and Salah,of course it is good business for the club,to get that kind of money for such a young player, just feel we have been a bit hasty in letting him go.

Quick Reply