Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      39 (48.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      24 (30%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.3%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (6.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      5 (6.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Jan 29, 2017 09:58:07 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35461 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Jan 26, 2017 10:26:56 am
      I will tell you one thing - Sturridge is no longer pacy - he looks terrified of pulling a hammy.

Apart from our keepers everyone is out of form bar firmino

We need an international break

Firmino isn't exactly in great form either.

One good game in every six isn't really form.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #737: Jan 26, 2017 10:32:03 am
      Lacking creativity in midfield, simple as.

Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum - not good enough.

Look at the midfielders in the teams around us in the league at the minute - Matic, Ozil, Carzola, De Bruyne, Silva, Eriksen.

Any player of that skill level in place of Wijnaldum or Can this season and we'd be a few points closer to Chelsea.

I'm not sure those players were the best examples because Matic is the only central midfielder on the list, the other players I would compare favourably to Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana.

The biggest issue we have right now is width, we need to see genuine partnerships between the fullbacks and the wide forwards. Get some two on ones and try to reach the by-line and work the ball from there. And I wouldn't be looking for crosses because we aren't too good at attacking them, I'd prefer we try to play the way Arsenal do, they often score goals from 2 on 1s and the. A cut back across the box for the shot at goal. At the moment we are asking the full-backs to do it all. I'd be tempted to look at the shape of the side and tweak things.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #738: Jan 26, 2017 10:32:21 am
      Firmino isn't exactly in great form either.

One good game in every six isn't really form.

Not his fault for playing as a winger.

Scored two goals against Swansea when he was shifted to the center, where he should and always be playing in.

Not a coincidence. He isn't a very versatile player, but he is a quality player when played correctly.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #739: Jan 26, 2017 11:04:10 am
      Is it true this is the first time we've lost both legs of a League Cup tie and also first time failing to score in either leg?

We're  setting records left right and cente at the moment, almost as bad as Moyes.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #740: Jan 26, 2017 11:21:29 am
      Lacking creativity in midfield, simple as.

Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum - not good enough.

Look at the midfielders in the teams around us in the league at the minute - Matic, Ozil, Carzola, De Bruyne, Silva, Eriksen.

Any player of that skill level in place of Wijnaldum or Can this season and we'd be a few points closer to Chelsea.
      Kenny Bought Henderson and started playing him out on the right replacing Dirk Kuyt (Not the most natural of wingers) and soon found that he was wanting... He has since then been tried as a AM, and a DM and found to be average in both positions...Jordan Henderson is a average player...Jury still out on Emre Can... and cannot for the life of me see what Wijnaldum brings to the dance... We should have kept Joe Allen played him more and spent the Wijnaldum money elsewhere...

I find that when you point out to some of our fellow supporters that a player is average, they view as either someone with very little knowledge of what you are talking about or as disloyal to LFC... We as supporters have put up with "Average" players for so long at the club that we believe that when we get a manager like Klopp who gets more than expected from them that they were always great players when in fact they are still average players playing out of their skins

We waste far to much money on players with "Potential Talent" and not enough on "Proven Talent"... For me there are two things wrong with that approach... (a) Too often that "Potential Talent" fails to live up to that exception and is sold on, and yes some will point out that you may find a gem or two and when sold on bring in a large amount of money, a one in 20, 30, 40?...a figure that is easily dwarfed by the money wasted on those who fail to make the grade... (b) Is that not why we have our Academies?... To find and develop "Potential Talent"?... The other problem with buy in  "Potential Talent" is we fail to give our youth the chances that they should be getting to play in the first team, and to either progress or to find a level that they can achieve and be moved on to a club of that level (Ibe & Bournemouth, Kelly& Crystal Palace)... We paid £20 mil plus for Lazar Markovic when we could have been developing Ojo,Ejaria or anyone of the talent we have in his place... And yes we are going to miss out on "Potential Talent" here and there, but guess what... We do that already... All I am advocating is that instead of wasting shed loads of money trying to find that one or two gems that are out there, we (LFC) keep that money and when a player reaches his "Potential" we then try and buy him... At least that way we are getting "Proven Talent" instead of unfulfilled "Potential Talent" and our team improves more quickly
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #741: Jan 26, 2017 11:22:37 am
      Think the boss made two mistakes in his team last night. Should have played Moreno (who is hopeless as a defender but can cross a ball) instead of Milner (who can't cross a ball with his left foot, so always has to stop and move it to his right to get a cross in- as well as that- why can't he take a decent corner?) and Origi, or OJO, on the right,  instead of Can in midfield and dropped Lallana back into Can's position.

Why does the boss insist on playing Can?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #742: Jan 26, 2017 11:23:14 am
      It was like the Monty Python Life of Brian film when the centurions came under attack and the order to 'run away, run away' was always given.

The movie was funny.
      bang on stuey  ;D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #743: Jan 26, 2017 11:50:47 am
      Thought we were very static no pace anywhere on the field best team in both legs went through, a very worrieing time we seem to be unraveling all over the team
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2821 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #744: Jan 26, 2017 12:51:09 pm
      only thing worth saying on last night was well done Karius again, few solid performances now after shipping some stick. Also CAn looked much better last night particularly 2nd half.

After that there was no difference to previous few games
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #745: Jan 26, 2017 01:05:39 pm
      Not his fault for playing as a winger.

Scored two goals against Swansea when he was shifted to the center, where he should and always be playing in.

Not a coincidence. He isn't a very versatile player, but he is a quality player when played correctly.

You're making out he's a prolific striker when he has the central position to himself.

So, he scored two good goals against Swansea, his first for 6 games, prior to that you have to go back as far as Watford (7 games) to find his next goal.

Swansea included he's scored 4 in 14 games while for the most part he's certainly played that central role. Fact is, during this time his form had dropped from the loftier heights he was setting earlier on in the season.

He's good in the central role because he presses, but when teams sit-in like they have been doing for a while now he'll probably bang one in every 6-7 games (going on his most recent form).
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #746: Jan 26, 2017 01:34:41 pm
      why do we beat big teams play them off park then lose sh*t teams,
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #747: Jan 26, 2017 01:39:06 pm
      Still Gutted,  I was looking forward to giving the MUtants a battering in the final, I've calmed down now, everyone is safe to speak to me now,!

Well done Southampton you done us like a kipper, both legs, normally I'd be spitting feathers at the bus parkers but Saints played the perfect game, let us have the ball and hit us on the counter, it worked a treat for them and tbh they could have had 5/6 over the two legs,
      We didn't look like scoring home or away,

Our mids simply aren't good enough, Hendo Can, Gini nowhere near the quality we need, Lallana did ok but that's all, Coutinho tried and tried again but had no runners into space, so it went from one side to the next and back again, Bobby was stifled, Sturridge ineffective, all that and no pace,

TAA had a good game he had more pace than anyone, got caught a few times defensively but he's learning, Karius was very good again, my motm kept us in early doors but alas proved fruitless in the end,

We definitely need a plan b most teams can set themselves up now to counter our play, so it's back to the drawing board for Klopp and Buvac.

Gutted!!

YNWA
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #748: Jan 26, 2017 03:24:12 pm
      You're making out he's a prolific striker when he has the central position to himself.

So, he scored two good goals against Swansea, his first for 6 games, prior to that you have to go back as far as Watford (7 games) to find his next goal.

Swansea included he's scored 4 in 14 games while for the most part he's certainly played that central role. Fact is, during this time his form had dropped from the loftier heights he was setting earlier on in the season.

He's good in the central role because he presses, but when teams sit-in like they have been doing for a while now he'll probably bang one in every 6-7 games (going on his most recent form).

I think you somewhat underestimate his link up play down the middle. His understanding with Coutinho is great. Down the left flank all he does is cut in and pass it to Hendo over and over.

I would like to see some stats about his goals scored per game from the middle and from the wing, but even without stats, for me he has to play down the middle every time. I'd be willing to drop Sturridge and play Ojo or even Moreno down the left wing. The combination of a right footed LB and a right footed LW just makes me want to cry.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #749: Jan 26, 2017 05:49:37 pm
      Fundamentals of attacking are lacking. Pass and move pass and move. We had pass and static or pass and run where a pass isn't on.

That's what annoys me so much about Can. I think there are some players that look better when you watch them in the flesh, and I'd suggest Firmino and Wijnaldum are among them - the amount of work they do off the ball, the movement, etc, I find it quite impressive most of the time. And I'm inclined to think the opposite is true of Can. He looks worse at the stadium. Last night, needing to score, only a few minutes to go, he makes a simple pass to his left and just stands where he is, literally walking. There was a game recently, can't remember which one, that he literally stood still behind Sturridge who had the ball and was trying to create something or even find some space for himself, and Can was neither making himself available for a pass, nor making things harder for the opposition by constantly moving, attracting markers, etc.

I know lots of people love having a go at Henderson, but he is not like that, he tries to move and make himself available. Gini at his best is superb at this, which is why his combinations with Lallana are so effective. But Can isn't on the same wavelength and for his own sake - because believe me, it gives me no pleasure to criticize him - he probably should be off the team right now, or at the very least re-think his role in the team.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #750: Jan 26, 2017 08:56:09 pm
      sad watching sturridge chasing that ball in front of the kop.

Not sure exactly which you mean ... but there was one little run that stuck out for me - he was heading in direction of the Kop, left side just outside the box, running for a through ball ... and it looked like he was running in treacle.
      Was one of those moments were you go you get a serious wake up call.  Know he's not as quick as he was, but that was an eye opener. Still has the quick feet, but speed over the ground is a different story.
      Can't base a future on one 'treacle run', but the longer the season goes on, the less chance would see of him being here next season.  I'm a fan, and hope he turns it around, but right now he's going in the wrong direction.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #751: Jan 26, 2017 09:27:05 pm
      At least we won't have to endure the embarrassment of getting beat by the Scum in the final now.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #752: Jan 26, 2017 09:44:19 pm
      Anyone at the game last night?...In the new Main stand?
      I heard it was absolutely freezing to the point of near frostbite in that swirling easterly blast.
      There was a bloke sat next to Kenny in the directors box who looked like some sumo bodyguard wrapped in a red fleece blanket freezing his tits off..

Just thought i'd ask as the new Main stand is so open and it was really cold and windy last night during the game.
      well it looked that way on the telly...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #753: Jan 26, 2017 10:13:37 pm
      Anyone at the game last night?...In the new Main stand?
      I heard it was absolutely freezing to the point of near frostbite in that swirling easterly blast.
      There was a bloke sat next to Kenny in the directors box who looked like some sumo bodyguard wrapped in a red fleece blanket freezing his tits off..

Just thought i'd ask as the new Main stand is so open and it was really cold and windy last night during the game.
      well it looked that way on the telly...

I was there for the Swansea game and at one point I could barely feel my feet and hands, it was absolutely freezing!

And I think it was actually colder for the Southampton match, but thankfully I was in the upper Kop for this one, shielded from the wind near the corner.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion 😥
      Reply #754: Jan 26, 2017 10:52:48 pm

Yea, he looked comfortable in his blankee :)
      Saw Rushie behind him at one point, camera caught him shaking his head - maybe we should have brought him on for the last 10 minutes...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #755: Jan 26, 2017 11:54:53 pm
      Not sure exactly which you mean ... but there was one little run that stuck out for me - he was heading in direction of the Kop, left side just outside the box, running for a through ball ... and it looked like he was running in treacle.
      Was one of those moments were you go you get a serious wake up call.  Know he's not as quick as he was, but that was an eye opener. Still has the quick feet, but speed over the ground is a different story.
      Can't base a future on one 'treacle run', but the longer the season goes on, the less chance would see of him being here next season.  I'm a fan, and hope he turns it around, but right now he's going in the wrong direction.

I thought he ran after that ball, thinking he was favourite to reach it and didn't really put any effort in. Then the defender caught him, then he accelerated a bit more, but too late, the opportunity was lost. Don't think he gave it 100% to start.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #756: Jan 27, 2017 12:01:15 am
      That's what annoys me so much about Can. I think there are some players that look better when you watch them in the flesh, and I'd suggest Firmino and Wijnaldum are among them - the amount of work they do off the ball, the movement, etc, I find it quite impressive most of the time. And I'm inclined to think the opposite is true of Can. He looks worse at the stadium. Last night, needing to score, only a few minutes to go, he makes a simple pass to his left and just stands where he is, literally walking. There was a game recently, can't remember which one, that he literally stood still behind Sturridge who had the ball and was trying to create something or even find some space for himself, and Can was neither making himself available for a pass, nor making things harder for the opposition by constantly moving, attracting markers, etc.

I know lots of people love having a go at Henderson, but he is not like that, he tries to move and make himself available. Gini at his best is superb at this, which is why his combinations with Lallana are so effective. But Can isn't on the same wavelength and for his own sake - because believe me, it gives me no pleasure to criticize him - he probably should be off the team right now, or at the very least re-think his role in the team.

Diego, this is spot on, been moaning about Cans contribution, or lack of it for weeks now. I Just don't think he's up to the level required, and I just don't see what Klopp sees in him, But who am I to judge comparatively Eh?
      Kopite78
      Reply #757: Jan 27, 2017 12:52:13 pm
      I haven't watched the game back,.only at the game itself

Can anyone tell me out of interest cause I've not seen it, the 'penalty' second half that Klopp was going mad about...
      Was it one?

Not that it matters now but just interested.  I thought the ref was awful for what it's worth
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #758: Jan 27, 2017 12:56:50 pm
      I haven't watched the game back,.only at the game itself

Can anyone tell me out of interest cause I've not seen it, the 'penalty' second half that Klopp was going mad about...
      Was it one?

Not that it matters now but just interested.  I thought the ref was awful for what it's worth

I thought so.
      The lad clearly stuck his arm out, and was starting to bring it back in when the ball hit him, but if one of the criteria is a "natural position" then it was a clear pen for me.
      It wasn't that different from the one given against Mane, except the ball hit him further up the arm.

I think you're right about the ref as well, but at the end of the day, we had our chances and didn't take them.
      We really didn't play badly, but as usual with this run, we couldn't finish anything.

Quick Reply